***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,558,924 Views | 47740 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Waffledynamics
P.U.T.U
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think most of laughed when Rogan brought up stuff like the Boston Dynamics robots and what they can do. After seeing the quick deployment of drones in the Ukraine war, it seems all but inevitable the future will be here sooner than we thought.
aezmvp
Still a ways off based on cost and manufacturing ability but using their dog robots similarly to how the Russians used bomb dogs in WWII comes to mind.
nortex97
AG
Yes. We are way past the 'that's cute' phase and into hunter-killer AI drones now. Sophisticated ground based drones will be the next step, I think. The tech is clearly there, or out there, but operationally not so much yet.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I think the battlefield will change with more counter UAS gear. Lasers will eventually be a huge addition, IMO. It will get harder to fully surveil the battlefield line what we're seeing here.

Probably one of the next big leaps will be in better computer vision for navigation and target acquisition. It's going to be hard to suppress a drone's ability to navigate if it is going off of visual cues. It is also helpful if a drone can ID a target instead of needing to hit coordinates.
P.U.T.U
AG
And in all honesty it may be less expensive in the long run to fight with robot drones than humans. I know the US has a lot of fluff in their budget but it is said it cost $2.1 million a year per soldier deployed in a combat zone. Drones may have higher initial cost but done correctly and with economy of scale robots may be the way to go.

I don't think Russia will be a player in this market anytime soon with most of their resources tied up in Ukraine and the fact they spend thousands of dollars a year on their soldiers, not millions. I could see China mass producing all kinds of drones and exporting them.

The USA defenses are based around planes and missiles, not drone swarms. Ukraine just proved they can send in a drone swarm that can defeat Russia air defenses and destroy half a billion worth of equipment. I don't think any country could stop 100 sea based drones at a time in efforts to take down major war ships. Once the Russian ships leave Sevastopol they become much easier targets.

[Let's not get too far off the subject at hand. A separate AI and tech thread might be more suitable for these general discussions -- Staff]
74OA
AG
P.U.T.U said:

And in all honesty it may be less expensive in the long run to fight with robot drones than humans. I know the US has a lot of fluff in their budget but it is said it cost $2.1 million a year per soldier deployed in a combat zone. Drones may have higher initial cost but done correctly and with economy of scale robots may be the way to go.

I don't think Russia will be a player in this market anytime soon with most of their resources tied up in Ukraine and the fact they spend thousands of dollars a year on their soldiers, not millions. I could see China mass producing all kinds of drones and exporting them.

The USA defenses are based around planes and missiles, not drone swarms. Ukraine just proved they can send in a drone swarm that can defeat Russia air defenses and destroy half a billion worth of equipment. I don't think any country could stop 100 sea based drones at a time in efforts to take down major war ships. Once the Russian ships leave Sevastopol they become much easier targets.
MOVE-COUNTERMOVE
PJYoung
AG
Oh man this video just popped up on my feed. This is the first I've seen of drones hitting infantry in trenches. Timely. What a nightmare for infantry.

ABATTBQ11
AG
nortex97 said:

I can't believe they are still making these, glass nose and all (which I think is a relic of WW2 era thinking for navigation).

We still make C-130's...

The glass cockpit has a history of being used for visual navigation going back to the WWII era, but it is also just a good way to increase visibility. It gives a better view for finding the runway in low visibility conditions and a way to spot things like landmarks and drop zones. It also means that if their navigational aids like GPS/GLONASS are jammed, they have maximum visibility for visual navigation.
cbr
AG
PJYoung said:

Oh man this video just popped up on my feed. This is the first I've seen of drones hitting infantry in trenches. Timely. What a nightmare for infantry.

yeah, for crying out loud, you are just a sitting duck at that point. that is unreal. and it is the future for sure.
ABATTBQ11
AG
On top of that, we are actively looking at defenses for drone swarms. It's been on our radar for years. Russia? Not so much. Either that, or they're just not that great at it.
GAC06
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

nortex97 said:

I can't believe they are still making these, glass nose and all (which I think is a relic of WW2 era thinking for navigation).

We still make C-130's...

The glass cockpit has a history of being used for visual navigation going back to the WWII era, but it is also just a good way to increase visibility. It gives a better view for finding the runway in low visibility conditions and a way to spot things like landmarks and drop zones. It also means that if their navigational aids like GPS/GLONASS are jammed, they have maximum visibility for visual navigation.

