***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,551,421 Views | 47731 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by Waffledynamics
cbr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JFABNRGR said:

aggiehawg said:

What am I looking at?

Nasty stuff. Explodes in air and rains molten death burning everything it touches. In Vietnam famously called willy pete for white phosphorus. I forgot what this the new stuff is but someone will add.

Edit update. I thought there was a newer name for this but apparently its still white phosphorus. Burns like 4000 degrees. You dont want to be around it.
Iirc it keeps burning without need for an oxidiszer…i.e. under water…i.e inside your ass.
txags92
AG
JFABNRGR said:

aggiehawg said:

What am I looking at?

Nasty stuff. Explodes in air and rains molten death burning everything it touches. In Vietnam famously called willy pete for white phosphorus. I forgot what this the new stuff is but someone will add.

Edit update. I thought there was a newer name for this but apparently its still white phosphorus. Burns like 4000 degrees. You dont want to be around it.
You were probably thinking of the change in terminology from FAE bombs to thermobaric weapons. That got talked about a lot early in the war when the Russians started using WP and people were confusing the thermobaric weapons with WP.
txags92
AG
cbr said:

JFABNRGR said:

aggiehawg said:

What am I looking at?

Iirc it keeps burning without need for an oxidiszer…i.e. under water…i.e inside your ass.
Are you sure WP burns under water? I guess maybe it will keep burning if submerged, but it generally will not autoignite under water. We were dealing with some potential WP UXO munitions in a lake and our techs could not surface them to complete their ID for fear of autoignition when exposed to the air. So they had to do all their ID by feel instead of visually because the water about a 6" visibility.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

i.e. under water…i.e inside your ass.
That is illegal under Geneva Conventions, right?
txags92
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

i.e. under water…i.e inside your ass.
That is illegal under Geneva Conventions, right?
Gray area IIRC. If it is used for illumination flares or smoke generation, I think it is legal, but if it is deliberately used to start fires, burn troops/civilians, etc. I think it is illegal under GC.
Waffledynamics
AG
lotoarmy
AG
JFABNRGR said:

aggiehawg said:

What am I looking at?

Scariest stuff I ever saw in the Army (except maybe flechet rounds fired from 105 mm field guns. They had thousands of flechets that looked like 10 penny finish nails, that had fins stamped on them, instead of a head).
Last of the Old Army
GAC06
AG
Nothing wrong with using it as smoke or a mark or against troops or equipment. Not ok against civilians but Russia clearly doesn't give a crap about that.
aggiehawg
AG
GAC06 said:

Nothing wrong with using it as smoke or a mark or against troops or equipment. Not ok against civilians but Russia clearly doesn't give a crap about that.
It can be used on "suspected" <ahem> enemy positions?

Simple question: Is Ukraine using those as much, if at all?
Waffledynamics
AG
aggiehawg said:

GAC06 said:

I don't think I've seen it. I suppose they could, but to what end, really?
Not a Bot
AG
GAC06
AG
aggiehawg said:

GAC06 said:

Sure. Let's be honest it's not like someone will enforce the Geneva conventions
74OA
AG
sclaff
AG
Drill down of Bakhmut. AFU is prepping to withdraw, but within 4 days temps will climb and the muddy season will begin and stay until April.

Possible that Russian advances will stall and Bakhmut holds.

If the muddy season is about to start, why the talk of a major Russian offensive ? A year ago, Russian supply routes became trapped on highways

shiftyandquick
sclaff said:

Drill down of Bakhmut. AFU is prepping to withdraw, but within 4 days temps will climb and the muddy season will begin and stay until April.

Possible that Russian advances will stall and Bakhmut holds.

If the muddy season is about to start, why the talk of a major Russian offensive ? A year ago, Russian supply routes became trapped on highways

If there is a massive invasion, do they need to roll their tanks now before it warms up?
74OA
AG
Another SITREP.
mike0305
I'm convinced the Russians used their geneva conv. documents as TP when they ran out one day shortly after signing.
Smeghead4761
GAC06 said:

For a good discussion of the legalities of WP weapons, check out this article from 2019, when Turkey was reported to have used WP against Kurdish rebels.

Legally, WP is neither an incendiary weapon (designed with the primary intent to start fires and/or burn people and things) nor a chemical weapon.

The Law of Armed Conflict does not outright ban the use of incendiary weapons, even if WP were so classified. Incendiaries can be used, subject to the following rules:

Quote:

Article 2, titled "Protection of civilians and civilian objects," prohibits four uses of incendiary weapons:
- Making civilian or civilian objects the object of attack by incendiary weapons.
- Attacking a military objective located within a concentration of civilians with air-delivered incendiary weapons.
- Attacking a military objective located within a concentration of civilians with a non-air-delivered incendiary weapon, except when such military objective is clearly separated from the concentration of civilians and all feasible precautions are taken to minimize collateral damage.
- Making forests or other kinds of plant cover the object of attack by incendiary weapons except when such natural elements are used to cover, conceal or camouflage combatants or other military objectives.

