***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,595,952 Views | 47840 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by pagerman @ work
benchmark
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wangus12 said:

I think these couple of posts nailed it. The Ukes are operating with these small, mobile strike teams that have decision making at a much lower tier than the Russians. They roll in hard and fast and Russians don't have the command response necessary to deal with it. Its over before the communication relay between command can be completed.
To add ... the Orks often can't differentiate the size/strength of their attackers (strike team vs regiment) - adding to the battlefield chaos.
JFABNRGR
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

oldmanguy said:

aezmvp said:

Gaius Julius Bevo said:

benchmark said:

Speculation the Lyman axis may pivot north toward Svatove and bypass Kremminna.

How long can the Ukrainians keep up their offensive? Even at the 1:1.4 casualty ratio some have mentioned above, they will run out of manpower soon, right?
Remember that the lines just West of Donetsk (city) have been fairly static since the start of the war. There are a lot of units there on both sides that have been dug in for nearly a decade in those areas.

This specific area, west of Donetsk, will be an absolute nightmare for either side to gain without some massive flanking. That area is set up with WWI era trench lines and gaining ground will be a meat grinder. I don't expect any major push one way or another there until the near finality of action. Whover goes first will just get mauled IMO.
So far, it seems that the Ukes are WAY more successful at the drone aspect and these dug in Russians will spend every waking moment looking up for that drone dropping grenades on them 24/7. Morale is going to be lower than whale *****
Wait until an M270/HIMARS M31A2 blows up overhead of the trenches and 182,000 tungsten preformed fragments rain death.

A few of these up and down the line, followed up by inspections of their non-targeted still living comrades and the trenches will soon be vacant.
“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
lb3
AG
wangus12 said:

lb3 said:

oldmanguy said:

BlackGoldAg2011 said:

I'll add that I'm also fascinated by Russia's complete failure to adapt/respond to UA tactics. The number of times we've seen that exact same maneuver show up on the map and be successful is honestly quite astonishing. I'm no military strategist, but I would think against any competent military, there would be a limit to the number of times the same tactic can be successful.
The Ukes are using small units to haul ass and get behind. It's even way more decentralized than anything we would ever do, it's bordering on chaotic. But riding the edge of effective and chaos is working because the Ukes have good communication.

The Russians, on the other hand, don't use the restroom without permission. They have poor/no comms and what comms they do have seem to be open for everyone to listen to. The Russians have never been good at high speed high maneuverability and they are literally getting leapfrogged to death.

Worse yet, the only way to halt this from happening over and over again would be to fall back a good bit, form some steady lines, and regroup/rearm. The russians won't do that.
It really does sounds like chaos.

The best I can tell from some of the personal accounts I've read, Ukrainian platoon sized elements are basically operating independently. They advance to contact, engage, and either pin the defenders in place while they call in an artillery strike, or pursue when the defenders break off contact. Once they run out of ammo, food, or other supplies, they head back to the rear to get resupplied then return to the front when ready.

The Ukrainians have developed a strategery (thanks dub) in which they have delegated tactical command decisions to such a low level that they can act and react well within the turn around time of Russian comms and can maneuver to positions inside Russia's artillery's precision.

Basically, the Russians don't have time to employ reserves to reinforce units under attack and can't employ their overwhelming but imprecise artillery without saturating their own positions. Without improved comms and precise indirect fire, the Ukes are basically running up the score on the way to a 77-0 style rout of the orcs.

I think these couple of posts nailed it. The Ukes are operating with these small, mobile strike teams that have decision making at a much lower tier than the Russians. They roll in hard and fast and Russians don't have the command response necessary to deal with it. Its over before the communication relay between command can be completed.
The Ukes using this distributed command and logistics network, aren't massing troops prior to an assault so there is no center of mass to counter attack. It's like the cows attacking the flys in my previous gif.

The Uke's forward operating bases seem to be any of hundreds of different barns or houses dispersed across the front and logistics seem to be whatever truck they encounter in their way from the front. I'm sure it's more formalized than I'm describing but the first hand accounts from Uke soldiers makes it seem like they're all a bunch of cowboys.
Stat Monitor Repairman
AgLA06
AG
docb said:

A lot of new names on this thread have caused a serious derailment. Ya'll go start another thread to debate on Elon's business practices.

If you don't think it is significant the one person that has provided the sole means for Ukrainian troops to communicate is suddenly pushing for terms beneficial to the enemy, I'm not sure what to tell you. That's a more realistic threat to Ukraine's future than nukes.
LMCane
mickeyrig06sq3 said:

aggiehawg said:

Uhm, don't think the Ukes will respond well to that.
Can we bring back the exported Ukrainians, and eject the imported Russians first?
exactly.

