***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,536,833 Views | 47716 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by 74OA
CondensedFogAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Apparently eatin' chips and fire'n grads go well together
CondensedFogAggie

Yeah no wonder the eastern front is in more or less a stalemate. Jesus.
CondensedFogAggie

Give'em all the artillery, end this useless war.
CondensedFogAggie

FH70 howitzer enters the fight in Ukraine

Quote:

The Ukrainian Ministry of Defense confirmed that recently received towed FH70 howitzers were used in combat operations against Russian targets.

The FH70 is a powerful 155mm howitzer jointly developed by the United Kingdom, Italy and Germany. It uses a 155mm 39-caliber ordnance with a double baffle muzzle brake and sliding breech block.

The maximum range is about 30 km. The loading system is semi-automatic, and consists of a loading tray and an automatic tube loader, which operate at any elevation or traversal. The howitzer is operated by a crew of 8 soldiers, while the minimum combat team is 4 men. It is fitted with a VW engine and so can also operate as a self-propelled gun over short distances.
Quote:

For example, "on board" the FH70 there is … Volkswagen's own 1700 cc engine, which feeds the hydraulics of the gun when it is set in firing position or stowed. In addition, this engine allows the FH70… to move independently, without a tractor for distances up to 20 km at low speeds. That is, the FH70 is a towed, but still self-propelled howitzer.

In addition, thanks to the semi-automatic loading mechanism, the howitzer can fire a round of 3 shots in 15-20 seconds. In normal mode, a trained crew can maintain a firing rate of 6 shots per minute. This is very good for a 155 mm howitzer.

https://defence-blog.com/powerful-fh70-howitzers-enters-the-fight-in-ukraine/

https://mezha.media/en/2022/05/16/fh70-an-interesting-155-mm-italian-howitzer-for-the-armed-forces/
ABATTBQ11
AG
This. The usefulness entirely depends on the munitions.
74OA
AG
Army working hard to restock Stingers and Javelins sent to Ukraine. CONTRACT
74OA
AG
nm
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Russia is unfortunately rocking and rolling in the Donbas right now. They took Lyman and are seriously threatening the whole thing. I don't recall if it is elevated and well defensible.

If the 7:1 ratio of Russian to Ukrainian troops is legitimate, then what realistically can Ukraine do to stop the Russian advances?
Uks fight for their freedom! Equals 7-1.
CondensedFogAggie
JFABNRGR said:

CondensedFoggyAggie said:

The realism, and the danger is surreal. Take care of yourself guys.

Were they too close for the weapon to arm itself?

Actually, looks like they severely damaged the Russian vehicle. Here's a video showing the hit. Happens around the 36 second mark.

CondensedFogAggie

Nice use of ATV's across the plains of Ukraine.

CondensedFogAggie

Completed recently in Kyiv

CondensedFogAggie
https://instagr.am/p/CeCDpzPvhiv
Quote:

"The best way to work on the enemy (attack) is when they cross roads in the open. Most roads here are wide and taken more than 20-30 long steps to cross, and they will cross all together in one group.

My group learned quickly to use these opportunities when we were defending an area. We allowed them to cross halfway across the road before we fired. This way, the entire unit would be in the open at once. If you work on them too early, the others won't run into the road. If you work on them too late, you will not have as many enemies to work on.

The best is when the first man is halfway across. You can work on them with the AK-74 or machine gun and get at least one every single time. It is much harder to work on enemies inside of buildings. It's easier when they try to cross into new areas. They can be brave but they are not very smart.

For us, one man leans around a wall and works on an area with his weapon. While he does this, the others cross behind him to move safely. If we start getting shot at, the man leaning at the starting point can cover us as we advance or retreat. I never saw the enemies do this and it seemed like such a simple and obvious thing to do."

- Ukrainian Soldier. Siege of Mariupol. April 25th, 2022.
CondensedFogAggie
https://instagr.am/p/CeABxEYrmnB
Quote:

"I arrived in Ukraine within the first 10 days of the invasion. Being a prior infantry Marine, with years of experience working in the Emergency room, I felt I couldn't just sit and watch this go down on TV so I booked a flight to Poland that left in two days.

Nothing could have prepared me for what I was to experience. It took me two days from the time I got into Ukraine to be in my first firefight on the outskirts of Kyiv. I was one of the first members of the newly formed international foreign legion of Ukraine. I can confidently say that drones are a game changer in war.

When I joined the Marine Corps we didn't even have protocols for drones. Now they were flying maybe 1520 feet right above our heads watching our movements and likely used to bracket our positions. We were told we were fighting their VDV airborne units who were dropping in consistently and maneuvering around us. At one point, they were on our right and left flanks while they were keeping us in place with a heavy shelling. At night time they were shooting up illumination rounds and and moving about.

