***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,583,381 Views | 47797 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by Eliminatus
AgBank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Elon Musk is now a mouthpiece for the Russian government (likely pressed into service). He is silly, but I wouldn't celebrate his death.
AgLA06
AG
Musk is a smart guy on the spectrum. What he says changes with the wind. What he does is all that matters. He's currently for the last 8 months has done more for enabling the command and control of the Ukrainian army than anyone else (including governments). While it being the right thing might have been a subplot, proving and marketing his internet platform as he has was priceless.

While political pundits on both sides are trying to make a lot out of what he says on any particular day, it's really not that difficult to understand he'll pander to both sides and act in the interests of his companies. See hinting he might cut it off and complaining other contractors are getting paid so he can name his price to the Allies.

Him being "a mouth piece" of anyone is just bad news network talking points for people unable to form an opinion.
94chem
I pointed out in a previous post that Republicans will be stepping across the aisle to continue support for Ukraine, regardless of the names their right wing colleagues will be calling them. I then lamented that it would be nice if this bipartisanship could apply to a rational, workable energy policy.

These thoughts would seem to be 100% in-line with the ground rules provided by staff on OP, as energy policy and financial backing are core tenets of any US response to the war.

It appears that my post was removed? If not, then my bad.

[It says on your post why it was removed: "Auto Cleanup" That means that a post you were replying to was removed, and whoever removed that post elected the option to delete all posts replying to the original one that was removed. When a response is removed for getting off topic, "Thread derailing" we almost always leave that box checked, and don't sift through the responses. Sometimes good posts get removed that way, but there are just too many posts to look at each one individually. Don't take in personally if you see your post was removed with the "Auto Cleanup" tag -- Staff]
lb sand
AG
By all accounts, life as a Russian conscript sucked biggly even in peacetime.
Rossticus
In instances of individuals like Oleg Kolkov, I wholeheartedly agree. Chances are he's more representative than not of the "journalists" who were taken out. I leave room for exceptions, though.
94chem
lb sand said:

By all accounts, life as a Russian conscript sucked biggly even in peacetime.
In the 90's, the soldiers were begging at intersections.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
SamjamAg
AG
You don't have to be a combatant to be part of war effort. One thing is voicing your opinion, another is using your communication platform to facilitate a victory for your side - like Tokyo Rose. These are all war tactics.
Rossticus
Waffledynamics
AG
LMCane
AgBank said:

Elon Musk is now a mouthpiece for the Russian government (likely pressed into service). He is silly, but I wouldn't celebrate his death.
big difference between a South African citizen and industrialist in Elon Musk taking a neutral position on peace agreements

and these Russkies working in Kherson Oblast reporting only on Russian propaganda and calling for more attacks against the "Hochols"
LMCane
SamjamAg said:

You don't have to be a combatant to be part of war effort. One thing is voicing your opinion, another is using your communication platform to facilitate a victory for your side - like Tokyo Rose. These are all war tactics.
No one could possibly make the case that the Germans who worked for Der Wehrmachtbericht were not legitimate military targets.

same for these Russian media types on the front lines- they aren't trying to report the news, they are reporting victory propaganda. I'm not saying that we should do everything to kill them, but I'm not going to be sad over their deaths when there are 20,000 actual civilians dead because of the Russians.
AgBank
AG
I tend to be an isolationist wacko. I look at it as an ability to free ride on letting bordering Asia and European countries sort out their backyards.

But if you have to fight (and I think Russia is showing they have to be stopped), proxy is the most efficient. As sad as war is, this war seems to work really well for US national interests.
B-1 83
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Do they have 2000 white flags ready?

Staff - feel free to delete, but it had to be said.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Rossticus
Never said I was sad. Just not dancing on their graves without knowledge of who they were specifically. You should know by now I'm not going to lose any sleep over the loss of some Russian asset that's deliberately advancing the war effort and dehumanizing Ukrainians.
Rossticus
Lol
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Dumba**es

Ulysses90
AG
I concur and you make a very important point about the opportunity to turn a one-side invasion by a bully state into a useful proxy war that neutralizes that bully for everyone. The military aid that has been set to Ukraine is being applied to deflate Russia far more efficiently and far faster than if the same amount had been put into the Pentagon budget.

I used to be on green side in the acquisition business and our entire system of manning, quipping, and training is weighed down by 70 years of process and red tape. The Ukes must do by necessity what the Pentagon and Congress cannot bring themselves to do because it cedes control to the trigger pullers.

The "tooth to tail" ratio of the funding being sent to Ukraine is far better than almost any budget line in the NDAA. Those Javelins and Switchblades sent to Ukraine are going to be expended this year and maybe this month and they are going to hit a target. They aren't going to sit in a ammo dump an be inspected annually and have random lot testing to ensure that the fuzing isn't going bad. Nothing gets expended or consumed faster than ammo and beer that somebody else gifted to you and the Ukes have bad guys in theor crosshairs (call me Russophobic if you like). If the US is going to buy weapons with tax dollars to counter a threat to national and international security and peace, send it to the guy in the fight right now.

In the world of social welfare spending (not that I'm a fan of that) the most effective way that the federal government sends funding to the welfare recipients is in block grants to the state governments. Why? Because it removes the layers of federal bureaucracy that suck up $.30 of each dollar. That's what is happening with equipment and supplies being sent to Ukraine.
Rossticus
This is, I feel, pertinent.

Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
CondensedFogAggie

Posting this less I forget Russia is still deadly and Ukraine needs all the anti drone, anti artillery weapons that they can get.

CondensedFogAggie
Ulysses90 said:

... The military aid that has been set to Ukraine is being applied to deflate Russia far more efficiently and far faster than if the same amount had been put into the Pentagon budget.

...... Nothing gets expended or consumed faster than ammo and beer that somebody else gifted to you and the Ukes have bad guys in theor crosshairs (call me Russophobic if you like). If the US is going to buy weapons with tax dollars to counter a threat to national and international security and peace, send it to the guy in the fight right now.

CondensedFogAggie
Rossticus said:

Dumba**es

Rossticus
May want to edit the photo before you get in trouble for circumventing the obscenity filter. I learned my lesson the hard way.
CondensedFogAggie
AgBank said:

I tend to be an isolationist wacko. I look at it as an ability to free ride on letting bordering Asia and European countries sort out their backyards.

But if you have to fight (and I think Russia is showing they have to be stopped), proxy is the most efficient. As sad as war is, this war seems to work really well for US national interests.
It's also a warning to other modern dictatorships(cough china cough) that if you invade a developed, peaceful country(cough taiwan cough), the entire world will become a logistics arm of the country being invaded. So just don't think about it.
CondensedFogAggie
Rossticus said:

May want to edit the photo before you get in trouble for circumventing the obscenity filter. I learned my lesson the hard way.
Thanks, edited.
CondensedFogAggie
JFABNRGR said:

On the flip side, first vids of UKR destroying a tank with TOW and launching two Hell Fires on reddit. I am assuming the Hell Fires are laser guided by somebody on the ground or drone?

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/y93c9g/first_video_of_2_ukrainian_hellfire_missiles/

Sorry couldn't resist

Rossticus
CondensedFogAggie
P.U.T.U
AG
I do think the current drones Russia is using will do a lot more harm than their past aircraft have, especially with Ukraine pushing them to store them in Russia and Crimea
Rossticus

First Page Last Page
Page 882 of 1366

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.