***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,541,748 Views | 47724 Replies | Last: 13 min ago by Ag with kids
74OA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
shiftyandquick said:

74OA said:

Another look at the effects inside Russia from the Wagner mutiny. If the analysis of the vast majority of commentators is correct about the negative impact on Putin's credibility, no way he deliberately staged something so damaging to himself.

MYTH
we often forget that what Putin does is not to influence us. It's to influence the people that sustain his power (Russians).
Then it was a double fail because the mutiny negatively influenced both our and his own people's view of him.
Waffledynamics
AG
74OA said:

Apparently Russian SAMs are having a tough time dealing with Storm Shadow.

Today's SITREP.
It seems ATACMS would exacerbate Russia's issues considering the difference in speed. Just from a quick Google search:

Storm Shadow: Mach .95 (323 m/s; 1,060 ft/s)

ATACMS: In excess of Mach 3 (0.6 mi/s; 1.0 km/s)
Not a Bot
AG
LMCane
Not a Bot said:

everyone is sleeping on this but I think it is the best news in months

I have mentioned this before months ago- a thrust across the Dnipro is the best way to really crush large parts of the Russian military

and get them on the run with minimum requirements to break through year long hardened minefields and trenches.
benchmark
AG
His Girthitude, General Milley setting expectations. NATO is expected to make a Ukraine membership invite in about 10 days ... so there's no telling what we're going to see/hear before July 11th. Including 'who-knows-what' from Russia.

ISW: RUSSIAN OFFENSIVE CAMPAIGN ASSESSMENT, JULY 1, 2023
Quote:

US Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Mark Milley acknowledged that Ukrainian counteroffensive operations will take longer than some Western observers had expected. Milley stated that Ukrainian forces are deliberately working through difficult minefields and advancing from 500m to 2,000m a day.[6] Milley reiterated that he expects Ukrainian counteroffensive operations to last up to 10 weeks and urged people to realize that the Ukrainian counteroffensive will be a long and likely costly operation.[7] Russian sources are increasingly claiming that Ukrainian forces are currently conducting assaults in southern Ukraine with smaller infantry groups and fewer armored vehicles than during earlier counteroffensive operations.[8] Russian sources also claim that Ukrainian forces are conducting reconnaissance-in-force operations in southern Ukraine in even smaller groups, some of them allegedly with seven to nine personnel.[9] These claims about Ukrainian operations suggest that Ukrainian forces are not currently attempting the kind of large-scale operations that would result in rapid territorial advances. Ukrainian officials have routinely indicated that Ukrainian forces have yet to commit a substantial portion of their forces to counteroffensive operations and have yet to launch the main phase of the counteroffensive.[10]
SPF250
AG
I thought NATO would not consider a membership request from anyone in active conflict?
benchmark
AG
SPF250 said:

I thought NATO would not consider a membership request from anyone in active conflict?
Probably something like an invitation to begin the process of joining NATO.
japantiger
S
Ulysses90 said:

Hopefully one lesson getting through is that just because you are fighting a "near peer" that it doesn't mean the war will be fought or won with standoff weapons and shaping operations. Misreading that might lead to the idea to pay for new technology through divestiture of tanks, tube artillery, and shrinking the number of trigger pullers in an infantry battalion by 15%.
A lot of what I read makes me really question what the Marines are doing...no tanks...
YouBet
AG
benchmark said:

His Girthitude, General Milley setting expectations. NATO is expected to make a Ukraine membership invite in about 10 days ... so there's no telling what we're going to see/hear before July 11th. Including 'who-knows-what' from Russia.

Quote:

US Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Mark Milley acknowledged that Ukrainian counteroffensive operations will take longer than some Western observers had expected. Milley stated that Ukrainian forces are deliberately working through difficult minefields and advancing from 500m to 2,000m a day.[6] Milley reiterated that he expects Ukrainian counteroffensive operations to last up to 10 weeks and urged people to realize that the Ukrainian counteroffensive will be a long and likely costly operation.[7] Russian sources are increasingly claiming that Ukrainian forces are currently conducting assaults in southern Ukraine with smaller infantry groups and fewer armored vehicles than during earlier counteroffensive operations.[8] Russian sources also claim that Ukrainian forces are conducting reconnaissance-in-force operations in southern Ukraine in even smaller groups, some of them allegedly with seven to nine personnel.[9] These claims about Ukrainian operations suggest that Ukrainian forces are not currently attempting the kind of large-scale operations that would result in rapid territorial advances. Ukrainian officials have routinely indicated that Ukrainian forces have yet to commit a substantial portion of their forces to counteroffensive operations and have yet to launch the main phase of the counteroffensive.[10]

Where does it say that in this report? It's long so maybe I missed it.

