***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,556,220 Views | 47736 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by ABATTBQ11
JFABNRGR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Theyre are reports on Reddit that Kadrov has died.

If he was poisoned by whom? He and his fighters seemed to be a paper tiger and not that much of a threat to the Ukes.

Did he not meet putins expectations or demands in exchange for his privilege.
wessimo
AG
Putie heading off a repeat of the Prigozin mess .
txags92
AG
wessimo said:

Putie heading off a repeat of the Prigozin mess .
That was my thought. Probably find a lot of polonium in his blood if they test it.
Rongagin71
AG
agent-maroon said:

Rossticus said:

Did the anticipated missile strike ever happen? Missed the headlines if it did
Ukraine says 12 of 16 cruise missiles downed, if this was the same attack?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/morning-fireworks-ukrainian-air-force-chief-posts-video-of-downing-of-russian-missile-over-odesa-oblast/ar-AA1gQoqe?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=5e81400cee7a482a8b8ddda253022ebe&ei=9
74OA
AG
Genocide proceedings against Russia at the UN's top court.

"Vasiliev thinks a later judgment on the case's merits in favor of Ukraine's position would have implications. It would constitute "a clear finding from the principal judicial organ of the United Nations that Russia should be held responsible as a state and that it may also be ordered to pay reparations," he said."

That should then remove any lingering handwringing about the legality of transferring Russia's frozen $350B to Ukraine.

COURT
Waffledynamics
AG
10 minutes ago as I post this:

Quote:

Russian bombers launched cruise missiles from Caspian Sea region towards Ukraine

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/18-september-russian-bombers-launched-cruise-missiles-from
Rossticus
NORKS…. Coming to a Ukraine near you.

JFABNRGR
AG
Destroyed sub pics or CGI, I am too old to know the difference. Everything in pic redacted but the sub which is odd.

https://reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/s/DP4xmIpS3s
SouthTex99
AG
benchmark
AG
It will be a tough slog getting through their now reinforced 2nd line of defense, but if they do ....

benchmark
AG
It will be a tough slog getting through their now reinforced 2nd line of defense, but if they do ....

74OA
AG
Interesting that imagery of the sub is allowed while censoring the condition of the surrounding dry dock.

DAMAGE
agent-maroon
AG
74OA said:

Interesting that imagery of the sub is allowed while censoring the condition of the surrounding dry dock.

DAMAGE

The hand the magician waves is not the hand they want you to see...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ABATTBQ11
AG
74OA said:

DAMAGE

Everyone knows the sub is ****ed, but the dry dock is the more important strategic asset. There's a reason those ships were there instead of somewhere out of range.
AgLA06
AG
agent-maroon said:

74OA said:

DAMAGE

How much foil do you buy in a year?!?
74OA
AG
74OA said:

DAMAGE
.......a little MORE.
74OA
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

74OA said:

DAMAGE

Everyone knows the sub is ****ed, but the dry dock is the more important strategic asset. There's a reason those ships were there instead of somewhere out of range.
Still, "everyone knows" isn't factual confirmation, which is the gold standard for post-strike assessment, so I'd have thought the Russians would have censored both the sub and dry dock.
Ag In Ok
AG
74OA said:

74OA said:

DAMAGE
.......a little MORE.

Who knew - the best time to sink a submarine is when it is actually unsinkable.
agent-maroon
AG
AgLA06 said:

agent-maroon said:

74OA said:

DAMAGE

You don't think they offered the sub as a distraction so we can't see the extent of the dry dock damage? That was my point.

Probably not the best analogy and I do have a substantial tin foil budget, but wasn't applying it here.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
The Fife
IMO what happened was someone who wasn't supposed to, took some pictures. In order to keep from being caught based on whatever was going on nearby (e.g. hey there's Ivan, whoever took those pictures was standing right next to him) he blurred out as much of the surrounding environment as possible.
AgLA06
AG
agent-maroon said:

AgLA06 said:

agent-maroon said:

74OA said:

DAMAGE

You don't think they offered the sub as a distraction so we can't see the extent of the dry dock damage? That was my point.

Probably not the best analogy and I do have a substantial tin foil budget, but wasn't applying it here.
100% agree. I thought you meant the opposite. I actually think based on the accuracy of those shots with penetrator warheads, the dry dock itself may not be as damaged as originally assumed.

But I don't think some hourly dock worker blurring it and his colleagues is Russian spy proponga trying to go to that length here. Just survival mitigation. Highly detailed satellite imagery shows reality just as well.
74OA
AG
The Fife said:

IMO what happened was someone who wasn't supposed to, took some pictures. In order to keep from being caught based on whatever was going on nearby (e.g. hey there's Ivan, whoever took those pictures was standing right next to him) he blurred out as much of the surrounding environment as possible.
Very likely.........
AgLA06
AG
74OA said:

The Fife said:

Very likely.........
Exactly.

Don't always assume there's some highly complex spy game in play when there's a much simpler explanation and US spy satellites and drones with all the images they want anyway.
FIDO95
AG
74OA said:

DAMAGE
"We did that to prevent geolocation of the damaged submarine" -Grand Russian strategist.
Eliminatus
AG
I swear that second pic was blurred because that is obviously a closeup peen in the shot as well.

Jokes aside, I know nothing about subs really. I'm assuming that patch panels can't simply be welded on. Structural load integrity compromised at depth or something like that. But is that actually true? So would any sub be expected to be a total loss with hull damage more than scrapes? Is the hull monolithic and treated as such?

