***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,581,121 Views | 47794 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by OldAg68
Bevo99
How long do you want to ignore this user?

nm, too slow on the reply
Dirt 05
AG
Ukraine has been very successful defending and counterattacking in 1. wooded/forested areas (Kiev defense and daily ambushes) 2. populated regions/towns (Sumy, Kharkiv, Mariupol, Bakhmut) 3. against LNR/DPR forces (Lyman/Kupyansk offensive) 4. Against forward deployed airborne (hostomel).

In relatively open terrain vs. Russian forces it's been a different matter. As incompetent as they are and or have been portrayed the Bear still has thousands of tanks, AFVs, Attack Helos, pkms, rpgs, and most important artillery. And that artillery can blunt any offensive of scale.

UAF have been trying to break through to Kherson since June in open country. Snihurivka to Kherson is a 45 minute drive, Davydiv Brid is an hour to Nova Kakhova. They haven't closed it for lack of trying.

RE #4 - how many failed major airborne operations will it take before military planners assess that those resources are better spent elsewhere, or at least eliminate the grand take & hold and wait for the Calvary to show up operations?
AgLA06
AG
I get what you're saying, but the threat of and the resources needed to defend against and then counter once deployed are exponentially more than if they were just another infantry division.

They get chewed up, ground into hamburger, and surrounded. But between the confusion they caused and the resources (reserves) they tied up in Normandy and Bastone those battles most likely have gone the other way. Reinforcements of Panzer divisions driving on the beach landings and entire panzer divisions forced to besiege Bastogne are the only reasons Eisenhower didn't have to resign.

No different than Rudder's Rangers.

The threat of an amphibious landing or airborne landing or both on Crimea as a serious threat is something the Russians have to defend against. And probably one reason they continue to try and sold Sevastopol despite losing flag ships.
Jetpilot86
AG
fullback44 said:

Jetpilot86 said:

CNBC is reporting this morning that Russia will let grain move and Ukraine will not attack ships in the Black Sea corridor.

Why would Ukraine agree to that ? Those Black Sea ships are shooting missiles at Ukraine cities correct ?
My question is what is the Black Sea Corridor, exactly?

Then, how long before you see Russia shooting missiles out of " protected waters"?
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

My assumption is that refers to the shipping lanes outside of any territorial waters?
Jetpilot86
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

My assumption is that refers to the shipping lanes outside of any territorial waters?
There are two things I am certain of, the Russians will outright violate it, and the Ukrainians will find a creative way to not violate it but still sink Russian ships.
74OA
AG
Today's SITREP.
AgBQ-00
AG
If the Russians keep launching missiles from and targeting civilian infrastructure, then those ships remain fair game.
74OA
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

It refers to the narrow safe-shipping route the UN created for grain exports transiting the Black Sea. Offensive naval action cannot originate from within it. It was off-limits for that since its inception. Russian face-saving.

RESTART
fullback44
AG
I watched the military channel last night.. they had a 10 min section on the HIMARS system .. HO LEE CHIT, that is one lethal weapon, no wonder Ukraine is kicking Russia's ass.. there are various HIMARS missiles, however the AIRBURST missile is deadly, it destroys everything in a 200 yard radius.. extremely deadly weapon.. we need to give Ukraine some of the longer range missiles, they could reach the Amo supply dumps deeper into Russia.

Also watched a special on the VAMPIRE system... very deadly, basically takes shorter range Apache helicopter missiles and adds a guidance system that makes them deadly accurate. The system makes the missile a guided missile that can take out ground targets and / or drones.. in expensive weapon that can do a lot of damage... and cheaper than the Javelins
aggiehawg
AG
Thank you for that clarification. Must have missed that action by the UN, because it is the UN and they seldom take any real action, I guess.
74OA
AG
These are some seriously gutsy small-boys. Extremely risky ops despite the roll-back of the Russian navy.

