***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,597,883 Views | 47843 Replies | Last: 26 min ago by AtticusMatlock
Waffledynamics
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FamousAgg
Scrap industry in Ukraine must be booming!!! Literally
Killin Me Smalls
AG
Hard to imagine the mentality of a Russian soldier/conscript knowing how exposed you are at any given moment and that the Ukrainians have intel and imagery that has you lit up like a Christmas tree. Just waiting for artillery to rain down on you.
P.U.T.U
AG
Surely the Russians are starting to figure out that when they fire artillery that we can track their location in minutes.
Waffledynamics
AG
Killin Me Smalls said:

Hard to imagine the mentality of a Russian soldier/conscript knowing how exposed you are at any given moment and that the Ukrainians have intel and imagery that has you lit up like a Christmas tree. Just waiting for artillery to rain down on you.

It's only going to get worse for them as winter sets in and they have the choice of freezing to death or exposing themselves to thermal detection when they try to heat themselves up.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Surely the Russians are starting to figure out that when they fire artillery that we can track their location in minutes.
Doubt the new conscripts are given that info
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
txags92
AG
P.U.T.U said:

That knowledge lasts just long enough to hear the incoming. Then that knowledge goes away until the next crew fires at the Ukrainians.
AgLA06
AG
At this point I imagine only a fraction of the large artillery units are even functioning. They've long shot out their barrels that were subpar to begin with. We haven't seen train loads of new artillery pieces headed to Ukraine lately like we did the first couple of months of the war.
aezmvp
txags92 said:

P.U.T.U said:

That knowledge lasts just long enough to hear the incoming. Then that knowledge goes away until the next crew fires at the Ukrainians.
Fire finder radar isn't a new invention and without the US's insane ROE going through JAG, the Ukrainian's Uber style counter battery firing system is pretty nifty. If that becomes standard world wide (and it probably will, it's public info) then towed artillery is going to become a relic. I wouldn't be surprised to see more technical (ie truck) mounted mortars and such hit.
AgLA06
AG
aezmvp said:

txags92 said:

P.U.T.U said:

Fire finder radar isn't a new invention and without the US's insane ROE going through JAG, the Ukrainian's Uber style counter battery firing system is pretty nifty. If that becomes standard world wide (and it probably will, it's public info) then towed artillery is going to become a relic. I wouldn't be surprised to see more technical (ie truck) mounted mortars and such hit.
You may be right on see more self propelled artillery.

However, towed artillery is the majority of what is being used on both sides in cluding our M777s and similar by Ukraine.

It's more about competence and training than the piece.
aezmvp
AgLA06 said:

aezmvp said:

txags92 said:

P.U.T.U said:

However, towed artillery is the majority of what is being used on both sides in cluding our M777s and similar by Ukraine.

Easier/cheaper to produce for sure. But as the time for counter battery fire to come in drops shoot n' scoot will be a lot more important.
SouthTex99
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
aezmvp said:

AgLA06 said:

aezmvp said:

txags92 said:

P.U.T.U said:

Easier/cheaper to produce for sure. But as the time for counter battery fire to come in drops shoot n' scoot will be a lot more important.

No. You'll eventually see more active protection hit the battlefield, like lasers being used to intercept incoming fire. US DoD has been working on that for a long time. They're putting 50kw lasers onto Strykers, and they're planning on scaling up to 300kw on larger vehicles for defense against indirect fire. The 50kw systems on the Strykers should be able to counter drones and incoming mortar and artillery fire.

Our ROE has been adapted to fighting insurgencies and limiting collateral damage. If we were in a fight like Ukraine, ROE would likely change.
AgLA06
AG
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/03/world/middleeast/israel-laser-rockets.html#:~:text=JERUSALEM%20%E2%80%94%20After%20two%20decades%20of,anti%2Dtank%20missiles%20in%20flight.

After two decades of research and experimentation, Israeli defense officials now say they have a working prototype of a high-powered laser gun that can intercept rockets, mortar shells, drones and anti-tank missiles in flight.
MouthBQ98
AG
Earlier in the war, there was much more Russian artillery and much fewer Ukrainian modern artillery, so that the ability to counter battery without becoming a target was much less than it is now. The hunted have become the hunter with modern equipment.
Waffledynamics
AG
wangus12
AG
Waffledynamics said:

At least in Russia the people somewhat loved Putin. Belarusians hate Lukashenko and he's gonna try conscription? Bold move
txags92
AG
aezmvp said:

txags92 said:

P.U.T.U said:

To you and me, counter battery radar is not new and we were well aware our troops have had it for a while. For an uneducated Russian peasant with minimal training who thinks he is in Ukraine fighting an enemy that is less capable than the orc army, getting shelled accurately less than a minute after you fired your first shots has to be quite the surprise.
aezmvp
txags92 said:

aezmvp said:

txags92 said:

P.U.T.U said:

To you and me, counter battery radar is not new and we were well aware our troops have had it for a while. For an uneducated Russian peasant with minimal training who thinks he is in Ukraine fighting an enemy that is less capable than the orc army, getting shelled accurately less than a minute after you fired your first shots has to be quite the surprise.
For sure. Also the other note about the active protection is good but I still would want to see effectiveness and ability to scale in a peer/near peer conflict. I could see it initially employed around high value offensive assets like the Ukes HIRAMS and so forth. Even if it is Stryker borne you're going to have to deploy a significant number in your TO&E to counter distributed counter battery. I wonder how you would counter that, cluster munitions possibly, wide distribution at a higher altitude and then precision guided to target? Expensive but possibly worth it based on the the NATO MLRS and PGM arty performance in the OSINT.
74OA
AG
wangus12 said:

