***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,562,500 Views | 47754 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by 74OA
ABATTBQ11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
74OA said:

New details on the recent successful USV attack on the Kerch Bridge.

SEA BABY

IMO should have hit the railway bridge with both. However, I noticed we no longer see the train on the tracks after the explosion. Really curious about the amount of damage there.
docb
AG
Looks like another KA-52 bit the dust this morning.
Eliminatus
AG
docb said:

Looks like another KA-52 bit the dust this morning.

Possibly two. One outside Bakhmut and the other near Robotyne.

I wonder if any new ones have been produced since the invasion. Or if those lines are even still up at all. Of all the weapons that will feel the sanction crush, I would have to assume such technology laden ones like attack helos to be some of the hardest hit.

Not that these were flying off a production line anyways. Only around 130 total claimed I believe operational at the onset of the war.
Waffledynamics
AG
10thYrSr said:

Waffledynamics said:

Quote:

Ukrainian defense forces have liberated Urozhayne

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/16-august-ukrainian-defense-forces-have-liberated-urozhayne

Looking at that map, does it show where Ukraine artillery is falling and how they are advancing or is this just a map of defense positions that have been hit?

Neither. It just catalogs locations of alerts relevant to the posts on the right of the page. A good heatmap indicator is on DeepStateMap. Click the fire icon in the bottom left. It doesn't specifically show where artillery landed, but it shows where fires have been detected. A lot of the ones near the frontlines are presumably going to be from fighting.

https://deepstatemap.live/en#8/47.277/36.568
P.U.T.U
AG
The technology on the KA52s is not the exact of the Apaches but not far off. By Russian standards they are one of their more advanced weapon systems so good point of high end components being an issue to get
AlaskanAg99
AG
Pre-war estimates they had 90-112 52's. With today's losses that puts them down 42 gunships and not all will be in theater. So those are some significant losses.
aTm '99
Waffledynamics
AG
Forgot to post this.

Quote:

Ukrainian Defence Forces continue offensive operations at Bakhmut, Melitopol and Berdyansk directions, have success south to Urozhayne, - General Staff of Armed Forces of Ukraine says in the morning report
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/17-august-ukrainian-defence-forces-continue-offensive-operations
ABATTBQ11
AG
I don't think they're making new airframes, but they have reportedly delivered some upgraded variants of older airframes in the last couple months.
AgLA06
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Pre-war estimates they had 90-112 52's. With today's losses that puts them down 42 gunships and not all will be in theater. So those are some significant losses.
Nor will a large number be operational due to poor maintenance and stripping parts.
The Fife
Given the nation combined with sanctions that's also my assumption. More maintenance and CANN activity than frames being upgraded at this point. It wouldn't surprise me if they're stripping parts from the old model where possible to keep the newer ones in the air on top of it.
Waffledynamics
AG
Dayum.

AgLA06
AG
Supposedly an anti-tank mine. I guess I assumed they couldn't be tripped except by heavy equipment.
P.U.T.U
AG
Not sure it was a mine, at 0:24 you see what looks to be some kind of shoulder fired weapon discharge at the corner of the intersection (flame exits to the opposite of target) and shortly after the vehicle makes big boom about 10-12 yards away. If it was someone firing something at the tank they won't have to worry about hearing their wife nag for a long time
txags92
AG
AgLA06 said:

Supposedly an anti-tank mine. I guess I assumed they couldn't be tripped except by heavy equipment.
Looked to me like maybe it was a small explosion to the right that triggered the main blast. Pressure wave from one detonating the other maybe?
The Fife
P.U.T.U said:

Not sure it was a mine, at 0:24 you see what looks to be some kind of shoulder fired weapon discharge at the corner of the intersection (flame exits to the opposite of target) and shortly after the vehicle makes big boom about 10-12 yards away. If it was someone firing something at the tank they won't have to worry about hearing their wife nag for a long time
I think it had to have been some kind of launched grenade because it took a full second to get over there. Definitely not anything self-propelled or guided because of that, but also no visible trail.
74OA
AG
Ukraine takes another southern town. The Russian's primary land LOC to Crimea should be in GMLRS range fairly soon, if it isn't already.

Today's SITREP.
RogerEnright
74OA said:

Ukraine takes another southern town. The Russian's primary land LOC to Crimea should be in GMLRS range fairly soon.

Today's SITREP.
Wouldn't they not want to drive a GMLRS up that far? It seems they will have 2 sides in range of cheap loitering drones.

