***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,597,822 Views | 47843 Replies | Last: 16 min ago by AtticusMatlock
Bryan98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wangus12 said:

docb said:

Interestingly I had a Russian middle aged man and his wife in my office yesterday and briefly chatted about the war. The man was pretty adamant that what Putin is doing is justified. I was surprised to hear this from a Russian that lives here.

So ge was totally fine accepting that Putin's decision is likely going to destroy his country? Did you ask if he was volunteering for conscription?

Since they were in his place of business and he didn't say he threw them out, I imagine he was swallowing any of his thoughts along those lines.
Grapes
wangus12 said:

docb said:

Interestingly I had a Russian middle aged man and his wife in my office yesterday and briefly chatted about the war. The man was pretty adamant that what Putin is doing is justified. I was surprised to hear this from a Russian that lives here.

So ge was totally fine accepting that Putin's decision is likely going to destroy his country? Did you ask if he was volunteering for conscription?

I find it surprising that this thread is so one sided. There is a significant block of the world that thinks the Ukraine, NATO and the US are corrupt as **** and the ones in the wrong here.
agent-maroon
AG
Grapes said:

wangus12 said:

docb said:

I find it surprising that this thread is so one sided. There is a significant block of the world that thinks the Ukraine, NATO and the US are corrupt as **** and the ones in the wrong here.

Remind me - who invaded who?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
txags92
AG
Grapes said:

wangus12 said:

docb said:

I find it surprising that there are people in the world who would side with the country that is invading sovereign countries and raping, torturing, and brutally murdering men, women, and children. But there are, and they are wrong.
AgLA06
AG
Grapes said:

wangus12 said:

docb said:

Outside of Africa or countries with dictators I'm not aware of anyone who thinks anyone other than Russia is in the wrong here.

I mean even India and China at this point think he's an idiot and are publicly questioning "special operation" to plunder Ukraine in hopes of boosting his failing country.
wangus12
AG
I personally feel 100% of governments on this planet are corrupt. That doesn't change the fact that Russia is the aggressor here and most Ukrainians do not want them there or need to be saved or liberated.

Nor does it change the fact that the war has devastated Russia's military to the point of conscription, eliminating massive amounts local manpower and is going to cripple their nation economically.
GAC06
AG
Grapes said:

wangus12 said:

docb said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_General_Assembly_Resolution_ES-11/1

"Significant block" that voted against demanding Russia withdraw from Ukraine:

Russia
Belarus
North Korea
Syria
Eritrea

Now scurry off back from where you came.
aggiehawg
AG
Let's get this back on track.

aggiehawg
AG
aggiehawg
AG

Smeghead4761
I haven't seen it mentioned yet in this thread (I'll admit, I might have missed it - but did anyone notice that Russia announced it will annex the regions of Ukraine that its forces have occupied - Luhansk, Donetsk, Zaphorizhzhia and Kherson - after sham 'referendums' run by Russia. Basically the same thing they did in Crimea when they occupied that.

It doesn't make much difference at the tactical level, but strategically, especially internally, it's big. It allows Putin to claim that any Ukrainian attacks on those areas - areas recognized by the international community as belonging to Ukraine - as invasions of Russia itself.

Which makes it much easier, politically, to push mobilization, and potentially even larger escalations, because now he's defending the Motherland.

Eidt: forgot the link. https://www.foxnews.com/world/russian-president-vladimir-putin-annex-4-ukrainian-regions-friday-ceremony
aggiehawg
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
Yes, this is well understood. No idea how he expects it to actually translate into battlefield victory. The most motivated swordsmen in the world won't stand a chance against superior firepower and tactics. Their morale also won't suddenly raise, either.
Eliminatus
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

I haven't seen it mentioned yet in this thread (I'll admit, I might have missed it - but did anyone notice that Russia announced it will annex the regions of Ukraine that its forces have occupied - Luhansk, Donetsk, Zaphorizhzhia and Kherson - after sham 'referendums' run by Russia. Basically the same thing they did in Crimea when they occupied that.

It doesn't make much difference at the tactical level, but strategically, especially internally, it's big. It allows Putin to claim that any Ukrainian attacks on those areas - areas recognized by the international community as belonging to Ukraine - as invasions of Russia itself.

Which makes it much easier, politically, to push mobilization, and potentially even larger escalations, because now he's defending the Motherland.

Eidt: forgot the link. https://www.foxnews.com/world/russian-president-vladimir-putin-annex-4-ukrainian-regions-friday-ceremony
Externally, it is beyond worthless. Not a single nation I am aware of is going to recognize this and have publicly said so already. Internally, maybe. But with such a huge range and diversity of men fleeing Russia from all points is very telling to me.

Also, all of those places average around 98% "approval". Truly laughable. As you say, it is a sham and has already been dismissed as such by everyone not in Russia currently.
Not a Bot
AG
Grapes said:

wangus12 said:

docb said:

From Putin's rant at the start of the "special operation" criticizing Lenin for allowing Ukrainian independence 100 years ago to Putin-aligned Russian nationalists calling on Ukrainians to be sent to Siberia, it's clear there was no real justification for this war other than land grab and ethnic nonsense. The overthrow of the Russian puppet regime in 2014 was a pretext for complete annexation which has been Putin's goal since the 1990s. He wants the Russian Empire back in the worst way. Nationalists in Russia have been calling for the complete elimination of Ukraine for decades. Blaming the US, NATO, "nazis", or Ukrainian corruption for the war is just buying into the false pretext.

