***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,549,746 Views | 47730 Replies | Last: 21 min ago by MaroonStain
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good article from RCD as to how/why Putin, and Russian politics in general, strategically cannot end the Ukraine war:

Quote:

The third reason involves the growth in the number of beneficiaries, if not of the war itself, then of active support for it. Today, the public ratings of not only federal but also regional as well as local authorities depend on their degree of involvement in the war. As one experts point out, in the face of the threat of an external enemy, a "depoliticization of ideas of social justice [takes place], that is, its transfer from internal socioeconomic problems to the level of international politics and the special military operation as an event aimed at protecting the national interests of the country and restoring social justice" (T.me/russica2, February 11).

This is also understood by regional political scientists, who openly note that "support for the [special military operation] guarantees votes in elections" and explain how this has influenced the growing popularity of specific governors (Russia-rating.ru, December 28, 2022). As a result, both federal and regional authorities are trying to stand out as much as possible in supporting those who came to Ukraine armed and ready to kill its citizens.

Some Russian State Duma deputies propose involving these officials in teaching at schools in the occupied territories and promise to support them when they are nominated for elections. They also regularly report on measures taken to support "participants of the [special military operation]" (Kp.ru, January 14). Such a policy greatly raises the status of people returning from the war. This, in turn, creates the fourth reason for the impossibility of ending the warthat is, not only the increase in the number of radical patriots but also an increase in their influence in Russian society.
GinMan
AG
nortex97 said:

Good article from RCD as to how/why Putin, and Russian politics in general, strategically cannot end the Ukraine war:

Quote:

The third reason involves the growth in the number of beneficiaries, if not of the war itself, then of active support for it. Today, the public ratings of not only federal but also regional as well as local authorities depend on their degree of involvement in the war. As one experts point out, in the face of the threat of an external enemy, a "depoliticization of ideas of social justice [takes place], that is, its transfer from internal socioeconomic problems to the level of international politics and the special military operation as an event aimed at protecting the national interests of the country and restoring social justice" (T.me/russica2, February 11).

This is also understood by regional political scientists, who openly note that "support for the [special military operation] guarantees votes in elections" and explain how this has influenced the growing popularity of specific governors (Russia-rating.ru, December 28, 2022). As a result, both federal and regional authorities are trying to stand out as much as possible in supporting those who came to Ukraine armed and ready to kill its citizens.

Some Russian State Duma deputies propose involving these officials in teaching at schools in the occupied territories and promise to support them when they are nominated for elections. They also regularly report on measures taken to support "participants of the [special military operation]" (Kp.ru, January 14). Such a policy greatly raises the status of people returning from the war. This, in turn, creates the fourth reason for the impossibility of ending the warthat is, not only the increase in the number of radical patriots but also an increase in their influence in Russian society.

Who is this guy?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CpRF60IJx1C/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
nortex97
AG
No idea, looks like pure propaganda akin to Biden's red speech.

The dynamics in Russia make it challenging to see any Russian leader, post-Putin, likely to emerge which would quickly 'withdraw from the crimea and all pre-invasion positions/territory boundaries' though.

There continues to be a dearth of efforts to push toward truce/ceasefire negotiations, from what I can see. Russia demands Crimean annexations be accepted as a precondition:

Quote:

"There are certain realities that have already become domestic in RussiaI mean the new Russian territories," Peskov said, according to the Russian state-controlled media outlet Tass. "There is the Constitution of the Russian Federation, which cannot be ignored by anyone, and which the Russian side will never be able to give up."

He continued, "These are very important realities. And there are also certain goals of the Russian Federation, which she performs during the SVO [spetsialnaya voennaya operatsiya, or special military operation]."

Since Putin launched the invasion of Ukraine on February 24, 2022, Russian officials have remained firm that Crimea, which Putin annexed in 2014, must remain part of its nation in any future peace talks. In addition, the Kremlin maintains that four additional territories it illegitimately annexed this past September must also be recognized as Russian.

