***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,595,458 Views | 47839 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by 74OA
No Spin Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Red Pear Realty said:

Somebody is selling the Iranians US made chips…

Knowing a little about war profiteering; I wouldn't be surprised if someone from the U.S. sold these parts knowing full well what they were for and who they'd be used against.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
FriscoKid
AG

^^^^
This
Zobel
AG
I see Analog Devices markings on the two at an angle in the bottom. A bunch of those have Microchip Technology / Atmel markings also which is a US manufacturer.

On the other hand the only part number I can see clearly (69052WR) is just a low dropout voltage regulator. Not exactly high-tech stuff.

I'm not sure what you can make of that single photo.
aezmvp
I'd be expecting FBI/CIA/DIA visits if I were those companies, but that would assume our government is competent.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
bonfarr said:

lb sand said:

Gen. Hodges roadmap to Ukraine victory.

All hypothetical, but interesting.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11278851/How-Ukraine-achieve-victory-against-Russia-according-experts.html

I still don't see how Ukraine can mount a land invasion of Crimea. They can hammer the coast with missiles from Southern Ukraine but how do they get enough boots on the ground to push the Russians out with only a few roads to access?

my thoughts as i've been watching the map, is that once the line is pushed back to Crimea with the only land access for Russia being that sole bridge, is that a good old fashion siege makes the most sense because at that point the entire area is within range for strikes on military assets. So they can take their time, and soften everything up before making their final push. maybe not a full siege due to civilian populations but you could certainly make things really uncomfortable for any Russians still there.
torrid
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Scavenged from a PC someone got at Best Buy?
74OA
AG
Ukraine must regain control of its southern coastline, even if it doesn't regain Crimea.

Crimea is easily isolated, but Ukraine's southlands are essential both economically--farmland and ports--and militarily since everything west of the Donbas gives Ukraine the strategic depth and internal security which are absolutely essential to resist far larger Russia in the long-term.

Ukraine has already proven it can prosper without Crimea and the breakaway Donbas republics--particularly as it has already retaken the eastern oil/gas fields--but it would be permanently crippled if it can't secure its coastal flank.

Zelensky should keep driving to get back every acre of land he can in the east, but IMO now that Kharkiv is safe the priority should be in the south.
Zobel
AG
Update from Zeihan
ABATTBQ11
AG
No Spin Ag said:

Red Pear Realty said:

Knowing a little about war profiteering; I wouldn't be surprised if someone from the U.S. sold these parts knowing full well what they were for and who they'd be used against.

More likely it is unrestricted and purchased from commercial markets. You could probably run a drone on a raspberry pi if you really wanted to, but you could also repurpose lots of other computers as well. You just need some know how.
MouthBQ98
AG
Agreed. It is a repurposed off the shelf computer controller of some kind, probably a generic automation system and you'd only have to reprogram it. I bet you could buy them by the thousand from a distributor in Taiwan.
74OA
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

No Spin Ag said:

Red Pear Realty said:

More likely it is unrestricted and purchased from commercial markets. You could probably run a drone on a raspberry pi if you really wanted to, but you could also repurpose lots of other computers as well. You just need some know how.
The problem has been well-documented, and laws are in place to address it but, as usual, enforcement lags behind legislation. CHIPS
Eliminatus
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Absolutely. It is not accurate to think that Iran is not capable of creating this board. Actually, I am positive they can. It looks like a lot, but it essentially only needs a few of the bigger chips on there from countries not friendly to Iran. Which are all easily sourced on the industrial side. It is not uncommon for companies to order hundreds of thousands and even millions of these chips at once. Even as a student I could buy microprocessor rolls of 10K units with just a credit card and some company info.

The board design itself, Iran can do. Hell, I am pretty sure with time, motivation, and an experienced team supporting me, I can do it myself. We ran into Iranian purpose made spider web design IED kits, complete with easy how to instructions in Afghanistan. Just add explosives! Those were also specially designed PCBs made in house. Not as complex as a drone board, but demonstrates they have the capacity, though probably in low numbers.

JFABNRGR
AG
74OA said:

Ukraine must regain control of its southern coastline, even if it doesn't regain Crimea.

Crimea is easily isolated, but Ukraine's southlands are essential both economically--farmland and ports--and militarily since everything west of the Donbas gives Ukraine the strategic depth and internal security which are absolutely essential to resist far larger Russia in the long-term.

Ukraine has already proven it can prosper without Crimea and the breakaway Donbas republics--particularly as it has already retaken the eastern oil/gas fields--but it would be permanently crippled if it can't secure its coastal flank.

Zelensky should keep driving to get back every acre of land he can in the east, but IMO now that Kharkiv is safe the priority should be in the south.
This EXACTLY the south bank of the DNIPRO and enough buffer to keep out indirect fire/etc plus restoration of Mariupol and Melitopol.
This said I am 100% for taking back of Crimea, even as costly as it will be. Again Turkey supporting this is significant given their size and proximity and obviously over the last few years have built a much better relationship with Ukraine than russia.

