***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,564,156 Views | 47757 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by 74OA
sclaff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
prize for the revamped Ukrainian navy after it takes Crimea this fall
Eliminatus
AG
aezmvp said:

I don't think anyone's Navy is really set up for this type of threat. I'm betting Taiwan is looking at this right now and putting a fab together.

It's been a massive headache for the USN since the USS Cole and I still don't think we have a true comprehensive response aside from just more deck guns and lookouts/cameras. Tbf though, it's such a tough problem to deal with. Mainly detecting them in the first place.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Two schools of thought I think. Hitting the port side again is potentially a good way to capsize her by making her roll. If they're closing off compartments to limit flooding, another hole potentially floods new areas that were sealed and protected from the initial hit. It's harder to flood the starboard side to maintain stability without sinking the ship.

Hitting the starboard puts a hole below her waterline if she's listing over. If she rights herself due to flooding, potentially the entire hole stays beneath the water. They can seal it off to prevent sinking, but with two holes and one beneath the waterline they may take on too much water for it to matter.
ABATTBQ11
AG
sclaff said:

It's in Novorossiysk. That's Russia proper and pretty far east of Crimea. I'm really surprised they were able to get drones that far and successfully strike a ship. A surface group or single ship would have a really hard time with a swarm of maybe 10-12 of these things.

Someone said operating them in pairs, but I could see small groups being more effective. Slave a handful to a mothership to guide them to a target area together, then give pilots control over them once they find a target or reach a jumping off point. A coordinated attack with half the swarm from multiple directions could cripple a ship, with a follow up to finish it off or potentially attack rescue efforts.
sclaff
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

sclaff said:

It's in Novorossiysk. That's Russia proper and pretty far east of Crimea. I'm really surprised they were able to get drones that far and successfully strike a ship. A surface group or single ship would have a really hard time with a swarm of maybe 10-12 of these things.

Someone said operating them in pairs, but I could see small groups being more effective. Slave a handful to a mothership to guide them to a target area together, then give pilots control over them once they find a target or reach a jumping off point. A coordinated attack with half the swarm from multiple directions could cripple a ship, with a follow up to finish it off or potentially attack rescue efforts.
thought it was Sevastopol.... my mistake
ABATTBQ11
AG
No worries
2wealfth Man
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

sclaff said:

This whole thing has to have gone so far beyond anything Putin could have imagined
txags92
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Two schools of thought I think. Hitting the port side again is potentially a good way to capsize her by making her roll. If they're closing off compartments to limit flooding, another hole potentially floods new areas that were sealed and protected from the initial hit. It's harder to flood the starboard side to maintain stability without sinking the ship.

Hitting the starboard puts a hole below her waterline if she's listing over. If she rights herself due to flooding, potentially the entire hole stays beneath the water. They can seal it off to prevent sinking, but with two holes and one beneath the waterline they may take on too much water for it to matter.
My question is if you have the ability to steer it and see what you are going to hit, why not hit the stern and try to pop the seals on the prop shafts so you flood the engine room? Sink the stern and it won't be going anywhere.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Another view. That's a pretty good list.

2wealfth Man
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

yea, that is a bad list to port
ABATTBQ11
AG
No idea, but I think that's a good idea

This one is an amphibious landing ship, so it has large internal spaces. Poke a good hole into one and it's going to be really hard to keep the ship afloat because the water has so much open space to flow into. The bow may have been a better option because the 775 class landing ship has a large bow gate. Damage that or blow it open and there may be uncontrollable flooding.

ABATTBQ11
AG
It's docked now, but there's already satellite images showing a big oil slick coming from it. It'll probably survive, but it's going to be out of commission for a long time.

