***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,551,490 Views | 47731 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by Waffledynamics
MaroonStain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
74OA said:

Ukrainians destroy massed Russian armor attack on Andiivka.

AMBUSH

Orcs Bulge attempt like Huns in WWII?
GAC06
AG
74OA said:

A look at Ukraine's hodge-podge of IAD assets and other notes from the front.

Today's SITREP.

I love the "frankenSAM" ideas. We have stocks of nearly useless AIM-7's and AIM-9M's, they have a need. Let's put them to use.
74OA
AG
tremble
AG
74OA said:

Those numbers are absolutely ****ing insane if true.
74OA
AG
tremble said:

74OA said:

Those numbers are absolutely ****ing insane if true.
.........and since the losses (which don't include even more numerous WIA) are concentrated in the Russian army's combat units, it means much of the trained professional frontline leadership it started the war with is now gone. Small wonder it is fighting so poorly with B or C leadership teams now in charge.
Gilligan
AG
Still not enough! When is enough, enough?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Gilligan said:

When it comes to dead Russian officers, never.
RogerEnright
Gilligan said:

For whom? Enough for Russia? Good question. It seems Afghan-Soviet war was enough, but that was a much longer special operation (with less KIA). Perhaps it should be a measurement of time and not lives. They have a long tradition that predates Stalin of life being cheap.
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Ulysses90
AG
Gilligan said:

Using World War I as a yardstick, about another 800,000 KIA. But at some point, the will for regime change reached a tipping point and the Bolsheviks overthrew the Czar. When the Czar's White Russian Army collapsed, it was very sudden.

This is not tactical or strategic update and will probably get deleted but here's an interesting historical footnote from family history from my wife's grandfather, Tom. This is a page from Tom's photo album taken at Archangel in 1919 during the North Russia Intervention (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Russia_intervention). Tom was assigned to the Slavo-British Legion (SBL) that combined British Army officers with Russian volunteers. As news of the Red Army's advance toward Archangel reached the SBL, the Russian volunteers became very unsettled. One morning, the Brits woke up to find that all of their Russian counterparts had silently deserted overnight leaving them by themselves. The international elements of the North Russia Intervention then evacuated as well leaving Russia to the communists.

Three of the photos are of Tom and his fellow Brits. The photo on the bottom left is of a Russian soldier with a bear. The bear was their company mascot and it lived with the enlisted soldiers in their barracks. They kept the bear because the White Russian battalion commander only inspected his troops from horseback. The horses were terrified of the bear and would buck and run away when they saw it. The mascot bear kept the Russian officers away. They took the bear with them when they deserted.

The photo on the bottom right is of Russian civilians trying to escape Archangel by ship as the Red Army approached. The caption of the photo on the bottom right is "Russian Battleship".
74OA
AG
Birds of a feather.

aggiehawg
AG
Okay, it is WaPo but I'll bite. Which Russian port? Vladivostok? Long way from Ukraine and Crimea if it is.
74OA
AG
Russian offensive around Avdiivka stalled, North Korean arms shipments and other updates from the front.

Today's SITREP.
Rossticus

2wealfth Man
AG
One Orc is smoking hot

bonfarr
AG
2wealfth Man said:

One Orc is smoking hot

Being an infantryman in the day of drones has to be a nightmare. If I was one of the Orc fodder I would be scared to death a grenade was going to drop in my lap at any moment.
10thYrSr
2wealfth Man said:

One Orc is smoking hot

Everyone was still moving after that. Guess the video might have ended too soon, but there might be only one guy injured. Maybe two? Are these bombs just concussion bombs?
aezmvp
That definitely got a few more than that. Not exactly what kind of munition that was though.
GAC06
AG
10thYrSr said:

2wealfth Man said:

One Orc is smoking hot

Everyone was still moving after that. Guess the video might have ended too soon, but there might be only one guy injured. Maybe two? Are these bombs just concussion bombs?

Yeah, probably one of those concussion bombs. You have it figured out as usual.
benchmark
AG
docb
AG
Just saw that. It about time. Just think what they could do if we gave them a lot of these.
JFABNRGR
AG
Distance and timing line up more with GLSDBs but I would be satisfied to be wrong.

Reddit is reporting two helos lost one a KA52. There is a spectator video that shows several secondary small rockets set off which look to be from a ground launch unit of some sort.
GAC06
AG

GAC06
AG
aezmvp
There actually aren't a ton of these period. Only like 3000 ish total. So, yes helpful, but no the Ukrainians will not be getting a ton.
JFABNRGR
AG
For some time Ukraine has been R&Ding a way to drop munitions like a fixed wing aircraft on a bombing run, without having to hover statically or suicide the drone.

The video below purportedly demonstrates this ability, though I am not completely convinced it wasn't just very skilled pilots just not hovering. We will find out soon enough.

Of note at 1:33 mark shadow looks like it could have been from the Eclipse.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/179pjnc/video_of_new_ukrainian_fpv_drones_with_dropped/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
2wealfth Man
AG
benchmark said:

absolutely perfect target for ATACMS. Orcs going to have to pull aviation assets back.
MouthBQ98
AG
Taking out a bunch of aviation and making their forward airfields unusable due to being able to be targeted is very helpful. They'll be pushed back to more distant fields, increasing fuel use, and reducing ordinance loads and numbers of sorties possible due yo added flight time. It might even put helicopters out of range for most duties as their loiter time will be greatly reduced.
JFABNRGR
AG
Full Length video of the B airfield strike here. There is also pics on reddit of the cannister manufactured in 96 with nomenclature Guided Missile Surface Attack M140A. Contract #DAAH01-92-C-0030.

Orcs gonna have to start using FARPs. Haha

JFABNRGR
AG
SAT pics of the airfield from Sept 10 depicting around 10 helos in proximity some with berms. Also says PanstirC2 hit which would corroborate my observations of the secondaries from ground launch asset getting hit.

ABATTBQ11
AG
Sounds like they lost a bunch of helos, but more importantly they may have lost a lot of the munitions and guided weapons for any remaining helos.
Eliminatus
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Sounds like they lost a bunch of helos, but more importantly they may have lost a lot of the munitions and guided weapons for any remaining helos.

You couldn't ask for a better target. Unless those munitions pics are fake, it was absolutely an ATACMS IMO. we have a few older submunitions types that look like that like the BLU 63/86 but those were only built into dumb cluster bombs and Tomahawks as far I know. Pretty familiar with them as I have picked up thousands of the ****ers (training versions) and blown more than a few live duds. Ukes have not gotten any Tomahawks come us though so easy answer is ATACMS.

We did say it would be neat to have the announcement of this weapon system as something that has blown up and we got that.
JFABNRGR
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 1224 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.