As this is discussed in light of the significant gains by Ukraine, we need to keep in mind the resources available to russia in defending Crimea, which though previously falling short of expectations, is navy, air power, & land based missile systems. They have also known about the direct threat since the attacks on the air base and rail depot and if any competence at all would be bolstering its defense to include mining/pre-targeting and staging of assets while formulating battle defense plans likely not previously hashed out. They do not have to fly over hostile territory (yet) to support defense of crimea. The sacrifice of 3-5+ BTGs in Kherson is not to defend Kherson anymore but to protect Crimea.
“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
hsjnlssmith89
74OA
AG
Do me a favor and edit "east of the Donbas" to "west of the Donbas". I caught it too late in my original.
Eliminatus
AG
74OA said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

No Spin Ag said:

Red Pear Realty said:

The problem has been well-documented, and laws are in place to address it but, as usual, enforcement lags behind legislation. CHIPS
Which brings up the other salient point about these chips. There are already literally billions of these things already out in the world. Just takes know how to make it work to your applications. And multiple chips can be adapted to do the same thing.

That was actually one of the bigger headaches of the major supply chain issues we faced. Simply redesigning already made products with chips that could be had, and not necessarily the ones originally in mind. That was actually the unwritten job description of one of the first jobs I looked at after graduation. Redesigning products for available chips.
74OA
AG
Eliminatus said:

74OA said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

No Spin Ag said:

Red Pear Realty said:

Which brings up the other salient point about these chips. There are already literally billions of these things already out in the world. Just takes know how to make it work to your applications. And multiple chips can be adapted to do the same thing.

That was actually one of the bigger headaches of the major supply chain issues we faced. Simply redesigning already made products with chips that could be had, and not necessarily the ones originally in mind. That was actually the unwritten job description of one of the first jobs I looked at after graduation. Redesigning products for available chips.
.......and in addition to massive IP theft by China, indifferent compliance by second- and third-party venders, ineffective export controls enforcement also extends well beyond just the US. EUROPE
P.U.T.U
AG
Think most people don't remember 2013/2014, when Russia took Crimea Ukraine lost 75% of their GDP. Long term Ukraine needs to take Crimea back
torrid
AG
Eliminatus said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

Absolutely. It is not accurate to think that Iran is not capable of creating this board. Actually, I am positive they can. It looks like a lot, but it essentially only needs a few of the bigger chips on there from countries not friendly to Iran. Which are all easily sourced on the industrial side. It is not uncommon for companies to order hundreds of thousands and even millions of these chips at once. Even as a student I could buy microprocessor rolls of 10K units with just a credit card and some company info.

The board design itself, Iran can do. Hell, I am pretty sure with time, motivation, and an experienced team supporting me, I can do it myself. We ran into Iranian purpose made spider web design IED kits, complete with easy how to instructions in Afghanistan. Just add explosives! Those were also specially designed PCBs made in house. Not as complex as a drone board, but demonstrates they have the capacity, though probably in low numbers.

The manufacturing tech of the board looks no more complex than a 386 PC from thrity years ago.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I don't think staff liked my first analogy…but to say it a different way… stuff we make should not get sold to people who want to kill us. I don't care how old it is.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
AgLA06
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

I don't think staff liked my first analogy…but to say it a different way… stuff we make should not get sold to people who want to kill us. I don't care how old it is.
Great.

Once you sell it to someone, you're ability to track it or control it is essentially gone. Only recourse is someone to report it and you stop selling to them. Then the end user just goes to the next person you sell to.

Welcome to global markets.
ATX_AG_08
AG

Rossticus
Rossticus
torrid
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

I would have left my sidearm in the tank when surrendering.
Eliminatus
AG
That's incredibly heartening to see. Truly pray that this is the start of a mass trend.

Also, that was as proficient a job by the Ukes as anything expected of professional western forces. Textbook even. A man to search with another to cover with others providing constant outboard security, maintaining dispersion, and a single man controlling the scene. Kudos to them. I know it sounds easy to do but as with a lot of things, it takes practice and procedure to do it the most right way possible. Which eliminates as many variables as possible for shenanigans.
Rossticus
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
ElKabong
74OA
AG
We clearly need to include zip-cuffs in our next tranche of aid to Ukraine.
P.U.T.U
AG
Telling when they are surrendering in a armored vehicle to infantry
Rossticus
lobopride
Not sure if this has been discussed or not, but if a Ukrainian citizen is caught fighting for Russia are they considered mere POWs? Or traitors? Both?

I wonder what happens when Ukraine pushes into territory that isn't as naturally friendly to them. They will start to capture more and more of their own people fighting for the other side.
bonfarr
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Cut the water.

They did that and the Russians didn't leave. The dams were in place until they were destroyed at the start of this war.
Disclaimer: Views expressed in this post reflect the opinions of Texags user bonfarr and are not to be accepted as facts or to be accepted at face value.
Rossticus
First Page Last Page
Page 812 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.