Musk seems to not realize the fact that it depends not only on who counts the votes, but who are the voters.

it would be like the Native Indians being offered the chance to take back South Dakota in 1895 if the population voted for it...
Eliminatus
AG
lb3 said:

wangus12 said:

lb3 said:

oldmanguy said:

BlackGoldAg2011 said:

I'll add that I'm also fascinated by Russia's complete failure to adapt/respond to UA tactics. The number of times we've seen that exact same maneuver show up on the map and be successful is honestly quite astonishing. I'm no military strategist, but I would think against any competent military, there would be a limit to the number of times the same tactic can be successful.
The Ukes are using small units to haul ass and get behind. It's even way more decentralized than anything we would ever do, it's bordering on chaotic. But riding the edge of effective and chaos is working because the Ukes have good communication.

The Russians, on the other hand, don't use the restroom without permission. They have poor/no comms and what comms they do have seem to be open for everyone to listen to. The Russians have never been good at high speed high maneuverability and they are literally getting leapfrogged to death.

Worse yet, the only way to halt this from happening over and over again would be to fall back a good bit, form some steady lines, and regroup/rearm. The russians won't do that.
It really does sounds like chaos.

The best I can tell from some of the personal accounts I've read, Ukrainian platoon sized elements are basically operating independently. They advance to contact, engage, and either pin the defenders in place while they call in an artillery strike, or pursue when the defenders break off contact. Once they run out of ammo, food, or other supplies, they head back to the rear to get resupplied then return to the front when ready.

The Ukrainians have developed a strategery (thanks dub) in which they have delegated tactical command decisions to such a low level that they can act and react well within the turn around time of Russian comms and can maneuver to positions inside Russia's artillery's precision.

Basically, the Russians don't have time to employ reserves to reinforce units under attack and can't employ their overwhelming but imprecise artillery without saturating their own positions. Without improved comms and precise indirect fire, the Ukes are basically running up the score on the way to a 77-0 style rout of the orcs.

The Ukes using this distributed command and logistics network, aren't massing troops prior to an assault so there is no center of mass to counter attack. It's like the cows attacking the flys in my previous gif.

The Uke's forward operating bases seem to be any of hundreds of different barns or houses dispersed across the front and logistics seem to be whatever truck they encounter in their way from the front. I'm sure it's more formalized than I'm describing but the first hand accounts from Uke soldiers makes it seem like they're all a bunch of cowboys.

It is pretty wild but one of the things we learn in the Corps is that violence of action is a force multiplier of its own. Sometimes a violent plan act on immediately is more effective than the perfect plan later.

This is also an area where the modeling of western armies is paying absolute dividends for the Ukes. We have always stressed the need for small unit leadership. Platoon sized on down. We place huge responsibilities on our young NCOs and lieutenants and it gives them confidence and the ability to act on the moment and not wait for orders. Modern warfare is way too fast and fluid to micromanage from a command center dozens of miles away. You need to empower those NCOs and young officers to make decisions and act on them when needed. As mentioned by others this is largely the opposite of how the Russians operate. After this is all said and done, I think this is an area that will really be highlighted in the analysis of the war.

May be Wild West stuff but it is working. We did similar things in Iraq '03 and large portions of Afghanistan.
JFABNRGR
AG
Elon Musk is smarter than this and if Starlink is as valuable to the Ukes as we have read it is, the Uke diplomat would not have responded that way publicly.

Something more complex is occurring here with the tweet vote otherwise he is indirectly advocating we give back Alaska.
“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
Demosthenes81
AG
Maybe he is bot fishing for the lawsuit.
docb
AG
AgLA06 said:

docb said:

A lot of new names on this thread have caused a serious derailment. Ya'll go start another thread to debate on Elon's business practices.

If you don't think it is significant the one person that has provided the sole means for Ukrainian troops to communicate is suddenly pushing for terms beneficial to the enemy, I'm not sure what to tell you. That's a more realistic threat to Ukraine's future than nukes.

I agree on that but it was getting seriously sidetracked
aggrad02
AG

Rossticus said:

Hold on to your butts… and hope this proves to be inaccurate.

Welcome back knucklehead.

So if this goes how the rest of the war has gone, he's about to give the Uke's a nuclear bomb?
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

if it is anything like the rest of RU equipment, its disappearance is perhaps more likely due to it sinking than to it being mobilized.
Ulysses90
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

I guess it's fairly obvious Russia has actually spent a fraction of it's supposed defense budget on actual defense things and the rest into oligarchs pockets after saying it was for defense

The retirement plan for KGB agents is caled oligarch. That pretty mmh explains the sad state of 21st century Russia.
lobopride
Denys' latest video. Nothing we didn't already know.

