***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,558,957 Views | 47740 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Waffledynamics
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JFABNRGR said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Gordo14 said:

They still have to leave shipping lanes open because they need to ship things to southern Ukraine. From Rostov. Not sure how effective these sunken ships will be.

No, they'd just open and close the booms for vessels.

And to what someone said earlier, a one two punch with a lead USV taking out the boom is possible, but it requires more coordination and gives away an attack. There's no stealthily parking under the bridge with a big ass bomb.

If Ukrainians are using munitions capable of flying 700km then barges and nets in defense of sea borne weapons is now moot, given the recent attack on orc air base.
Flying that far with a warhead capable of igniting a fuel depot or plane is different than flying that far with a warhead capable of causing significant damage to a bridge. The seaborne drones are carrying several hundred pounds of explosives IIRC.
Rossticus

ABATTBQ11
AG
JFABNRGR said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Gordo14 said:

They still have to leave shipping lanes open because they need to ship things to southern Ukraine. From Rostov. Not sure how effective these sunken ships will be.

No, they'd just open and close the booms for vessels.

And to what someone said earlier, a one two punch with a lead USV taking out the boom is possible, but it requires more coordination and gives away an attack. There's no stealthily parking under the bridge with a big ass bomb.

If Ukrainians are using munitions capable of flying 700km then barges and nets in defense of sea borne weapons is now moot, given the recent attack on orc air base.

Different problems to solve, and good luck getting a kamikaze drone big enough to take out that bridge without getting shot down.
ABATTBQ11
AG
The last couple had 1800 pounds each
txags92
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

The last couple had 1800 pounds each
Yeah, I thought they had close to a ton on the last few. Not something they could fly in on a drone.
LMCane
Ukrainian Counteroffensive Pierces Main Russian Defensive Line in Southeast

After three months of grinding advances in Western-backed operation, Kyiv accelerates thrust along main line of attack

Wall Street Journal By James Marson Aug. 31, 2023 7:25 am ET

Ukrainian forces have penetrated the main Russian defensive line in their country's southeast, raising hopes of a breakthrough that would reinvigorate the slow-moving counteroffensive.

Ukrainian paratroopers are fighting through entrenched Russian positions on the edge of the village of Verbove, a Ukrainian officer in the area said. Ukrainian forces have also reached the main defensive line to the south of nearby Robotyne village, he said. Ukraine's military confirmed advances toward Verbove and south of Robotyne, without giving details.

Describing the advance, the Ukrainian officer held up three fingers representing lines of attack through entrenched Russian positions on the western flank of Verbove, an agricultural village of some 1,000 residents before the war. The significance of the advance is that it marks the first time Ukraine has penetrated the main Russian defensive line, an extensive system of minefields, trenches and antitank obstacles covered by artillery.

Ukrainian forces are now working to expand the cracks in the line to create a hole large enough for Western-provided armored vehicles to push through with sufficient logistical support.

"It's like inflating a ball," the officer said.

WSJ Reports on Uke Victories
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
AgLA06
AG
Something tells me the average Russian might be shocked this fall / winter when Russia kicks off their civilian infrastructure destruction campaign and the Ukes suddenly can play the same game.
docb
AG
AgLA06 said:

Something tells me the average Russian might be shocked this fall / winter when Russia kicks off their civilian infrastructure destruction campaign and the Ukes suddenly can play the same game.
I really hope Ukraine can build their new missiles in sufficient numbers to be a real problem for Russia. They need to be able to hit targets in Russia if they are going to win this war.
LMCane
cbr said:

2wealfth Man said:

cbr said:

PJYoung said:

Oh man this video just popped up on my feed. This is the first I've seen of drones hitting infantry in trenches. Timely. What a nightmare for infantry.

yeah, for crying out loud, you are just a sitting duck at that point. that is unreal. and it is the future for sure.
need some kind of mass drone "launcher" to just absolutely rake a whole section of trench and /or other positions of interest. Absolutely maddening to defend against.
i honestly dont know how you'd defend against drone swarms other than EW, if they are susceptible, or smaller more advanced drone swarms of your own.

this is an ugly, ugly future for warfare and humanity... and scary as **** for the '2nd amendment is our last line of defense against tyranny' concept.
THIS is exactly how you defend against Russian drone swarms in the future

PJYoung
AG
Quote:

After spending more than two months engaged in a grueling campaign to break the Russian lines around Robotyne, the fighting capability of the units was exhausted, he said.

The local commander asked for permission to restructure the attack force there, choosing 31 soldiers considered to be deeply motivated. A third of them had no combat experience, he said.

Over the course of 40 days, he said, this unit conducted six assaults and two reconnaissance missions. Seven of the soldiers were wounded, he said, including one who stepped on a mine.

"The work of this group made it possible for an entire brigade to attack Robotyne and liberate it after weeks of assaults," he said.
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/08/31/world/russia-ukraine-news
Touchless
AG
PJYoung said:

Quote:

After spending more than two months engaged in a grueling campaign to break the Russian lines around Robotyne, the fighting capability of the units was exhausted, he said.

The local commander asked for permission to restructure the attack force there, choosing 31 soldiers considered to be deeply motivated. A third of them had no combat experience, he said.

Over the course of 40 days, he said, this unit conducted six assaults and two reconnaissance missions. Seven of the soldiers were wounded, he said, including one who stepped on a mine.

