***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,548,072 Views | 47728 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by 74OA
P.U.T.U
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
All is fair in war, Ukraine has been going after Russian O&G facilities, Russia has started attacking Ukraine power facilities. Both parties held off for a while but now they are going after civilian stations
AtticusMatlock
Russia has been targeting civilian infrastructure throughout the conflict. Winter 2022-2023 was pretty brutal in Ukraine due to Russia inflicting so much damage on the power plants.
Waffledynamics
AG
P.U.T.U said:

All is fair in war, Ukraine has been going after Russian O&G facilities, Russia has started attacking Ukraine power facilities. Both parties held off for a while but now they are going after civilian stations
This isn't a new thing for Russia.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

The Ukrainian President announces the signing of a 10-year security agreement with Latvia
https://liveuamap.com/en/2024/11-april-the-ukrainian-president-announces-the-signing-of
MouthBQ98
AG
Ukraine hesitated to hit civilian infrastructure in occupied areas but the reality has sunk in that they have to risk causing their citizens in occupied areas to suffer some in order to increase odds of success in the war, as Russia is fully exploiting that infrastructure. This may be some tacit admission that they understand they are unlikely to recover those territories even though they can't publicly say it.
Dirt 05
AG
+ SU25's for close air support and SU 27 fighters.

They had several dozen operational aircraft at the outbreak of the war, and would guess that attrition has reduced that number by more than half.

The F16's slated to go to Ukraine would upgrade capabilities of SU25 (as air to ground), SU24 (in alcm role), and MiG 29's in multi role capacity and would at least complement or add numbers to help SU27's with CAP.

nortex97
AG
Correct on the Froggers, though I haven't seen any evidence of their employment of late, and I think the Mi-8 helo fleet is probably more used up close for support.

There's really no indication the 6 (upgraded) block 15 F-16's being projected to go into service this summer will be used in any kind of air to ground role, in an initial operating capability. When they get dozens more online, sure.

PJYoung
AG

2023NCAggies
PJYoung said:

damn fair to say they're pissed off
PJYoung
AG

Quote:

Gas dependency has not proved to be the weapon Putin envisaged during the mid-2010s when he sought to control central and southern Europe by reconfiguring transit from the second Nord Stream pipeline under the Baltic Sea to TurkStream under the Black Sea. For Russia, Europe's resilience has been a geopolitical disaster since, unlike with oil, Gazprom cannot replace European customers with Asian ones. The west Siberian fields are not set up to deliver liquefied natural gas exports and only China has a pipeline in the region.

Quote:

Yet Europe's large-scale shift to LNG in a world where Asian countries wish to use more gas has necessarily opened a new round in this near-decade-old competition. The US retains huge advantages. In 2023, it was the world's biggest LNG exporter with 80 per cent of the additional supply on the market last year coming from its ports. Nonetheless, Russian LNG imports to the EU rose by 38 per cent between 2021 and 2023, replacing about 10 per cent of the lost Siberian supply with gas from the Arctic.

Europe is still exposed to Russian ambition. The Biden administration has paused licenses for new LNG export projects. This may not last: the restriction is under legal challenge in Louisiana from 16 states, and this month has become entangled in the impasse in the House of Representatives on a vote on military aid to Ukraine. But the conflicts around American LNG reflect the fact that the ability of US energy companies to export is always subject to contested domestic politics.
docb
AG
Time to hit more Russian oil refineries. A LNG export terminal would be nice too. War is hell Mr. Putin.
txags92
AG
docb said:

Time to hit more Russian oil refineries. A LNG export terminal would be nice too. War is hell Mr. Putin.
Yeah, it is pretty obvious what Russia's goal is and where they can be most easily hurt. Hammer their LNG export facilities and shame the french and others into ceasing purchases of Russian gas and they can hurt Vlad. Getting Biden to let the US LNG projects continue would give Europe a much easier time believing that non-Russian supplies will be sufficiently reliable.
74OA
AG
PJYoung said:

Quote:

Gas dependency has not proved to be the weapon Putin envisaged during the mid-2010s when he sought to control central and southern Europe by reconfiguring transit from the second Nord Stream pipeline under the Baltic Sea to TurkStream under the Black Sea. For Russia, Europe's resilience has been a geopolitical disaster since, unlike with oil, Gazprom cannot replace European customers with Asian ones. The west Siberian fields are not set up to deliver liquefied natural gas exports and only China has a pipeline in the region.

Quote:

Yet Europe's large-scale shift to LNG in a world where Asian countries wish to use more gas has necessarily opened a new round in this near-decade-old competition. The US retains huge advantages. In 2023, it was the world's biggest LNG exporter with 80 per cent of the additional supply on the market last year coming from its ports. Nonetheless, Russian LNG imports to the EU rose by 38 per cent between 2021 and 2023, replacing about 10 per cent of the lost Siberian supply with gas from the Arctic.

