***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,547,992 Views | 47728 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by 74OA
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rossticus
Rossticus

Eliminatus
AG
AGS-R-TUFF said:

Eliminatus said:

I still think there are pockets of resistance in Mariupol. Maybe it was just for the wounded that were exchanged?

Pic below is claimed to be yesterday from the depths of the steel plant. Info is still muddled from what I can tell. Anyone have any definitive word? Haven't found any myself yet.

Wow, this is such a powerful image. I had to just sit and stare at it for a few seconds, thinking about the incredible bravery demonstrated by these fighters.

Likewise. It definitely jumped out at me and wanted to post it. I like to think I have gone through some tough times but I can't imagine what those defenders are going through. That steel plant is going down in history.

Honestly though, I don't expect good things for the prisoners. Remember Russia's biggest reason for this whole thing was basically this unit right here. Their very existence was the facade used to continue this war from the Russian perspective. I have a hard time believing Russia is going to let them walk away. Agreed upon Prisoner exchange or not.
Rossticus
Saying that Russia negotiated in bad faith would seem to be the understatement of the year, at this point.

ABATTBQ11
AG
JFABNRGR said:

Ag In Ok said:

Gilligan said:

...and the RuSSians are dropping grenades in a solo cup!

Says so much about innovation - the Ukes 3D print, upgrade mortars, and modernize their drones for military uses. The Russians, who landed on the moon and have hyeprsonics, use high end Dixie cups to drop handheld grenades.
Who is the world power with a technical advantage...
I agree UKR far more creative in their technological uses of munitions and drones but in case there are some who don't understand the reasoning by the cup/glass here's why. It allows the user to pull the safety pin while the cup or the glass holds the spoon in place which prevents the fuze from ignition. Once the cup/glass with grenade impacts the ground and the two separate, the restraint on the spoon (the cup/glass) no longer works and the grenade goes off immediately or up to several seconds depending on the grenade version and how it was set up.

I will be more impressed when they figure out how to air burst the fragmentation munitions over troops increasing their lethality ten fold.

Probably not too hard with an arduino and basic sonar sensor. I'm sure there's better and cheaper electro-mechanical options, but you're really just looking to make a proximity fuse, and that's an easy way.
JFABNRGR
AG
Well that didn't take long....3D printers at work again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/uror4v/ukrainian_forces_continue_to_develop_ways_to/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Looks like something my girls would want to play with or hang from the Christmas tree.
deddog
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

JFABNRGR said:

Ag In Ok said:

Gilligan said:

...and the RuSSians are dropping grenades in a solo cup!

Says so much about innovation - the Ukes 3D print, upgrade mortars, and modernize their drones for military uses. The Russians, who landed on the moon and have hyeprsonics, use high end Dixie cups to drop handheld grenades.
Who is the world power with a technical advantage...
I agree UKR far more creative in their technological uses of munitions and drones but in case there are some who don't understand the reasoning by the cup/glass here's why. It allows the user to pull the safety pin while the cup or the glass holds the spoon in place which prevents the fuze from ignition. Once the cup/glass with grenade impacts the ground and the two separate, the restraint on the spoon (the cup/glass) no longer works and the grenade goes off immediately or up to several seconds depending on the grenade version and how it was set up.

I will be more impressed when they figure out how to air burst the fragmentation munitions over troops increasing their lethality ten fold.

Probably not too hard with an arduino and basic sonar sensor. I'm sure there's better and cheaper electro-mechanical options, but you're really just looking to make a proximity fuse, and that's an easy way.
#LearnToCode ;-)

Russian soldiers are improvising in the field as best they can with Zero support from techies at home because the "special operation" is going on "successfully"

Ukrainian techies are getting real time feedback. Wouldn't surprise me if many are reservists fighting and coming up with clever solutions in the field
AgBQ-00
AG
Massive cargo movements. roll on roll off ships for wheeled/tracked vehicles etc. If heading for Europe it may be back filling for all the equipment given by allies to Ukraine. Could also be prestaging in case of escalation.
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
P.U.T.U
AG
To move equipment or cargo. Troops are typically transported by air assets
JFABNRGR
AG
When you don't have air burst munitions available just drop in the hole.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RussiaUkraineWar2022/comments/urt2w2/ukrainian_missiles_land_directly_onto_the/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Of note. The reaction of the soldiers in the left side of the trench leads me to believe they have already accepted their fate of death, allowing them to be more capable at whatever their current task is, right before it becomes fertilizing the sunflower fields.
rally-cap
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Massive cargo movements. roll on roll off ships for wheeled/tracked vehicles etc. If heading for Europe it may be back filling for all the equipment given by allies to Ukraine. Could also be prestaging in case of escalation.
Disclaimer - I've never used any marine traffic tracking site, so I don't know how accurate they are compared to similar sites for air traffic - but this site shows USNS Soderman headed south of port. I don't know what a typical trans-Atlantic route would look like either, so this may be typical, but I would think it would start heading east, not south.