Meanwhile, Ukraine has said that any peace deal must invalidate the four recent annexations and that Crimea must again be considered part of Ukraine.
The intensity of fighting in/around Bakhmut is only increasing, and Ukrainians are pulling back.
Waffledynamics
AG

Quote:

Russian media: RosGuard with MLRS GRAD to be deployed in Klimovo district of Briansk region to fight saboteurs

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/2-march-russian-media-rosguard-with-mlrs-grad-to-be-deployed

Quote:

Russian FSB border guards reported clashes with violators of the state border in Klimovo district of Briansk region

https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/2-march-russian-fsb-border-guards-reported-clashes-with-violators

Quote:

Russian media report hostage-taking situation in Sushany village of Briansk region, according to report 6 people could be taken hostages. Blame Ukrainian saboteur group
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/2-march-russian-media-report-hostagetaking-situation-in-sushany

Quote:

Russian media claim 2 children wounded in Lyubechane village of Bryansk village with small arms fire, blame Ukrainian saboteur group
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/2-march-russian-media-claim-2-children-wounded-in-lyubechane

Well that's all interesting, because:

Quote:

Several videos of "Russian volunteer corps" appeared online, taking responsibility for the clashes in Briansk region of Russia
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/2-march-several-videos-of-russian-volunteer-corps-appeared

Quote:

"Russian volunteer corps": we are not fighting with civilians, calls for arms to fight Putin's army. "Death to Kremlin's tyrant"
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/2-march-russian-volunteer-corps-we-are-not-fighting-with

And the final laughable moment:

Quote:

Authorities of Briansk region now dismiss all reports about "dozens of saboteurs", "explosions at infrastructure", "dozens of hostages" as "Ukrainian disinformation campaign"
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/2-march-authorities-of-briansk-region-now-dismiss-all-reports

Your FSB reported it, did they not, Russia?
Waffledynamics
AG
What the

revvie
AG
They don't maintain their aircraft well. All the rust and peeling paint.
AgLA06
AG
Anyone else not surprised at the state of the russian A-50U dome? Rusted and dented.

Or that the airfield essentially appears to be unguarded without a soldier in sight?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Sure sounds like a few people here...
txags92
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Sure sounds like a few people putin-bots here...
FIFY
AgLA06
AG
nortex97 said:

No idea, looks like pure propaganda akin to Biden's red speech.

The dynamics in Russia make it challenging to see any Russian leader, post-Putin, likely to emerge which would quickly 'withdraw from the crimea and all pre-invasion positions/territory boundaries' though.

There continues to be a dearth of efforts to push toward truce/ceasefire negotiations, from what I can see. Russia demands Crimean annexations be accepted as a precondition:

Quote:

"There are certain realities that have already become domestic in RussiaI mean the new Russian territories," Peskov said, according to the Russian state-controlled media outlet Tass. "There is the Constitution of the Russian Federation, which cannot be ignored by anyone, and which the Russian side will never be able to give up."

He continued, "These are very important realities. And there are also certain goals of the Russian Federation, which she performs during the SVO [spetsialnaya voennaya operatsiya, or special military operation]."

Since Putin launched the invasion of Ukraine on February 24, 2022, Russian officials have remained firm that Crimea, which Putin annexed in 2014, must remain part of its nation in any future peace talks. In addition, the Kremlin maintains that four additional territories it illegitimately annexed this past September must also be recognized as Russian.

Meanwhile, Ukraine has said that any peace deal must invalidate the four recent annexations and that Crimea must again be considered part of Ukraine.
The intensity of fighting in/around Bakhmut is only increasing, and Ukrainians are pulling back.
It never ceases to amaze me how what you post doesn't even match the article you post. Somehow a more negative version.

"So far they've held the city, but if need be, they will strategically pull back because we're not going to sacrifice all of our people just for nothing."

