***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,591,840 Views | 47822 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by sclaff
aezmvp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
deddog said:

aezmvp said:

AGS-R-TUFF said:

MeatDr said:

Hope all this makes sense!
Thanks for the explanation.

Is there a reason the Russians can't bypass the plant and take the rest of the city.
They already have control over most of the city except a small section in the West of the town. The problem with leaving several thousand determined, experienced and motivated troops in your rear near the main transport links between Rostov-on-Don and Crimea (land link) is that you are subject to ambushes, IEDs, and these troops are really, really dedicated to still be there and who knows how much in resources they have stashed down there?

It's basically asking to have a Red Dawn resistance screwing up your rear. They can't really bypass and just leave them. They will need to clear them out.

Edit: I would also add I don't believe "no military usage planned" even for a minute. Azov group is incredibly influential down there and have known they were in the Russian crosshairs for 8 years. That's a bunch of bunk.
dtkprowler
AG
the old "assembled" in the USA comes to mind. Maybe we could deliver 99% aircraft and they have to add the sticker to the dashboard or something
SwigAg11
AG
dtkprowler said:

the old "assembled" in the USA comes to mind. Maybe we could deliver 99% aircraft and they have to add the sticker to the dashboard or something

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read that.
PJYoung
AG
Ulrich said:

I don't know the first thing about Nance but my BS meter is pegged.
ABATTBQ11
AG
To expand on this, I think there's a distinct possibility that the Russians lost hundreds of sailors. Not because that's been discussed, but because I think they'd be showing off all of the survivors and providing a low body count if they hadn't. As it is, many families are saying they've received KIA notices or confirmation their kid is alive, but many more have gotten nothing. Either Russia is trying to figure this out still or they lost a lot of men and are trying to figure out how to cover it up.

If that's the case, that would be a huge humiliation on top of losing that kind of asset. That would be the biggest naval combat loss in almost 80 years, and in supposedly uncontested waters.
MeatDr
AG
Great map summary of all the Russian offensives around Izyum/Slovyansk over the past 24 hours.
Robk
PJYoung said:

Ulrich said:

I don't know the first thing about Nance but my BS meter is pegged.

A little hokey yes, but the captions in that tweet are not accurate.
Rossticus
ABATTBQ11
AG
Seems like this offensive has little if any momentum. Wondering if it turns into a ****show that just has a lot of dead Russians.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Thanks for cleaning up the thread staff
wangus12
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Seems like this offensive has little if any momentum. Wondering if it turns into a ****show that just has a lot of dead Russians.
We can only hope, but its probably to early to tell.
Rossticus
Rossticus
docb
AG
I'm all for giving Ukraine whatever it takes to win this war. If we are not going to give them a sufficient number of jets than what are the alternatives to make it really sticky for Russian plane at higher altitude to feel very uncomfortable. I'm afraid that if Russia wins this conflict it will just open up a can of worms for the future. Especially with China.
Rossticus
Full Thread: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1516482101159284743.html

ABATTBQ11
AG
It is, but if Russia is throwing everything they have at them, I would think we'd see some big breakthroughs.
roymas
richardag said:

aggiehawg said:

Well now I feel better. Or do I not trust this?

Quote:

Moscow is not considering using nuclear weapons in the Ukraine war, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has said.

In an interview with India Today, Lavrov said his country's forces would use "conventional weapons only," according to state news agency Interfax.

Although he is not directly responsible for military decision-making, his comments are among the most direct so far on the prospect of Russia escalating the conflict into a nuclear one.
Quote:

Soon after announcing his invasion, Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered Russia's nuclear forces be placed on high alert.
Quote:

Lavrov suggested that nuclear weapons were not part of the Kremlin's strategy as he referred to how the war is entering a new phase, which chimes with Ukraine's assessment that Moscow had started a new offensive in the Donbas region overnight Monday.

On Tuesday, Russian forces were attacking Ukrainian positions along the entire 300-mile front line in the eastern Donbas region, as Ukrainian president Volodymr Zelensky announced that a new Russian offensive in the east had begun.
Link
Will be interesting on what happens or doesn't happen to Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.
Rossticus
docb said:

I'm all for giving Ukraine whatever it takes to win this war. If we are not going to give them a sufficient number of jets than what are the alternatives to make it really sticky for Russian plane at higher altitude to feel very uncomfortable. I'm afraid that if Russia wins this conflict it will just open up a can of worms for the future. Especially with China.

Agreed. It also gives Russia a significant strategic advantage for any future potential engagements with Europe as well as additional Industrial, Agricultural, and energy reserves for either direct action or allied material support of Chinese action and a combined ability to withstand the impact of economic sanctions. A Russian victory eventually makes Russia and China stronger, more resilient, and emboldened as a result.
74OA
AG
Rossticus said:

Full Thread: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1516482101159284743.html

Full thread is worth a read.
txags92
AG

3 Blackhawks flying random patterns around western Poland. Any chance they are acting as targets for Ukrainians being trained to use their new SAM systems?
MeatDr
AG
deddog
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

How can the offensive possibly lose momentum when you've attacked on so many fronts at the same time?
HTownAg98
With Mariupol occupied, and the Russians on 2-3 fronts now, I'm a bit more concerned.
benchmark
AG
MeatDr said:

As a taxpayer ... I love the ROI on this "weapon system." By comparison, the F35 program is expected to cost taxpayers a total of $1.7 trillion across its lifecycle.
AgLA06
AG
HTownAg98 said:

With Mariupol occupied, and the Russians on 2-3 fronts now, I'm a bit more concerned.

More concerned than 55 days ago when they weren't supposed to last more than 3 days?

