***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,586,146 Views | 47806 Replies | Last: 33 min ago by Eliminatus
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
PA24
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

The images/videos of equipment with the "triangle 2" markings on them rolling through on rail pretty much convinced me Belarus is actually going to get involved this go around.
Northern front, bout to really get bloody.
Waffledynamics
AG
Ulysses90
AG
Rossticus said:

I am not an expert but I believe he's correct. From what I recall, HIMARS firing a pod of rockets orients the pod to fire off the side i.e. perpendicular to the direction that the cab of the truck is pointed. ATACMS fires directly over the cab. Someone with personal experience may correct me.
JB!98
AG
Waffledynamics said:

The Russian Dirty Dozen's! Hope they either revolt or get chopped to pieces.
Rossticus
twk
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

The images/videos of equipment with the "triangle 2" markings on them rolling through on rail pretty much convinced me Belarus is actually going to get involved this go around.
Not sure if they will actively participate or just let the Russians use their territory to launch an invasion, as they did in February. This is what they would do if Russia decided to invade the Baltic States or Poland
Rossticus

Rossticus
PA24
AG
Coward Girkin
Rossticus
lb3
AG
This war has convinced me that college age girls in Tehran have more courage than most Russian men.
Rossticus
By far.
Smeghead4761
Ulysses90 said:

Rossticus said:

I am not an expert but I believe he's correct. From what I recall, HIMARS firing a pod of rockets orients the pod to fire off the side i.e. perpendicular to the direction that the cab of the truck is pointed. ATACMS fires directly over the cab. Someone with personal experience may correct me.
The launcher itself looks like an MLRS. I don't think the U.S. has sent any of those, but Germany has sent some MARS-IIs, which is a German upgrade to the MLRS.

In addition to firing over the cab, the launcher box also looks to be much closer to vertical than the normal launch angle for standard rockets.
Who?mikejones!
Rossticus
Rossticus
Ulysses90
AG
The ATACMS missile also launches at an offset to the direction of the target. After it launches it makes a sharp turn toward the target and accelerates and climbs. This makes it more difficult for the enemy to get a counterbattery fix on the launcher location because a simple regression would generate a firing solution that it a long way from where the launcher was actually located.
Rossticus
Thread (reminder that Rybar is a Russian source):

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1581802911482667010.html

Rossticus
Demosthenes81
AG
Ulysses90 said:

The ATACMS missile also launches at an offset to the direction of the target. After it launches it makes a sharp turn toward the target and accelerates and climbs. This makes it more difficult for the enemy to get a counterbattery fix on the launcher location because a simple regression would generate a firing solution that it a long way from where the launcher was actually located.

I wonder what nameless schmoe came up with that idea. It is so elegant you know it didn't come from an officer or senior manager.
GAC06
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

aggiehawg said:

MiG 29s were late 70s early 80s design, correct? Weren't they replaced about 20 years ago?

They are Russia's rough equivalent to our F15 although the avionics and other tech is not close. The engine performance and maneuverability are quite good. If they are pulling them out of storage then odds are they are not coming with anything modernized.

It is also the primary fighter/attack jet Ukraine is using in the war. The Ukrainian MiG-29 has been upgraded to fire NATO weapons, including the HARM anti-SAM missile.

One of the big eye-openers in this war is the lack of performance from the Russian Air Force. They don't seem to be able to fly with significant altitude and accurately target the ground at the same time. The lack of smart munitions and targeting pods has played a big role in how many have been shot down by manpads.

No, MiG-29 was the response to the F-16. Short range, daytime interceptors as designed. The Su-27 was the rough equivalent to the F-15.
Rossticus
Rossticus
LMAO

Rossticus

Not a Bot
AG
That is right. For some reason I've always had it in my head that the MiG-29 was capable of ground attack but was designed more for the air to air with the Su-27 more of the multirole design. I had it backwards. My 7th grade self would be very disappointed with me right now.
JB!98
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

That is right. For some reason I've always had it in my head that the MiG-29 was capable of ground attack but was designed more for the air to air with the Su-27 more of the multirole design. I had it backwards. My 7th grade self would be very disappointed with me right now.

The 29 has evolved into a multi-role platform more along the lines of the F-18 over the years. It was never intended to be the equivalent of the F-15. The lineage as GAC06 stated started the same way the F-16 started. Day fighter with very short legs.
Not a Bot
AG
Rossticus
Rossticus
AlaskanAg99
AG
They're about to cancel Christmas.

No presents for anyone. Just food, tampons, maxi pads for all their fighting men.
Rossticus
aggiehawg
AG
The Mixing Bowl versus the Melting Pot as we were taught in grade school.

If members of their own Federation are considered "foreigners" to ethnic Russians, then there are not enough of them to hold on forever. He makes a good point.
Waffledynamics
AG
aggiehawg said:

The Mixing Bowl versus the Melting Pot as we were taught in grade school.

If members of their own Federation are considered "foreigners" to ethnic Russians, then there are not enough of them to hold on forever. He makes a good point.
It also means that these groups probably should not be under the umbrella of the Russian Federation, which is a point that can and will continue to create fissures in the RF. This undoubtedly translates to the battlefield as these disparate groups enter the conflict.
Rossticus
More museum pieces in the wild.

First Page Last Page
Page 863 of 1367

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.