***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,592,221 Views | 47822 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by sclaff
74OA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
deddog said:

74OA said:

DW and BBC saying anticipated Russian offensive in east has kicked off with massive artillery barrages.

BBC
DW
I'm assuming they are using a lot of rocket artillery in addition to guns. Have the arty locating radars made it there yet?
No idea if the CBRs have arrived, but there has been reporting that the tranche of US aid which includes them has started to be delivered.

Note that we gifted two in 2015 and the Netherlands has recently given seven more, so Ukraine does have some.

CBR
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG
aeroag14
AG
MeatDr said:

The question is how well supplied are those Uke units? There has been intense fighting in the east for a while now. Do they have that advanced weaponry in large enough quantities to make a huge difference?
MeatDr
AG
JFABNRGR
AG
Update from Wali the Canadian Sniper on importance of discipline.

War in Ukraine... I'm alive. Here is war. Two days ago, me and my comrade Shadow went to a position surrounded by Russian tanks, in a small forest.
On the spot, two Ukrainian soldiers greeted us with a smile, from a miserable and muddy little trench. One of the soldiers even spoke a little French. I told Shadow to stay in the trench, even though it looked boring.
The two Ukrainian soldiers came out of the trench to smoke. I told them to put out their cigarettes and go back to cover while I looked for the position of the Russian tanks. They didn't listen and even ventured close to the edge of the forest, trying to show me the location of Russian tanks. I told them to come back immediately to take shelter and not to expose themselves like this again. They listened to me and came back to smoke next to the trench. They didn't want to go into the trench. My reflex as a soldier was to move anyway because it was possible that the two careless soldiers had been detected by the thermal vision equipment of the enemy tanks.
Twenty seconds later, I was fifteen meters from the soldiers. I was watching with my binoculars. A huge explosion shook me. Shrapnel streaked past me, like embers from a campfire. I was enveloped in smoke. My body instinctively tensed, as well as my face. I couldn't hear anything out of one ear.
I moved from cover to crawl into the trench and try to find the enemy tanks. I looked to my left. The two Ukrainian soldiers were lying on the ground. The scene was exactly like in a Hollywood war movie. A soldier was five meters from me. He was lying down and had no legs. The rest of the body was partly shredded. He was no longer moving.
Another soldier was three meters away from me. He had a torn leg. His body was mutilated in several places. He was still breathing but breathed his last in front of me, about ten seconds later. The Russian tanks continued to fire in our direction. The story did not end there but I will tell you another time. Back at the base, my friend Shadow couldn't believe he was alive. He had no injuries. The explosion knocked him to the ground. I didn't have any injuries either. Not a single scratch. Today, my ear is doing great and I can hear normally.
Infantry procedures and drills are important. Here we see a striking example. I tell you only one of the events of the week. We have inflicted casualties on the enemy but we have lost many comrades.
It's war here. Real war.
Glory to Ukraine!

Unrelated video here below but a great example of mortars on dismounted personnel.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RussiaUkraineWar2022/comments/u6ndaj/video_from_ukraines_54th_mechanized_brigade/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
Gordo14
Seems like the Donbas just kicked off. Thoughts and prayers with the soldiers of Ukraine.
BadMoonRisin
AG
That has to be a model or incomplete Buran. I think there was only one made to completion (and another one 90% of the way there) and it was destroyed when the hanger it was staying in Kazakhstan collapsed.
AGS-R-TUFF
AG
Gordo14 said:

Seems like the Donbas just kicked off. Thoughts and prayers with the soldiers of Ukraine.
Let's hope for more bullseye hits to Russian command/control and supply lines…then rinse and repeat.
PA24
AG
Gordo14 said:

Give 'em hell Ukraine.
LMCane
Petreaus discussing how the US is only sending Switchblades of the anti-personnel variety.

That is pretty disconcerting, as there will be few urban battles- and even in the cities the Russky infantry never dismounts.

hopefully the anti-personnel drones can be somewhat effective against soft skinned fuel tankers and infantry carriers.
FriscoKid
AG

That's intense!
LMCane
MeatDr said:

Caesar Kunikov is probably the landing ship that got out of the Berdiansk port on fire when Saratov was sunk.
based on the performance of the Russian Black Sea Fleet over the last month,
they may be even worse than the Imperial Russian fleet annihilated in 1904 by the Japanese at Tsushima.
Bird Poo
AG
No wonder they are running out of ammo. Everything is flying wide open.
deddog
AG
FriscoKid said:

That's intense!
majority of the fire going one way...
I hope the ukes are keeping their heads down, and then surface when the Ruskies actually start moving up troops
JFABNRGR
AG
FriscoKid said:

That's intense!
Terrain matters.
this side is dug in with fortified defenses.
Anybody know which side this is?
If its Ukrainians and this was a push from the east by the russians we will find out real quick how bad they want it.
Did not seem like any mortar or artillery fires but the impacts could have been further out and not in frame or visible.
MeatDr
AG
FriscoKid said:

That's intense!