Russian forces have assaulted Bakhmut for months in an attempt to capture the city and gain a foothold in Ukraine's eastern Donetsk region.

docb
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Security Service of Ukraine detained Russian saboteur attempting to blow up transportation infrastructure in Rivne
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/2-march-security-service-of-ukraine-detained-russian-saboteur

This happened at the highlighted handcuffs icon.
ABATTBQ11
AG
AgLA06 said:

Anyone else not surprised at the state of the russian A-50U dome? Rusted and dented.

Or that the airfield essentially appears to be unguarded without a soldier in sight?

TBF, maintenance is expensive and often deferred even in our air force. F-22's have been seen with peeling paint and skin issues, likely because maintaining their stealth coatings for non-combat operations just isn't worth it.
AgLA06
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

AgLA06 said:

TBF, maintenance is expensive and often deferred even in our air force. F-22's have been seen with peeling paint and skin issues, likely because maintaining their stealth coatings for non-combat operations just isn't worth it.
Sure. But I don't remember any of our planes during war time in an active war zone like that. Because we were prioritizing them.
Touchless
AG
lb3 said:

This video is crazy. Would love to hear how this turned out.
AgLA06
AG
Considering a BMP had him fixed in place at close range in addition to a guy with lots of RPG while others were assaulting, I'm guessing chances weren't good. Doesn't appear he had a way to take out the BMP.
Waffledynamics
AG
lb3
AG
Couldn't have been good. I'm wondering where the overlapping fields of fire were. Other positions likely already engaged? Regardless, that is a tough spot to be in if your trench isn't long enough for you to pop up in a different location out of the MBP's immediate field of view.

Ukes are dying in Bakhmut in large numbers. The Russians are just dying in even larger numbers.

Unfortunately for the Ukes, wars of attrition with larger neighbors are usually unsustainable. Zeihan is taking a macro view of the war and feels that the Ukes need to up their casualty ratios from about 3:1 currently to about 8:1 in order to succeed. Unless the Ukes can break into the rear, I'm not sure how they achieve that.
Waffledynamics
AG
lb3 said:

Couldn't have been good. I'm wondering where the overlapping fields of fire were. Other positions likely already engaged? Regardless, that is a tough spot to be in if your trench isn't long enough for you to pop up in a different location out of the MBP's immediate field of view.

Ukes are dying in Bakhmut in large numbers. The Russians are just dying in even larger numbers.

Unfortunately for the Ukes, wars of attrition with larger neighbors are usually unsustainable. Zeihan is taking a macro view of the war and feels that the Ukes need to up their casualty ratios from about 3:1 currently to about 8:1 in order to succeed. Unless the Ukes can break into the rear, I'm not sure how they achieve that.
Defensive meatgrinders like Severodonetsk and Bakhmut.
ABATTBQ11
AG
AgLA06 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

AgLA06 said:

Sure. But I don't remember any of our planes during war time in an active war zone like that. Because we were prioritizing them.

I'm not sure it's mission critical and "in an active war zone" though. It's in Belarus, so it's only supporting operations in a limited capacity, if at all. There's only one there, so availability/readiness isn't a huge concern. All things considered, they've got bigger concerns at the moment.

What should be more concerning is the lack of security, both on the flight line and around the base. It seems there's no system in place to keep this from happening again. Deferring maintenance is thing, but losing an aircraft altogether is something else. If they could land a drone on the thing, they could easily suicide drone it and destroy the dome. I have no doubt they successfully attacked it. Question is how much damage was done
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Loud explosion was reported in Kolomna of Moscow region, audible across the town
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/2-march-loud-explosion-was-reported-in-kolomna-of-moscow

Nagler
AG

Something else for the Russians to worry about?
lb3
AG
There is some crazy stuff going on today. Reports of explosions outside Moscow, Chechen warlord and Putin boot licker possibly poisoned, and Russian Nationals attacking towns in Russia's Bryansk region.
Waffledynamics
AG
I can't find anything really on this and consider it a rumor at this time.
Eliminatus
AG
Confirmed dead unfortunately. His body pic was floating around a couple of days ago in the bottom of the trench. Looked like a few others Ukes were captured in the same action.

