***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,536,960 Views | 47716 Replies | Last: 16 hrs ago by 74OA
CondensedFogAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Quote:

Oleksiy Arestovych is a Ukrainian presidential adviser, blogger, actor, political and military columnist.
MouthBQ98
AG
They will try to keep them out of direct action of course, but the T-62 is a T-54/55 derivative or evolution that is meant to be operated by a conscript army. There's going to be a major problem with training and inexperience deploying these, probably to soldiers with little armor experience if any and led by leaders with the same issue.

These are halt to fire tanks without advanced targeting and stabilization, that are manually trained and can't track while moving, and use optical range finding, using ancient ammunition with relatively vulnerable armor to HEAT type weapons of all types. The 115 is a reasonably capable gun but it's ammunition is old and obsolescent and will be underpowered due to age deterioration of propellant. The ammunition storage is terribly unprotected. Spare parts will be limited, perhaps to cannibalizing broken down vehicles for spares. It's a fairly reliable vehicle, somewhat offsetting that issue.

They can be effective if properly employed in circumstances that don't ask them to do more than they can reasonably do, in inactive or rear areas, to free up better equipped forces, but using them in front line action would be a disaster.

Without armored infantry to move with and protect them, they will be savaged by antitank weapons.
CondensedFogAggie
CondensedFogAggie
CondensedFogAggie

I didn't know the switchblades were that compact. When are the 600 series going to be approved.
CondensedFogAggie

Pretty intense, let's hope the Ukes curb the Russian advance.
GarryowenAg
AG
GarryowenAg
AG
GarryowenAg
AG
Who?mikejones!
GarryowenAg said:

Back to the don't want to step on putins toes mantra
GarryowenAg
AG

Not good ratios
Waffledynamics
AG
GarryowenAg said:

Not good ratios
Ukraine needs allied troops, and it sadly won't get them.
wtmartinaggie
AG
As the war grinds on, supplies become scarce and resupply can become inconsistent. That tank may be 40 years old, but even if you have a brand new rifle if you dont have a javelin to take it out it's the scariest thing you've ever encountered and all you can do is RUN.
Faustus
Jayhawk said:

docb said:

Rossticus said:

Of all the countries that you'd think would want to aid in stopping genocide. WOW!
Israel makes cold realist moves that improve Israel's position. Israel doesn't care about the narratives it uses on credulous elderly Fox News viewers during those commercials. Israel has an Israel First foreign policy. America is a useful part of the equation, but it has to make moves recognizing the possibility that it may come to pass that this is no longer the case. Same reason Israel shares certain U.S. military technology with China.

We gave Israel the pass to take this stance with Russia given the countries' understanding in Syria. If we'd have insisted Israel would have gone along.
Eliminatus
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

GarryowenAg said:

Back to the don't want to step on putins toes mantra

Sadly this is the way the world is. Held hostage by the lunatic actions of a madman and have been for some time. For all his faults and sins, Putin still manages to make the world dance to his tune.

Infuriating. Doubly so because I understand it. I don't always agree with it, but I understand the situation.

This is also why we need to see this through for the Ukes. Russia needs to pay. Period. They need to be ground into the dirt and have the boot kept on their neck for the next century. They have done too much damage to this world and show no signs of stopping. Russia destabilizes the world, constantly. We can't do it ourselves but we can help this who are fighting them. We need to help the Ukes because it is the right thing to do but moreover, strategically speaking, it is so incredibly beneficial to us as well. It saddens me so many can't see this. $80 Billion is a lot, yes. Some or even most of it is corrupt, also yes. But it is still the best money we have spent on defence in at least four generations, bar none. Our grandfather's would have sold our fathers for a chance to take Russia down a few pegs for that amount of money. The amount of casualties and damage done to Russia to date, in exchange for our help to date in keeping the Ukes in the fight is worth it IMO. Not even a question.

Not to mention all the nuance of that aid money. It's not just throwing cash pallets at the Ukes....
AgBank
AG
Certainly a threat during peace time, but Putin will likely be very busy the rest of his life.

