***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,616,204 Views | 47853 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by 74OA
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JB!98 said:

Waffledynamics said:

Private PoopyPants said:

What does this mean?
I am not going to crazy here, but could the pull out be to facilitate a tactical nuke or WMD strike on the areas that they pulled troops out of? I think that would be stupid on Ivan's part, but we have not seen them do anything smart.
It is far more likely they are just going to launch another round of cruise missiles at civilian infrastructure to punish the Ukrainians for being better at war than the orcs.
JB!98
AG
txags92 said:

JB!98 said:

Waffledynamics said:

Private PoopyPants said:

What does this mean?
I am not going to crazy here, but could the pull out be to facilitate a tactical nuke or WMD strike on the areas that they pulled troops out of? I think that would be stupid on Ivan's part, but we have not seen them do anything smart.
It is far more likely they are just going to launch another round of cruise missiles at civilian infrastructure to punish the Ukrainians for being better at war than the orcs.

I agree, I just wanted to raise that point.
rgag12
AG
AgLA06 said:

1/2 of that red wasn't in Ukrainian hands at the start of this war.

This is reality.

So you're saying Ukraine should only go to pre-February borders and let Donetsk and Luhansk separatists join Russia? Even if that's what you were saying, I don't know to be clear, Ukraine still has a lot of work to do to take back all of Kherson oblast, zaporizhia oblast,and non-separatist areas of the Donbas.

Most of those areas in blue that are on the map weren't taken by Ukraine, they were vacated by Russia when they figured out they bit off more than they could chew. That isn't a good representation of what Ukraine has successfully taken back by their own counter-attack
BQ_90
AG
lb sand said:

Russian conscripts at the training range.

Gunny Highway got new gig
TXAggie2011
AG
The Russians do still have the "land bridge to Crimea" thing to hang their hat on and push out to their adoring public. They can dig in hard on that if they want to.

Their forces in the south have seemed much more together and competent throughout this whole ordeal. They have actual defense in depth in Kherson. Not saying Ukraine can't unhinge them there, too, but the Russians have handled themselves better down that way
Demosthenes81
AG
lb sand said:

Russian conscripts at the training range.

: This is the AK-47 assault rifle, the preferred weapon of your enemy; and it makes a distinctive sound when fired at you, so remember it. Gunny Highway
Seven and three are ten, not only now, but forever. There has never been a time when seven and three were not ten, nor will there ever be a time when they are not ten. Therefore, I have said that the truth of number is incorruptible and common to all who think. — St. Augustine
Waffledynamics
AG
rgag12 said:

AgLA06 said:

This is reality.

So you're saying Ukraine should only go to pre-February borders and let Donetsk and Luhansk separatists join Russia? Even if that's what you were saying, I don't know to be clear, Ukraine still has a lot of work to do to take back all of Kherson oblast, zaporizhia oblast,and non-separatist areas of the Donbas.

Most of those areas in blue that are on the map weren't taken by Ukraine, they were vacated by Russia when they figured out they bit off more than they could chew. That isn't a good representation of what Ukraine has successfully taken back by their own counter-attack
Counterpoint: that's exactly what Ukraine's strategy is: make the areas untenable for Russia to continue holding. Ukraine knows it is not a comparable force in many ways, and so improvisation is required. Their targeting of strategic objectives makes full-fledged, suicidal frontal assaults not as necessary but accomplishes the same goals. This has now worked twice, and is hinting at working a third time in the South.
javajaws
AG
Waffledynamics said:

rgag12 said:

AgLA06 said:

This is reality.

Counterpoint: that's exactly what Ukraine's strategy is: make the areas untenable for Russia to continue holding. Ukraine knows it is not a comparable force in many ways, and so improvisation is required. Their targeting of strategic objectives makes full-fledged, suicidal frontal assaults not as necessary but accomplishes the same goals. This has now worked twice, and is hinting at working a third time in the South.

I'm sure there's a Sun Tzu quote for this, but: never fight your enemy in a way they are comfortable with. Fight the enemy the way YOU are comfortable.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
AgLA06
AG
rgag12 said:

AgLA06 said:

This is reality.

Nope. Not all.

I was specifically responding to his multiple posts downplaying the last week where he said Ukraine had only taken 10% of Russian gains back. Which wasn't correct.

You're coming in hot without reading the exchange all the way through. I hope everything on the map is blue soon and Russia is begging for parlay.
Waffledynamics
AG
Ag In Ok
AG
Is the strategic push to actually follow and liberate along the Russian border, isolating the Sea of Azov down to Kherson as the last pjase
AgLA06
AG
Looks like another Putin friend and government official "accidently" died. This one accidently fell off a boat. In the Artic.

Killed by a shaman while trying to find a hangover cure shouldn't be the most believable entry on the list...

But, here we are.

Leonid Shulman - Gazprom Invest head of transport - "suicide", January 30th

Alexander Tyulakov - Gazprom top executive - "suicide", February 25th

Mikhail Watford - oil/gas oligarch - "suicide", February 28th

Vasily Melnikov - MedStom (medical supplies) owner - "murder-suicide" (wife and two children also found dead), March

Vladislav Avayev - former Gazprombank VP, Kremlin official - "murder-suicide" (wife and daughter also found dead), April 18th

Sergey Protosenya - Novatek (gas) deputy chairman - "murder-suicide" (hanging, wife and daughter also found dead), April 19th

Alexander Subbotin - Lukoil former manager - "found in the basement of a shaman's house", "had been seeking a hangover cure and was poisoned", early May

Ravil Maganov - Lukoil chairman - "suicide", August 31st

Ivan Pechorin - Far East and Arctic Development managing director - "fell off a boat", September 10th
FamousAgg
Worlds deadliest jobs. Russian oligarch followed by Russian soldier
benchmark
AG
ISW: Kherson, Southern Campaign, September 12
Quote:

Ukraine's southern counteroffensive is continuing to have significant impacts on Russian morale and military capabilities in southern Ukraine. Satellite imagery of known Russian positions in Kyselivka, 15km northwest of Kherson City, shows that all but four Russian vehicles have departed from previous forward positions, consistent with rumors that Donetsk People's Republic (DNR) troops have abandoned Kyselivka and moved back towards the Dnipro River.

