***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,589,557 Views | 47813 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by 74OA
agent-maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Several crane barges on route to the bridge.
Worth a Neptune or two?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rossticus
fullback44
AG
Rossticus said:

This is a great post, I would have never known this, crazy how long some of these fueds have been going on.. many many years, even with all the modern technologies around the globe some things never change
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Waffledynamics said:

This is a Russia milblogger's update from yesterday. It is interesting because he gives some context for why the recent strike in Dzankhoi is so important.

For those of you who go to google maps every time people talk about cities in Ukraine. Saved you the trouble and circled Dzankhoi to further augment this post.

Waffledynamics
AG

CLIFF NOTES:

At the beginning, Denys discusses the rocket attacks today but says that they were pretty much all shot down due to being fired in small groups, unlike the massive barrage that took place a couple of days ago. Later in the video, he says that out of the 28 rockets launched, 20 were shot down. Most of the Iranian kamikaze drones that Russia used were shot down.

At 0:22, he shows that there isn't much movement at all on the Luhansk front in the Northeast, probably because both sides are regrouping and preparing for the next assault.

At 1:28, Denys gives a bit of an update in the Bakhmut area. Ukraine is still holding the city and has Russia at a standstill. I'm not comfortable with how much progress Russia's made here, but it's not the first time they've been so close to the city if you go back far enough on . They also take a lot of losses trying to attack the city.

At 1:58, Denys says that while the fighting in the Kherson area continues, it's at a standstill at the moment as far as land goes.

At 2:23, Denys discusses the Belarus front. They have concentrated approximately 6 BTGs along the border with Ukraine, and Russia has sent around 15,000 mobilized soldiers (aka mobiks). Meanwhile, Belarus still sends equipment and vehicles to Russia. Zelensky asked the G7 for a peacekeeping operation along the border with Belarus. I doubt that will happen.

At 4:31, we get to find out about a prisoner exchange. Glad to see that happened.

At 6:30, he says that Ukraine has half day blackouts due to damage to the power infrastructure.

At 8:42, we get to see an IRIS-T system that was delivered to Ukraine.

At 9:21, Denys shows a map of missile strikes. Lviv (where I have friends from and acquaintances in) has been suffering from power failures because of these strikes. Russia hit power plants. More air defense systems are badly needed to combat rockets.

Slava Ukraini and **** Russia.
Waffledynamics
AG
D'oh! I should have screenshotted a map. Not sure why I didn't. Thanks for catching it and contributing.
Waffledynamics
AG
New Speak the Truth video too!

Good lord. The testimonies from two Russian POWs at about 10:35 is just ridiculous. These men were given 3 magazines and a couple positions to fire from, and that was their training.
Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG
agent-maroon
AG
Zelensky better be careful about an assassination attempt. They WILL attempt this if they could ever pin down his time/location and it won't matter where in the world he happened to be located.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Not a Bot
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

They may not be wrong.
Waffledynamics
AG
Ukraine needs to harden its power infrastructure if at all possible. I'd be surprised if this was not already being done. Apparently, Russia's missile strikes on power plants lately has been devastating. What sorts of protections would Ukraine seek for this, aside from anti-missile defense systems?
Who?mikejones!

There is no negotiating. Putin wants it all, just as he has the entire time.

But, this war is about resources; not nato, nazis, western culture, "traditional" Russian land.
agent-maroon
AG
Air defense and anti-missile systems are about all you have. Utility plants are vulnerable because of their design. They are built in peacetime when it would be prohibitively expensive to harden during initial construction and even more expensive to retrofit.
Teslag
AG
Yep. And even their nuke plants don't have concrete containment structures.
FamousAgg
Waffledynamics said:

Ukraine needs to harden its power infrastructure if at all possible. I'd be surprised if this was not already being done. Apparently, Russia's missile strikes on power plants lately has been devastating. What sorts of protections would Ukraine seek for this, aside from anti-missile defense systems?

Best bet would be a More distributed grid. Placing generators in villages and neighborhoods and letting each run independently. It's impractical to guard/protect each power plant, substation, transmission line and distribution line. The grim reality is that if Russia wants to cripple the broader grid, they certainly can do it. If their missiles are on target and not shot down that is.

It would be far to expensive to build any sort of protection around pants or take power lines underground across the whole country.
agent-maroon
AG
Wouldn't be surprised to see big diesel generators showing up on the donated equipment. They show up fairly often on gov surplus sales. They could be protected and distributed like the previous poster suggested. Side benefit of a lot of waste heat generation that could be used to heat public shelters when it gets really cold this winter. They just need a lot of diesel that could be used for military equipment.
Zobel
AG
Another option would be trailer mount gas turbines. You see these show up a lot in hurricane hit areas for extended tours. With a trailer mount unit you can get around 30 MW up and running in less than two weeks. The challenge with something like that would be getting them fuel.
Rossticus
Rossticus
Wellll, Musk is now a liability.

Rossticus
Waffledynamics
AG
Rossticus said:

In hindsight, Musk should have been a predictable weak point. Whatever the Russians said to him, the West needs to respond even stronger.
lb3
AG
I've posted a similar overlay but this helps me get oriented.

