***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,599,819 Views | 47846 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by sclaff
betadawg1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
74OA
AG
META disables a huge Russian disinformation startup campaign targeting Europe. LIES
CondensedFogAggie
cbr said:

just me, but if you are wearing bright blue **** over your camo, that means you expect complete fire superiority and are more worried about friendly fire than the enemy.

that alone says alot about what is really happening.

Agree.

On the flip side, if you're using bright, visible, white plastic sheets as rain cover, it probably means you're **** trained Russian troops with zero supplies, rather than you're expecting complete fire superiority
aezmvp
Yeah modern combat is weird. But the issue with the blue/yellow bands vs. red/white bands has been going on for a while. When they're on the advance you see a lot of Uke soldiers where it is much more visible. Early in the war they wore it mostly on their backs/helmet backs. Sometimes the leg. They're using very similar equipment and having to to distinguish yourself in urban/forest combat means that the friendly fire distinction has been very pronounced. Also it's easier for partisans and paramilitary to identify as well which is helpful in these areas.
Gordo14
Based on the number of videos of Ukrainians overrunning Russian positions and Russians getting captured or destroyed... It's pretty clear that the next stage of Russia's collapse is beginning.
Burrus86
AG
If I am relying on my team mate to provide suppressive fire and he is shooting selfies, I might be tempted to break his phone the first chance I get.
Waffledynamics
AG
Fightin_Aggie
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I suspect the pressure was kept too low too long, and something in the pipeline design was inadequate to the task of keeping pressure out versus keeping internal pressure balanced against external pressure.

It's a significant strategic issue with regards to how Russia can pressure NATO economically if this essentially takes the Russian Gas supply issue off the table. There is less leverage to prevent greater NATO aid to Ukraine, and no reason Russia gets paid for gas it can't deliver, and that could be significant by hitting the Russian deployment at both ends: less revenue for its own arms purchases or manufacture and possibly more better equipment shows up in Ukrainian hands.
I keep seeing explosions reported and I wonder how do they know if it was a deliberate explosion vs the pipeline failing and an explosion.

The explosion they are seeing is a pressure wave not an explosion that can be seen. I don't know but why are they so quick to jump on sabotage?

If the line is shut or low flow, don't they need to keep the pressure in the pipe pretty high in deep water to keep it in tact?
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
Waffledynamics
AG
lb sand
AG
Surely there are some places along the line where they have a shutoff valve. I'm thinking of land based natgas pipelines that have compressor stations every several miles.
There's got to be some way to shut the lines where you don't lose all 1500 miles of pipeline because of one rupture.
FireAg
AG
There are apparently multiple ruptures in different points with no commonality...

Pretty confident this was deliberate...

What can be debated is who and why...
lobopride
For sure. I know our midstream pipeline had automated shutdown valves every 20 miles that would close if they sensed a leak.
Waffledynamics
AG
Malibu
Of all the conscription ideas, the one where you take Ukrainians, give them guns / access to critical logistics, and ask them to kill their countrymen and support the war effort rather than kill you and sabotage….

Is the Kremlin really that daft? Is there nobody who's speaking up saying, hey these guys hate us and this might be a bad idea?
Waffledynamics
AG
Jesus.

BadMoonRisin
AG
Why do you need doctors when you are so slim on medical supplies that you are instructing conscripts to shove tampons in their bullet wounds?
Waffledynamics
AG

Waffledynamics
AG
??????

Waffledynamics
AG

I'm sure this sentiment is only growing among Russia's ethnic minorities.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
FireAg said:

There are apparently multiple ruptures in different points with no commonality...

Maybe, but I think that is a leap if you don't know a lot about the pipeline. Once the pressure in the line collapses what prevents the seals in other areas of the line from being damaged from the surrounding deep water pressure on the line?

I don't know and I think a lot of people saying it was deliberate may not know either.

It may have been deliberate but I would like to here some more technical before we say we know for sure.

Trump 2024
Waffledynamics
AG
FireAg
AG
Fightin_Aggie said:

FireAg said:

Maybe, but I think that is a leap if you don't know a lot about the pipeline. Once the pressure in the line collapses what prevents the seals in other areas of the line from being damaged from the surrounding deep water pressure on the line?

