***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,538,058 Views | 47719 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by Waffledynamics
VitruvianAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Me too!

74OA
AG
Patriot SAMs doing work reaching out to Russian aircraft.

Today's SITREP.
74OA
AG
Here's more on Russia's steady decline.

Its biggest problem isn't the war. It's losing the 21st Century.

FAILING STATE
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Ukrainian Defense Forces to reinforce northern border in connection with events at Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant, - commander Nayev
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/4-july-ukrainian-defense-forces-to-reinforce-northern-border
Waffledynamics
AG
Reported 9 hours ago on LiveUAMap:

Quote:

Missile strike was reported at military warehouses in Yakymivka

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/4-july-missile-strike-was-reported-at-military-warehouses

74OA
AG
NATO beefing up planning to forward defend in its east.

(Thanks again, Vlad.)

OPLANS
lb3
AG
Despite the clickbait first post in this thread. It does a decent job outlining how attritional warfare favors Russia and NATO being afraid of escalation is playing into Russia's hands.

She doesn't just come out and say it but we need to be arming Ukraine with ground launchers for tomahawks and other long range weapons to allow the Ukrainians to dismantle the Russian arms industry.
AgLA06
AG
It amazes me someone can do all that "research" and write all that. Yet fail to realize the Russian manufacturing numbers not only are a completely bogus fabrication to start. And they're all from before sanctions.

And I actually agree with the premise that slow rolling weaponry to Ukraine is dumb.
SmallBusiness
AgLA06 said:

And I actually agree with the premise that slow rolling weaponry to Ukraine is dumb.
I agree. Likely there was never a real threat of escalation after the initial debacle that was the 'Three Day Special Operation' was over and Russia could tell they had their hands full.

Slow rolling has cost many UKR many lives. At the beginning, we weren't really convinced UKR wasn't going to roll over. Now there is no excuse.
74OA
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

General Staff of Armed forces of Ukraine says Russian troops deployed possible explosive devices at the roof of 4th unit of Zaporizhzhia power plant
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/4-july-general-staff-of-armed-forces-of-ukraine-says-russian
74OA
AG
LMCane said:

74OA said:

P.U.T.U said:

Mariupol and Melitopol are key logistic centers, take those and you cut off anything to the west like Kherson. I have not looked at the maps but if Ukraine made it that far in they are likely past the second line of defenses in that area. They will have to start again at Tokmak since I remember seeing defenses around the city
The offensive is still focused on attacking Russian logistics, command hubs and artillery, so Ukraine doesn't need to take Mariupol and Melitopol in the near term, just get close enough to place them under fire.

Getting close enough to hit them and the LOCs running from them is an important step towards starving the Russian force in the south of the high resupply volume needed to enable its usual prolific munitions expenditure--particularly artillery fires.

The broad-front Ukranian advance compliments this interdiction campaign and is intended, amongst other things, to keep as many Russians as possible in contact and steadily drawing down their stockpile of increasingly hard to get munitions.

Meanwhile, it appears that Ukraine's primary mechanized force is being held in reserve until sufficient weakness develops to make a concentrated assault on a narrower front feasible.

Will this approach succeed? I have no particular insight, but the strategy seems a good ends-ways-means fit for Ukrainian strengths and Russian weaknesses.

from what the Uke commentators are stating- it's the Russkie KA-52 and other attack choppers that are the biggest threat to their armor moving forward.

the Russians have greater range than anything the AFU can deploy- so their armor is always sitting ducks.

it may make sense to wait until F-16s come online-

and then use them to blast the Russian choppers when they come up to hit the advancing Uke armor hitting the weak spots.
Using helos cuts both ways. "Overall, the recently increased elimination of Russian helicopters over the past month is partly or entirely caused by the shortage of artillery at disposal of Russian invasion forces, as we explained in one of our previous articles. And the fact Russians deploy their army aviation to cover for the lack of howitzers plays an important role in the ongoing Ukrainian counteroffensive." If that's accurate, the sudden increased use of expensive attack helos instead of cheap artillery is actually a good sign.

HELOS
Gordo14

Lots of smoke suggesting Russia is preparing to do something at the Nuclear Power Plant. If it happens, when Tucker Carlson blames Ukraine, you'll know that Russia is in control of the plant and is making moves before the event occurs.
nortex97
AG
The smoke is all about a false flag operation: they've been lying about it for many days now, and issuing propaganda about the Russians/need to escalate if 'something' happens.

Quote:

Quote:

"The 4th and 6th power units of the Zaporozhye NPP were mined by Russia," Kyrylo Budanov
"The situation has never been as serious as it is now.

