***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,613,901 Views | 47853 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by 74OA
SouthTex99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who?mikejones!
SouthTex99 said:

#3 is the fastest way to invite NATO to the party. And NATO won't stop in Ukraine.

Oh I agree it would be the dumbest option for putin to make, but, backed into a corner at risk of losing everything, I could see him making a rash decision.

I question whether the button pushers would actually follow the order and push the button
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

I'd imagine the ukes are trying to push their momentum to capture all they can before fall/winter weather mucks things up.

If they time it right, they can push Russia out and use winter as a helpful time to build up defenses for a major russian counter attack.

The wild card here is putin. What's he going to do?

1. Declare actual war, institute a draft and try to actually overwhelm the ukes, at least in the east/south east? Of course, this would mean pulling troops/recruits from Moscow and St. Petersburg which could escalate any internal resistance.

2. Throw everything he has into the donbass and Crimea regions, say the special operation is over and attempt to not lose any ill-goten gains by playing defense?

3. Introduce chemical or nuclear weapons to the battlefield? Would his military officers follow through? Would it lead to a coup?

4. Lose complete control and fall victim to coup?

If Russia has trashed this so bad over 6.5 months in mostly good weather, wait until their old and inexperienced guys are supposed to be on guard duty in frigid conditions. Ukes will have a turkey shoot going on just for fun.

The already crappy Russian supplies have likely been thoroughly exhausted.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
SwigAg11
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Agthatbuilds said:

I'd imagine the ukes are trying to push their momentum to capture all they can before fall/winter weather mucks things up.

If they time it right, they can push Russia out and use winter as a helpful time to build up defenses for a major russian counter attack.

1. Declare actual war, institute a draft and try to actually overwhelm the ukes, at least in the east/south east? Of course, this would mean pulling troops/recruits from Moscow and St. Petersburg which could escalate any internal resistance.

2. Throw everything he has into the donbass and Crimea regions, say the special operation is over and attempt to not lose any ill-goten gains by playing defense?

3. Introduce chemical or nuclear weapons to the battlefield? Would his military officers follow through? Would it lead to a coup?

If Russia has trashed this so bad over 6.5 months in mostly good weather, wait until their old and inexperienced guys are supposed to be on guard duty in frigid conditions. Ukes will have a turkey shoot going on just for fun.

I'm assuming the winter would effect operations on both sides. Could the Ukes even sufficiently move around their artillery, HIMARS, etc. to effectively hit Russian defensive forces?
GeorgiAg
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

SouthTex99 said:

#3 is the fastest way to invite NATO to the party. And NATO won't stop in Ukraine.

Oh I agree it would be the dumbest option for putin to make, but, backed into a corner at risk of losing everything, I could see him making a rash decision.

I question whether the button pushers would actually follow the order and push the button
That probably also leads to him accidentally falling out of a window in short order.
Who?mikejones!
SwigAg11 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

I'm assuming the winter would effect operations on both sides. Could the Ukes even sufficiently move around their artillery, HIMARS, etc. to effectively hit Russian defensive forces?

That is my point. The ukes push to the very edge of the ability right now and gain as much as they can before fall/winter. I dont see how russia would be capable of mounting any counter attack for many weeks at the current moment.

Then, as the weather changes making attacking a much more difficult proposition, they use the poor weather to build up their defenses.

They can use the weather like a basketball team uses the out of bounds line as a 6th defender.
Demosthenes81
AG
If I remember my WW2 correctly, winter is actually a time for offensive movement. Once the ground freezes tracked vehicles can move, maybe not with the speed of summer but it is not zero either. Spring thaw is actually a time of stagnant operations where the mud prevents off road movement. Now being on the defensive in the dead of winter is probably worse than being on offense.
Seven and three are ten, not only now, but forever. There has never been a time when seven and three were not ten, nor will there ever be a time when they are not ten. Therefore, I have said that the truth of number is incorruptible and common to all who think. — St. Augustine
Who?mikejones!
GeorgiAg said:

Agthatbuilds said:

SouthTex99 said:

That probably also leads to him accidentally falling out of a window in short order.

It's like the 2nd leading cause of death in Russia. It happens.
aezmvp
Demosthenes81 said:

If I remember my WW2 correctly, winter is actually a time for offensive movement. Once the ground freezes tracked vehicles can move, maybe not with the speed of summer but it is not zero either. Spring thaw is actually a time of stagnant operations where the mud prevents off road movement. Now being on the defensive in the dead of winter is probably worse than being on offense.
Depends on where. The frost line has to be deep enough that you don't crack through to mud. These tanks are 30-40 tons. AFV are lighter and more capable during winter but yeah you have to freeze that ground hard.
jobu93
AG
Back in the Soviet Era a Premier would go to his vm vacation home and either develop a terminal illness or just never come back.

Maybe Sochi is Putins "retirement".
PA24
AG
He needs to put a bullet to his brain, he has been humiliated on the world stage. He can't get past this.
FamousAgg
Maybe his vacation home is set up with a nice gas leak or something, you never know
Who?mikejones!
Demosthenes81 said:

It can, but, a cold winter can bring so many other issues like iced over roads, mud, frozen Infantry.

Hilter delayed his invasion of russia by about 6 weeks in 1941, and ended up starting in late June instead of early May.

Then fall rain made mud so bad movement slowed greatly. Then a very cold winter caused frostbite, impassable roads and fields, frozen weapons and so on. In general, everything is harder in winter conditions, especially when gearing up for an offensive.