I imagine this has as much to do with energy logistics than any real threats to Germans etc.
74OA
AG
UPDATE
P.U.T.U
AG
Rossticus said:

Israel does not think the same way we do and is why they are still around, we think the enemy of my enemy is my friend, that is broken logic. The USA has helped Iran, Iraq, and Afghanistan in wars, actually helped Iran and Iraq fight each other at the same time. Years later they use the tactics and tools we provided to fight us.

Israel is surrounded by countries that are dead set on removing them from the planet, they have to be more strategic than we do being separated by an ocean. If they provide weapons to Ukraine it becomes open season in places like Syria where they currently have an agreement not to fight.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Israel's view isn't 'never again', its 'never again to us.' They aren't going to become the world's police officers. They're just going to arm themselves to the teeth, protect their interests, and make business deals that help them on their own objectives.

74OA
AG
More on Russia resorting to using 50-year-old tanks. T-62
sclaff
AG

Waffledynamics
AG
I'm surprised we haven't seen a big Ukrainian offensive on Kherson yet. If the stories about thousands of troops amassing by Mykolaiv are true, you have to wonder if they will do that in order to try and take Kherson back as well as possibly force the Russians to divert forces from the East.
GarryowenAg
AG
Zobel
AG
The more artillery-centric this gets the more it goes advantage: Russia
AlaskanAg99
AG
Maybe, buy when the counter artillery batteries are functional that may be a game changer. Same with drone directed artillery, esp with the more modern guns being able to out range the Soviet hardware.
Ulysses90
AG
Zobel said:

That's not necessarily true. Russia has the asymmetric ability to destroy Ukrainian cities and civilians with artillery but they are having a muck more difficult time putting effective fires on the Ukrainian army and especially the Ukrainian artillery. The Ukrainians are disbursing individual tubes at a distance that makes them difficult for Russians to target effectively because the Russian counter fire doctrine is to target battery positions but not individual tubes. The Ukrainians are effectively massing fires without massing guns in a single targetable position.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1523791050313433088.html

Zobel
AG
Yeah the GIS Art for Artillery aspect is amazing and brilliant.
AlaskanAg99
AG
That is absolutely fascinating.
GarryowenAg
AG
https://understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-may-25
74OA
AG
Ulysses90 said:

Zobel said:

That's not necessarily true. Russia has the asymmetric ability to destroy Ukrainian cities and civilians with artillery but they are having a muck more difficult time putting effective fires on the Ukrainian army and especially the Ukrainian artillery. The Ukrainians are disbursing individual tubes at a distance that makes them difficult for Russians to target effectively because the Russian counter fire doctrine is to target battery positions but not individual tubes. The Ukrainians are effectively massing fires without massing guns in a single targetable position.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1523791050313433088.html

To add to that, here's a video I posted earlier of an Austrian staff college officer giving a similar presentation on Ukraine's adaptive use of artillery during the Donbas campaign. (Enable English subtitles: Settings>Subtitles>Auto-Translate>English)

SMART
BQ78
AG
And the more it will be like World War I again. Russian supply can't keep up with any advances they make, so it is capture a little ground and entrench, while logistics catch up. This war is self destructive for the entire world, except maybe China.
nortex97
AG
Rossticus
Full Thread: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1529475217898229766.html

CondensedFogAggie

Open the floodgates.
CondensedFogAggie
Waffledynamics said:

I'm surprised we haven't seen a big Ukrainian offensive on Kherson yet. If the stories about thousands of troops amassing by Mykolaiv are true, you have to wonder if they will do that in order to try and take Kherson back as well as possibly force the Russians to divert forces from the East.

A video popped up yesterday of a Russian drone taking out ~10 Uke troops, which I'm hesitating to post here, but will if someone would like to know for informative purposes and better knowin the enemy.

But yeah it's going to be a bloody struggle, something at least for me is easy to underestimate since we almost only post positive Uke stuff here.
First Page Last Page
Page 625 of 1364

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.