***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,591,120 Views | 47821 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Tanker123
CondensedFogAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?

'I'm a Former Marine with tours of duty in Mogadishu, Iraq and Afghanistan Training Ukrainians. The Russians Are Worse Than ISIS'

Quote:

My first experience of combat as a Marine was in Mogadishu, Somalia in the '90s and then subsequently I was in the first Marine division during the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003. I have completed tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan, been involved in the evacuation of civilians from Libya in 2011 and commanded a special operations task force against the Islamic State in 2016.

We started off small, with a handful of guys, training Ukrainian Special Operations Forces (SOF) with a focus on resistance, because we were in Kyiv We have been providing basic tactical training: How to handle weapons without shooting yourself. We did do some sniper training, but it was really more marksmanship training.

I've been through Iraq and Afghanistan and I was in Mogadishu before that. I have fought against the Islamic State. I'm not any stranger to how depraved people can become. But I was saying to someone the other day that I have a greater respect for the ethical behavior of the Islamic State than I do for the Russians. That is no exaggeration. I've never committed a war crime, I've always told my guys that we fight with the values we represent, we don't adopt those of our enemy. I don't think of myself as a vicious person, but currently, I'm filled with the deepest contempt and anger.

I was one of the first people in Bucha after the Russian retreat and I saw the bodies dumped there, including kids' bodies. This appears to have been a very, very deliberate approach to killing civilians. People were dragged from their homes and killed, women gang-raped in cellars and executed.
CondensedFogAggie
Rossticus
Ulysses90
AG
Rossticus said:

Interesting article.

Andy Millburn is held in high regard by everyone I know that has worked with him. His perspective on the war is particularly worth reading because of where he is now and the places he's been over the past 30 years.
MeatDr
AG
Love it.
Rossticus
http://www.hisutton.com/Russian-Submarines-Launching-Missiles-Ukraine.html

Jetpilot86
AG
This thread is my first stop every time I land. Many thanks to the contributors!
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG
Poor kids.
BusterAg
AG
MeatDr said:

Nice driving scumbag
htownag10
AG
Pretty sure this thread isn't going to save Ukraine. It's for information. Maybe check the time difference of 9 hours. Stuff dies down during the day and some of us do have other things to do than post on here all day.
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG
Not a Bot
AG
With two chutes it was possibly a Su-34. Su-25 are single seaters.

Just insane that Russia's supposedly high-tech new fighter bomber isn't equipped with advanced targeting pods to keep them high and out of range of manpads.

Likely running low on guided air to ground munitions as well, but they were making these incredibly low passes with Su-34s even at the start of the war.
Who?mikejones!
The ruskies couldnt beat SpaceX

https://breakingdefense.com/2022/04/spacex-beating-russian-jamming-attack-was-eyewatering-dod-official/

Quote:

After SpaceX sent Starlink terminals to Ukraine in February in an apparent effort to help Ukraine maintain its internet connection amid war with Russia, SpaceX founder Elon Musk claimed that Russia had jammed Starlink terminals in the country for hours at a time. After a software update, Starlink was operating normally, said Musk, who added on March 25 that the constellation had "resisted all hacking & jamming attempts" in Ukraine.
wangus12
AG
ATX_AG_08 said:

Man what I would give for someone to silence these whack jobs
ABATTBQ11
AG
BusterAg said:

MeatDr said:

Nice driving scumbag

He's probably going to die by javelin soon
MeatDr
AG
Not a good day for Russian fighter jets. In addition to this one and the one posted earlier on this page, the Ukrainian Army is claiming a second Su-34 was shot down near Izyum today.
one MEEN Ag
AG
mickeyrig06sq3 said:

PJYoung said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Rossticus said:

Just sayin'…

We don't have enough weapons to defend against Russia. We have enough to obliterate them, conventionally at least.

You think we're short of nukes?