They were much worse off when Russian troops were on the outskirts of the capital and taking ground in the north, northeast, east, and south. High probability Ukraine still falls. But they are in a much better position today than on day 1.
wangus12
AG
I wouldn't even call it a high probability Ukraine falls at this point. Maybe high probability they lose a large chunk of the East
Jayhawk
Many wars have been characterized by an underdog inflicting stinging tactical defeats on the larger power in the opening stages, only for time and attrition to force the inevitable outcome. The Winter War in Finland is a good example, the Finns did not "win" that war contrary to popular imagination, they ceded disputed territory to come to terms (although they preserved their government and didn't end up as a communist puppet state so it wasn't an outright defeat).

This war also sort of reminds me of the early stages of the US Civil War.. the larger power arrogantly blunders forth confident that superiority in numbers and the supposed rag tag nature of the opposition will by itself guarantee victory, only to have devastating defeats inflicted upon them by a tactically superior enemy with a better knowledge of the terrain. You could argue there is an analogue between the ill fates attempt on Kyiv (including the.... ambitious... airborne effort on Hostomel) to the Peninsula Campaign. Both ideas had in mind a rapid thrust at the jugular but were done in by a combination of poor leadership and logistics.

All that to say, its only been 2 months.. we have not gone long enough for Russia's traditional military strengths to kick in; those are 1) the ability to take repeated defeats and sustain an army in the field and 2) grinding their opponent down by virtue of attrition.

The most important advantage that the Ukrainians have is that large land border with NATO countries, particularly the Poles who are as game as you like. The West (who are we kidding... the Americans) will need to pull off a logistical effort of historical proportions to keep the Ukrainian army in good supply, in addition to intelligence support etc. for the Ukrainians to come out with something like victory. Nothing is yet decided.
lobopride
I give Ukraine a 90% chance of survival. I just don't see how the inept and corrupt Russian military can push to Kiev (ever).
I give Ukraine a 5% chance of pushing Russia back to its original borders (except Crimea that's a lost cause).
ABATTBQ11
AG
HTownAg98 said:

The thing is, the Russians have gotten their **** pushed in. They were stopped in the east and pushed back in the north. The units attacking now aren't exactly great.

They've also likely lost resupply from the Black Sea and can't use the threat of an amphibious landing to pin down troops bar Odessa. It will be difficult to launch an offensive from the south, which is why they aren't.

On top of that, I wonder how much Russia can realistically devote to this. They have limited munitions stockpiles and are supposedly unable to produce new armor. At what point do they break off instead of risking strategic vulnerability with a heavily depleted inventory and personnel loss?
aggiehawg
AG
wangus12 said:

I wouldn't even call it a high probability Ukraine falls at this point. Maybe high probability they lose a large chunk of the East

Maybe...for a short time, perhaps.
Twice an Aggie
AG
Russia historically has a poor record. WWI they lost big and despite help they faced an internal rebellion and pulled out of a war as a loser. WWII they got their rear kicked by the Germans and relied on MASSIVE lend lease of food, vehicles, supplies and raw materials to be able to turn the tide with losses that would have had the US drop out of the war. They lost in Afghanistan despite huge advantages in every way.

Going back, they fought a lot of wars against the Ottomans and Europe and paid dearly for very small gains - and at times leadership paid with their lives and rule. They also were consistently conquered by neighbors. Russia referred to the Varangian (Viking/Scandinavian) Princes' lands.

Thinking they will fall back on historical strengths is ignoring a history of poor results in war and a need for huge outside help to win anything.
ABATTBQ11
AG
I don't really agree.

The South could have won the war had they not tried to take it to the North. That strategic change, from defender playing to their strengths on familiar ground to attacker against a superior force on unfamiliar ground is what did them in. Had they maintained their posture, Northern politics would have eventually ended the war. I don't see Ukraine committing that mistake. The South also wasn't getting more advanced weapons from other countries. Ukraine is getting a lot of logistical support and intelligence assistance.

I'm not sure Russia's strengths will work here. This is a high intensity proxy war. It's basically Vietnam. If Russia were fighting just Ukraine, yes, they could wear them down. However, they're fighting Ukraine, Europe, and the US. Ukraine is fighting a more efficient war thanks to western weapons and their defensive tactics. It's going to be hard for the Russians to "out die" the Ukrainians into submission.

The Russians can certainly be bled dry. It happened in Afghanistan. It could happen again here if Ukraine continues to play the South and play to their strengths.
aggiehawg
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

I don't really agree.

The South could have won the war had they not tried to take it to the North. That strategic change, from defender playing to their strengths on familiar ground to attacker against a superior force on unfamiliar ground is what did them in. Had they maintained their posture, Northern politics would have eventually ended the war. I don't see Ukraine committing that mistake. The South also wasn't getting more advanced weapons from other countries. Ukraine is getting a lot of logistical support and intelligence assistance.

I'm not sure Russia's strengths will work here. This is a high intensity proxy war. It's basically Vietnam. If Russia were fighting just Ukraine, yes, they could wear them down. However, they're fighting Ukraine, Europe, and the US. Ukraine is fighting a more efficient war thanks to western weapons and their defensive tactics. It's going to be hard for the Russians to "out die" the Ukrainians into submission.

The Russians can certainly be bled dry. It happened in Afghanistan. It could happen again here if Ukraine continues to play the South and play to their strengths.
Well said. Belarus has not entered the war. Time for that has now passed.
ABATTBQ11
AG
This. Without lend/lease, they don't defeat the Germans. We supplied almost their entire logistical apparatus.
Waffledynamics
AG
Here's an interesting video about troop counts. A bit interesting. I'd be curious to hear thoughts from here.

First Page Last Page
Page 510 of 1367

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.