***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,586,176 Views | 47806 Replies | Last: 41 min ago by Eliminatus
92AG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TheGroupGuy said:

92AG10 said:

TheGroupGuy said:

Iran sending missles. Israel ramping aid. Nuclear exercises underway by NATO and Russia. This is rapidly escalating next I expect Russia to take out Starlink satellites

Uh, with what?

Chinese anti satellite weapons we just declared war on their economy with chip denial https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Chinese_anti-satellite_missile_test

You do realize that is not going to eliminate Starlink capabilities, right?

Also, blowing up stuff in satellite orbit would negatively impact a multitude of nations, including Russia.

The Russian threat is on par with the US Star Wars program of the 1980s. Might be possible, might be real….might not be either.
74OA
AG
aggiehawg said:

This is probably a dumb question but noticed the Russian pilots always bank right after firing their missiles. Is there a legit reason for that, or just the way they are trained? Seems to me that would be a disadvantage to them in an actual dogfight as the opposing pilot could anticipate that move?
Most pilots are right-handed and physically predisposed to break left. Military pilots are warned about that and cautioned not to become predictable. What the Russians are doing I have no idea.
sclaff
AG
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Most pilots are right-handed and physically predisposed to break left. Military pilots are warned about that and cautioned not to become predictable. What the Russians are doing I have no idea.
Thanks for that explanation. So what is cautionary in American pilots becomes doctrinaire in Russia? Sounds about right.

To quote the late great Fred Thompson, "The Rusklies don't take a dump without a plan, son."
sclaff
AG
Ag In Ok
AG
Would an EMP over Kiev sufficiently cut off communications with Ukraine that a push from the north and counter in the south would work? Putin could waves his arms saying no civilians died from the blast. And restart their hunt to assassinate Zelinksy.
sclaff
AG
TheGroupGuy
92AG10 said:

TheGroupGuy said:

92AG10 said:

TheGroupGuy said:

Iran sending missles. Israel ramping aid. Nuclear exercises underway by NATO and Russia. This is rapidly escalating next I expect Russia to take out Starlink satellites

Uh, with what?

Chinese anti satellite weapons we just declared war on their economy with chip denial https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Chinese_anti-satellite_missile_test

Also, blowing up stuff in satellite orbit would negatively impact a multitude of nations, including Russia.

The Russian threat is on par with the US Star Wars program of the 1980s. Might be possible, might be real….might not be either.

Russia has no commmunications. I really don't think Putin cares about space junk in low orbit. Start your own thread to debate if you want remember you didn't think they had anti Sat capability when chiming in communication is a tactical and strategic capability plus part of what Elons referencing is no doubt fighting hackers https://www.wired.com/story/starlink-internet-dish-hack/amp
92AG10
AG
TheGroupGuy said:

92AG10 said:

TheGroupGuy said:

92AG10 said:

TheGroupGuy said:

Uh, with what?

Russia has no commmunications. I really don't think Putin cares about space junk in low orbit. Start your own thread to debate if you want remember you didn't think they had anti Sat capability when chiming in communication is a tactical and strategic capability

Actually, that's not even remotely close to what I said. To keep this aligned to the tactical discussion at hand, Russia absolutely and unequivocally has comms and GPS satellite systems in orbit that they rely on and aren't going to risk losing.
TheGroupGuy
They don't have working communication on battlefield
GAC06
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Thanks for that explanation. So what is cautionary in American pilots becomes doctrinaire in Russia? Sounds about right.

To quote the late great Fred Thompson, "The Rusklies don't take a dump without a plan, son."

I wouldn't read too much into the direction they turn. The main takeaway from those videos is that their ground attack aircraft have been rendered largely ineffective by the threat of MANPADS. Lofting rockets is pretty much spray and pray. And I say ground attack instead of close air support because even in the best of times I don't think they had the capability to do what we call close air support.
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks for the clarification.
92AG10
AG
TheGroupGuy said:

They don't have working communication on battlefield

That doesn't mean Russia doesn't have communications capabilities or satellites. The current Russian military problem has more to do with lack of equipment, training and standard operating procedures. For the past few decades, the Russian Armed Forces haven't had to use encrypted or spaced based comms platforms because they have been focused on third-world adversaries. Now isn't the best time to figure out your shortfalls.
JFABNRGR
AG
Crop Circles by extra terrestian orcs.

Track blown off most of crew dead or about to be while engine continues to run.

“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Rossticus

Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
aggiehawg
AG
MiG 29s were late 70s early 80s design, correct? Weren't they replaced about 20 years ago?
Rossticus

Rossticus
aggiehawg said:

MiG 29s were late 70s early 80s design, correct? Weren't they replaced about 20 years ago?

There are newer models but I wouldn't say they've been "replaced". Still very much in use and modern variants remain in production. Russia just began stationing a bunch of MiG 31s in Belarus as well. 31s are roughly the same vintage.
Who?mikejones!
I'm gonna bet putin told lukashenko he can have some of Ukraine if he joins the war
aggiehawg
AG
Rossticus said:

aggiehawg said:

There are newer models but I wouldn't say they've been "replaced". Still very much in use. Russia just began stationing a bunch of MiG 31s in Belarus. 31s are roughly the same vintage.
Oh. Thought the Russians had tended more towards the SUs than continuing MiG designs since the early aughts.

Thanks.
Rossticus
Agthatbuilds said:

I'm gonna bet putin told lukashenko he can have some of Ukraine if he joins the war

That's IF Luka were to survive. Odds of internal revolt and rebellion of military would skyrocket if he actively joined the invasion. I would NOT want to be one of the Russian soldiers stationed in Belarus amongst their soldiery if that happened.
Rossticus
aggiehawg said:

Rossticus said:

aggiehawg said:

There are newer models but I wouldn't say they've been "replaced". Still very much in use. Russia just began stationing a bunch of MiG 31s in Belarus. 31s are roughly the same vintage.
Oh. Thought the Russians had tended more towards the SUs than continuing MiG designs since the early aughts.

Thanks.

They very well may be utilizing SUs in higher numbers. They just haven't discontinued the MiGs.
Rossticus
Rossticus
JB!98
AG
Rossticus said:

You have to hand it to the UKES, they are doing a great job of integrating a lot of dissimilar weapon systems and making them effective. If these are HAWK AD weapons aren't they old hand me downs from the US?
Rossticus
Rossticus
JB!98 said:

Rossticus said:

You have to hand it to the UKES, they are doing a great job of integrating a lot of dissimilar weapon systems and making them effective. If these are HAWK AD weapons aren't they old hand me downs from the US?

Could be but there were also European produced variants for NATO countries as well. I'd ASSUME that these are the 90's version I-Hawk variant but can't be certain.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIM-23_Hawk
Not a Bot
AG
aggiehawg said:

They are Russia's rough equivalent to our F15 although the avionics and other tech is not close. The engine performance and maneuverability are quite good. If they are pulling them out of storage then odds are they are not coming with anything modernized.

It is also the primary fighter/attack jet Ukraine is using in the war. The Ukrainian MiG-29 has been upgraded to fire NATO weapons, including the HARM anti-SAM missile.

One of the big eye-openers in this war is the lack of performance from the Russian Air Force. They don't seem to be able to fly with significant altitude and accurately target the ground at the same time. The lack of smart munitions and targeting pods has played a big role in how many have been shot down by manpads.
Rossticus
Rossticus
Not a Bot
AG
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
The images/videos of equipment with the "triangle 2" markings on them rolling through on rail pretty much convinced me Belarus is actually going to get involved this go around.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
First Page Last Page
Page 862 of 1367

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.