Is it more likely that Ukraine will launch its own cheap surveillance drones at the supply lines? Then they can hit those lines with their own loitering drones, storm shadow equivalent or 155mm cluster bombs???
74OA
AG
RogerEnright said:

74OA said:

Ukraine takes another southern town. The Russian's primary land LOC to Crimea should be in GMLRS range fairly soon.

Today's SITREP.
Wouldn't they not want to drive a GMLRS up that far? It seems they will have 2 sides in range of cheap loitering drones.

Is it more likely that Ukraine will launch its own cheap surveillance drones at the supply lines? Then they can hit those lines with their own loitering drones, storm shadow equivalent or 155mm cluster bombs???
Why not both? GMLRS has a range of ~57 miles, so the coast should already be just in range from some Ukrainian controlled points, and even allow for a few miles setback for HIMARS security.
74OA
AG
Nothing like the deep growl of a powerful engine.

CHALLENGER
DCPD158
AG
74OA said:

Nothing like the deep growl of a powerful engine.

CHALLENGER
I've heard Honda Civics with a deeper growl.
Company I-1, Ord-Ords '85 -12thFan and Websider-
74OA
AG
Rossticus

ABATTBQ11
AG
Well they've said that before...
PJYoung
AG
74OA
AG
74OA said:

DETAILS
fullback44
AG
So I did some deep diving into missile Defense systems and found out some interesting information. The info came from todays Sitrep report. So there are mainly 3 levels of missile defense.

Long Range : Arrow 2 and Arrow 3
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_3

Medium Range: David's Sling is the newest and the Patriot Syatem is older but still used by the US army.

Short Range : Iron Dome (developed by the US and Isreal) together

There are other closer range systems that I didn't read about.

Anyway I post this because I was worried/ concerned we were giving up too many of our missile defense systems by giving Ukraine Patriot missile battery's but we have a bunch of other systems we can. Use. The Patriot is still in use and will be used for along time. However these newer systems like Arrow 3 are on another level of long range missile defense. Arrow 3 can take out satellites in space.

Just fascinating stuff.

74OA
AG
More on Moscow's plan to build a factory to manufacture Iranian drones in Russia and other updates.

Today's SITREP.
rgag12
AG
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/08/17/ukraine-counteroffensive-melitopol/
LMCane
fullback44 said:

So I did some deep diving into missile Defense systems and found out some interesting information. The info came from todays Sitrep report. So there are mainly 3 levels of missile defense.

Long Range : Arrow 2 and Arrow 3
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_3

Medium Range: David's Sling is the newest and the Patriot Syatem is older but still used by the US army.

Short Range : Iron Dome (developed by the US and Isreal) together

There are other closer range systems that I didn't read about.

Anyway I post this because I was worried/ concerned we were giving up too many of our missile defense systems by giving Ukraine Patriot missile battery's but we have a bunch of other systems we can. Use. The Patriot is still in use and will be used for along time. However these newer systems like Arrow 3 are on another level of long range missile defense. Arrow 3 can take out satellites in space.

Just fascinating stuff.

Israel's Arrow 3 Missile Defense Sale to Germany Gets US Nod
Aug 17, 06:35 AM

The Arrow-3, shown here, as well as David's Sling and Iron Dome are being built in large part in the United States. (Israel Aerospace Industries)

JERUSALEM The Israeli government has announced that it will sell the Arrow 3 missile-defense system to Germany, a $3.5 billion deal, marking it as Israel's largest defense export ever.

The sale was made possible after U.S. Department of State officials notified senior defense leaders here of the approval. The step is necessary because the system is a co-development between Washington's Missile Defense Agency and the Israel Missile Defense Organization, led by local contractor Israel Aerospace Industries.

Missile Defense Against Russia
LMCane
74OA said:

More on Moscow's plan to build a factory to manufacture Iranian drones in Russia and other updates.

Today's SITREP.
that needs to be a Priority One target to take out...
P.U.T.U
AG
Russia has had almost 2 years to fortify the area around Melitopol so of course Ukraine will not be able to rush through that area.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Will that's a disappointing and depressing read. Somewhat hard to argue with though, unless Ukraine can do something to cross the Dnipro or breakthrough in the South
MouthBQ98
AG
Only need to cut it off from supply and wait for the surrender.
Teslag
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Russia has had almost 2 years to fortify the area around Melitopol so of course Ukraine will not be able to rush through that area.

Yep, will likely take another year or so if they are committed to it.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Washington approves sending F-16s to Ukraine from Denmark and Netherlands. The United States has given the green light to Denmark and the Netherlands for sending F-16 fighter jets to Ukraine defend against Russian aggression as soon as pilot training is completed

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/17-august-washington-approves-sending-f16s-to-ukraine-from
First Page Last Page
Page 1176 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.