If nukes come in to play, there are no winners and there are no losers. It's a reset button.
China wins because there is no reason to attack them and they would be the largest remaining power. America, Europe and Russia would be a smoldering husk.
twk
AG
It would be really interesting if Ukraine could pull this off:

Ukraine threatens Russia with airstrike on strategic Crimea bridge

Quote:

Kyiv claims Moscow is using the 12-mile, 2.7 billion bridge to send troops and weapons into the annexed peninsula

Ukraine has threatened to launch an airstrike on Russia's 2.7 billion bridge to Crimea, the largest structure of its kind in Europe and of strategic importance to the Putin regime.

The bridge, which links southern Russia to the annexed peninsula, was opened by Vladimir Putin in 2018 to condemnation from the West.

Oleksiy Danilov, chairman of the Ukrainian National Security and Defence Council, said Russia has been using the nearly 12-mile (19-kilometre) bridge spanning the Strait of Kerch to send troops and weapons from Russia into Crimea and then into southern Ukraine.

"It would be good if our partners could provide us with something that we could use to reach (the bridge)," he told the NV radio station.

"It would solve a lot of issues for us."

Mr Putin's spokesman on Thursday described Mr Danilov's remarks as "nothing short of an announcement of an upcoming terrorist attack."

The bridge links the Crimea with Russia, across the Kerch Strait

If the Ukrainians could blow up this bridge, then mount an offensive from Kherson which threatened the Isthmus of Perekop (the narrow strip of land that connect Crimea to the mainland of Ukraine), then that would threaten the entire Russian position along the Sea of Azov coast.
doctorAg13
AG
10thYrSr said:

Sharpshooter said:

Is anyone alarmed that this thread falls during the day? I guess we have gotten used to the fact that people are dying every day. Not to say that we don't care, but our attention is worn out. You can tell by the frequency of postings. This is all great information but we have become exhausted.

Granted I am not trained military; however, isn't it normal that fighting subsides during the night? Our day is their night, so, it seems normal that posts would subside as well. Sorry if I am misunderstanding your post.

What I mean to say is that people are losing interest in this conflict. This thread used to be at the top of the page every time. Now I wouldn't be surprised to find it on the second page if it weren't for Rossticus late night updates
I've noticed when I go to the listing of the threads it may indicate that there are, say 100 new posts since I last looked at it, like this morning. But when I opened the thread there were maybe 30 new posts. Often there are significantly fewer posts. This happens quite often - does that mean the mods are throttling down on the posts or removing redundant posts?

[YES, TRYING TO REMOVE THE DERAILS. -STAFF]
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Robk
one MEEN Ag said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

PJYoung said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Rossticus said:

Just sayin'…

We don't have enough weapons to defend against Russia. We have enough to obliterate them, conventionally at least.

You think we're short of nukes?

If nukes come in to play, there are no winners and there are no losers. It's a reset button.
China wins because there is no reason to attack them and they would be the largest remaining power. America, Europe and Russia would be a smoldering husk.
China still looses. They are going to have a hard time feeding people after an all out exchange. Not to mention the definition of power would be set back in the reset.
MeatDr
AG
Bird Poo
AG
Why wasn't this targeted from the get-go? Hell, send a neptune after it.
SwigAg11
AG
PearlJammin said:

Does it have the range from the Odessa region to make it?
benchmark
AG
twk said:

If the Ukrainians could blow up this bridge, then mount an offensive from Kherson which threatened the Isthmus of Perekop (the narrow strip of land that connect Crimea to the mainland of Ukraine), then that would threaten the entire Russian position along the Sea of Azov coast.
Cruise missile would do it ... however, providing long range offensive weapons aren't on the menu unless Russia steps out of their lane.
aggiehawg
AG
SwigAg11 said:

PearlJammin said:

I think that depends on where you want to hit the bridge. I said taking out that bridge was a legitimate target several hundred pages ago. But not sure which munitions and how much would be required to effectively close the bridge down for a long period of time.
aeroag14
AG
aggiehawg said:

SwigAg11 said:

PearlJammin said:

I think that depends on where you want to hit the bridge. I said taking out that bridge was a legitimate target several hundred pages ago. But not sure which munitions and how much would be required to effectively close the bridge down for a long period of time.
The second sentence is key. A bridge is a much "harder" target than a ship. A neptune isnt going to do much.
one MEEN Ag
AG
aggiehawg said:

SwigAg11 said:

PearlJammin said:

That central span is the weakest part. It has to have the arch to support its length so boats can pass underneath. The rest of the bridge is simple concrete pylons with concrete laid sections. Those are pretty robust and pretty easy to do an emergency repair. Hitting the longest span would not only be harder to rebuild, limit the weight that could cross with an emergency repair. It would also block a shipping lane.

