***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,584,570 Views | 47797 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Eliminatus
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Astonished that this made it out of Russia.

LMCane
Rossticus said:

so does Putin now threaten the Iranians to give back the S-400 systems

that Russia provided to Iran last year?
GAC06
AG
Rossticus said:

When they've used a significant number of S-300's as ground attack missiles, it kind of makes sense to backfill with their gucci stuff out of necessity.
txags92
AG
LMCane said:

Rossticus said:

Threaten them with what? They are a paper tiger begging Iran to sell them missiles so they can avoid getting routed by Ukraine. Iran isn't going to feel threatened by Russia.
Ellis Wyatt
txags92 said:

Ellis Wyatt said:

twk said:

Private PoopyPants said:

Really stupid assertion there by Musk. The Russians had a lease on Sebastopol in Ukraine just like the US does on Guantanamo Bay in Cuba. No one challenged that. Putin wanted the entire Crimean peninsula in order to control the coast and limit Ukraine's access to the Black Sea. There was no legitimate military reason why Russia needed to seize Crimea. NONE.
I don't think it's stupid. It underscores that it is far more complicated than "that's part of Ukraine" or "those are Russian people."

If Texas were to secede from the U.S., it would be equally complicated. "Texas is America." "Those are Americans." "Texans aren't really Americans." People here would have different views and people in D.C. would have different views on the matter.
If the people in Crimea had held a free and fair vote to secede and join Russia, and then Russia moved in to help them back up their independence, it would be different. But that wasn't what happened. Russia staged an independence movement, invaded to "protect" it, ran off anybody who wasn't pro-Russian and imported Russians to replace them, then held a totally rigged vote to secede and join Russia. I don't think anybody really knows what the Crimeans wanted, and it will be a long time before we are in a position to find out.
I am not saying Russia's viewpoint is valid, just that there are differing viewpoints. It isn't black and white.
Rossticus
P.U.T.U
AG
LMCane said:

Rossticus said:

Why? Iran has been pushing their Bevar 373 that they say is better than the S400 and Patriot missile systems. I am doubtful of this but Iran started with the S300 and S400 designs and "improved it". They claim it can take down F22 and F35s but once again I am doubtful.
AgLA06
AG
Ellis Wyatt said:

txags92 said:

Ellis Wyatt said:

twk said:

Private PoopyPants said:

Really stupid assertion there by Musk. The Russians had a lease on Sebastopol in Ukraine just like the US does on Guantanamo Bay in Cuba. No one challenged that. Putin wanted the entire Crimean peninsula in order to control the coast and limit Ukraine's access to the Black Sea. There was no legitimate military reason why Russia needed to seize Crimea. NONE.
I don't think it's stupid. It underscores that it is far more complicated than "that's part of Ukraine" or "those are Russian people."

If Texas were to secede from the U.S., it would be equally complicated. "Texas is America." "Those are Americans." "Texans aren't really Americans." People here would have different views and people in D.C. would have different views on the matter.
If the people in Crimea had held a free and fair vote to secede and join Russia, and then Russia moved in to help them back up their independence, it would be different. But that wasn't what happened. Russia staged an independence movement, invaded to "protect" it, ran off anybody who wasn't pro-Russian and imported Russians to replace them, then held a totally rigged vote to secede and join Russia. I don't think anybody really knows what the Crimeans wanted, and it will be a long time before we are in a position to find out.
I am not saying Russia's viewpoint is valid, just that there are differing viewpoints. It isn't black and white.
Sure it is. It's only not black and white when "gee golly that's a tough thing there that seems complicated" people show up.

When a country has to invade a geological place to claim it as theirs, it's because it's not theirs. Pretty black and white.
AgBank
AG
It's more complicated than just a vote as well. Russia's (Soviet et. al) genocide of the Cossack and Tartars and any opposition within Ukraine dates back to Catherine the Great.
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Iran starting to provide arms is a massive escalation, they have copied several Russian weapon systems over the years and have been providing them to their proxies like Hezbollah over the past few decades. Iran pulls the strings, they can shift their supply from the middle east to Russia which gives them tens of thousands of artillery and missiles.