BOATS
LMCane
fullback44 said:

I watched the military channel last night.. they had a 10 min section on the HIMARS system .. HO LEE CHIT, that is one lethal weapon, no wonder Ukraine is kicking Russia's ass.. there are various HIMARS missiles, however the AIRBURST missile is deadly, it destroys everything in a 200 yard radius.. extremely deadly weapon.. we need to give Ukraine some of the longer range missiles, they could reach the Amo supply dumps deeper into Russia.

Also watched a special on the VAMPIRE system... very deadly, basically takes shorter range Apache helicopter missiles and adds a guidance system that makes them deadly accurate. The system makes the missile a guided missile that can take out ground targets and / or drones.. in expensive weapon that can do a lot of damage... and cheaper than the Javelins
I have been pleasantly surprised by the effectiveness of NASAMS and IRIS-T

at least from the media reports unless the Ukes are just lying about their shootdown rate
LMCane
MouthBQ98 said:

I believe the idea is to give the poorly trained conscript forces some static defenses to rally around psychologically. Something to encourage them to hunker down instead of drop everything and run.
even uneducated Russkies are going to pretty quickly figure out that sitting inside one of those death trap fake bunkers is a good way to never make it back to Moscow

if anything this may cause even more insubordination of Russian forces refusing to remain in fixed and easy targets for UAV and MLRS/HIMARS
74OA
AG
aggiehawg said:

Thank you for that clarification. Must have missed that action by the UN, because it is the UN and they seldom take any real action, I guess.
~10M tons shipped so far. BLACK SEA GRAIN INITIATIVE
GAC06
AG
AgLA06 said:

I get what you're saying, but the threat of and the resources needed to defend against and then counter once deployed are exponentially more than if they were just another infantry division.

They get chewed up, ground into hamburger, and surrounded. But between the confusion they caused and the resources (reserves) they tied up in Normandy and Bastone those battles most likely have gone the other way. Reinforcements of Panzer divisions driving on the beach landings and entire panzer divisions forced to besiege Bastone are the only reasons Isenhower didn't have to resign.

No different than Rudder's Rangers.

The threat of an amphibious landing or airborne landing or both on Crimea as a serious threat is something the Russians have to defend against. And probably one reason they continue to try and sold Sevastopol despite losing flag ships.

They didn't jump into Bastogne, they were just available. It could have been any unit, airborne was a coincidence
74OA
AG
More asymmetrical warfare by Russia. RAZOR WIRE
AgLA06
AG
Sure.

But the reason they were used is they were trained to fight in the scenario that unfolded.

I imagine that's why Russia tried the same thing with their airborne troops at Izyum that were just about wiped out. Except they weren't no Battling *******s of Bastogne.
Rossticus
Germany gonna Germany

Rossticus
Turkey is, at least presently, more reliable than Germany

74OA
AG
Rossticus said:

Germany gonna Germany

Erdogan. Pffffftttt.........
Rossticus
Rossticus
74OA said:

Rossticus said:

Germany gonna Germany

Erdogan. Pffffftttt.........

I don't trust any of these guys but at least Turkey seems to be doing something productive at the moment. Germany is just… yeeeeeesh…
Rossticus
Rossticus
74OA
AG
Today's SITREP.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Rossticus said:

Germany gonna Germany

Here is the common "ground" we can agree with Putin on
Ag In Ok
AG
Rossticus said:

Germany gonna Germany

Scholz needs to go after Schroeder and Merkel. Fast.
In America both sides call elections as either tampered or stolen. In Germany, it appears by most measures that a foreign power had placed their mensch in office.

Also, i can't tell if this is true or erdogan enjoying the spotlight and moving up his image.
Rossticus
Is unrelated to Ukraine? Or is?

Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Rossticus said:

Germany gonna Germany

I did nazi that coming
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Rossticus said:

Germany gonna Germany

I know it's popular to crap on France. But the days where France is the biggest coward in Europe are over.

Today's France has far bigger balls than Deutschland
aggiehawg
AG
Rossticus said:

Is unrelated to Ukraine? Or is?

Wow! Drunk Muscovites trying to get home only by their headlights and following the taillights in front of them.

What could go wrong?
First Page Last Page
Page 906 of 1366

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.