Source: Mechanical engineering curriculum first teaches you how to build targets before covering how to build weapons.
ABATTBQ11
AG
twk said:

It would be really interesting if Ukraine could pull this off:

Ukraine threatens Russia with airstrike on strategic Crimea bridge

Quote:

Kyiv claims Moscow is using the 12-mile, 2.7 billion bridge to send troops and weapons into the annexed peninsula

Ukraine has threatened to launch an airstrike on Russia's 2.7 billion bridge to Crimea, the largest structure of its kind in Europe and of strategic importance to the Putin regime.

The bridge, which links southern Russia to the annexed peninsula, was opened by Vladimir Putin in 2018 to condemnation from the West.

Oleksiy Danilov, chairman of the Ukrainian National Security and Defence Council, said Russia has been using the nearly 12-mile (19-kilometre) bridge spanning the Strait of Kerch to send troops and weapons from Russia into Crimea and then into southern Ukraine.

"It would be good if our partners could provide us with something that we could use to reach (the bridge)," he told the NV radio station.

"It would solve a lot of issues for us."

Mr Putin's spokesman on Thursday described Mr Danilov's remarks as "nothing short of an announcement of an upcoming terrorist attack."

The bridge links the Crimea with Russia, across the Kerch Strait

They need HIMARS and ATACMS.

They could also maybe hit it with Migs, but it would be a huge stretch because the trip wild be at the edge of their range. Kind of a Yamamoto type operation where everything needs to go right and you have a limited window to strike. They'd need external tanks and all the fuel they could carry, fly super low around Crimea, hit the bridge, and then try to avoid Russian fighters and SAMs on the way back. Taking out the Moskva probably makes this possible because it was the biggest AA asset in the area.

Aside from that, there's the possibility of some kind of saboteur operation, but they'd need to get across hundreds of miles of open sea without being detected. It might be possible to launch go-fast boats from Odessa with sapper crews to take out the bridge, but that's a very dangerous proposition. The boats would need to have nothing mechanically go wrong (it's an 800-900 mile round trip, so a solid 20-30 hours depending on speed), and they'd have to avoid detection near the bridge. However, go-fast boats are hard to detect unless you're near them and they can have a pretty long range. They also have the advantage of being able to refuel at sea, so a small group could head out and top off the strike team to increase range. Honestly, SEALs would likely be used for this and inserted by sub if it were us, but Ukraine doesn't have that luxury.
OKC~Ag
President Biden just now announcing additional $800 million additional aid aside...2nd $800 million military aid to Ukrainians and $500 millions for economic assistance

Also stated what we knew... We're providing military intelligence and we're facilitating transfer of arms from other NATO to Ukrainians

He continues to talks...easier path for Ukrainians for immigration to US....

Ban Russian ship in US ports everywhere
aezmvp
No.
ABATTBQ11
AG
PearlJammin said:

Neptune is designed to hit a ship. You need a really big bomb for a bridge.

Think of it this way. A tank can survive a 500 lb bomb, but not a tiny javelin warhead because the warhead is designed to penetrate armor. The javelin is not good at blowing up bridges, which a 500 lb bomb could do with ease. Conversely, the Neptune is designed to penetrate a ship's hull and blow up inside its soft innards. It's like a giant javelin. It's not so good at bridges either though.
txaggie02
AG
benchmark said:

twk said:

Cruise missile would do it ... however, providing long range offensive weapons aren't on the menu unless Russia steps out of their lane.
They have been out of their lane for a long time now.
First Page Last Page
Page 517 of 1367

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.