The plan of the terrorist attack at the ZNPP has been fully developed and approved. To accelerate the catastrophe, they can use technical means," Budanov stated
Now, Zelensky has made two separate videos where he plainly states that Russia is preparing a massive terrorist attack at the ZNPP plant "just like they did at the Kakhovka dam". He goes on to sternly warn the world and charge them with the responsibility to act with utmost severity in response to this upcoming Russian attack. He specifically invokes the threat of radiation crossing the borders into other NATO countries for obvious effect.

Ukrainian presidential advisor Podolyak added to the orchestrated release with his own statement, slowly conditioning the narrative that Russia is losing its grip on Energodar and will blow the plant to "stop the Ukrainian counter-offensive".

It's not all bad news, but there will be propaganda when the Ukrainians proceed with attacking a couple of the ZNPP reactors.

Let's hope it fails to trigger some sort of insane escalation.
sclaff
AG
Rossticus
" IMHO, nothing is going to happen to the Zaporizhia Nuclear Power plant neither tonight nor tomorrow or in the nearest time.

Russians have 0 reasons to blow up the biggest European NPP and therefore lose such a precious economic facility and such a handy instrument of intimidation and blackmailing against Ukraine & the world.

And if so, absolutely no one is going to very seriously buy it that it was Ukraine that blew up a giant NPP in the middle of its own national territory (well, no one except for the most interesting personalities on this website, I agree).

But if/when Russians have to leave the plant as a result of a military defeat -- they will be more than interested in stripping Ukraine of such a priceless facility that is crucial for the country's post-war reconstruction and development.

So unless the world gives a very clear message (such as "Ukraine will get a stockpile of Tomahawk missiles if anything happens to the NPP", for instance), chances are high that Russians are going to do that.

But before they have to leave forever, this is unlikely.
However, given all the dumb isht they've done throughout this war & beyond, that's not the hill I'd die on."
Eliminatus
AG
I agree as well and have for some time. I take all the warnings from the west as getting out in front of the issue right now so there is zero ambiguity of who did what and what would happen IF anything were to happen. A literal deterrence tactic.

Destroying that NPP would be so counterproductive to everyone involved that it is laughable to rational people. The problem lies that I do not think Putin is completely rational. Not that he is a crazed loon by any means though. I believe he is completely lucid but lives in a bubble of mixed reality. How many times have we seen world leaders fall into the very trap of surrounding themselves with yes men? It's a worldwide and multicultural adage at this point. So only time will tell of course. I think the chances are extremely unlikely but with Russia, they will never be 0 either.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Russia hit the Kharkiv region with the S-300 air defense system. Some of the rockets exploded in the Belgorod region, - Serhiy Melnyk, the head of the Kharkiv military garrison, reports
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/4-july-russia-hit-the-kharkiv-region-with-the-s300-air-defense
ReturnOfTheAg
AG
74OA said:

American ideals mean something!

Robert C. Christian
AG
That is a big boom.

sclaff
AG
Good thread outlining the necessary phases of the counteroffensive - with a comparison to Gulf War strategies

sclaff
AG
thread reader

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1676278761342345216.html
Rossticus
Rossticus
P.U.T.U
AG
Looks like they even had white phosphorous there. I almost think that Russia blames Ukraine for bombing the ammunition depots
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Russian bloggers reporting withdrawal from Klischiyivka

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/5-july-russian-bloggers-reporting-withdrawal-from-klischiyivka

Good news from south of Bakhmut.
Rossticus
Rossticus

Rossticus
FriscoKid
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Quote:

Russian bloggers reporting withdrawal from Klischiyivka

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/5-july-russian-bloggers-reporting-withdrawal-from-klischiyivka

Good news from south of Bakhmut.

MouthBQ98
AG
They need to quit fighting these front line trenched isolated Russian units and bypass them. Leave some small rear units to watch them and just wait for them to surrender once they get hungry from lack of food. They're not in any way equipped to counterattack or conduct a mobile operation so just cut them off by getting around and past them and attacking their logistics support.
Waffledynamics
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

They need to quit fighting these front line trenched isolated Russian units and bypass them. Leave some small rear units to watch them and just wait for them to surrender once they get hungry from lack of food. They're not in any way equipped to counterattack or conduct a mobile operation so just cut them off by getting around and past them and attacking their logistics support.

From my understanding, it seems this is what they're doing around Bakhmut. Taking Klischiyivka would cut a supply route.
Waffledynamics
AG
benchmark
AG
Quote:

... asymmetrical attrition gradient ...
Wow .... try and wrap your brain around that. LOL
Rossticus
Thread Rollup:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1676582398002180096.html

First Page Last Page
Page 1136 of 1364

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.