Who?mikejones!
aggrad02 said:

Rossticus said:

So if this goes how the rest of the war has gone, he's about to give the Uke's a nuclear bomb?

Any of you expert plane tracker know if we have sniffers up in the air?
Ulysses90
AG
oldmanguy said:

BlackGoldAg2011 said:

They've conjured the damn ghost of Bedford Forrest because they just keep doing what he would do:

"Get 'em skeered and keep the skeer on 'em"

"Get there first with the most men."

"Attack in all direction."

"Forward men, and mix with them."

"War is about fightin, and fightin is about killin."

"Nobody kills me and lives to tell about it!"

AgBank
AG
mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Can we bring back the exported Ukrainians, and eject the imported Russians first?
GREAT point!!! I cannot believe Elon missed that.
aggiehawg
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

More on that sub.

Who?mikejones!
Stat Monitor Repairman
Nuclear tipped, nuclear powered autonomous torpedoes. Looks like something out of a comic book.
Not a Bot
AG
The sub carries this supposed cobalt nuclear torpedo which is designed to detonate offshore. The shaped blast would theoretically cause a massive tsunami of radioactive water to engulf a coastal city. Fun times.
benchmark
AG
So, the Nova Kakhovka dam/bridge is 35 miles SW of the Dudchany pincer and 20 miles south of the Davydiv Bris pincer. Huge deal if they can capture the dam.

aggiehawg
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

The sub carries this supposed cobalt nuclear torpedo which is designed to detonate offshore. The shaped blast would theoretically cause a massive tsunami of radioactive water to engulf a coastal city. Fun times.
Theoretically, how massive of a tsunami? 20 feet? 30 feet? 100 feet? What is the yield on that. if you know.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
aggrad02 said:

Rossticus said:

Thread over
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
agent-maroon
AG

Graphic says a 1600 ft tsunami. That seems impossibly large. Am I reading that right?

And that radioactive water is draining right back out into the ocean for everyone to enjoy...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
My grandfather witnessed a couple of nuclear tests in the South Pacific after the war. He always told me, "you have no idea the magnitude of power in a nuclear bomb."
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
ATX_AG_08
AG
Um…just gonna leave this here.

Who?mikejones!
Is that a hummer?
ATX_AG_08
AG
It's a very interesting new tactic whatever it is.

One of the comments: "he died doing what he loved"
Waffledynamics
AG
PJYoung
AG
Waffledynamics said:

'potential'
Not a Bot
AG
aggiehawg said:

Private PoopyPants said:

Theoretically, how massive of a tsunami? 20 feet? 30 feet? 100 feet? What is the yield on that. if you know.
Theoretically, the tsunami could be over a kilometer high depending on yield and other factors like seafloor geography and distance from the detonation. That being said, the yield is likely far, far lower. The danger in these things is they travel very slowly and don't make much noise so they are difficult to track until they are close to the target and begin their final acceleration pattern before detonation. The cobalt causes increased radioactive fallout in the water. While an underwater detonation largely protects the surface and atmosphere from radiation, the seabed would be contaminated for decades and the radioactive salts would filter through along the coastline along an extended range.
aggiehawg
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

aggiehawg said:

Private PoopyPants said:

Theoretically, the tsunami could be over a kilometer high depending on yield and other factors like seafloor geography and distance from the detonation. That being said, the yield is likely far, far lower. The danger in these things is they travel very slowly and don't make much noise so they are difficult to track until they are close to the target and begin their final acceleration pattern before detonation. The cobalt causes increased radioactive fallout in the water. While an underwater detonation largely protects the surface and atmosphere from radiation, the seabed would be contaminated for decades and the radioactive salts would filter through along the coastline along an extended range.
Bird Poo
AG
I recall the Japanese plant that leaked radioactive water to the sea. Didn't hear anything about it after that.
fullback44
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

aggiehawg said:

Private PoopyPants said:

Are the Russians really stupid enough to basically poison the entire Black Sea or the Sea of Azov? They would piss off a lot more people than just the Ukraine, starting with Turkey, Turkey may cut them off completely from using the Bosphorus and Dardanelles Straits …. It would be load gun, ready, aim, SHOOT… foot falls off

Not to also mention if this tsunami did work and went the wrong direction towards all of Turkeys shorelines… Ruskies would essentially screw themselves
First Page Last Page
Page 804 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.