Lviv ~ El Paso
Kyiv ~ West of Abilene
Kherson ~ Uvalde
Donetsk ~ Spring
Mariupol ~ Freeport
Kharkiv ~ Waco
Sevastopol ~ McAllen
Luhansk ~ Woodville/Big Thicket
Odesa ~ Opposite Del Rio
Moscow ~ Wichita Kansas
Belgorod ~ Plano
agent-maroon
AG
Rossticus said:

More like "Musk believes that honoring this request would result in the rooskies retaliating by taking out a couple of his very expensive satellites."

Musk is obviously taking whatever threat they made seriously.
Rossticus
The problem becomes, what are Musks limits if pressed by Russia? Would he disclose data to Russia or limit Ukraine's usage of Starlink in order to cover his ass? Will he get people killed if he deems it to be in his best financial interests?

The fact that he was receptive to Putin in the first place, combined with his sudden crawfishing, makes me incredibly leery of his trustworthiness moving forward.
FriscoKid
AG
Rossticus said:

The problem becomes, what are Musks limits if pressed by Russia? Would he disclose data to Russia or limit Ukraine's usage of Starlink in order to cover his ass? Will he get people killed if he deems it to be in his best financial interests?

He gave them an internet connection. If Ukraine is beating Russia because of an internet connection then this world is screwed.
FriscoKid
AG
Rossticus said:

The fact that he was receptive to Putin in the first place, combined with his sudden crawfishing, makes me incredibly leery of his trustworthiness moving forward.

He's a private citizen.
Rossticus
FriscoKid said:

Rossticus said:

He gave them an internet connection. If Ukraine is beating Russia because of an internet connection then this world is screwed.

If it weren't for the fact that the Ukrainian military was using it for comms I'd agree. Comms are huge and have been a significant advantage in favor the Ukrainians. If they lose that advantage without a reasonably comparable replacement solution then that'll be of tremendous benefit to Russia.
Eliminatus
AG
Rossticus said:

The problem is relying too much on one man and one man alone. Elon Musk is a smart dude but he is still an individual with his own individual thoughts. That is first and foremost. He is not beholden to any state entity or body of people. Period. As much as I disagree with him, I am not going to hate him for it. He is not Tony Stark and never has been. It is our fault for ever allowing ourselves to think he was. It is just another problem to be surmounted, 'tis all.

This is still a tactical situation and bad on the Ukes if they have not been using this time to shore up their own communications hubs, equipment, and protocols. It won't be as efficient or reliable in all likelihood but nations have gone to war without Starlink. Ukraine still can if they start preparing yesterday for that eventuality. (If they have not already which is a big assumption). I also don't see the lack of Starlink stopping the Ukes from Crimea if that is indeed the final plan. So the scenario is probably moot anyways as I imagine the Ukes will do just that.

Bird Poo
AG
Rossticus said:

He's the #1 reason why Ukraine has turned the tide in this war. Calling him a liability is absurd. Hell, a few months ago you would have called him a Russian agent the way you railed on anyone thinking objectively.

Do you think Putin will start launching nukes if they go after Crimea? It sure looks that way to me and Putin has nothing to lose. Musk's only fault here is that he believes what Putin says he will do.
Ags4DaWin
Rossticus said:

FriscoKid said:

Rossticus said:

If it weren't for the fact that the Ukrainian military was using it for comms I'd agree. Comms are huge and have been a significant advantage in favor the Ukrainians. If they lose that advantage without a reasonably comparable replacement solution then that'll be of tremendous benefit to Russia.

If they haven't been working on a replacement or supplement to the gift Musk gave them then they seriously misspent the 15 billion we gave them.

A huge tactical mistake.
Gordo14
Ags4DaWin said:

Rossticus said:

FriscoKid said:

Rossticus said:

If they haven't been working on a replacement or supplement to the gift Musk gave them then they seriously misspent the 15 billion we gave them.

A huge tactical mistake.

It's pretty clearly not that simple, but yeah go ahead and act like they've wasted the money and supplies we've given them as they not only stopped the advance of the Russian army, but have taken back ~half of the occupied territory so far. Not bad for an army that was outmanned and outgunned. A lot of what Ukraine has recieved is equipment and not money, and interestingly enough it's hard to build entire new sets of infrastructure when your existing infrastructure is being actively blown up... IN 6 MONTHS. Besides, how much money should it cost to stop the Russian army and keep the country from collapse and build this new infrastructure?

I think people overestimate the value of starlink, but it has enough value that Elon alone should not get to decide how to limit their access - this is a national security issue. I also think it's ridiculous that everybody has to mention how smart Elon Musk is even when they are talking about how dumb something he did was. Either Elon Musk has become a Russian asset (only people who parrot Russian propoganda would ever call Crimea "Krushev's mistake") or he's a useful idiot. At the end of the day, his need to insert himself into the middle and declare himself as an arbiter of this conflict when he's clearly not capable or qualified is a problem. And it's a problem nobody should excuse or defend.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Operation command South confirmed liberation of Novovasylivka, Novohryhorivka, Nova Kamianka, Tryfonivka and Chervone in Beryslav district of Kherson region

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/12-october-operation-command-south-confirmed-liberation-of

Securing that new line in the Kherson region.
First Page Last Page
Page 846 of 1367

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.