***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,591,128 Views | 47821 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Tanker123
Robk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
agent-maroon
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I'm not a physicist, nor am I intelligent in any way on any subject. How would a truck bomb on the surface cause that kind of uplift?
It wouldn't, not that I can imagine anyway.
A sinusoidal shock wave moving through the bridge would have both upwards and downwards movement.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Who?mikejones!
Private PoopyPants said:

I'm not a physicist, nor am I intelligent in any way on any subject. How would a truck bomb on the surface cause that kind of uplift?

My money is definitely on an attack from the sea.

On the video looking down the bridge, the explosion looks to be centered slightly off the bridges right side(from video view)
Robk
More coming from Ukrainian diplomats

docb
AG
No way that's from that truck
twk
AG
Robk said:

Waffledynamics said:

A little better video of the explosion. This was posted earlier but as a video of someone else watching the video.

Something else somebody noted. At 17 seconds it looks like there is debris flying from the outside of the bridge
At the 25 second mark, on the shot from below, you can see a wake in the water below the span on the right just before the explosion. So, it seems that the delivery platform for this weapon was water borne.
GAC06
AG
There was a stiff breeze. Looks like another "wake" at the end well after the explosion. I think it's just wind.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

A sinusoidal shock wave moving through the bridge would have both upwards and downwards movement.
And what would cause that? I remember a suspension bridge failing during a wind event many years ago.
GAC06
AG
A gigantic explosion?
AgLA06
AG
GAC06 said:

There was a stiff breeze. Looks like another "wake" at the end well after the explosion. I think it's just wind.

No it doesn't. You don't get a V shaped wake just below the blast without one anywhere else.
fullback44
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Private PoopyPants said:

My money is definitely on an attack from the sea.

On the video looking down the bridge, the explosion looks to be centered slightly off the bridges right side(from video view)

That's what I'm thinking .. something detonated from under the sea and lifted the bridge sections
aggiehawg
AG
GAC06 said:

A gigantic explosion?
LOL. Okay guess I wasn't clear. I was asking if it would require a shaped charge that goes off in one direction that starts such a wave?
GAC06
AG
Something made a wake that looks like wind catching a wave, but blew up in the water with a massive explosion without causing a huge wave from the explosion? Makes sense.
AgLA06
AG
GAC06 said:

Something made a wake that looks like wind catching a wave, but blew up in the water with a massive explosion without causing a huge wave from the explosion? Makes sense.

Nope. It's literally a V-shaped wake from a boat / submersible moving right to left directly under the span where it explodes.

jbeaman88
AG
GAC06 said:

Likely from debris falling in the water. You can see a pretty good distance down the way in the water just prior to the explosion and there are no other waves or wakes of that size. I'm not buying the wind explanation.
GAC06
AG
AgLA06 said:

GAC06 said:

Nope. It's literally a V-shaped wake from a boat / submersible moving right to left directly under the span where it explodes.

The "wake" is not the origin of the explosion. The explosion is from the left.
agent-maroon
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

And what would cause that? I remember a suspension bridge failing during a wind event many years ago.
The blast itself would be the cause. The bridge is flexible even though it appears to be rigid so a blast on the surface would create waves like the ripples you see in the water after you throw a rock into it. Think about how a seismological station picks up both earthquakes and explosions. A sudden release of energy creates a wave no matter how rigid or strong the surface happens to be and the variability will be in the amount of deflection.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agyellow
AG
agent-maroon said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

The blast itself would be the cause. The bridge is flexible even though it appears to be rigid so a blast on the surface would create waves like the ripples you see in the water after you throw a rock into it. Think about how a seismological station picks up both earthquakes and explosions. A sudden release of energy creates a wave no matter how rigid or strong the surface happens to be and the variability will be in the amount of deflection.

The visible wave would have to be from the delivery vehicle... the explosion would certainly cause a secondary wave but the explosion is so fast that it would not be visible.
Kceovaisnt-
AG
While it's possible that there may have been some elastic strain on the structure before failure. I do not think it's likely that an explosion would allow the structure to remain elastic for a full oscillation cycle before failing.

If the blast came from above, it would need a full oscillation cycle to jump off the pylon.
I think the impulse came from below.

