***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,549,743 Views | 47730 Replies | Last: 20 min ago by MaroonStain
Waffledynamics
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Congressional Armed Services Committee: Weapons must be sent to Ukraine without fear of Putin's escalation
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/28-february-congressional-armed-services-committee-weapons

Quote:

Pentagon to the Congress Armed Forces Committee: We have not noticed any deviation in the use of our weapons in Ukraine
https://liveuamap.com/en/2023/28-february-pentagon-to-the-congress-armed-forces-committee

Curious if we will see a change in materiel after this. We've talked a lot about offensive needs.
74OA
AG
The missing piece is airpower. It is a key component of combined arms operations and particularly valuable for reaching into a defense in depth to disrupt it and interdict its supporting LOCs.

At the moment, however, air defenses are denying both sides the ability to effectively employ airpower in most of its traditional combat roles.

Within its range limits, HIMARS' responsiveness and accuracy do give Ukraine a facsimile of some aspects of airpower and it is more operationally impactful than are Russia's longer-ranged but intermittent and low-volume cruise missile/suicide drone strikes.

Most occupied territory is now within HIMARS range, so it will be interesting to see if it can substitute for airpower sufficiently to break open Russia's well-prepared defenses for a ground attack in the South.
LMCane
MouthBQ98 said:

Mobilized poorly trained reserves can be made to be somewhat effective in defense if adequately equipped and supported but they'll be almost useless in the attack without a lot of training and experience. About the only tactic they can execute is what they are being used for now: bullet catchers to probe defenses before follow on forces with combat experience make a real attack.
which is why I am thinking it may be smarter for the UFA to husband those 300 main battle tanks and use them as strategic reserve behind the front to destroy any Russian penetrations

this is much like the situation facing Germany north of Ukraine in the spring of 43- to launch a full counter attack or use their reinforcements as a defensive shield. they chose poorly

I would worry that 300 Uke tanks, never before used in combined arms ops

could just be shot up by the Russians in defense and then the Ukes just gave up a massive strategic advantage.
74OA
AG
UPDATES
AgLA06
AG
LMCane said:

MouthBQ98 said:

Mobilized poorly trained reserves can be made to be somewhat effective in defense if adequately equipped and supported but they'll be almost useless in the attack without a lot of training and experience. About the only tactic they can execute is what they are being used for now: bullet catchers to probe defenses before follow on forces with combat experience make a real attack.
which is why I am thinking it may be smarter for the UFA to husband those 300 main battle tanks and use them as strategic reserve behind the front to destroy any Russian penetrations

this is much like the situation facing Germany north of Ukraine in the spring of 43- to launch a full counter attack or use their reinforcements as a defensive shield. they chose poorly

I would worry that 300 Uke tanks, never before used in combined arms ops

could just be shot up by the Russians in defense and then the Ukes just gave up a massive strategic advantage.

True. Then again that also buys Russia more time to layer defenses, arm and train troops. The Ukes aren't Germany here, they have to push Russia out.
Rossticus

Rossticus

Rossticus
Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Who?mikejones!
Yep66
AG
Who?mikejones!
Welp,never mind them. I'll delete the false info
Waffledynamics
AG
Supposedly Russia is using TOS-1A against Bakhmut.

Waffledynamics
AG
Rossticus
FWIW. Just rumors atm. Could be disinfo.

Rossticus

74OA
AG
Rossticus said:

For only two 35mm gun systems to cover/defend that much acreage is remarkable, unless each system is composed of many distributed cannons?

SYKNEX
AgLA06
AG
Here's what I can find. Each system is 2 guns that can have added SAMs. Only 3 rounds are needed to take down a threat.

The weapons system itself consists of two 35 mm (1.38 inch) revolver cannons with a rate of fire of 1,000 rounds per minute, a fire control system made up of a sensor unit and a detached command post. The Skyshield can also use up to two surface-to-air missile 8-cell modules for an expanded air defense capability. The Skyshield is designed for traditional anti-aircraft roles in addition to defense against missiles (see anti-ballistic missile).

The Skyshield is easily deployed by trucks and other transportation systems.
74OA
AG
Thanks. It'd be interesting to know which options these two particular systems include.
Rossticus
Missile attacks on Ukrainian civilian centers look to be picking back up again.

Waffledynamics
AG

Note: Serbia is an observer state of the CSTO.
docb
AG
It sure would be nice to knock out 3-4 of those cruisers in one mission
GAC06
AG
Rossticus said:

Missile attacks on Ukrainian civilian centers look to be picking back up again.

The ship in the foreground is currently deployed to the bottom of the Black Sea
Not a Bot
AG

74OA
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Note: Serbia is an observer state of the CSTO.
.......and a de facto client state of Moscow, so particularly interesting if this was a state-approved sale rather than an arms dealer operating sub rosa.
Rossticus
Rossticus
Would love to see it get some company.
74OA
AG
Today's SITREP.
Not a Bot
AG

Eliminatus
AG
74OA said:

The missing piece is airpower. It is a key component of combined arms operations and particularly valuable for reaching into a defense in depth to disrupt it and interdict its supporting LOCs.

At the moment, however, air defenses are denying both sides the ability to effectively employ airpower in most of its traditional combat roles.

Within its range limits, HIMARS' responsiveness and accuracy do give Ukraine a facsimile of some aspects of airpower and it is more operationally impactful than are Russia's longer-ranged but intermittent and low-volume cruise missile/suicide drone strikes.

Most occupied territory is now within HIMARS range, so it will be interesting to see if it can substitute for airpower sufficiently to break open Russia's well-prepared defenses for a ground attack in the South.
Aye. Definitely not alone in thinking lack of air superiority is the number one failing of the Russians to date by a large margin. I think you are right in the role of HIMARS to some extent but I see it more as a strategic asset, going after supply dumps, command and control centers, troop barracks and repair shops, etc. Quick tactical long range assets still seems to fall to arty and maybe drones a bit. Which is not a real substitute for the Ukes I don't think.

Also question the numbers of HIMARS available. We don't make THAT many of them and the Russians are proving a very old theory of war. No matter how good your best weapon is, it usually is not enough to stop a determined enemy by itself. The Ukes have done great work with HIMARS to date but damn me if it doesn't look like whack a mole.
AgLA06
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/Damnthatsinteresting/comments/11ekagu/30mm_russian_ap_round_that_failed_to_penetrate/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Ukrainian soldier takes a 30mm AP round to the vest and survives.
Eliminatus
AG
Not a Bot said:

Absolutely been my train of thought. Most of us realize that sudden breakthroughs into lightly prepared back lines can be beyond disastrous. I am sure the Ukes have been trying to prepare back up defenses like mad but they more than anyone know how porous and strong they will be ultimately.

I have read on so many occasions how the number one commodity on a battlefield being lost, is time. And how much has been sacrificed to buy that time over the years. Entire fighting units have been thrown away in order to slow the enemy for better defenses to be prepared/ fall back in order. I have long thought that the single worst job this world has ever seen has been to be in command of a desperate and doomed rear guard action. It actually takes an enormous amount of discipline to fight in these actions as everyone can imagine. With poorly trained troops, it actually may be better to try to fight to the end rather than get rolled up in a general rout. Time will tell on this one of course.
Waffledynamics
AG
Some perspective.

FamousAgg
Russia's skill at destroying Ukrainian anti-tank mines is impressive

First Page Last Page
Page 1019 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.