***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,537,061 Views | 47716 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by 74OA
CondensedFogAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Rossticus
CondensedFoggyAggie said:

Waffledynamics said:

I'm surprised we haven't seen a big Ukrainian offensive on Kherson yet. If the stories about thousands of troops amassing by Mykolaiv are true, you have to wonder if they will do that in order to try and take Kherson back as well as possibly force the Russians to divert forces from the East.

A video popped up yesterday of a Russian drone taking out ~10 Uke troops, which I'm hesitating to post here, but will if someone would like to know for informative purposes and better knowin the enemy.

But yeah it's going to be a bloody struggle, something at least for me is easy to underestimate since we almost only post positive Uke stuff here.

Yep. Ukraine had a relative advantage when Russia was overextending themselves and attempting a grand invasion on every front. Now that they've narrowed their focus and forced Ukraine into a toe to toe slugfest, Russia has the upper hand. This will be a long, bloody, conventional war.

As terrible as this is, add in the additional elements that WW2 entailed and you realize that modern society truly has no concept of the horror and sacrifice involved in prosecuting conventional warfare on even a continental scale, much less global.
74OA
AG
Russia using food as blackmail, too.

CondensedFogAggie
74OA said:

We're blessed with relatively large amounts of arable land, and the best, most advanced farmers on the planet, but I weep for the countries that are about to enter, or already in a horrible food crisis.

AlaskanAg99
AG
No wonder Turkey is pushing back against NATO. Russia is holding food over their head.

And this is why WWIII is on the table. It may not be direct action due to Russia, but civil unrest and countries going to war with their neighbor is definitely a possibility.
benchmark
AG
74OA said:

Not shown in this graph ... wheat is 30% of the avg daily caloric intake in Egypt.

Eliminatus
AG
Seeing an uptick of Javelin videos again.

I think the Ukes we're saving them for the open plains, which of course makes complete sense.

Some recent footage. May even be the same guy every time like it claims to be.

Such an amazing weapons system. It's single drawback is the cost. It's gotten cheaper but still expensive. But it can turn any soldier into an anti armor sniper with an incredible success rate. Easy as hell to use. I can take any reasonably intelligent person off the street and have them proficient in the use of a Javelin in under an hour.

Enjoy:

P.U.T.U
AG
Russia is going to fight like their mascot, bears just sit there and maul each other until one dies.

The Javelin is awesome and flexible but the cost and due to that not many countries have them. You can airburst them which will be helpful with both sides starting to trench in.
AGS-R-TUFF
AG
74OA said:

Well in the unlikely to ever happen category…

The US and the UK should announce that they are sending in Naval Armadas to provide safe passage out of the Black Sea for this prebought grain to it's rightful destination. And if any Russian vessel interferes with this mission, they will find themselves reunited with the Moskva.

Nagler
AG
Eliminatus said:

Seeing an uptick of Javelin videos again.

I think the Ukes we're saving them for the open plains, which of course makes complete sense.

Some recent footage. May even be the same guy every time like it claims to be.

Such an amazing weapons system. It's single drawback is the cost. It's gotten cheaper but still expensive. But it can turn any soldier into an anti armor sniper with an incredible success rate. Easy as hell to use. I can take any reasonably intelligent person off the street and have them proficient in the use of a Javelin in under an hour.

Enjoy:

Every time I see one of those just kind of flop out of the tube I think of this gif.

Always take me a second to realize that it's not a dud.
AgBQ-00
AG
The javelin is such an amazing weapon.
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
lb3
AG
AGS-R-TUFF said:

74OA said:

Well in the unlikely to ever happen category…

The US and the UK should announce that they are sending in Naval Armadas to provide safe passage out of the Black Sea for this prebought grain to it's rightful destination. And if any Russian vessel interferes with this mission, they will find themselves reunited with the Moskva.

The Black Sea is closed to foreign warships. I don't think we would go to war against a NATO country to open the ports in Odessa.
74OA
AG
UPDATE
ABATTBQ11
AG
We could tell them that commercial shipping is under our protection and that any attack will be met in kind, up to and including the destruction of vessels and port facilities using aircraft or land based missiles. Without the Moskva, their anti-aircraft range is fairly limited from a naval perspective. Subs would be much harder to defend against, but we know where they live. It's just a matter of time until they go home.
Waffledynamics
AG
CondensedFogAggie

The realism, and the danger is surreal. Take care of yourself guys.
CondensedFogAggie

Hit it.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Those really could be game changers depending on the munitions sent.
CondensedFogAggie

A helmet bought by overseas donations stopped a sniper bullet. Awesome
CondensedFogAggie

What the ****. This is straight up dystopian
CondensedFogAggie

Russia still has an unreal arsenal of artillery, hope France gives them as much as they can. These look incredible
JFABNRGR
AG

The realism, and the danger is surreal. Take care of yourself guys.

Were they too close for the weapon to arm itself?
Ulysses90
AG

Russia still has an unreal arsenal of artillery, hope France gives them as much as they can. These look incredible
The Caesar is a great weapon. It has a 50 caliber length tube and can "shoot & scoot" much faster than towed howitzers such as the M777 which has only a 40 caliber length tube. Caesars also carry their basic load of ammo on the vehicle. They can fire the first round within about two minutes of when the wheels stop turning and it can displace in less than a minute after the last round is fired.