I suppose it's also possible that the explosion had a downward force on a different part of that bridge segment and this part was on the opposite side of the segment's center of mass which could cause the jump.
GAC06
AG
Watch again, specifically the second view

The center of the explosion is exactly where the truck is. The span below is destroyed. The street lights on the right side are bent outwards away from where the truck was. The guardrail on the left is left bent outwards away from where the truck was. There's no massive displacement of water or churned disturbed water after the smoke clears like there would have been if something that big had exploded in the water.
agent-maroon
AG
Kceovaisnt- said:

While it's possible that there may have been some elastic strain on the structure before failure. I do not think it's likely that an explosion would allow the structure to remain elastic for a full oscillation cycle before failing.

If the blast came from above, it would need a full oscillation cycle to jump off the pylon.

I suppose it's also possible that the explosion had a downward force on a different part of that bridge segment and this part was on the opposite side of the segment's center of mass which could cause the jump.
If there was an elastic deformation deflecting downward from the blast, then there would have to be a rebound elastic deformation upwards through the neutral point. It wouldn't have the same amplitude in it's upward movement, but there would be a net displacement upwards. That's just physics. The question would be the magnitude of the upward deflection - would it be large enough to displace it off the bearing/supports? I have no idea.

Also, the bridge would be twisting along it's longitudinal axis as well. The combined amplitudes would be additive at some points.

ETA

Zobel
AG
How do you explode something on the surface and direct the force into the span itself? The old, "firecracker on your palm is a burn, in your fist is a lost hand" thing.
aggiehawg
AG
Kceovaisnt- said:

That's where it gets confusing to me. Like with controlled demolition, there needs to be a series of explosions to create such a wave..
agent-maroon
AG
Zobel said:

How do you explode something on the surface and direct the force into the span itself? The old, "firecracker on your palm is a burn, in your fist is a lost hand" thing.

This was from a van sized fertilizer bomb parked some distance away from the Murrah Federal Building in OKC. A bigger truck with HE wouldn't have any difficulty transferring the blast from surface to bridge.

Anecdotal to be sure, but I've had a firecracker go off in the palm of my hand and can assure you that the force of the blast is easily perceived and there was no burn afterwards.
wangus12
AG
So this truck is coming from Russia to Crimea. What are the chances that this wasn't Ukraine
GAC06
AG
I think Crimea towards Russia
AgLA06
AG
Robk said:

CondensedFogAggie said:

Alright, this may actually be the explosion on the Kerch bridge.

Good riddance.

Happy birthday Putin. Get the **** out of Urkaine.
Bottom right-hand corner. RIGHT before the explosion. It looks like there is something creating a wake under the bridge,

I'll quote this so 06 can watch the video we're actually talking about.
DapperDanMan
AG
You don't see any wind/wave action between any of the other pedestals, it's almost like a vessel of some kind slowing down rapidly under the target. It reminds me of a bass boat or something coming off the throttle quickly and pushing the water out in front of it at it settles into the water.
Slava Ukraini!
lb3
AG
This discussion is insane. Y'all are grasping at coincidences to invent a evil-genius super weapon. Take it to the conspiracies I believe in thread.
wangus12
AG
Are we sure. The rail is on the south side of the bridge. If they were going west to east, the rail would be on the right side of the videos posted
AgLA06
AG
agyellow said:

agent-maroon said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

The visible wave would have to be from the delivery vehicle... the explosion would certainly cause a secondary wave but the explosion is so fast that it would not be visible.

Exactly. You can actually see the delivery vehicle pushing the wake if you slow down and pause the video.
GAC06
AG
Ah I think you're right
agent-maroon
AG
Found a couple of animations on how earthquakes (sudden release of energy like explosion) generate different types of waves. Some might find it helpful.

https://www.iris.edu/hq/inclass/uploads/videos/A_006B_seismicS-Wave_braile.mp4

https://www.iris.edu/hq/inclass/uploads/videos/A_006C_RaleighWave_braile.mp4

https://www.iris.edu/hq/inclass/uploads/videos/A_006D_LoveWave_braile.mp4

FWIW
AgLA06
AG
I just posted so you can see the boat.
GAC06
AG
DapperDanMan said:

You don't see any wind/wave action between any of the other pedestals, it's almost like a vessel of some kind slowing down rapidly under the target. It reminds me of a bass boat or something coming off the throttle quickly and pushing the water out in front of it at it settles into the water.

Yet the explosion is centered on the next span. And there's no significant water disruption. And all the guardrails and street lights are bent away from where the truck was.
First Page Last Page
Page 830 of 1367

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.