I don't know and I think a lot of people saying it was deliberate may not know either.

It may have been deliberate but I would like to here some more technical before we say we know for sure.
I work in pipeline...

My understanding is that both lines are affected, and they are affected in dissimilar areas and around dissimilar equipment..
Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
TxLawDawg
AG
Waffledynamics said:

/cough/bull*****/cough/
FriscoKid
AG
Waffledynamics said:

That's a lower result then I expected. I guess they didn't want it to be 100% so that the results would be believable.
MouthBQ98
AG
Russian trained soldiers might fight to the best of their ability.

Russian conscript or short term contract soldiers have three choices:

Fight when overmatched and maybe get killed.
Retreat and maybe get killed by either side.
Surrender, maybe take a risk in that process, but get out of the war.
Malibu
So this is clearly for a domestic audience because nobody internationally buys this nonsense, but do actual Russians read these results and say, "Yeah, seems legit, let's rally around the flag and defend our compatriots"? At what point is the bull**** so unbearably obtuse that it becomes a further liability to Russian aims domestically?
MouthBQ98
AG
Maybe in the same sense that Iraqi's believed the Vote Saddam Yes campaign had 99% turnout and he won 99.9% of the vote. The Russians mostly know they are being lied to, but they will be judged based on how they respond.
FriscoKid
AG
Malibu2 said:

So this is clearly for a domestic audience because nobody internationally buys this nonsense, but do actual Russians read these results and say, "Yeah, seems legit, let's rally around the flag and defend our compatriots"? At what point is the bull**** so unbearably obtuse that it becomes a further liability to Russian aims domestically?
It's a way for Putin to claim that NATO is attacking sovereign Russian territory and justify the use of nukes. The war is lost in the conventional sense. They just don't have the equipment or men to keep going that much longer. Seems like a last ditch effort on his part.

Whether his people in Russia believe the results or not, that is irrelevant. He isn't holding the election to convince anyone. He is holding the election to justify nukes or a trip to the UN to make and plea that the land should be his.
Malibu
MouthBQ98 said:

Maybe in the same sense that Iraqi's believed the Vote Saddam Yes campaign had 99% turnout and he won 99.9% of the vote. The Russians mostly know they are being lied to, but they will be judged based on how they respond.

Right but now they're being asked to actually die for some thing that is clearly nonsense. It's one thing to shrug off propaganda when it doesn't mean anything to your day-to-day life, it's quite another when the state is obviously lying to you and then trying to use that lie to get you to volunteer to kill people and maybe die. Just is so bizarre to me.
FriscoKid
AG
Since this is the same thing he did in Crimea, you have to know that the west has prepared for it. I bet this vote has zero impact on the final outcome of the war. It will just let Putin scream louder. IMO
Fightin_Aggie
AG
FriscoKid said:

Malibu2 said:

It's a way for Putin to claim that NATO is attacking sovereign Russian territory and justify the use of nukes. The war is lost in the conventional sense. They just don't have the equipment or men to keep going that much longer. Seems like a last ditch effort on his part.

Whether his people in Russia believe the results or not, that is irrelevant. He isn't holding the election to convince anyone. He is holding the election to justify nukes or a trip to the UN to make and plea that the land should be his.
I don't see Putin pleading for ****

Trump 2024
Waffledynamics
AG
Could we please stop derailing this thread into worries of nuclear war every time Russia has major setbacks and shakes their fist?

This war has lasted for over 7 months now. In that time, Russia has lost occupied territory, lost multiple high ranking officers, lost the flagship of the Black Sea Fleet, taken direct punches in Crimea as well as their uncontested, internationally recognized borders, and has been forced to try mobilizing hundreds of thousands of randos in the hope that the numbers will do something for them even if that's intimidation only.

In this time, Russia has repeatedly threatened nuclear war and then sat on their hands. It has been established that it does not benefit them to go that route. If you want to explore nuclear apocalypse scenarios, go play Fallout and keep this thread on track, please.

[Yes. -Staff]
2wealfth Man
AG
betadawg1 said:

Would these be the troops where the generals requested retreat and Putin wouldn't let them? If so, these deaths are 100% on Putin and I hope Russians at home find out the truth on this.
First Page Last Page
Page 784 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.