Still wild to me to see how sparsely manned some of these defensive works are. On both sides. For being one of the more massive conflicts this world has seen in recent memory there is a lot of men dying seemingly alone or with maybe one other nearby. Which is horrible to me.
LMCane
Eliminatus said:

Confirmed dead unfortunately. His body pic was floating around a couple of days ago in the bottom of the trench. Looked like a few others Ukes were captured in the same action.

Still wild to me to see how sparsely manned some of these defensive works are. On both sides. For being one of the more massive conflicts this world has seen in recent memory there is a lot of men dying seemingly alone or with maybe one other nearby. Which is horrible to me.
this is why there are only a few thousand dead each week- versus 50,000 dead in a week during WWII

there are just much smaller units fighting over the same territory as in 1943-44
docb
AG
Touchless said:

lb3 said:

The more I watch this honestly I think it is fake. The reason I say this is two things. First he doesn't even look like he's even trying to duck down in the trench with all that fire coming in and second the explosions that take place right by him don't even move him. I'm calling this a fake.
MouthBQ98
AG
If the Ukrainian defenses are so thin, and the Russian attackers don't really number that many more, the attacking formations have to be pretty thin in many places too, right? That screams strategic attack as a defense to me. Put them off balance and take territory back.
Eliminatus
AG
Yup. I had a post writeup that TA ate and I got butthurt and just ended up responding to the above. But I had mentioned how everything seems to be squadbased or lighter. It is just happening everywhere. Similar to what we saw early occupational phases of Iraq. Just small batches of dudes running around and sometimes colliding and butchering each other.

Artillery is still King of the battlefield and positive why this is why the fighting has devolved to this. Well, along with some lack of training as well. But any group of men gets chopped up pretty badly. This video below just came out a couple of days ago of a squad of Russians in the open. They did not have a good time. Dumbasses still can't figure out dispersion. Especially out in the open.

Rossticus
Russia really nervous over proposition of Ukraine gaining air capabilities. Question is, what would they realistically do about it? They have virtually no means of military response apart from nukes, and that gets Russia one headed right back at them. Only other options are cyber warfare and infrastructure sabotage, which aren't likely to be sufficiently deterrent.

Maximus_Meridius
AG
Rossticus said:

Russia really nervous over proposition of Ukraine gaining air capabilities. Question is, what would they realistically do about it? They have virtually no means of response apart from nukes, and that gets Russia one headed right back at them.

Ha. Right. Go on, punch Poland. See how THAT turns out. Russia's no more going to do anything about that than they have done so far. They're stupid, not suicidal.
Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG
Eliminatus
AG
docb said:

Touchless said:

lb3 said:

The more I watch this honestly I think it is fake. The reason I say this is two things. First he doesn't even look like he's even trying to duck down in the trench with all that fire coming in and second the explosions that take place right by him don't even move him. I'm calling this a fake.
Basis of that? He is down pretty well in that trench. Angle looks like bullets are hitting all around him at head height but it is actually going over. Enough to be in relative safety. Relative key word there. A well disciplined soldier, or lost in the combat haze, would not bother with ducking in that situation. It would prevent you from responding in kind, which he is doing and doing every well. He engaged back with at least three grenade launches. And definitely saw him flinch down on close blasts but then immediately correct and reengage.

You ever been suppressed by heavy automatic weaponry? Not saying that to try to call you out or anything I promise but truly curious. This is not only real as **** to me, but he performed above and beyond. Especially if just a new soldier himself. He never stopped fighting the entire time. It is actually literally a hallmark of a seasoned soldier to NOT overreact under fire and remain cool, calm, and collected. Just like I see here.
First Page Last Page
Page 1021 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.