You could look at the Battle of the bulge adsan example as well, but to the opposite of my point. The Germans were able to mount a massive surprise offensive in the dead of winter using the weather as cover for their buildup.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
SwigAg11 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

We need to look at the last 6.5 months and I'm no military historian, just a casual novice. Who has been better organized and been able to adapt? Who has not learned from a single error? We well know about the Ukrainian Tractor Corps when needed. When conditions go to ****, I'm betting on one side that has hardened fighters, not a bunch of old or fat or green call ups since all their early men and equipment have been churned through the meat grinder.

I'm thinking the Ukes would love to terrorize these guys across frozen rivers or fields with their drone army dropping little surprises in the middle of the night. Imagine you already can't sleep, hungry, freezing, pissed off and the enemy is able to blow up the trench you are trying not to die in.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
jobu93
AG
I think a couple of pages back was a tally of what was captured/destroyed. The captured seemed to be quite higher- speaks to the resolve of the conscript.

Even black on fuel/ammo they'd still fight SOME but it doesn't seem to be the case.
Bag
AG
so, does anyone have a succinct current status of the overall war? its hard to understand who is winning at this point/
Waffledynamics
AG
Bag said:

so, does anyone have a succinct current status of the overall war? its hard to understand who is winning at this point/

Russia's getting their asses handed to them at the moment. Ukraine just took back a lot of land in the Northeast and is threatening the South.
javajaws
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Bag said:

Russia's getting their asses handed to them at the moment. Ukraine just took back a lot of land in the Northeast and is threatening the South.
But Russia still holds significant Ukraine land. I think this current offensive has taken back, what, less than 10% of what they have lost so far (not including Crimea)? Anybody have a better estimate?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Waffledynamics
AG
Russia is halting sending soldiers into Ukraine, and there are some in the Kherson region reportedly negotiating a surrender. The annexation referendums have been reportedly canceled.
MouthBQ98
AG
Russia took a big loss.

BUT

For now, they still hold most of the territory they took. They have fewer resources now and the Ukrainians are getting stronger but this strategic surprise might not be so successful twice. Russia may simply spread out behind more defensible lines and play for time and try to pressure negotiations while they have a decent hand. I doubt they press for more except in The east, and that's what they might attempt to bargain for.

It's going to be a battle of how much misery the Russians will suffer versus the Ukrainians resolve.

Also, Stalin went to his countryside Dachas many times and always came back. I think Putin has to be pretty nervous though.
javajaws
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Russia took a big loss.

BUT

For now, they still hold most of the territory they took. They have fewer resources now and the Ukrainians are getting stronger but this strategic surprise might not be so successful twice. Russia may simply spread out behind more defensible lines and play for time and try to pressure negotiations while they have a decent hand. I doubt they press for more except in The east, and that's what they might attempt to bargain for.

It's going to be a battle of how much misery the Russians will suffer versus the Ukrainians resolve.

Also, Stalin went to his countryside Dachas many times and always came back. I think Putin has to be pretty nervous though.
If Russia stops offensive operations and tries to harden their lines then that just continues to open them up for point attacks by allowing Ukraine to thin their forces along the line further. They can they allocate more forces in a concentrated area for offensive pushes like they are doing now.

In other words, if Russia wants to sit still they have already lost - they just can't/won't admit it yet.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Who?mikejones!
Almost back to 2016 lines
AgLA06
AG
Bag said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60506682

What that does't show is much of the east was taken in 2014 in addition to Crimea. Ukraine has taken back a lot of what Russia invaded this year.

Here's a time laps of the war. I don't think the average person realizes how much land Ukraine has taken back.

https://www.ft.com/content/4351d5b0-0888-4b47-9368-6bc4dfbccbf5
aezmvp
Waffledynamics said:

Russia is halting sending soldiers into Ukraine, and there are some in the Kherson region reportedly negotiating a surrender. The annexation referendums have been reportedly canceled.
That's been a pretty persistent rumor but my feel in that is that it has the feel of a propoganda campaign.
Who?mikejones!
MouthBQ98 said:

Russia took a big loss.

BUT

Depends on if the Russians can retake control of their retreat. If they can get more organized and consolidate into defensible positions that can be reinforced, then they can probably create a stalemate and try to politically get out of this jam.

Ukraine must continue to push to their limit while they have the momentum if their goal is indeed retake all Ukrainian territory
74OA
AG
The tractor brigade is getting possessive of its war booty.

FamousAgg
Why TF would they allow him to keep the tank?

I understand his frustration, but if anyone needs it it's the uke military.

These could provide really good "decoys" with just a driver, they could make Russia believe an offensive was going one direction. If they could just park them and the Russians don't know if they are manned or not.
74OA
AG
BattleGrackle said:

Why TF would they allow him to keep the tank?

I understand his frustration, but if anyone needs it it's the uke military.

These could provide really good "decoys" with just a driver, they could make Russia believe an offensive was going one direction. If they could just park them and the Russians don't know if they are manned or not.
He's a farmer, not a military strategist. He wants his Russian trophies, is all. Finders-keepers and all that.
Fitch
AG
javajaws said:

Waffledynamics said:

Bag said:

But Russia still holds significant Ukraine land. I think this current offensive has taken back, what, less than 10% of what they have lost so far (not including Crimea)? Anybody have a better estimate?

AgLA06
AG
Yep. They've taken back more land than Russia has been able to hold so far in this war.

And yet people have no clue.
javajaws
AG
Fitch said:

javajaws said:

Waffledynamics said:

Bag said:

My bad, I should have been more precise...I meant 10% of what Russia had held a couple weeks ago...not from the beginning of the war or from Russia's maximal gains sometime between then and now.
PJYoung
AG
AgLA06
AG
Don't see your point. In a week they undid what took the supposed second greatest military 3 months to take in a meat grinder.
PJYoung
AG
PJYoung
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 741 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.