I
japantiger
S
benchmark said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Probably not something publicly available, but I would venture a guess that it has to do with EW, drones, and fighting without air superiority. Probably also thoughts on use of autonomous systems in highly contested areas.
For sure. Our SHORAD capabilities are questionable. No problem with air superiority ... but that's not guaranteed in all peer-to-peer scenarios.
Not an area I have any expertise in (SHORAD)...who currently deploys the best system/tactics for this? One of these articles indicates the RU are having significant challenges in this area.
Waffledynamics
AG
That's one old looking rifle in the first part of the video. Also, there seems to be some footage of medics treating a wound.

Link because it's considered NSFW
benchmark
AG
YouBet said:

Where does it say that in this report? It's long so maybe I missed it.
Not ISW. Most of the NATO/Ukraine chatter is coming from the Europeans and (obviously) Ukraine. A few recent links.

Reuters
UPI
Council on Foreign Affairs
Waffledynamics
AG
Sq 17
Putin won't make a deal
Hard to guess what the deal will look like not knowing who will be heading the Russian federation
Jetpilot86
AG
Waffledynamics said:

That's one old looking rifle in the first part of the video. Also, there seems to be some footage of medics treating a wound.

The rifle looks like a K98 Mauser. The bolt is an exact match for mine. The trigger guard in front is different, but the back sight also looks like a K98. It would be left over as a Russian capture from WW2. Throw a scope on it and it would make a decent sniper rifle. You can still buy one direct from Mauser set up for hunting for $10-20k.
74OA
AG
First drone strike on Kiev in 12 days and other miscellaneous notes.

STRIKE
docb
AG
**** Russia! Having dinner in Munich at the moment. Glad to see some Ukranian flags flying here. I think Europe has had enough of Putin's bull*****
AgLA06
AG
I find it interesting how the people that only show up after something perceived as negative for Ukraine happens have shifted talking points.

1) This will be over in days, he should flee the country.
to
2) This may take a month but Russia has regrouped and will roll them.
to
3) The west is wasting money arming Ukraine. Their offensive has no chance.
to
4) Yah... they took back Kharkiv, but they can't take Kherson or anything Russia has annexed.
to
5) They should negotiate peace now and give up Crimea and everything Russia holds. Russia has dug in in the east and south
to
6) Yah...Ukraine has taken more ground in this summer offensive into Russia's best defenses and more than Russia took in their offensive, but they should just agree to let Russia keep what it has now and join NATO.

If Ukraine continues having more success than Russia as they have sinve the invasion and wins this war this propaganda will be priceless.
74OA
AG
Very good read on how Wagner operates. Apparently, its various enterprises are financed by skimming off the top of its massive catering contract with the Russian military. Mercs are just one small part of it all.

"By Putin's own admission, Prigozhin's catering business was paid at least $1 billion last year through government-awarded contracts to feed tens of thousands of soldiers on the front line in Ukraine. These catering contracts have been the Russian state's main vehicle of financing Prigozhin and his dealings.

Prigozhin's main company, Concord, and subsidiary companies provided food and other services, almost certainly at an inflated price, and then used the overflow revenue to finance unofficial endeavors, including the mercenary group.

Concord runs a group of companies that has been providing food for the servicemen of the Russian Armed Forces since 2006," Prigozhin wrote in a June letter to Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu. "The revenue received from these companies is then used to finance the projects in Africa, Syria, and other countries, where the expenses for advancing the interests of the Russian state as of May 2023 amounted to 147 billion rubles [about $1.7 billion]."

GRAFT
YouBet
AG
Sq 17 said:

Putin won't make a deal
Hard to guess what the deal will look like not knowing who will be heading the Russian federation
Zelensky won't either....at least until / if the West stops funding him.

From WSJ:
Quote:

[Zelensky]: there is no chance of reaching a deal with Putin, a compromise to end the war, so the world should instead seek to isolate him.
Blackbeard94
AG
Russia keeps nothing. They are the aggressor and committed war crimes. Drive them out, or they may leave on their own. NATO supports Ukraine as long as they wish to fight, then they join NATO if they wish
AgLA06
AG
Blackbeard94 said:

Russia keeps nothing. They are the aggressor and committed war crimes. Drive them out, or they may leave on their own. NATO supports Ukraine as long as they wish to fight, then they join NATO if they wish

If this ends in Ukraine joining NATO, what's less risky for NATO? Funding billions until Russia is pushed out or allowing Russia to keep Ukraine land and be closer and another war?
74OA
AG
More insight on Wagner as a front for the Kremlin.

"The important fact: the Russian mercenaries do not care about the profit at all, they play a political role as the Kremlin's proxy, it is not the business."

Rather than seeking to profit off raw materials, Wagner's co-optation of mining concerns and other major industries of the African countries where it operates is about controlling that economy and shaping the government's decision-making to their advantage, a form of political co-optation called state capture.