USNS Soderman Tracking
JFABNRGR
AG
I have all the respect in the world for the Azov fighters who lasted this long in Mariupol and I am shocked russia filmed them like this, though most or all of the russians are covered up pretty well. This leads me to believe they will be exchanged for russian pows. A fair amount of females in this group.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RussiaUkraineWar2022/comments/urspp4/russians_inspect_azov_members_who_surrendered/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
JFABNRGR
AG
I dont either but if i read the track date correctly this info is 5 days old.
txags92
AG
rally-cap said:

AgBQ-00 said:

Disclaimer - I've never used any marine traffic tracking site, so I don't know how accurate they are compared to similar sites for air traffic - but this site shows USNS Soderman headed south of port. I don't know what a typical trans-Atlantic route would look like either, so this may be typical, but I would think it would start heading east, not south.

USNS Soderman Tracking
If it came out of NC and is headed a little west of south, I would think it is more likely it is headed for Panama to go through the canal than going to Europe.
Bird Poo
AG
My step brother deployed to Kuwait on the Soderman. It's a troop carrier, unless it's been reconfigured.
GAC06
AG
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watson-class_vehicle_cargo_ship

It's always been for vehicles and cargo
B-1 83
AG
aggiehawg said:

Rossticus said:

Hope the Russian subs don't start shooting torpedoes at our ships.
Seriously?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
AgBQ-00
AG
Yeah. I don't know. It could be going anywhere but if it is heading to the Med it would have to go that way. All we know for sure is that a US Navy cargo ship is going somewhere.
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
MeatDr
AG
CondensedFogAggie
CondensedFogAggie

Hope one day this man will come speak to the students in College Station.
CondensedFogAggie
JFABNRGR said:

Great explanation. Here's what the Ukes are working on lately.

BBRex
AG
rally-cap said:

AgBQ-00 said:

USNS Soderman Tracking
If it's headed to Europe, it would probably go north and east to follow a great circle route.
Ag In Ok
AG
Matched to a $10k delivery platform with decent range, this is amazing. What success has either side had in taking down drones that are several hundred feet up, controlled a mile or two away?
I can only think of the damage 100 of these would do if they could operate simultaneously- i assume bandwidth literally is the constraint.
txags92
AG
Ag In Ok said:

Matched to a $10k delivery platform with decent range, this is amazing. What success has either side had in taking down drones that are several hundred feet up, controlled a mile or two away?
I can only think of the damage 100 of these would do if they could operate simultaneously- i assume bandwidth literally is the constraint.
I am thinking the next weapon to hit the battlefield will be a HARM type missile designed to be launched like a MANPAD and home in on drone controllers using their radio signals.
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG

ABATTBQ11
AG
txags92 said:

Ag In Ok said:

I am thinking the next weapon to hit the battlefield will be a HARM type missile designed to be launched like a MANPAD and home in on drone controllers using their radio signals.

Many off the shelf drones basically operate in the Wi-Fi range, so good luck.
txags92
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

txags92 said:

Ag In Ok said:

Many off the shelf drones basically operate in the Wi-Fi range, so good luck.
If it is emitting a signal, I am sure there is a way to isolate it. Might not be off-the-shelf equipment, but somebody is working on it I am sure.
lb3
AG
txags92 said:

Ag In Ok said:

Drones can already fly to way-points with no controller input. The next generation of drones will be seeking their own targets. I would expect prototypes to hit the battlefield this fall. If the war continues into 2023, we're going to see some wild battle-tech innovations.
GAC06
AG
Flying to a point without communication isn't useful. I'm sure military tech will have some very scary stuff but commercial off the shelf drones are having a huge impact. Countering them is of the utmost importance and every military is scrambling now.
txags92
AG
GAC06 said:

Flying to a point without communication isn't useful. I'm sure military tech will have some very scary stuff but commercial off the shelf drones are having a huge impact. Countering them is of the utmost importance and every military is scrambling now.
It is if the drone is equipped with the same kind of technology as the Anti Tank missiles to evaluate target shapes and choose where to attack. But then, I wonder how easy those are to spoof with fake models?
GAC06
AG
Yeah if the drone has expensive cutting edge military tech. But that's not the story here. It's about countering cheap, accessible drones.

What's better than an expensive drone that can autonomously recognize targets? A ton of cheap drones that can spot for artillery.
benchmark
AG
lb3 said:

Drones can already fly to way-points with no controller input. The next generation of drones will be seeking their own targets. I would expect prototypes to hit the battlefield this fall. If the war continues into 2023, we're going to see some wild battle-tech innovations.
This. Imagine launch-and-forget drones with active radar imaging and a half-dozen laser guided 'bombs' swarming a battlefield. This is virtually off-the-shelf technology waiting to be packaged into a weapon system.
First Page Last Page
Page 613 of 1365

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.