Europe is still exposed to Russian ambition. The Biden administration has paused licenses for new LNG export projects. This may not last: the restriction is under legal challenge in Louisiana from 16 states, and this month has become entangled in the impasse in the House of Representatives on a vote on military aid to Ukraine. But the conflicts around American LNG reflect the fact that the ability of US energy companies to export is always subject to contested domestic politics.

Agree. There are 14 major LNG export projects approved by the USG and awaiting construction, with two others already in construction. By all reports, those are more projects than the industry can likely finance and complete for at least a decade. So, the Biden pause on even more approvals has zero impact on near to mid-term LNG export capacity or on current US global LNG dominance. LNG
74OA
AG
Ukraine's energy infrastructure takes a major hit, plus other updates from the front.

Today's SITREP.
nortex97
AG

Build It
AG
Europe, especially France is funding Russia through increased LNG sales.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/politico-france-imports-growing-levels-130116694.html

Can Ukraine put a strategy together to cut the money supply to Russia? How does Ukraine stop the Russian LNG exports? Do they take them out at the customer delivery site, special forces bombing France ports or pipelines? Do they bomb the LNG export terminals.?

If the Ukes want to win they must stop the flow of money. Europe is complicit in the war against Ukraine. When do the take it abroad?
cslifer
I'm no military strategist but it seems like committing acts of war against countries that have helped them is probably the wrong was for the Ukrainians to go.
Build It
AG
How is funding the enemy helping?
74OA
AG
Europe already planning for what happens if Ukraine loses. It's ugly.

NONSTOP
Gordo14
https://open.substack.com/pub/noahpinion/p/americans-are-still-not-worried-enough?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=email

Give Ukraine support now. It may be too late to stop the momentum towards WW3, but it's the only thing that has any chance.

It's time to wake the **** up.
Eliminatus
AG
74OA said:

NONSTOP

Europe fumbled the ball when Russia was down 30 pts going into the 4th. What they are JUST starting to grasp is that Russia is cooking at essentially a full war time economy and has been for many months now. Mix that with the fact that a tyrannical government can already pivot much faster than a democratic one and I can't help but feel that the crucial time window of smacking the Russians down for at least a generation has already been squandered.

I said a long time ago that I feared a resurgent Russian empire as being the worst case for this war and damn me if it isn't actually in the realm of feasibility now if things keep going awry on the political front.

Lots of horrible things are said about Putin, many of them by me, but I will also always nod in sullen anger when he said the west was weak. Been thinking that myself for well over a decade now. We, and especially the US, simply have no actual identity on global foreign policy. Geopolitics is simply the latest toy/weapon of the reigning administration largely to be used against the opposite party and nothing else.

That all being said, I still don't think the paper matches reality either. But it is equalizing to at least some degree on the macro scale though. It has to be. For example, the mocked Russian AF is now being used effectively, or at least effectively enough to make a battlefield difference, for once. Took them FAR longer to adopt there than a normal nation would and largely because lack of precision long range AA, but they still got there eventually. If the Iraqis can learn and adopt given enough time, so can the Russians. What I meant by that time window earlier.

IF the Russians ever actually become that true continental threat, the bitter irony will be it was because they had the time to do so, time the west wasted by dribbling in aid piece by piece because we didn't want to wake up said continental threat. How long did it take us to send in Bradley's for example? I still don't think it's doom and gloom quite yet but there is no denying that the military aid gridlocks across the west has destroyed any real chance of this war having a favorable outcome in a short time frame. If Ukraine does end up falling in the end, the West owns that failure collectively.
Build It
AG
I don't think it's collectively. Europe is funding Russia. We are not. Stop sending Russia money and the war can't go on.
74OA
AG
........and what's galling is, despite Europe's fumbling, the US could still effectively blunt any Russian resurgence by continuing to fund Ukraine's resistance for a relative pittance in dollars and at zero cost in US blood. Instead, we'll stand on the sidelines and far increase the likelihood of a wider, more expensive and bloodier conflict someday.
74OA
AG
Build It said:

I don't think it's collectively. Europe is funding Russia. We are not. Stop sending Russia money and the war can't go on.
The leaks in European sanctions are a fraction of what Russia is spending on Putin's war. In the meantime, Europe has spent far more than the US in support of Ukraine. This is a collective problem for the West and requires a collective effort to resolve it or we will collectively suffer for Russian success.
Gordo14
74OA said:

........and what's galling is, despite Europe's fumbling, the US could still effectively blunt any Russian resurgence by continuing to fund Ukraine's resistance for a relative pittance in dollars and at zero cost in US blood. Instead, we'll stand on the sidelines and far increase the likelihood of a wider, more expensive and bloodier conflict someday.

The House needs to learn how American neutrality and impotence substantially increased the costs of both World War 1 and World War 2. The Japanese see what's at stake. This should (and frankly is) an easy bipartisan win that we've shut down solely to make things partisan. Pathetic.