"It's always been a political tool primarily and it's always been a means to co-opt and effectively gain state capture over isolated regimes that are dependent on an external force," Joseph Siegle, director of the Africa Center for Strategic studies told Vox. Wagner as a proxy for the Russian state can deeply embed itself into countries like Mali, CAR, and Sudan where the leadership is unstable or nonexistent, and as those countries are further isolated, they increasingly rely on Wagner and Russia, Siegle said."

REAVERS
Waffledynamics
AG

Berkhivka is North of Bahmut, between the city and Krasna Hora.
YouBet
AG

[Note to the board: any more derails will result in bans -- Staff]
74OA
AG
benchmark said:

Quote:

It doesn't say anything about NATO in the quote, nor does it say that anywhere in your attached link.
2000AgPhD
Jetpilot86 said:

Waffledynamics said:

The rifle looks like a K98 Mauser. The bolt is an exact match for mine. The trigger guard in front is different, but the back sight also looks like a K98. It would be left over as a Russian capture from WW2. Throw a scope on it and it would make a decent sniper rifle. You can still buy one direct from Mauser set up for hunting for $10-20k.

That is just an old Mosin-Nagant, I believe.
benchmark
AG
74OA said:

It doesn't say anything about NATO in the quote, nor does it say that anywhere in your attached link.
Sorry, my first post was misleading and I tried to clarify in a later post ... but apparently, I did a poor job with that also.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
benchmark said:

SPF250 said:

Probably something like an invitation to begin the process of joining NATO.

This will never happen.
agsalaska
AG
Did anyone see that video today of the Uke soldiers messing with the Mosin Nagant that they found in the Russian trenches. The were jacking with it and what I think may have been a pieced together AK.

That would be like us sending 03-a3s or Enfield rifles, old 30-06 rifles that were not any more accurate then than they are now.

The SKS is a far superior rifle compared to those old Mosins, not to mention the AK-47.But I don't think I have seen an SKS in Russian hands. Certainly seen them in Uke hands, mostly locals. I think it is a sign that they are throwing local militia guys who have had those rifles for decades into the trenches.

For some reason that and the T-54s being used as intrenched artillery blow my mind.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Eliminatus
AG
agsalaska said:

Did anyone see that video today of the Uke soldiers messing with the Mosin Nagant that they found in the Russian trenches. The were jacking with it and what I think may have been a pieced together AK.

That would be like us sending 03-a3s or Enfield rifles, old 30-06 rifles that were not any more accurate then than they are now.

The SKS is a far superior rifle compared to those old Mosins, not to mention the AK-47.But I don't think I have seen an SKS in Russian hands. Certainly seen them in Uke hands, mostly locals. I think it is a sign that they are throwing local militia guys who have had those rifles for decades into the trenches.

For some reason that and the T-54s being used as intrenched artillery blow my mind.
I think most of them are conscripts from the DNR and LNR districts. These are rated as even less important that normal Russian conscripts, if that were even possible. Early vids from the invasion had these militia units armed with Mosins with matching web gear and helmets. Those first units were butchered. I just don't see the supply situation getting any better since then, especially to the long range strikes the Ukes have been doing on the logistical points in those regions.

Still wild.
Eliminatus
AG
DCPD158 said:

Seems the precision munitions might be worth their weight in gold
They absolutely are, and therein lies a massive problem. These weapons are expensive to make and field. Maybe if larger production runs are finally initiated, costs will go down. For now though, limited availability will always be a massive concern. We see this first hand with the Javelins. We gave a bunch to Ukraine at the outset and they wreaked havoc on the Russian armor. I would even go so far as to say it was decisive in the first critical weeks. But we could only give so many and it is extremely likely the Ukes have expended the vast majority of them. Russian tanks now have a much better chance to close with and do a lot of damage where before they would have been picked off a km away. This is what we are seeing with current combat videos.

One of the areas where this war has exposed our own weaknesses is our own procurement cycles in numbers and timing. Frankly, we are underequipped to fight a stand up fight with a country like Russia that can absorb losses in numbers we have not seen since Korea. Same with pretty much every NATO entity. Thankfully, most have taken that slap across the face and are starting to rectify that issue. Yes, the MIC will get paid, but our own stocks will be greatly enhanced and hopefully our own next war will see us properly kitted out with enough tech to not suffer undue losses while we "build-up". Something some of us here have first hand experience with.
Rossticus
Thread Rollup: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1675211147748712450.html

PJYoung
AG
bonfarr
AG
This War resembles more of the WWI stalemate than the quick thrusts of WWII. I had hoped to see more movement of the battle lines favoring the Ukrainians by now as I just don't think time is on their side.
First Page Last Page
Page 1133 of 1364

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.