This vid is a recirculated video from an 8 year old training exercise in Saudi Arabia.
Rossticus
Rossticus
Russian inferiority complex on full display:

Thread:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1516174209197694988.html

Rossticus
Significant.

Waffledynamics
AG
Can we get back to the tactical discussion instead of talking about mothballed stuff we saw in new Google satellite reveals? Is anyone seeing what's going on in the Donbas now that the Russian offensive has started? Biggest gain I've seen is that the Russians got to a town called Zarichne.

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/18-april-russian-troops-already-in-zarichne
TH36
Waffledynamics said:

Can we get back to the tactical discussion instead of talking about mothballed stuff we saw in new Google satellite reveals? Is anyone seeing what's going on in the Donbas now that the Russian offensive has started?

I tried YouTube but only found a few videos that said the offensive had started but didn't really show any new footage. Just of the missile attacks.
Ag In Ok
AG
So the Russians use the flares to walk troops forward?
Ukes appear to use rockets and large caliber automatic fire, indirectly. Did i catch manpads being launched?
Waffledynamics
AG
See MeatDr's response. It's not a video from Ukraine.
Eliminatus
AG
Not seeing too much movement either from what I can tell. Makes me think with the lack of combined arms training of the Russians this will be a slow slog of a fight over days and weeks and not a "set-piece" battle that will decided it in hours.

Further proof to me that Russia is not and probably has not been a varsity player in some time.
74OA
AG
The beast….
Eliminatus
AG
74OA said:

The beast….

Do you think it is a right call to defend in place?

I wonder if a fluid defense of denying the Russians and bleeding them to extend them would be more effective on paper. Ukraine exists as long as their army exists. Land can always be retaken. Their fighting forces are far more finite and would do better in drawing and extending the Russians all across the middle of Ukraine. At least in my headspace.
txags92
AG
Eliminatus said:

74OA said:

The beast….

Do you think it is a right call to defend in place?

I wonder if a fluid defense of denying the Russians and bleeding them to extend them would be more effective on paper. Ukraine exists as long as their army exists. Land can always be retaken. Their fighting forces are far more finite and would do better in drawing and extending the Russians all across the middle of Ukraine. At least in my headspace.
It's a great opportunity to do some really strong ambushes...give just enough ground to make them think you are on the run and lose their discipline chasing you. Then open up on them with hidden infantry with anti armor weapons and put their infantry on foot where they can be hammered with artillery.
Waffledynamics
AG
Imagine trying to sleep.

Waffledynamics
AG
Interesting to see the area SW of Kherson not Russian-held. LiveUaMap does not agree.

ABATTBQ11
AG
GAC06 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

GAC06 said:

Ships don't have a good track record defending against missiles. We supposedly had a destroyer shoot down an inbound missile from Yemen recently but most other instances where the missile functioned properly, the ship got hit. Falklands, USS Stark, Israeli frigate hit by hezbollah, etc

To successfully engage incoming missiles, the CIWS actually has to be present and active. HMS Sheffield didn't have a CIWS to engage the exocets fired at it. Stark seemingly didn't turn hers on fast enough and engage early. The Hanit (Israeli frigate) also did not have her CIWS on because she did not suspect any kind of missile attack was possible.

Yeah there are different reasons for each ship that got hit and I'm sure there is some explaining going on about the Moskva. My point is that several things need to go right for a targeted ship and the track record is that when the missile works, the ship typically gets hit.

No. It's not. There's an equal track record of ships not getting hit. See the Syrians (missed an entire volley), Iranians (scored 0 hits despite multiple launches), Hezbollah (1 for 2), and even some of our own (had multiple misses against Iranian ships).

And it's worth considering all the shots that weren't taken because of ships' defenses. Ukraine had to wait for the perfect conditions to launch a strike and force the Russians to respect the coast. All the while, for a month, the Moscow had the Black Sea skies on lockdown with its S-300 battery.

Lots of things need to go right, but first and foremost is proper employment. When missiles are just lobbed at vessels with defenses, like the Iranians shooting at American vessels in Praying Mantis or the Syrians at Latakia, they have a poor history of funding their target. So yes, ships do have a pretty decent history of defending against them.
Rossticus
No idea how much fighting he's actually doing but chalk up one Lib who may be putting his money where his mouth is. Former Mil/Intel turned talking head. Don't know much else about him.

Waffledynamics
AG
Rossticus said:

No idea how much fighting he's actually doing but chalk up one Lib who may be putting his money where his mouth is. Former Mil/Intel turned talking head. Don't know much else about him.

Major respect if he's being real and authentic here. Ideological differences aside, that's one hell of an undertaking.
Waffledynamics
AG
Rossticus
First Page Last Page
Page 507 of 1367

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.