The chin windows are for the navigator, the pilots can't see them. C-130's are for the pilots and did away with navigators years ago.
2wealfth Man
AG
cbr said:

PJYoung said:

yeah, for crying out loud, you are just a sitting duck at that point. that is unreal. and it is the future for sure.
need some kind of mass drone "launcher" to just absolutely rake a whole section of trench and /or other positions of interest. Absolutely maddening to defend against.
PJYoung
AG

cbr
AG
2wealfth Man said:

cbr said:

PJYoung said:

need some kind of mass drone "launcher" to just absolutely rake a whole section of trench and /or other positions of interest. Absolutely maddening to defend against.
i honestly dont know how you'd defend against drone swarms other than EW, if they are susceptible, or smaller more advanced drone swarms of your own.

this is an ugly, ugly future for warfare and humanity... and scary as **** for the '2nd amendment is our last line of defense against tyranny' concept.
Touchless
AG
P.U.T.U said:

I think most of laughed when Rogan brought up stuff like the Boston Dynamics robots and what they can do. After seeing the quick deployment of drones in the Ukraine war, it seems all but inevitable the future will be here sooner than we thought.
I watched this terrible movie on amazon prime while running on the treadmill, Monsters of Man, your post reminds me of that. I could see technology evolving more and more to where weaponized robotics on the ground become more of a thing.
chickencoupe16
AG
Quote:

this is an ugly, ugly future for warfare and humanity... and scary as **** for the '2nd amendment is our last line of defense against tyranny' concept.

I'm not following exactly what you're saying here. Scary for the government or scary for the people?
Rossticus
Just so I get this right… who is it that's doing the warmongering? Gotta love his throwback USSR tracksuit. Nothing like Soviet nostalgia and threats of WW3 by the most visible Kremlin propagandist to make Ukraine reconsider negotiation and concession… or NATO countries reconsider allowing Russia a strategically critical win.

ABATTBQ11
AG
GAC06 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

nortex97 said:

We still make C-130's...

The chin windows are for the navigator, the pilots can't see them. C-130's are for the pilots and did away with navigators years ago.

Yeah, but the IL-76 navigator can still talk to the pilots. It's not like the windows aren't still functional or useful.

C-130 is also a very old design. It's also a really useful and good one. Same with the IL-76. That's why they've both been around so long.
ABATTBQ11
AG
cbr said:

2wealfth Man said:

cbr said:

PJYoung said:

i honestly dont know how you'd defend against drone swarms other than EW, if they are susceptible, or smaller more advanced drone swarms of your own.

Lasers, microwaves, plenty of kinetic options as well. It's certainly doable, and we're writing on many different ways.
Rossticus
Rossticus

Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Interesting…

"it can land on SHORT runways and grass.
its still used by the russian SF and airborne units as a infiltration aircraft.."

2wealfth Man
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

cbr said:

2wealfth Man said:

cbr said:

PJYoung said:

Lasers, microwaves, plenty of kinetic options as well. It's certainly doable, and we're writing on many different ways.
that is not helping Ivan one bit at this point; his head has got to be on a swivel
nortex97
AG
This is equivalent to a WW2 era deuce and a half at the basic task of transporting 'stuff.' It's unsurprising they have been kept, though I haven't seen any reports of their usage in Ukraine. There was one flying around the US a few years ago anyway that attracted some interest.

Anyway, back to the thread, this is an interesting update:

Quote:

Weeb Union in his latest video made a very cruel analysis of troop counts. He simply counted the unit icons on the map from a few different sources on the map and concluded RU might have 500k and Ukraine 400k troops. Ukraine would maintain numerical advantage in Artemovsk and Seversk sector (where they have relatively more success) and RU would maintain advantage in every other front, from Kherson to Kupyansk.

It is a very crude, and probably not reliable way to calculate but it is better than nothing and directional.
Obviously with a decent advantage in Robotyne, there should be no chance of AFU achieving any sort of breakthrough, and they haven't.