The use of WP as a weapon goes back at least as far as WWII. See this photo of WP munitions being used against a Japanese airfield on Rabaul or this one of aerial WP munitions being used against a flight of B-24s.
Smeghead4761
A View from Talinn

Quote:

Could it all go south and get worse? Sure can.
Will it all go south and get worse if the West were to leave Ukraine to its fate?
Unquestionably.
Regardless of what cards come out of the deck, it is better for Ukrainians to fight for Ukrainian independence east of the Dnieper, than for an American-Polish force to try to hold the line at the Vistula long enough for a German-British-Franco led force to set a second line at the Oder.
cbr
AG
txags92 said:

cbr said:

JFABNRGR said:

aggiehawg said:

What am I looking at?

Are you sure WP burns under water? I guess maybe it will keep burning if submerged, but it generally will not autoignite under water. We were dealing with some potential WP UXO munitions in a lake and our techs could not surface them to complete their ID for fear of autoignition when exposed to the air. So they had to do all their ID by feel instead of visually because the water about a 6" visibility.
I recalled that it did but was wrong. It does require an oxygen source, but it burns so hot and persistently once it gets going it does a lot of damage and has to be totally starved of oxygen to put it out - and even then it can reignite if exposed to oxygen again. and in the body it also is poisonous, just nasty stuff.
cbr
AG
Biden going to ukraine!?
News reports that we blew up nordsteam
M1's supposedly to ukraine along with other aid
Putin's latest speech focussed on war w the west and 'existential' conflict
Xi planning trip to russia

The optics are lining up for a huge escalation.
jobu93
AG
China providing Russia with arms is the most problematic.

The way this is going, Russia is performing poorly and running through it's munitions at an unsustainable rate. Russia has the manpower for attrition but it won't have the armament to do so. China changes that equation.
pagerman @ work
AG
jobu93 said:

China providing Russia with arms is the most problematic.

The way this is going, Russia is performing poorly and running through it's munitions at an unsustainable rate. Russia has the manpower for attrition but it won't have the armament to do so. China changes that equation.
I'm betting the Chinese equipment is crappier than the Russian equipment. As long as is doesn't come with Chinamen to run the equipment, it probably just creates a target rich environment (assuming they remain stocked with weapons to take out the Chinese equipment).

And yes,

LMCane
Smeghead4761 said:

Very interesting article, strategic level, from Laughing Wolf: https://www.laughingwolf.net/2023/02/17/peace-at-any-price/

Quote:

Therein lies the problem. Outside opinions and even responses do not matter to the large majority of the population of the Russian Federation. At best, such are seen as bigotry and an attack. At worst, they were not even a consideration. That holds true for the leadership as well. For all intents and purposes, the people of the Russian Federation live in a bubble, and the upper leadership lives in an even more dense and impenetrable bubble.

BLUF: Russia isn't going to stop until they are beat down and unable to continue. And, IMHO, even if the Russians are economically, and possibly literally, starved into saying "Uncle," the best you're going to get is a Versailles type armistice, with the Russians working as hard as they can to subvert it and attack again in a generation or two.

For the Ukraine, this is, obviously, a war of national existence. The Russians, unfortunately, largely view it the same say, that Ukraine is part of the Russkiy Mir, rightfully belonging to Russia.

When both sides view a war as existential, the war won't end until one side is crushed beyond the ability to resist.

Even if Ukraine were to succeed in recapturing Crimea, Donbas, and driving the Russians totally back to the pre-2014 borders, the best they'll get is a cease fire, with Round II coming as soon as Russian feels like they have a chance to win.

for the Ukrainians, even the dire situation you claim is an improvement

because it means they have a few years to purchase advanced Western fighters and bombers, improve their SAM and counter-drone defenses, harden their infrastructure, and draft another few years worth of young men

every day that Ukraine stays free is a day they will get stronger and Russia weaker.
MouthBQ98
AG
China has used intellectual property theft of western technologies and commercial purchases of the same to upgrade a good portion of their front line combat forces with more modern designs. In doing so, the've created a new generation of their own domestic designs that only partly retain any commonality with the older Soviet Era copies they used to buy and make.

This means that their newer gear may not be backwards compatible with Russian ammunition and logistics, while their older second line stuff is probably pretty crappy as well, on par with older Russian equipment.

What China can do is churn out ammunition and infantry equipment in large volume and send it in trains straight to western Russia.
Rossticus
Edit
MouthBQ98
AG
Saber rattling again. Russia loves to remind us they have a large strategic nuclear arsenal. It's a big matter of personal and national pride for them. They can't afford to expand it, even if they want to.
Waffledynamics
AG
DefMon update (ongoing, so no threadreaderapp link yet):

74OA
AG
UPDATE
BELARUS
Not a Bot
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
If they do, I wonder how they'll just it this time
rgag12
AG
Not a Bot said:

Unless Moldova has zero military, I don't see how an operation like that is going to end in success. (For Russia)
ABATTBQ11
AG
They did it to the Czechs in 1968. Moldova had a military, but it is not much. They're much smaller than Ukraine and not nearly as well armed.
AgLA06
AG
rgag12 said:

Not a Bot said:

Unless Moldova has zero military, I don't see how an operation like that is going to end in success. (For Russia)
Essentially no airforce.

Less than 6k men in their army.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_of_the_Republic_of_Moldova

If Russia could land airborne troops and follow with a seaborn invasion force and launch an offensive from Crimea in a pencher movement, Odessa would not be fun.

GAC06
AG
The idea of a seaborne invasion was put to bed by sinking their cruiser I'd think. Now if they had taken Odessa it would seem likely to continue west
First Page Last Page
Page 1011 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.