***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,559,632 Views | 47748 Replies | Last: 7 min ago by Teslag
Teslag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A minefield is usually completely torn up in all areas, not just the exact area of the mine. And with the way Russians lay mines it's basically over the entire area anyway;
Gilligan
AG
74OA said:

Russia is systematically plundering Ukraine's natural resources. Freezing the conflict would permanently strip Ukraine of much of its most economically productive land.

REAVERS

RuZZia is like a plague on the land.

Plundering Ukraine's natural resources was one of Putler's many goals.

I still can't believe this *****t is happening in 2022-2023!
74OA
AG
Pushing south. "Ukrainian Gen. Valeri Zaluzhny, commander-in-chief of Ukraine's armed forces, was quoted as telling U.S. commanders that his troops were "on the cusp of a breakthrough."

Today's SITREP.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Several anti-tank landmines exploded on the border between Ukraine and Belarus

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/29-august-several-antitank-landmines-exploded-on-the-border
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Ukrainian Defense Forces have success towards Verbove of Zaporizhzhia region

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/29-august-ukrainian-defense-forces-have-success-towards-verbove
Rossticus
LostArmour IS domestically Russian, and as such should be considered with the standard caveats. They don't report on Russian losses so context of losses typically has to be sought out. Russian reporting of Ukrainian losses has shown to sometimes consider retrievable and repairable units in Ukrainian controlled areas as true kills, which can be somewhat unrepresentative and overly favorable for the sake of Russian consumption.

That said, reporting from either side can always give us information, even if that information isn't necessarily what the source is purportedly providing at face value. Reporting on the part of either combatant will be, even in the best of cases, somewhat geared to magnify perceived domestic successes.

https://lostarmour.info/

https://lostarmour.info/map_la

For Context:

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-ukrainian.html

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

EDIT: I was writing this post prior to removal of the prior post. I'm going to leave this up so that anyone interested in independently reviewing Russian reported losses of Ukraine and comparing them to Oryx, who reports on both sides' losses, can do so in the interest of their own perspective.

I think it's important to continue critically reviewing information disseminated by both sides, as there is always insight of some form to be gleaned.
nortex97
AG
Thx, I tried to find the original but forgot they used the Brit spelling.
Teslag
AG

Quote:

Russian reporting of Ukrainian losses has shown to sometimes consider retrievable and repairable units in Ukrainian controlled areas as true kills, which can be somewhat unrepresentative and overly favorable for the sake of Russian consumption.

Yep, I have seen this a lot with their "reporting". Early in the counter offensive even some US mainstream media would refer to "lost" Bradleys that were simply damaged, repaired, and ready in short order. Even saw this when a patriot battery was hit and slightly damaged and subsequently referred to as lost.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Oryx is far more neutral and reliable
nortex97
AG
Robotyne offensive pocket a very dangerous position, explaining the armor (and other) losses:

Quote:

The Ukrainian forces are stuck on the low ground at about 170 feet above sea level while the Russian forces occupy the hills of some 450 feet height to the left and right flank of the Ukrainians. (I have unfortunately failed to recognize this previously because most online maps lack contour lines.)

Being at a higher ground allows one to see further - and to shoot further. A mortar fired from a hill to the ground below will fly further than one fired from the low ground to the heights above. Running and storming uphill is more difficult than running downhill.

Unless the Ukrainians manage to storm the hillsides their progress towards Robotyne will by a short and bloody endeavor.
rgag12
AG
74OA said:

Pushing south. "Ukrainian Gen. Valeri Zaluzhny, commander-in-chief of Ukraine's armed forces, was quoted as telling U.S. commanders that his troops were "on the cusp of a breakthrough."

Today's SITREP.

I feel like I've seen this exact same quote every week for over a month now.
docb
AG
nortex97 said:

Robotyne offensive pocket a very dangerous position, explaining the armor (and other) losses:

Quote:

The Ukrainian forces are stuck on the low ground at about 170 feet above sea level while the Russian forces occupy the hills of some 450 feet height to the left and right flank of the Ukrainians. (I have unfortunately failed to recognize this previously because most online maps lack contour lines.)

Being at a higher ground allows one to see further - and to shoot further. A mortar fired from a hill to the ground below will fly further than one fired from the low ground to the heights above. Running and storming uphill is more difficult than running downhill.

Unless the Ukrainians manage to storm the hillsides their progress towards Robotyne will by a short and bloody endeavor.

Well then it's a good thing the artillery we provided Ukraine outranges the Russians artillery
P.U.T.U
AG
10thYrSr said:

lb3 said:

10thYrSr said:

lb3 said:

There might be some value in unleashing a thousand riding lawnmowers on the front lines.

I don't understand this joke. Are the mines weight sensitive or magnetic?
It wasn't intended as a joke. As stated above mines are a huge problem and automated cheap disposable bots as you suggest would be quite useful. I'm my mind, why engineer a new vehicle from scratch when you could just use a raspberry pi, a cheap sensor board, and a servo to automate some zero turn mowers and cub-cadet riding mowers.

Given the artillery cratered terrain, maybe a few thousand ATVs might be better suited for the task.

If they all die on mines great, they've done their job. If they force the Orcs in the trenches to expend their ammo prior to the main assault, that's great too.

Ok, let's talk about LIDAR. Drones can be equipped with LIDAR showing new buried objects. We can see where the mines are buried. So if the US gives LIDAR to the drones Ukraine is already using, they can detect mines.
The LIDAR that has the capabilities will be $15k+ if not more, the sensor package alone is over $10k if you purchase them in bulk and then you need a processor that can read everything fast enough and then a way to send that huge data file remotely. I know there are commercial LIDAR drones available for $25k+ and Ukraine has already complained about the cost of American drones.