Obviously Ukraine could achieve local success even due to the fact that they have some sort of wedge in the defense, which stretches the defending sides lines and forces to defend 3 fronts simultaneously. But reportedly a "concentrated" blob in the rear of Robotyne, and the bridgehead area is easier to hit with all types of weapons which more than mitigates that assumed advantage.
So, are the 82nd brigade folks being chewed up, or advancing past their breach beyond recon units? I still haven't seen any images of leopards etc. in such positions, which would be expected based on UFA propaganda/media tendencies when they do win, and this is their unit with all the best Brit/US/Nato gear.
txags92
AG
nortex97 said:

This is equivalent to a WW2 era deuce and a half at the basic task of transporting 'stuff.' It's unsurprising they have been kept, though I haven't seen any reports of their usage in Ukraine. There was one flying around the US a few years ago anyway that attracted some interest.

Anyway, back to the thread, this is an interesting update:

Quote:

Weeb Union in his latest video made a very cruel analysis of troop counts. He simply counted the unit icons on the map from a few different sources on the map and concluded RU might have 500k and Ukraine 400k troops. Ukraine would maintain numerical advantage in Artemovsk and Seversk sector (where they have relatively more success) and RU would maintain advantage in every other front, from Kherson to Kupyansk.

It is a very crude, and probably not reliable way to calculate but it is better than nothing and directional.
Obviously with a decent advantage in Robotyne, there should be no chance of AFU achieving any sort of breakthrough, and they haven't.

Obviously Ukraine could achieve local success even due to the fact that they have some sort of wedge in the defense, which stretches the defending sides lines and forces to defend 3 fronts simultaneously. But reportedly a "concentrated" blob in the rear of Robotyne, and the bridgehead area is easier to hit with all types of weapons which more than mitigates that assumed advantage.
So, are the 82nd brigade folks being chewed up, or advancing past their breach beyond recon units? I still haven't seen any images of leopards etc. in such positions, which would be expected based on UFA propaganda/media tendencies when they do win, and this is their unit with all the best Brit/US/Nato gear.
The official UA announcements of major events have been delayed by days to a week or more during most of the most recent offensive. The independent geo-locators identifying things like this are not going to put out the level of videos that UA official channels will have access to.
AGS-R-TUFF
AG
74OA said:

New satellite imagery confirms a Ukrainian claim that Russia is sinking vessels along the Kerch Bridge to form a protective barrier against future USV attacks.

BLOCK SHIPS
From the article…

"Between the flooded ferries, the Russians intend to establish a boom fence. In this way, the enemy seeks to protect the Kerch bridge from defeat," the GUR said at the time.

Installing a boom fence between the sunken vessels is creative. But you'd think the Ukes could still stack an attack to have the lead sea drone blow a hole in the fence, clearing a path for trailing drones to hit the bridge. I hope the Orcs go to a bunch of trouble only to watch the bridge get wrecked again and again.
txags92
AG
Why not just take an idea from battle bots and put a rotating blade on the bow of the drone to cut the boom?
Gordo14
They still have to leave shipping lanes open because they need to ship things to southern Ukraine. From Rostov. Not sure how effective these sunken ships will be.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Gordo14 said:

They still have to leave shipping lanes open because they need to ship things to southern Ukraine. From Rostov. Not sure how effective these sunken ships will be.

No, they'd just open and close the booms for vessels.

And to what someone said earlier, a one two punch with a lead USV taking out the boom is possible, but it requires more coordination and gives away an attack. There's no stealthily parking under the bridge with a big ass bomb.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

2 Ukrainian Mi-8 helicopters crashed in Donetsk region, killing 6 onboard
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/30-august-2-ukrainian-mi8-helicopters-crashed-in-donetsk

Reported earlier today.
aezmvp
Yes and they can ship from Novorossiysk. It's basically one big wharf with a direct rail line from Rostov that is south east of the bridge. It's not quite as convenient but better than losing the bridge.
Waffledynamics
AG
JFABNRGR
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Gordo14 said:

No, they'd just open and close the booms for vessels.

And to what someone said earlier, a one two punch with a lead USV taking out the boom is possible, but it requires more coordination and gives away an attack. There's no stealthily parking under the bridge with a big ass bomb.

If Ukrainians are using munitions capable of flying 700km then barges and nets in defense of sea borne weapons is now moot, given the recent attack on orc air base.
First Page Last Page
Page 1193 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.