Gordo14
Eliminatus said:

74OA said:

NONSTOP

Europe fumbled the ball when Russia was down 30 pts going into the 4th. What they are JUST starting to grasp is that Russia is cooking at essentially a full war time economy and has been for many months now. Mix that with the fact that a tyrannical government can already pivot much faster than a democratic one and I can't help but feel that the crucial time window of smacking the Russians down for at least a generation has already been squandered.

I said a long time ago that I feared a resurgent Russian empire as being the worst case for this war and damn me if it isn't actually in the realm of feasibility now if things keep going awry on the political front.

Lots of horrible things are said about Putin, many of them by me, but I will also always nod in sullen anger when he said the west was weak. Been thinking that myself for well over a decade now. We, and especially the US, simply have no actual identity on global foreign policy. Geopolitics is simply the latest toy/weapon of the reigning administration largely to be used against the opposite party and nothing else.

That all being said, I still don't think the paper matches reality either. But it is equalizing to at least some degree on the macro scale though. It has to be. For example, the mocked Russian AF is now being used effectively, or at least effectively enough to make a battlefield difference, for once. Took them FAR longer to adopt there than a normal nation would and largely because lack of precision long range AA, but they still got there eventually. If the Iraqis can learn and adopt given enough time, so can the Russians. What I meant by that time window earlier.

IF the Russians ever actually become that true continental threat, the bitter irony will be it was because they had the time to do so, time the west wasted by dribbling in aid piece by piece because we didn't want to wake up said continental threat. How long did it take us to send in Bradley's for example? I still don't think it's doom and gloom quite yet but there is no denying that the military aid gridlocks across the west has destroyed any real chance of this war having a favorable outcome in a short time frame. If Ukraine does end up falling in the end, the West owns that failure collectively.

Russia is too demographically weak to create the Russian empire again. The question we have to ask ourselves is do we let Russia, Iran, and China team up while we pretend that it doesn't effect us. Or do we shut their aspirations down by taking the real threat seriously.
Build It
AG
So they are only partially funding the war. Even if I believe it's only 8 percent (crude only). Add in the LNG and it's even more. So stop that first.
Waffledynamics
AG

lb3
AG
Eliminatus said:

74OA said:

NONSTOP

The window to defeat Russia on the cheap has closed. Not only is their economy on a full war footing but their military (navy excluded) is vastly superior to the one they fielded in 2022.

The west's war journalists talk about how Russian casualties are greater than their entire military enrollment at the start of the war and conclude nobody of competence is left alive. While the statistics may be true, the conclusions are not.

Russia has learned to disperse and decentralize their logistics, they have learned to integrate and support new weapon systems like drones, etc…. But the scariest thing is how the time from target identification to engagement has gone down from hours to single digit minutes and isn't just limited to artillery but includes all asset classes from adjacent company assets to division assets including aviation.

What this means is that an agile force (think NATO like) that could maneuver faster than Russia could respond in 2022 would not have these advantages in 2024. Sure, Russian doctrine has other weaknesses to exploit, particularly in the air, but as you have stated the window to smack down the Russians has been squandered.

By failing to deter the war, Biden dealt Russia a strategic victory even if failing to capture Kiev is considered a tactical defeat.
shiftyandquick
Ukraine's new loitering drone to take out air defenses.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2024/04/13/ukrainian-fighter-pilots-are-itching-to-glide-bomb-russian-troops-ukraines-new-ram-ii-drones-are-clearing-the-way/?sh=6bf0e7d07360
74OA
AG
shiftyandquick said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidaxe/2024/04/13/ukrainian-fighter-pilots-are-itching-to-glide-bomb-russian-troops-ukraines-new-ram-ii-drones-are-clearing-the-way/?sh=6bf0e7d07360
Interesting. Move-Countermove.
fullback44
AG
shiftyandquick said:

They would need 1000s of these from us, they are cheap I would assume we are about to give them many many many more of them.. ?
nortex97
AG
Interesting tactics;

LMCane
Uh, their AIR FORCE has lost literally hundreds of airframes in the last two years.

how can anyone claim their Air Force is stronger now than at the beginning of the war?!?

so that is their Navy and their Air Force (and their air defense units) are all weaker now than two years ago. and their ARMORED FORCES which have lost over 2000 vehicles.

so what are they "stronger" at? having more cannon fodder troops?!

I don't think there is any expert who can claim that Russia has MORE artillery ammunition now than they did two years ago.

so that is weaker Navy, weaker Air Force, weaker armored force, weaker artillery force, weaker air defense force.

plus Sweden and Finland members of NATO.
Waffledynamics
AG
Regarding artillery, they most certainly are not starving for supply with their own production bolstered by Iran, North Korea, China, and possibly others.
First Page Last Page
Page 1290 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.