Waffledynamics said:

At least in Russia the people somewhat loved Putin. Belarusians hate Lukashenko and he's gonna try conscription? Bold move
Arming the opposition is a very bold move.
CondensedFogAggie
https://instagr.am/p/Ci8DU1kvzGV
Quote:

"As soon as my team arrives at this 6-story building, we conduct CQB to clear it floor by floor. As I creep up to the third floor, I notice a familiar and distinct sound...heavy tracks. I pop back to the second floor and look through a loophole in the wall and see a BMD with its back to me and large letter ''V" on its tail. I ordered my rocket operators to get ready and run up to the 4th floor where there is a firing position through a big ass hole in the side of the building. Getting eyes on five foot soldiers and 1 BMD, I order my NLAW operator, Matt to fire when ready.

The ambush plan was NLAW operator fires first and takes out the BMD, then the rest get on line and fire on the foot soldiers. Simple linear ambush. While the NLAW sets up, the rest of the guys take cover on the stairway to avoid the back blast. And we wait for the NLAW to fire...and bang.

Only that it sounded nothing like a rocket. It very much sounded like a sniper round smacking against the concrete wall. Then a lot more rounds fly into the building. I go to check on Matt and then I see him sprinting down the stairway without his rifle or NLAW and a pale face that looks like he just saw a ghost. My secondary rocket operator, Otto takes an RPG and gets ready to fire while I quickly run to a loophole to assess, and the BMD is turning around while foot soldiers are spraying rounds into the building.

I immediately kill two Russian soldiers which was enough to compromise my position and I get my team consolidated on the first floor of the building for exfiltration. The BMD turret hammers the building and I find Otto bleeding out and starting to lose consciousness. Otto was hit by a 5.45mm AK-74 round in the back above his body armor and the bullet lodged into his chest. Alex started administering first aid on him and told me that he needed five minutes."

Lt Ken Rhee.
ROK Navy.
Bravo Team Leader.
International Legion.
Battle of Irpin, March 25th
CondensedFogAggie
https://instagr.am/p/Ci-e47QuDR7
Quote:

The concrete building offered limited cover, but the enemy would have us surrounded in minutes which would put us in a very bad spot. I told Alex that we didn't have five minutes and I got the team ready for a hasty exfiltration. Matt was contemplating whether to go back for his CZ Bren and NLAW that he had dropped on the 4th floor when he nearly ate the incoming sniper fire.

I told him to forget about the lost weapons and to take Otto's rifle. Last, I need is for Matt to go back up there and eat a flying grenade. I tell Otto to snap out of it and get up, order my guys to move out, and as soon as we exit the building we get incoming turret fire, mortar fire, and small arms fire. Explosions everywhere. While running in a train formation, we set up dedicated security points to lay down suppressive fire to prevent the foot soldiers from coming after us.

The Russians respond by firing flares above our heads which are followed by consecutive mortar fire. We take a different path than our infiltration which in a way, screwed us as we kept running into dead ends. Any there was no chance to do an about face and go back towards the enemy. So, I order the guys to punch a hole in the dead ends. While we're being rained on by enemy fire, we literally kick down fences, jump walls, trip over obstacles, and then Victor screws up his leg badly on one of the obstacles.

Now we have two wounded. All this running through the neighborhood reminded me of Soap running through the favela in "Call of Duty". This was actually more intense. We finally get to where the MRAP is staged and I have Otto CASEVAC'ed out of the area. The rest of my guys link up with a Ukrainian infantry unit at an abandoned apartment complex. I get my guys reorganized and while talking with the Ukrainian head shed for the next move, I hear my interpreter, Viking tell me...the Russians have us surrounded."

-Lt. Ken Rhee,
ROK Navy.
Bravo Team Leader.
International Legion.
Battle of Irpin. March 25th
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
CondensedFogAggie

Godspeed
Not a Bot
AG
CondensedFogAggie
CondensedFogAggie
Waffledynamics
AG
Good gravy they weren't kidding about the "catastrophic" part.
Waffledynamics
AG
74OA
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Yet another example of why the ~$350B of Putin's money frozen in western banks should be given to Ukraine as war reparations.
Not a Bot
AG
docb
AG
Interestingly I had a Russian middle aged man and his wife in my office yesterday and briefly chatted about the war. The man was pretty adamant that what Putin is doing is justified. I was surprised to hear this from a Russian that lives here.
AgLA06
AG
docb said:

Interestingly I had a Russian middle aged man and his wife in my office yesterday and briefly chatted about the war. The man was pretty adamant that what Putin is doing is justified. I was surprised to hear this from a Russian that lives here.
I'm not.

They may be lazy, drunk, and stupid but they are blindly loyal to a fault.
Not a Bot
AG
wangus12
AG
docb said:

So ge was totally fine accepting that Putin's decision is likely going to destroy his country? Did you ask if he was volunteering for conscription?
First Page Last Page
Page 791 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.