"The work of this group made it possible for an entire brigade to attack Robotyne and liberate it after weeks of assaults," he said.
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/08/31/world/russia-ukraine-news
I wonder if those 31 soldiers were from that town or at least that region. It's all their country obviously, but fighting in your hometown would be an extra motivating factor as well. Makes it even more personal.
Rossticus
"Free and fair elections" incoming. *Holds elections for Kherson Oblast. Doesn't control Kherson*

docb
AG
Ukraine should put a bounty on the head of those 4 'elected' individuals.
Rossticus
Strelkov (Girkin)… prepare to meet window.

B-1 83
AG
I'm sure that's exactly what those people wanted when they invited Russia to liberate them from the Ukrainian overlords.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Rossticus
You'd think that these folks would have learned a lesson from the previous Ukrainian collaborators that Russia used up and left hung out to dry but I guess there will always be another opportunist who thinks that THIS time will be different. Oh, and watch out for the partisans.
74OA
AG
If Ukrainian reconciliation with Russia was once possible, that moment is long gone. There will be generations of hatred courtesy of Putin's utterly unnecessary war.

74OA
AG
Ukraine forms world's first explosive naval drone unit. This element of warfare is just getting started......

USV
Waffledynamics
AG
PJYoung
AG

PJYoung
AG
JFABNRGR
AG
74OA said:

If Ukrainian reconciliation with Russia was once possible, that moment is long gone. There will be generations of hatred courtesy of Putin's war.

In 94 or 95, i spent 10 days in the Czech Republic competing against and training with several former soviet bloc countries in INF Squad tactics. The hatred for russia was extreme and so was the gratitude to the American Soldier. Off base, in blue jeans and a carhart Czech citizen's would pour out of their homes and businesses to meet us and thank us for their freedom. The emotion then was as strong as it is writing this. This was mostly led by the older generations but they often had their kids and grand kids with them explaining to them the love for us. We ate dinner multiple times trying to not deny the multitude of invites.

I often wondered how strong the hatred for russia would continue in the younger generations as time went by. I have no doubt the horror stories past down from the older generations have rekindled that given the atrocities in Ukraine even for the neighboring countries.
benchmark
AG
JFABNRGR said:

In 94 or 95, i spent 10 days in the Czech Republic competing against and training with several former soviet bloc countries in INF Squad tactics. The hatred for russia was extreme and so was the gratitude to the American Soldier. Off base, in blue jeans and a carhart Czech citizen's would pour out of their homes and businesses to meet us and thank us for their freedom. The emotion then was as strong as it is writing this. This was mostly led by the older generations but they often had their kids and grand kids with them explaining to them the love for us. We ate dinner multiple times trying to not deny the multitude of invites.
Similar event in the early 90s ... except an Iranian family while visting Gabon (West Africa). The parents woke up their young kids about midnight so they could meet a real American. Humbling. Despite our country's many faults we're still the world's gold standard.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Mayor of Moscow: works to improve Oryol airfield to launch interceptors against drones on the way to Moscow are almost completed
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/31-august-mayor-of-moscow-works-to-improve-oryol-airfield
ABATTBQ11
AG
Hit those too
jbeaman88
AG
LMCane said:

cbr said:

2wealfth Man said:

cbr said:

PJYoung said:

Oh man this video just popped up on my feed. This is the first I've seen of drones hitting infantry in trenches. Timely. What a nightmare for infantry.

yeah, for crying out loud, you are just a sitting duck at that point. that is unreal. and it is the future for sure.
need some kind of mass drone "launcher" to just absolutely rake a whole section of trench and /or other positions of interest. Absolutely maddening to defend against.
i honestly dont know how you'd defend against drone swarms other than EW, if they are susceptible, or smaller more advanced drone swarms of your own.

this is an ugly, ugly future for warfare and humanity... and scary as **** for the '2nd amendment is our last line of defense against tyranny' concept.
THIS is exactly how you defend against Russian drone swarms in the future

Not just in the future, it seems, according to the wording used near the end. What are the chances some of these are already in use in Ukraine?
lb3
AG
Russian air defense attrition:

https://news.yahoo.com/russia-redeploying-air-defenses-kuril-203000939.html
Quote:

Moscow is pulling its anti-aircraft missile systems from two of the Kuril Islands, presumably to deploy them in the war against Ukraine, Japanese outlet Kyodo News reported on Aug. 31.

This report cites a statement made by Professor Yu Koizumi of Tokyo University.

The expert has analyzed satellite images of the area which show a significant amount of anti-aircraft missile systems have been removed from the islands of Iturup and Kunashir.
aggiehawg
AG
Rossticus said:

Strelkov (Girkin)… prepare to meet window.

That might not be the best idea.

Oops.
Rossticus
Don't you know that this is simply misguided Russophobia kindled by the CIA? These are brotherly nations who belong as part of the motherland and have merely been manipulated and bamboozled by the evil west and forced to join NATO (which is a clear violation of Russia's inalienable right to control their sphere of influence, ie be surrounded by puppet nations; the lack of said sphere presenting an existential security risk and demonstrating NATO's plan to invade Russia and commit genocide on the Russian people)!!!

Did I miss anything? :p
Rossticus
This is downright disturbing… Completely in line with what some Russian forces have demonstrated since the beginning of the war but disturbing nonetheless. Add in the participation of Phillips and… well…

Rossticus

Rossticus
From inside Russia. Love it, even if it's disinfo for the purpose of further setting Russia on edge.

Rossticus

First Page Last Page
Page 1194 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.