***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,555,664 Views | 47735 Replies | Last: 36 min ago by 74OA
LMCane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Now on to surround Bakhmut from the south and the north
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Death toll of Russian airstrike in Kupiansk increased to 6, the bridge over Oskil river destroyed

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/19-september-death-toll-of-russian-airstrike-in-kupiansk
ABATTBQ11
AG
That's gonna hurt
74OA
AG
Norway donates tracked cargo carriers to Ukraine. Should be particularly useful in fall mud and winter snow.

FIFTY
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Gotta love Russian corruption.

ABATTBQ11
AG
I don't know what's worse, the choreography or the little kids acting like thug gangsters.
Rossticus

Rybar:

" While the main attention of all media has shifted to the zone of the Armenian-Azerbaijani conflict , heavy fighting continues near Bakhmut in several areas. Despite statements by some Ukrainian sources about the capture of the village of Kleshcheevka , as well as the complete destruction of several brigades of the Russian Armed Forces, including the 72nd Motorized Rifle Brigade, in reality this is not the case .

Fighting in the village continues, and most of it is in the gray zone. Yesterday, two assault groups of the 28th mechanized brigade again attacked the positions, trying to break through to the railway, but to no avail.

At the same time, west of Kleshcheevka, as well as south of Andreevka, there is a concentration of new assault units. Three detachments of the 3rd assault brigade have taken up positions and are preparing for a new attack.

Similar preparations are observed in the north at the Berkhovskoye Reservoir . The other day, tank units of the 17th brigade arrived in Bogdanovka , which had been being re-equipped for several months.

Judging by the simultaneous activation of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, the offensive on the flanks of Bakhmut will be coordinated in time, and the goal is to cover the city from both sides and cut off the supply routes of the Russian Armed Forces group in order to force them to resign."
MJ20/20
AG
Rossticus said:

So 50 cents?
Nagler
AG
What does one do with a tank engine?
AgLA06
AG
Sell it to Ukraine to fix damaged equipment
74OA
AG
Nagler said:

One puts it in a tank.
80sGeorge
AG
Sell them to other Colonels who did the same thing but have an inspection or deployment coming up

Sell them to Ukrainian Colonels if the price is higher

Belorussian sales are also acceptable

Could've sold to Wagner in the past but prob not so much anymore
MouthBQ98
AG
Powers all manner of custom heavy equipment, I'd guess.
cbr
AG
Nagler said:

well george parr used to use them to power his ranch off of stolen tapped gas lines from nearby operators.
nortex97
AG
I do think it's a bit comical, the Russian/Soviet history of tanks and their engines/corruption up to and including...the T-14.
74OA
AG
Miscellaneous notes.

UPDATES
Gilligan
AG
Rossticus said:

Colonel, is that a T90 Engine in your pocket or are you happy to see me?
10thYrSr
Thanks for the post. Makes it clear why they haven't tried it now.
richardag
txags92 said:

benchmark said:

nortex97 said:

Russians aren't attempting to advance, and replicate Stalin's mistakes from WW2:
Russian's aren't attempting to advance because it's intuitively obvious it would be suicidal. Apparently, even anoymous bloggers also agree.

Their ability to advance would seem to have departed with the Wagner troops. Wagner seemed to be the only marginally effective force they had at trying to advance since the initial invasion was stopped. And they were mostly only successful because they had a bunch of prison conscripts to throw at battles like Iranian human wave attacks.
Not to derail the thread. I met someone who was conscripted into the Iranian army the day he graduated in high school. They held the 25 male seniors in the cafeteria, would not let them speak with their families. He and one other person are the only survivors.

I cannot imagine the horrors he saw when taking on the Iraqi army which was better equipped and supplied. It was a slaughter.

He is always smiling, always has nice things to say, I have the deepest respect for this gentleman.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Ukrainian Military intelligence says 2 planes and a helicopter were damaged at Chkalovsky airfield near Moscow as result of saboteur attack

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/20-september-ukrainian-military-intelligence-says-2-planes
P.U.T.U
AG
More explosions reported in Sevastopol, wonder what was hit this time
74OA
AG
Nice damage assessment of the cruise missile attack on the Russian sub Rostov-on-Don.

GONE
LMCane
74OA said:

Nice damage assessment of the cruise missile attack on the Russian sub Rostov-on-Don.

GONE
that's been known and confirmed for a few days now.

the bigger question is was the Landing Ship destroyed

and more importantly were the dry docks made ineffective for a long period of time.
The Fife
I believe there's been pretty conclusive evidence that the ship in the dry dock is also a total loss. As for the dry docks themselves, I don't see how they could be used for anything for at least a period of several months because of the destroyed ship and sub that would have to be cut up and removed first.
MouthBQ98
AG
Both are total losses. The only question is if they can weld enough plate steel on the wrecked hulls to make them floatable long enough to flood the docks and tow them out of the way, or if they'll have to be cut apart and removed by cranes.
74OA
AG
LMCane said:

74OA said:

GONE
that's been known and confirmed for a few days now.

the bigger question is was the Landing Ship destroyed

and more importantly were the dry docks made ineffective for a long period of time.
Yes, the basic fact of the sub's destruction is well known, but the article is the most detailed breakdown I've come across of how the Storm Shadow likely created the damage we see in photos.

Since Storm Shadow/Scalp is playing an important role in the war, I suggest the added detail is useful to inform our discussion following future strikes. <shrug>
PJYoung
AG
The Fife said:

I believe there's been pretty conclusive evidence that the ship in the dry dock is also a total loss. As for the dry docks themselves, I don't see how they could be used for anything for at least a period of several months because of the destroyed ship and sub that would have to be cut up and removed first.
And the bigger point is that nothing in the dry dock is safe so that renders it useless.

The Black Sea Fleet is in trouble with a capital T. Threatened by a country with no navy.
Squadron7
AG
Nagler said:

Name it Thomas?
Waffledynamics
AG
Blackbeard94
AG
Nagler said:

Build a monster truck around it and take it to a tractor pull
74OA
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Quote:

Ukrainian Military intelligence says 2 planes and a helicopter were damaged at Chkalovsky airfield near Moscow as result of saboteur attack

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/20-september-ukrainian-military-intelligence-says-2-planes
Two very specialized aircraft destroyed in the raid DETAILS
LMCane
Denys was discussing this yesterday:

South Korea to send two mine clearing "tanks" to Ukraine

First Page Last Page
Page 1208 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.