***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,547,230 Views | 47728 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by 74OA
lb3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
P.U.T.U said:

Ukraine has to cut off logistics before they do a major offensive in the area or Russia will keep sending troops and equipment.
I think this is Ukraine's entire strategy from the tactical through strategic levels. Choke the supplies and keep peppering the Russian front lines to deplete any local material and personnel reserves.

As long as western countries keep providing quality weapons and sanctions significantly slow Russia's ability to replenish depleted reserves, they will eventually collapse.

If I were Ukraine I wouldn't attack where Russia is strongest and has spent weeks, months, or even years digging in, I would expand the playing field and put Belgorod within artillery range. It provides an opportunity to further attack a strategic level supply network and will force Russia to move their troops out of Donetsk to protect the motherland at a time and place of the Ukes choosing.
CondensedFogAggie
CondensedFogAggie

74OA
AG
The Ghost of Snake Island. Nice TB2 update.
MouthBQ98
AG
They need to try to threaten to or cut off that concentration in Izyum. It will at minimum force a major Russian redeployment to counter and all the logistical reordering required to do that, which we know they are poor at, and also threaten the major element of their larger encirclement attempt with being cut off and isolated itself.

If they can actually achieve effectively cutting off already low morale forces with unreliable logistics support, they might induce the mass capitulation of what amounts to several brigades with of BTC or at least force them to completely change tasks and deployment.
JFABNRGR
AG
Hopefully they will get to utilize some of these almost 10X the payload.

txags92
AG
Hope so, but they are probably easier to spot and hit with air defenses.
74OA
AG
JFABNRGR said:

Hopefully they will get to utilize some of these almost 10X the payload.

A larger UAV would likely lose one of the TB2's key features: "Although not fully stealthy, the Bayraktar features a low radar cross-section (RCS). Together with its relatively low altitude and slow speed, this makes it difficult for classical radars to track. "It is a low-slow-flyer (LSF), and you know it is a challenge for classical radars to detect LSFs already. And its RCS makes it even harder.""

Rossticus
FamousAgg
This is not what the agreement was, correct?
Rossticus
Information war continues to escalate. IMO, had there been evidence of Ukrainian wrongdoing in Russian occupied territory, Russia would have been reaching out to well known large network foreign journos immediately upon occupation and not waiting weeks/months before attempting to orchestrate a massive and highly curated press parade.

Full Thread: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1526873736670068736.html

Rossticus
BattleGrackle said:

This is not what the agreement was, correct?

No. This was not what was reported to have been negotiated.
Rossticus
Russia co-opting Ukrainian economic assets as fast as they can.

OnlyForNow
AG
So this is what the SkyNet death planes will look like.
CondensedFogAggie

CondensedFogAggie

Good job Poland
CondensedFogAggie
CondensedFogAggie

FamousAgg
If they are NATO members aren't their own troops "NATO troops"?

Do they just want to have foreigners on their soil so there is more skin in the game so to speak?
CondensedFogAggie
BattleGrackle said:

If they are NATO members aren't their own troops "NATO troops"?

Do they just want to have foreigners on their soil so there is more skin in the game so to speak?
Basically, yes.

Also, the hosting government will pay for a good portion of the costs. It's by no means cheap for them.
CondensedFogAggie

The professor himself in this photo speaks:

https://instagr.am/p/CdtP-q1L9bx
Quote:

"I am a professor of Uzhhorod National University, Doctor of Sciences. I've been teaching at the University for 27 years.

On the 24th February I was greatly shocked by what had happened, got to my work and gave three lectures to students and afterwards I got together with my friends and we went to join the Ukrainian Military Forces. In an hour after going through necessary procedures we appeared in the military base.

On that day which is captured on the picture I was giving a lecture on tourismology to my students. I had three lessons after night patrolling without proper sleeping."

- "Fedir" Doctor of Sciences. Ukrainian soldier. Invasion of Ukraine. May 5th, 2022.
CondensedFogAggie

Still a long way to go, Ukraine needs all the modern artillery and shells they can get.

CondensedFogAggie

Rossticus
ATX_AG_08
AG
benchmark
AG
74OA
AG
A detailed look into how dependent Russia is on foreign components to supply its military and the cheating by some nations in defiance of sanctions. HARDWARE
benchmark
AG
74OA said:

A detailed look into how dependent Russia is on foreign components to supply its military and the cheating by some nations in defiance of sanctions. HARDWARE
Good read. Thanks for sharing. A few snippets from this article:
Quote:

In plain English, this means that these items have been purchased and/or shipped to Russia illegally, as their importation was already barred years ago by the sanctions regime imposed on Moscow post-2014. A more restrictive export control regime can be instituted by the US and its allies, but the report points out that it is always possible for Russia to obtain these items by "laundering" them through front-companies in third-party nations. The Czech Republic, Serbia, Armenia, Kazakhstan, Turkey, India, and the PRC are identified by the RUSI report as the most likely candidates, with Ukranian sources pointing to the UAE as another option.

However, there remain nations even within the EU willing to skirt export control restrictions in order to make sales to Russian industry. Classified documents obtained by the investigative reporting site Disclose and published in mid-March reveal that between 2015 and 2020 France had been secretly arming Russia. At the same time French president Emmanuel Macron had been at the forefront to finding a diplomatic solution to prevent an invasion of Ukraine by Russia, France had already issued 76 export licenses for sale to Russia of military equipment worth a total of 152 million ($158 million).
Quote:

However, there is reason to have skepticism that a truly crippling sanctions regime can be maintained against Moscow indefinitely, given the financial and commercial impact on the rest of the world, especially the energy sector.

"There are too many investments particularly by the French and the Germans as well all others for those adversely affected by these embargoes to not look for any and all means to circumvent them," said one long-time Pentagon analyst of Russia's military. "I do not know if these sanctions can be maintained for ten years. I would be surprised if they last six years at the outside."
goatchze
AG
Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread. I enjoy reading it each day and keeping informed.
Rossticus
P.U.T.U
AG
At the end of this, no matter if Russia wins or loses and if Putin is still alive, an operation like Churchill's Operation Unthinkable is tempting. But if that happens I think Russia would use nukes.
FriscoKid
AG
Quote:

Vladimir Putin's top security officials understand that the war in Ukraine is 'lost' and a coup is now a realistic possibility, a Russian analyst has predicted.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10833839/Ukraine-war-Putins-security-officials-know-war-lost-analyst-says.html
Hillary paid for warrant to spy on Trump.
Burrus86
AG
FriscoKid said:

Quote:

Vladimir Putin's top security officials understand that the war in Ukraine is 'lost' and a coup is now a realistic possibility, a Russian analyst has predicted.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10833839/Ukraine-war-Putins-security-officials-know-war-lost-analyst-says.html
Now we will see Putin "eliminate" all of his top security officials.
92AG10
AG
FriscoKid said:

Quote:

If there is any truth to that article it would seem to indicate that the Russian loses are in fact much higher than we may believe. The part about wives and mothers was the nexus for their withdrawal from Afghanistan.
RogerEnright
Quote:

Russia's problem is demographics and culture. They already had ports on the Black Sea
I agree there may be a culture issue with regards to how Russia views external conflicts.

Demographics is a silly reason to go to war and is overstated by the talking heads. Killing off several % of your fertile population is counterproductive.

Despite Russia's historical relationship with war, it is hard for me to believe that Russia would like to send its kids into an external war as a last ditch effort to remain a super power. Again, I think the demographic argument is overstated by the entertaining talking heads.

First Page Last Page
Page 615 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.