Russia planted millions of drones in Ukraine and will be an issue for decades.
LMCane
Rossticus
Without having any history/prior knowledge of this blog site, is this guy someone who claims prior Russian mil experience who is an expat in the US, US mil experience with Russian ethnic ties, or just an American who supports Russia? Just trying to figure out what experience he's sourcing his insight from. Thx.
Rossticus
Agreed. I don't see Ukraine overcoming the cost to entry and expertise barriers during the war. Following the war I could see potential for nonprofit/donation of LIDAR and accompanying drone tech to help clear the way for reconstruction but using this at the front, real-time in a war zone, seems beyond what Ukraine has the means to field.
nortex97
AG
Rossticus said:

Without having any history/prior knowledge of this blog site, is this guy someone who claims prior Russian mil experience who is an expat in the US, US mil experience with Russian ethnic ties, or just an American who supports Russia? Just trying to figure out what experience he's sourcing his insight from. Thx.
The "B" guy who runs MoA I would consider…highly pro-Russian, and I believe he is American, not real sure. I frankly haven't seen him write much that would indicate an expertise/military background himself.

He links to good data sometimes though, and while 'big serge' on twitter is also…not neutral, again they can provide real information to what 'their side' is saying/seeing, imho.
P.U.T.U
AG
We have been asked by a few customers to come up with LIDAR based systems and even had a LIDAR company agree to give us a unit for a year as long as we gave them feedback. The cost may not be the largest factor, finding someone that can handle the programming may. That is why a LIDAR manufacturer told us they would give us a system for a year to test, there is just not that many companies out there there that can do it in a timely manner.
Teslag
AG
P.U.T.U said:

10thYrSr said:

lb3 said:

10thYrSr said:

lb3 said:

There might be some value in unleashing a thousand riding lawnmowers on the front lines.

I don't understand this joke. Are the mines weight sensitive or magnetic?
It wasn't intended as a joke. As stated above mines are a huge problem and automated cheap disposable bots as you suggest would be quite useful. I'm my mind, why engineer a new vehicle from scratch when you could just use a raspberry pi, a cheap sensor board, and a servo to automate some zero turn mowers and cub-cadet riding mowers.

Given the artillery cratered terrain, maybe a few thousand ATVs might be better suited for the task.

If they all die on mines great, they've done their job. If they force the Orcs in the trenches to expend their ammo prior to the main assault, that's great too.

Ok, let's talk about LIDAR. Drones can be equipped with LIDAR showing new buried objects. We can see where the mines are buried. So if the US gives LIDAR to the drones Ukraine is already using, they can detect mines.
The LIDAR that has the capabilities will be $15k+ if not more, the sensor package alone is over $10k if you purchase them in bulk and then you need a processor that can read everything fast enough and then a way to send that huge data file remotely. I know there are commercial LIDAR drones available for $25k+ and Ukraine has already complained about the cost of American drones.

Russia planted millions of drones in Ukraine and will be an issue for decades.

It seems like something that sensitive would also be highly susceptible to EW countermeasures as well.
Rossticus
Ukrainian sources are claiming that Russian defenses in Zaporizhzhia area have been breached and Russians are in retreat. Secondary Russian or independent confirmation and specific location pending.
PJYoung
AG
nortex97 said:

Quote:

Robotyne was taken by the Ukrainians over a week ago.

The comment section is extreme. Wow. Talk about an upside down world.

https://www.moonofalabama.org/2023/08/ukraine-sitrep-topography-shapes-the-battle-field-abysmal-medical-service-causes-death.html#more
LMCane
Rossticus said:

Ukrainian sources are claiming that Russian defenses in Zaporizhzhia area have been breached and Russians are in retreat. Secondary Russian or independent confirmation and specific location pending.
You are discussing Zaporihzhia city or the larger Oblast region?
TacosaurusRex
LMCane said:

Dang. We should have given them bigger boats so they could get home and in the fight faster.

Thanks again to all who contribute to this thread. It is a must read everyday.
nortex97
AG
Upside down is all relative I think since there is so much disinformation/propaganda/lies for both sides, but I am not a fan of the comments section there, if only because it can/does frequently also turn anti-Semitic, in addition to anti-American.

Another blog/aggregator that might be of interest to some with daily/frequent updates from disparate sources. Multiple posts today with updates, they link to very biased, and also unbiased sources for both sides:

https://warnewsupdates.blogspot.com/

Rossticus
LMCane said:

Rossticus said:

I've seen "Zaporizhzhia area" and "Zaporizhzhia region". Nothing more specific, which is why I qualified it. I'm unsure and not getting my undies in an uproar until I see something more verifiable and locatable. Could be something, could be nothing but Ukrainians getting ahead of themselves based on small localized advances.
Rossticus
Ukrainian citing Russian:

Rossticus
I always get a kick out of the Kremlin sanctioned narrative.

Rossticus
Here's the Ukrainian rose colored counterpoint to Russia's loss count from earlier. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Rossticus
Ukraine continues attempts to source additional weapons outside of those gifted by NATO countries.

Ukraine domestically producing 155mm

Rossticus
Faustus
LMCane said:

A six month naval training program in the UK for a conflict that is 18 months or so old seems like a pretty good deal rather than the front lines. Those should be some happy and ready marines.
Rossticus

Rossticus
Rossticus said:

LMCane said:

Rossticus said:

I've seen "Zaporizhzhia area" and "Zaporizhzhia region". Nothing more specific, which is why I qualified it. I'm unsure and not getting my undies in an uproar until I see something more verifiable and locatable. Could be something, could be nothing but Ukrainians getting ahead of themselves based on small localized advances.

Seems to have been in reference to further development SE of Robotyne.

Rossticus
Rossticus
First Page Last Page
Page 1189 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.