Kyselivka is an operationally significant location for Russian forces around Kherson City because it is the last major settlement along both the E58 highway and a railway line between current Ukrainian positions and Chornobaivka, the outermost part of Kherson City. The apparent withdrawal of Russian troops from this position may compromise the Russians' ability to defend the northwestern outskirts of Kherson City and suggests that Russian troops in this area perceive an imminent threat to their positions.

Spokesperson for Ukraine's Southern Operational Command, Natalya Humenyuk, stated on September 12 that Russian forces located along the right bank of the Dnipro River in Kherson Oblast are attempting to negotiate for surrender under the auspices of international law. Ukrainian operations in Kharkiv Oblast are unlikely to have had such a dramatic psychological effect on Russian troops this far south, and both the withdrawal of troops from forward positions in Kyselivka and reports of surrender negotiations are indicators that Ukrainian counteroffensives in the south are progressing in a significant way, even if visibility on this axis is limited by the shift in focus to Kharkiv.
74OA
AG
Today's SITREP.
TXAggie2011
AG
ISW doesn't seem to believe Ukrainian forces are in Svatove as suggested by the below map, but they do acknowledge Ukrainian reports that the Russians have left Svatove. That's another 20 miles east of the current confirmed line along the Oskil River. If Ukraine isn't there yet, it seems like it will be a matter of time.

Not a Bot
AG
FriscoKid
AG
This looks like a total collapse at this point. Maybe Russia can retreat to an Alamo and put up a fight, but this is battle that will go down in history for centuries.
agsalaska
AG
FriscoKid said:

This looks like a total collapse at this point. Maybe Russia can retreat to an Alamo and put up a fight, but this is battle that will go down in history for centuries.
Looks that way to me too.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

FIDO95
AG
* Warning Graphic *

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkraineWarVideoReport/comments/xccs6w/lets_not_forget_this_ukrainian_soldier_from_just/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I have to admit sometimes I forget behind all the maps and arrows and graphics are real men fighting and dying. This was sobering. Making it worse was the song (translated to Ukrainian?) which always makes me cry anyway. T&P for those and all warriors.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
txags92
AG
I am wondering with the rumors of general staff standing up to Putin and refusing to send more troops to Ukraine and the rumors of the duma members starting to turn on Putin, if the Mid level army leaders are just checking out and going home?
agAngeldad
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Private PoopyPants said:

Watch this.

That was incredible. Thanks.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
SwigAg11 said:

Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Agthatbuilds said:

I'd imagine the ukes are trying to push their momentum to capture all they can before fall/winter weather mucks things up.

If they time it right, they can push Russia out and use winter as a helpful time to build up defenses for a major russian counter attack.

The wild card here is putin. What's he going to do?

1. Declare actual war, institute a draft and try to actually overwhelm the ukes, at least in the east/south east? Of course, this would mean pulling troops/recruits from Moscow and St. Petersburg which could escalate any internal resistance.

2. Throw everything he has into the donbass and Crimea regions, say the special operation is over and attempt to not lose any ill-goten gains by playing defense?

3. Introduce chemical or nuclear weapons to the battlefield? Would his military officers follow through? Would it lead to a coup?

4. Lose complete control and fall victim to coup?

If Russia has trashed this so bad over 6.5 months in mostly good weather, wait until their old and inexperienced guys are supposed to be on guard duty in frigid conditions. Ukes will have a turkey shoot going on just for fun.

The already crappy Russian supplies have likely been thoroughly exhausted.
I'm assuming the winter would effect operations on both sides. Could the Ukes even sufficiently move around their artillery, HIMARS, etc. to effectively hit Russian defensive forces?

At the start of the conflict, the Ukranians proved to be vastly superior logistically at the absolutely most sloppiest (that's what she said) time of year in Ukraine - the winter thaw.
fullback44
AG
Has anyone heard or seen postings from James Vasquez lately? I know he went back into action but I haven't seen any postings from him? Just curious
Waffledynamics
AG
He last replied to someone on Twitter on 9/11.
GeorgiAg
AG
This whole thread is interesting and a good read.

fullback44
AG
Waffledynamics said:

He last replied to someone on Twitter on 9/11.
Ahh .. just found it, looks like he's going and getting vehicles for the guys in the field, maybe helping with logistics these days

https://twitter.com/jmvasquez1974
Waffledynamics
AG
SwigAg11
AG
GeorgiAg said:

That was a good read. It will be fascinating to see how much of that analysis comes true.
Waffledynamics
AG
Waffledynamics
AG
74OA
AG
Today's SITREP.
GAC06
AG
GeorgiAg said:

Couple problems with that, one: it's very unlikely Ukraine is going to pay us back for our assistance and equipment. Total pipedream. Two: he lists HIMARS as an example of obsolete equipment we're sending which isn't even close. That's a relatively new, top of the line system.
fullback44
AG
If he's saying HIMARS are obsolete you have to wonder what this guy is saying ? Does t seem to intelligent
First Page Last Page
Page 743 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.