My personal belief is that the only reason the Marine Corps didn't buy a wheeled gun like the Caesar 20 years ago is because they could not embark it on a C-130 or underneath and Osprey. That's kind of a weak justification when you consider that neither a C-130 nor an Osprey can lift the truck that tows an M777. What good is air transport of a gun if you can't also air transport the ammo and prime mover with it?
GarryowenAg
AG
Great thread read on Donbas front if you have Twitter. Unfortunately I don't know how to do that roll up that some of y'all do.
Ulysses90
AG
Just paste the URL for the Twitter thread into threadreaderapp.com.
74OA
AG

74OA said:

We're blessed with relatively large amounts of arable land, and the best, most advanced farmers on the planet, but I weep for the countries that are about to enter, or already in a horrible food crisis.

The Economist: "Russia and Ukraine supply 28% of globally traded wheat, 29% of the barley, 15% of the maize and 75% of the sunflower oil. Russia and Ukraine contribute about half the cereals imported by Lebanon and Tunisia; for Libya and Egypt the figure is two-thirds. Ukraine's food exports provide the calories to feed 400M people."

In combination with a terrible harvest last year in China, an ongoing extreme heatwave in India and low seasonal rains in the US and Europe this spring, it's building into a perfect storm for poor countries dependent on grain imports to survive.
Waffledynamics
AG
Russia is unfortunately rocking and rolling in the Donbas right now. They took Lyman and are seriously threatening the whole thing. I don't recall if it is elevated and well defensible.

If the 7:1 ratio of Russian to Ukrainian troops is legitimate, then what realistically can Ukraine do to stop the Russian advances?
AgLA06
AG
Did you not watch the video you posted above. They're falling back to a more defensible position with better terrain.
Ulysses90
AG

Hit it.
I guess General Berger's garage sale is still digging up unneeded hardware.
Waffledynamics
AG
I did watch it, but my question is more about how to ensure that more defensible position is adequate. I recall seeing something about typically needing at least a 3:1 ratio for offense to have a chance. If they're at 7+:1, would even the more defensible positions be sufficient? They've been moving to more defensible positions a lot, and I imagine that number of Russian troops will mean Russia holding the ground will be easier due to the easier logistics in the East.

Unfortunately, I can't watch it again right now, but I don't think that video quite addressed my question.
javajaws
AG
Waffledynamics said:

I did watch it, but my question is more about how to ensure that more defensible position is adequate. I recall seeing something about typically needing at least a 3:1 ratio for offense to have a chance. If they're at 7+:1, would even the more defensible positions be sufficient? They've been moving to more defensible positions a lot, and I imagine that number of Russian troops will mean holding the ground will be easier due to the easier logistics in the East.

Unfortunately, I can't watch it again right now, but I don't think that video quite addressed my question.
I'm not entirely sure how accurate that 3:1 ratio is for the current state of Russian troops in the region. 7:1 may not even be enough. It's kind of like football: that's why they play the games!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
MouthBQ98
AG
Once they break out of an area, it becomes an issue of mobility and to establish the next line of defense before the attack can reach it.
Ulysses90
AG
Waffledynamics said:

I did watch it, but my question is more about how to ensure that more defensible position is adequate. I recall seeing something about typically needing at least a 3:1 ratio for offense to have a chance. If they're at 7+:1, would even the more defensible positions be sufficient? They've been moving to more defensible positions a lot, and I imagine that number of Russian troops will mean Russia holding the ground will be easier due to the easier logistics in the East.

If indeed the Ukrainians are facing a local superiority of 7:1 in forces, they are continuing to overperform. They should not be pressing an offensive on that front (unless they see the opportunity for a penetration and cutting Russian supply lines). A mobile defense is the preferred tactic under those circumstances. Maneuver can bring the opportunity to retake the ground that you cede while you look for the opportunity to regain local superiority.

Sun Tzu said in book 6: "Should the enemy strengthen his van, he will weaken his rear; should he strengthen his rear, he will weaken his van; should he strengthen his left, he will weaken his right; should he strengthen his right, he will weaken his left. If he sends reinforcements everywhere, he will everywhere be weak."

Also, "Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak."
74OA
AG

Hit it.
The devil is always in the details. HIMARS/MLRS
JFABNRGR
AG
Ulysses90 said:

Waffledynamics said:

If indeed the Ukrainians are facing a local superiority of 7:1 in forces, they are continuing to overperform. They should not be pressing an offensive on that front (unless they see the opportunity for a penetration and cutting Russian supply lines). A mobile defense is the preferred tactic under those circumstances. Maneuver can bring the opportunity to retake the ground that you cede while you look for the opportunity to regain local superiority.

Sun Tzu said in book 6: "Should the enemy strengthen his van, he will weaken his rear; should he strengthen his rear, he will weaken his van; should he strengthen his left, he will weaken his right; should he strengthen his right, he will weaken his left. If he sends reinforcements everywhere, he will everywhere be weak."

Also, "Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak."

This right here above.

This area is the only axis they have any success and its been limited. Still seeing 3:1+ losses if orcs to Ukes. Given this area with some local previous support and shear numbers they have been able to be effective with their indirect fire supporting forward movement. On the ground this looks like: improved coms, 24/7 indirect fire support, maintenance and movement of that fire support. Meanwhile they send out cannon fodder to locate targets as they continue to lose recon drones.

The himmars and counter battery radars would be very helpful and I can't understand why those weapons haven't been sent in mass already. Even with what they have orcs will get chewed up worse approaching elevated ground.
First Page Last Page
Page 626 of 1364

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.