There was dead bodies within feet of us, there was no way to really get them out, our injured have no choice but to stay in the fight. Being a medic I know I had a target on my back and there was many instances where I had what I believe the snipers missing me by inches. Crazy thing about my experience is almost from one day to the next I am back in sunny Southern California. Back to my regular life, the same homeless people on the street, same people in the hospital complaining about the smallest things. It's like I never left.

We don't know how good we have it here…I want to go back.
I got this tattoo of the logo for the international foreign legion since this experienced left an impact on my life."

- Western Volunteer. Invasion of Ukraine. March 11th, 2022.
WesMaroon&White
AG
EastSideAg2002
WesMaroon&White said:

jeebus
74OA
AG
EastSideAg2002 said:

WesMaroon&White said:

jeebus
Yep. One jeebus for artillery accuracy. A second jeebus for yet another Ukrainian town torn up in defense.
74OA
AG
Here's an interesting insight to the true state of the once-vaunted Russian military. It's apparently dependent on old, recycled microchips from China and electronic components scavenged from civilian appliances. So, it appears those washing machine heists by Russian soldiers were actually field resupply missions, not looting.

Explains a Lot
Waffledynamics
AG
New video from our fellow in Ukraine.

The Russians blew the bridge between Lysychansk and Severodonetsk.

Ukraine has counterattacked and taken some land back East of Bakhmut.

74OA
AG
Today's SITREP.
ABATTBQ11
AG
WesMaroon&White said:

That last guy though..
Waffledynamics
AG
What do they mean by "Combat-utilizing Russians"? Are they saying the Ukrainians are sending captured Russians into battle?
Eliminatus
AG
Waffledynamics said:

What do they mean by "Combat-utilizing Russians"? Are they saying the Ukrainians are sending captured Russians into battle?

Another way is saying killing I think. I've seen several terms used by the Ukes now. Some are tongue in cheek I think and others may be bad translations.

We used to say "process".
80sGeorge
AG
They are utilizing Russians for artillery catchers
nortex97
AG
Interesting analyses of the artillery situation, and Glantz' reference to 1943 history of the Donbas being the graveyard of soviet armor back in WW2 as well is something I didn't know about.
JFABNRGR
AG
I find it fascinating how much clean up, restoration, rescue the Ukrainians are conducting during active war. Their character and resolve as a country along with global aid will get them through this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RussiaUkraineWar2022/comments/uzdtsx/ukrainian_eod_work_outside_of_kyiv/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
74OA
AG
UPDATE
benchmark
AG
74OA said:

UPDATE
JFABNRGR
AG

I think this might be the lead up to the hit on the Armor. Pretty intense, seems like the Brit is charge of the platoon (PL). One of their guys is wounded and he needs to delegate more which is likely a language barrier. This group hasn't spent a whole lot of time training or fighting together but ultimately you have to go to war with what you have and God Bless them for it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/uzota0/footage_from_a_british_mps_son_ben_grant_fighting/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Sounds like the wounded soldier speaks spanish "no problema, no problema".
74OA
AG
txags92
AG
Can we suspend the sanctions so that Japan can send a bunch of those to Moscow so they understand how the rest of the world views their military?
74OA
AG
Ukraine Round-Up.
PJYoung
AG
JFABNRGR said:

I think this might be the lead up to the hit on the Armor. Pretty intense, seems like the Brit is charge of the platoon (PL). One of their guys is wounded and he needs to delegate more which is likely a language barrier. This group hasn't spent a whole lot of time training or fighting together but ultimately you have to go to war with what you have and God Bless them for it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CombatFootage/comments/uzota0/footage_from_a_british_mps_son_ben_grant_fighting/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Sounds like the wounded soldier speaks spanish "no problema, no problema".

Quote:

He said he believes they were spotted by drones beforehand and the Russians had set up their lines so that when they went in, a "mass firefight broke out".

He added: "I was terrified but driven to complete my most important goal, which at the time was getting him and my team out of the danger.

"What was so scary was being so limited by trying to carry someone, when I can't pull my weapon up, while there are attack helicopters overhead and tanks firing through the woods. It was unreal I've never experienced anything like that in my life."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/may/28/british-tory-mp-son-ben-grant-saves-fellow-volunteer-ukraine-russia
WesMaroon&White
AG
WesMaroon&White
AG
aggiehawg
AG
WesMaroon&White said:

Okay, help me out here. Is that real? or what is gun and what is background stuff?
First Page Last Page
Page 627 of 1364

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.