We got any submariners here by chance?
ABATTBQ11
AG
74OA said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

74OA said:

DAMAGE

Still, "everyone knows" isn't factual confirmation, which is the gold standard for post-strike assessment, so I'd have thought the Russians would have censored both the sub and dry dock.

We can pretty much see the damage from space, and if there's holes in them, they're toast. The Russians know there's no hiding it. The damage to the dry dock is much more important and something we likely can't see with satellites.
Rossticus
"RuSsIA oNLy WaNTs tO liBErAte DOnbaS… dErp"

ABATTBQ11
AG
Eliminatus said:

I swear that second pic was blurred because that is obviously a closeup peen in the shot as well.

Jokes aside, I know nothing about subs really. I'm assuming that patch panels can't simply be welded on. Structural load integrity compromised at depth or something like that. But is that actually true? So would any sub be expected to be a total loss with hull damage more than scrapes? Is the hull monolithic and treated as such?

Well, they were all welded together at some point in the first place, so they can probably be patched. You have to be really precise and careful in the patching though. Odds are the internal damage is going to be extensive as well. I don't see how that sub is not a total loss. Same with the landing ship. The superstructure is melted and I'm pretty sure there's holes in the hull. Even if they got it water tight again, the rest of the ship needs to be replaced or repaired.

Both of them are like cars that had their front ends caved in. They can be fixed, but it'll be more than they're worth and they'll never be quite right.
Eliminatus
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Eliminatus said:

Well, they were all welded together at some point in the first place, so they can probably be patched. You have to be really precise and careful in the patching though. Odds are the internal damage is going to be extensive as well. I don't see how that sub is not a total loss. Same with the landing ship. The superstructure is melted and I'm pretty sure there's holes in the hull. Even if they got it water tight again, the rest of the ship needs to be replaced or repaired.

Both of them are like cars that had their front ends caved in. They can be fixed, but it'll be more than they're worth and they'll never be quite right.

Yeah, this one is clearly a loss for sure. Zero debate there. Some internal explosions it looks like as well so it would just be cheaper to build a new one then fix I think.

I'm just wondering where the line is between total loss and fixable in terms of the hull. Just thinking the range to be much, much larger on the total loss side for hull damage than any other naval vessel.

Welp. Time to go on a deep dive (heh) on subs this week!
ABATTBQ11
AG
We had one run into an underwater mountain and basically need the bow replaced, so there can be a lot of hull damage that's repairable.
Rossticus

Rossticus
The quote below about Putin's "obsession with Russian culture" is interesting considering his prior ramblings in his speeches about Russian/Ukrainian common cultural origins. The more this war plays out the more convinced I become that the foundational reasons for this invasion were wholly ideological in that Putin found a Ukraine who wasn't closely aligned with Russia, but instead with "the west" to be unacceptable and tantamount to sacrilege. Ukraine and Ukrainians must exist as Russian or cease to exist, in his mind, in my opinion. Everything Ukrainian, from resources to people to historical artifacts are Russian, therefore they belong to the motherland.

"We in #Finland hear voices that America should do this or that. And I just wanted to indicate that if there is an escalation into a big war, a world war, then the nuclear risk becomes obviously greater," he said.

"We are in a very delicate situation. Even a small thing can have a big impact on events - for the worse," said Finnish president. The war, according to him, could last for a long time and Europeans should have no illusions that the situation can be resolved quickly.

#Niinistö also said in the interview that there should be a way to maintain relations between European countries and #Russia.

"I don't mean some kind of strong friendship, but the ability to tolerate and even understand each other a little bit," Niinistö said.

Meanwhile, this week, Finland banned cars with Russian license plates from entering the country.

In addition Niinistö said that when the conflict in #Ukraine is over, Russia will not go anywhere and there is "a great European interest to make sure that Russia does not take the path of hostilities after peace in Ukraine." There is no need to insist on "sweeping the Russians away."

The Finnish president also called on those who criticize Western leaders for their indecision and delay in supporting Ukraine to understand, as they have a great responsibility.

Niinistö also talked about his meetings with Vladimir #Putin before Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022. According to him, Putin talked to him a lot about Russian culture, as if he was "obsessed" with it. Shortly before the war, Niinistö, spoke to Putin several times, including at the request of U.S. President Joe Biden, and asked him not to attack Ukraine. The talks proved fruitless.
GAC06
AG
Weird there's more than one hole in the sub, plus the damage to the amphib when the Russian air defense worked "sufficiently" and shot down all but two missiles. I guess one missile hit the sub twice.
benchmark
AG
Rossticus said:

The quote below about Putin's "obsession with Russian culture" is interesting considering his prior ramblings in his speeches about Russian/Ukrainian common cultural origins. The more this war plays out the more convinced I become that the foundational reasons for this invasion were wholly ideological in that Putin found a Ukraine who wasn't closely aligned with Russia, but instead with "the west" to be unacceptable and tantamount to sacrilege. Ukraine and Ukrainians must exist as Russian or cease to exist, in his mind, in my opinion. Everything Ukrainian, from resources to people to historical artifacts are Russian, therefore they belong to the motherland.
But then there's the 'other perspective' that NATO caused this war by not repudiating Ukraine's right to choose.
FJB24
benchmark said:

Rossticus said:

But then there's the 'other perspective' that NATO caused this war by not repudiating Ukraine's right to choose.
Yes, that's true.

I guess there is a question as to who is…speaking for the Ukrainians.
First Page Last Page
Page 1206 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.