Iran also has a military program more similar to the US than Russia as the US CIA trained them in the 80s during the Iran/Iraq war (yes we trained and armed both sides). They do have NCOs and after seeing Russia's capabilities I think Iran may actually be more of a threat.

Russia and Iran also have zero respect for their enemies civilians. We have already seen the use of drones to go after civilian targets and I wouldn't be surprised if Iran started using proxies as suicide bombers/attackers. If I was Iran I would convince Russia to do what they did in Iraq in 2003-2006, IEDs, EFPs, suicide bombers, take out military recruiting stations, etc. which would make this nasty war even worse.

Every day it seems like we are a step closer to WW3
Iran is a sticky addition to this. It brings Israel into the fray, which may make them feel like they have an opportunity to have free reign to strike inside Iran, but Iran has a pretty close relationship and multiple treaties with China. Definitely don't want to strike that match.
Rossticus
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Rossticus said:

Astonished that this made it out of Russia.

Translation? I only understand Russian when it's in a bad Bond accent.
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus

74OA
AG
Nice overview of Russia's demographic implosion. Putin remains a master strategist.

"Besides casualties in the thousands on the battlefield, the enlistment of 300,000 reservists to join the fight -- and an even bigger flight of men abroad -- is derailing Putin's goals of starting to stabilize the population already this year. Crippling disruptions from the war are converging with a population crisis rooted in the 1990s, a period of economic hardship after the Soviet breakup that sent fertility rates plunging. Independent demographer Alexei Raksha is calling it "a perfect storm."

SELF-INFLICTED
DECLINE
P.U.T.U
AG
Rossticus said:

This is why this is a huge proxy war now, we have had advisors on the ground since before the war. There were retired special operation Americans over there at the beginning of the war and they said the CIA was there as well training the Ukes. You don't have foreign weapon systems without the supplying company on the ground to assist/train.
Rossticus
P.U.T.U
AG
74OA said:

Nice overview of Russia's demographic implosion. Putin remains a master strategist.

"Besides casualties in the thousands on the battlefield, the enlistment of 300,000 reservists to join the fight -- and an even bigger flight of men abroad -- is derailing Putin's goals of starting to stabilize the population already this year. Crippling disruptions from the war are converging with a population crisis rooted in the 1990s, a period of economic hardship after the Soviet breakup that sent fertility rates plunging. Independent demographer Alexei Raksha is calling it "a perfect storm."

SELF-INFLICTED
DECLINE

Russia is also doing all they can to commit genocide, the only part of the population that is growing is the Muslims and they have been purging them every chance they get. When Russia annexed Crimea the Muslims made up 15% of the population, that number is closer to 3% now.

This whole war is about Putin's vision of Novorossiya, in the end instead of making Russia great again he may do just the opposite for a few generations
74OA
AG
New Russian commander applying terror tactics honed against Syrian rebels.

SUROVIKIN
GAC06
AG
AMRAAM and harpoon for what? Just taking advantage of the purse strings being open?
Gordo14
Rossticus said:

That's good. McCarthy's stance on Ukraine makes me nervous. Aid for Ukraine shouldn't be some political tool. It's black and white as to what supports American interests and what is the moral and ethical course of action.
Rossticus
GAC06 said:

AMRAAM and harpoon for what? Just taking advantage of the purse strings being open?

Probably
Rossticus

Rossticus
Rossticus

74OA
AG
GAC06 said:

Numbers are crazy, but AMRAAM reloads for NASAMS and Harpoon reloads for existing shore launchers.
FriscoKid
AG

(As a side note "Election Wizard" follows all of the Russian accounts. I can understand why his perspective is a little skewed.)
Rossticus
In summary: "Russia wants Ukraine to be its *****, and the Ukrainian people want to be our *****, but evil Ukrainian government and West prevent Ukrainian peoples' desired utopia of being Russia's *****. Russia is kind, caring, altruistic, and principled. Ukraine and west are evil, callous, war criminals."

First Page Last Page
Page 869 of 1366

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.