ETA She's probably ****ed. Apparently her sister ship Tsezar Kunikov, which was damaged in March of last year in a missile attack while offloading equipment and supplies, is out of commission indefinitely due to a lack of parts to repair it. I would think Olenegorsky Gornyak is going to suffer a similar fate.
lb3
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
JFABNRGR
AG
2 BUK 1s and 2 EW jamming systems destroyed this week same general area. Were not far from a storm shadow hit on the Kerch bridge.
lb3
AG
I hope they can drop the main spans.
aezmvp
lb3 said:

I hope they can drop the main spans.
What you want to drop is the rail side and the electric and data cables heading over there.
aezmvp
Yeah if you look at the Ukrainians USVs are maybe 2 feet out of the water, you can see someone coming up with one that is nothing but a periscope / data link and a bigger warhead. Good luck stopping that effectively.
74OA
AG
aezmvp said:

Yeah if you look at the Ukrainians USVs are maybe 2 feet out of the water, you can see someone coming up with one that is nothing but a periscope / data link and a bigger warhead. Good luck stopping that effectively.
It would be easier and almost as effective to design a USV which can simply ballast down to the waterline as it waits in the sea-lanes or harbor approaches for a passing target.

In the meantime, Ukraine continues to innovate: USVs
SmallBusiness
ABATTBQ11 said:

Hitting the bridge 2 days before a grain deal to force a "blockade" from Russia.

Hitting a Russian ship near Novorossiysk (no where near the "bockade") a week later.
SamjamAg
AG
I don't understand how these ships cannot detect a drone on the water. Recreational marine radar (Garmin, Raymarine) can identify obstacles in the water for miles away.. even birds. I realize it has to be an above the water to detect.. but not much.
txags92
AG
It has alot to do with the height of the radar above the water surface, the sea state, and the cross-sectional profile the radar was designed to detect. Radars higher up will be able to see farther to the horizon, but will be less able to detect an object just slightly above the wave height closer in, particularly if the water conditions are choppy to rough. Beyond a certain distance out, the drones are likely smaller than the radar can reliably detect. Recreational radars sitting on top of a boat are closer to the water level so will be better able to pick out things near the boat that are just above the water, but will have a shorter overall range.
P.U.T.U
AG
You have to keep in mind that Russian radars were designed to find larger objects like ships or subsurface vehicles like subs, a small USV that barely sticks out of the water was not part of its design. Anything of that size would be like a RIB that you can clearly see.

The other issue is from the video that the USV is too close for deck guns to aim that low. There are a few other ways to knock them out but most cannot be deployed that quickly.
74OA
AG
.......and there's so much organics, clutter and spurious return out there that military radar computer software is written to filter a lot of it, otherwise the operators would be overwhelmed.
lb3
AG
Ship detection radars are optimized for detecting other ships at or beyond the horizon. To do that they use lower frequency bands that aren't absorbed by the atmosphere and can bend with the curvature of the earth. The downside is that It's difficult to detect anything that is significantly smaller than the wavelength of the beam you're trying to illuminate them with. For example a 30MHz radar has a wavelength of 10 meters and won't pick up a small semi-submerged surface drone.

Higher frequency radars are typically optimized for aircraft and are mostly pointed at the sky.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Deputy minister of defense of Ukraine: Ukrainian forces have breached the 1st Russian line of defense of in the south

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/4-august-deputy-minister-of-defense-of-ukraine-ukrainian
Gordo14
Waffledynamics said:

Quote:

Deputy minister of defense of Ukraine: Ukrainian forces have breached the 1st Russian line of defense of in the south

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/4-august-deputy-minister-of-defense-of-ukraine-ukrainian

Was going to say, this is starting to be reported by multiple sources.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Looking like a bad day for the Russians
Waffledynamics
AG
Surovikin line seems pretty stout, and to get to the shore would mean going through several water obstacles so it may still be slow going. I doubt we'll see a wide breakout like in Kharkiv last year. Seems they may have Tokmak in their sights.
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG

Not sensitive content - just Zelensky pictured with a raised fist
Gordo14
Large explosion reported on Kerch Strait Bridge.
Waffledynamics
AG

Quote:

Kerch bridge has been closed to traffic

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/4-august-kerch-bridge-has-been-closed-to-traffic-
PJYoung
AG

Waffledynamics
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 1165 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.