Even if there were actual justification for invasion (an actual threat to the Russian homeland), the way they waged the war nullifies any justification they had. The indiscriminate shelling of civilian centers and the leveling of entire cities is and was never justified. They sent in conscripts with little training and forced them to the front lines to be ground up. It is clear Russian leadership places no value on human life other than their own.

It is telling that only a few countries voted against condemning the war and very, very few have offered material support to Russia. When you are getting reassurances from Zimbabwe you are probably not on the best side. Even Belarus has refused to sent troops up to this point. Kazakhstan is moving away from Russia. Armenia saw how worthless the CSTO is and will likely move closer to Europe. Loose allies see the writing on the wall.
Smeghead4761
What makes it even more unbelievable is I've seen videos - with comments by Russian and/or Ukrainian speakers that I trust - of Russian speaking civilians welcoming Ukrainian troops who have recaptured their towns. Babushkas inviting them in for pancakes.

And the ethnic Russians are the ones that Putin's forces are supposedly liberating.
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

Several missile strikes reported in Dnipro city
https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/29-september-several-missile-strikes-reported-in-dnipro-city

Audio from part of that strike.

https://t.me/dnepr_operativ/25286
Waffledynamics
AG
Quote:

5 of 7 Iranian-made Shahed-136 drones were shot down by Ukrainian air defense
https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/29-september-5-of-7-iranianmade-shahed136-drones-were-shot

Gordo14
Grapes said:

wangus12 said:

docb said:

Outside of Tucker Carlson, Russia, and a handful of failed states mentioned earlier, who specifically thinks NATO, US, Ukraine etc. Are in the wrong here?
Who?mikejones!
Grapes said:

wangus12 said:

docb said:

You and the debt should hang out more.
Teslag
AG
I think you mean Debtmitri Slobputinoff
ABATTBQ11
AG
Grapes said:

wangus12 said:

docb said:

Please excuse me while I don't give a **** what third world ****holes think of the West and all of its prosperity.
Waffledynamics
AG

I didn't even know about this satellite. Amazing.
mike0305
Waffledynamics said:

Yes, this is well understood. No idea how he expects it to actually translate into battlefield victory. The most motivated swordsmen in the world won't stand a chance against superior firepower and tactics. Their morale also won't suddenly raise, either.

Exactly, when they make a movie about this war someday they should call it "The Last Ivan", a spinoff of "The Last Samurai". Subtract Cruise, honor & virtue and sub in crap 50 yr old equipment, raping, pillaging and leveling cities.
ATX_AG_08
AG
AgLA06 said:

docb said:

I'm not.

They may be lazy, drunk, and stupid but they are blindly loyal to a fault.

I met a middle aged Russian lady at a work conference recently. She did not disapprove either.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Confused. Not Musk's Starlink?
Waffledynamics
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Confused. Not Musk's Starlink?
Different. Starlink is used to get internet access to the country via Musk's satellites. This satellite looks to be a crowdfunded satellite that was then handed over to the Ukrainian Armed Forces.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukrainian-celebrity-crowdfunds-radar-satellite-armed-forces-2022-08-18/

Quote:

KYIV, Aug 18 (Reuters) - A well-known Ukrainian TV host has crowdfunded a gift to help Ukraine's armed forces beat back Russia's invasion: usage rights to a radar satellite that can see through clouds.

TV star Serhiy Prytula and Finnish satellite company ICEYE OY confirmed the deal in separate statements on Thursday.

"The contract signed with the Serhiy Prytula Charity Foundation will initially provide the Government of Ukraine with the full capabilities for one of ICEYE's satellites already in orbit," the company said.
Waffledynamics
AG
GAC06
AG
Imagery satellite
aggiehawg
AG
Thanks folks! Understood.
wangus12
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

AgLA06 said:

docb said:

I'm not.

I met a middle aged Russian lady at a work conference recently. She did not disapprove either.

I had a patient years ago that was former Spetsnaz from back in the 70s. I'm sure he'd be very pro Russia. Haven't seen him in years
GarryowenAg
AG
Grapes said:

wangus12 said:

docb said:

Calling it THE Ukraine is very one-sided and very Russianistic. In fact, it can be construed as derogatory to some Ukrainians. Do some research before posting.
AlaskanAg99
AG
wangus12 said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

AgLA06 said:

docb said:

I'm not.

I had a patient years ago that was former Spetsnaz from back in the 70s. I'm sure he'd be very pro Russia. Haven't seen him in years

He's probably growing sunflowers out of his chest after being called back up.
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Calling it THE Ukraine is very one-sided and very Russianistic. In fact, it can be construed as derogatory to some Ukrainians. Do some research before posting.
Has that been trademarked like The Ohio State University?
Waffledynamics
AG

Denys gives a really good summary of the map as it stands right now, in case that's a preferred format. The map info starts immediately. Good video. Some of it covers news we've already seen, but there's some good info there, too.
First Page Last Page
Page 792 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.