***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,595,514 Views | 47839 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by 74OA
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Decay said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

If a superstructure hit detonated those missiles in their launchers or a magazine elsewhere on the ship, it would have been catastrophic damage.
That was my thought as well. The way that ship was designed, those launchers were an easy target. I have seen reports that the Moskva had two nukes of unknown strength on board as well. Doubt those went off as it would have been detected by satellites.

Nukes don't really "go off" by accident so that's not a concern. There might be contamination from nuclear material but the ocean tends to disperse that pretty well.
Its all fun and games until Ukraine utilizes a newly created Godzilla to destroy Russia
AgLA06
AG
Decay said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

If a superstructure hit detonated those missiles in their launchers or a magazine elsewhere on the ship, it would have been catastrophic damage.
That was my thought as well. The way that ship was designed, those launchers were an easy target. I have seen reports that the Moskva had two nukes of unknown strength on board as well. Doubt those went off as it would have been detected by satellites.

Nukes don't really "go off" by accident so that's not a concern. There might be contamination from nuclear material but the ocean tends to disperse that pretty well.

This is Russia we're talking about. Nothing works or goes per how they claim it does.
MeatDr
AG
I have no words...

MeatDr
AG
And I know they are probably shooting at nothing, as they are in most of their videos.
EMY92
AG
That's not a bad thing if you have other elements moving to engage the enemy from another direction. You're keeping the enemy's heads down.

However, if that is the only way you're trying to engage the enemy, you're better off saving ammo.
JFABNRGR
AG
74OA said:

I still say the Kherson front has the potential to unhinge the entire Russian operation.

Logistically, this makes sense currently, but strategically the land bridge to Crimea has to be cut and the sooner the better.

Concur the Kherson front is #1 and #2 to cut the land bridge, Going from Zaporizhia to Melitopul to Mariupol or Donetsk to Mariupol to Melitopol which is probably the more difficult of directions to go. Donetsk area is probably pretty full of russians/mines etc.

On #2 send a blocking force to the south side of Donetsk to keep russians from reinforcing the push further south & southwest.
Duckhook
AG
I live in the Valley. Article in the paper this morning about a McAllen man who is now in the foreign legion in Ukraine.
https://myrgv.com/featured/2022/04/13/mcallen-marine-fighting-in-ukraine-details-decision-to-join-foreign-war/
black_ice
Duckhook said:

I live in the Valley. Article in the paper this morning about a McAllen man who is now in the foreign legion in Ukraine.
https://myrgv.com/featured/2022/04/13/mcallen-marine-fighting-in-ukraine-details-decision-to-join-foreign-war/

Mexican or American?
black_ice
JFABNRGR said:

74OA said:

I still say the Kherson front has the potential to unhinge the entire Russian operation.

Logistically, this makes sense currently, but strategically the land bridge to Crimea has to be cut and the sooner the better.

Concur the Kherson front is #1 and #2 to cut the land bridge, Going from Zaporizhia to Melitopul to Mariupol or Donetsk to Mariupol to Melitopol which is probably the more difficult of directions to go. Donetsk area is probably pretty full of russians/mines etc.

On #2 send a blocking force to the south side of Donetsk to keep russians from reinforcing the push further south & southwest.

Agreed
MeatDr
AG
We've known they've been doing this for a bit, but here is an update.

Mostly captured. If you read the whole thread, only 582 of the scans have been corpses.

Unroll: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1514941871830835200.html

Burrus86
AG
black_ice said:

Duckhook said:

Mexican or American?

Texan
JoeAggie1010
EMY92 said:

That's not a bad thing if you have other elements moving to engage the enemy from another direction. You're keeping the enemy's heads down.

However, if that is the only way you're trying to engage the enemy, you're better off saving ammo.
Tell me you don't understand individual and team tactics without saying it.
aggiehawg
AG
Not a fan of this at all. Show their identification documents but not the bodies themselves.
Dorm 15
AG
Burrus86 said:

black_ice said:

Duckhook said:

Mexican or American?

Texan
Great response. I just don't get some people.
fullback44
AG
MeatDr said:

The Ukraine government has MASTERED the art of the troll!

Screw that .. go get them !
JFABNRGR
AG
MeatDr said:

We've known they've been doing this for a bit, but here is an update.

Mostly captured. If you read the whole thread, only 582 of the scans have been corpses.

Unroll: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1514941871830835200.html

A face is required for the facial recognition to be successful!
Robk
Facial recognition, drones, and internet sleuths. No hiding in today's war.

AlaskanAg99
AG
aggiehawg said:

Not a fan of this at all. Show their identification documents but not the bodies themselves.

Most of them aren't carrying identification.
aggiehawg
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

aggiehawg said:

They aren't?
AlaskanAg99
AG
aggiehawg said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

aggiehawg said:

They aren't?

Nope. They take their ID and phones to keep them from contacting family. Lots of reports of ru taking Ukraine phones to contact their families. All part of Putins plans to keep news from reaching families at a minimum. Which is why they're using the facial ID scans in the first place. All part of the information war.
aggiehawg
AG
Oh. Knew their phones were taken but not their IDs too. Seems dumb to me.
Waffledynamics
AG
LiveUaMap is showing a lot of aerial threat alerts in the area of Sloviansk, Pokrovsk, Kramatorsk, Dnipro, and Zaporizhzhia areas. There are a lot of Ukrainian troops in that area. Potentially trying to soften them up?

It would be nice if Ukraine could start destroying artillery in the Donbas and South. Make Russia have to replace that.

Also, do we know if Russia has been throwing a lot of shells at once, or has it been more like some of the videos we've seen of Ukes sending one or two at a time?

Lastly, and I probably know the answer to this, but how hard is it to make new artillery munitions en masse? I can't imagine Russia has a hard time replacing shells.
AgLA06
AG
aggiehawg said:

Can't keep casualty numbers a secret if they can take ID off the bodies. And sure as heck don't want families to know you didn't care enough to not recover the bodies. It appears the Russians aren't notifying families for weeks of anything.
Ag In Ok
AG
Reminds me of this guy. Wonder what came of him.

txags92
AG
AgLA06 said:

aggiehawg said:

Can't keep casualty numbers a secret if they can take ID off the bodies. And sure as heck don't want families to know you didn't care enough to not recover the bodies. It appears the Russians aren't notifying families for weeks of anything.
Amazing how thousands of their conscripts are probably dying of training accidents at an undisclosed location according to what the families are being told.
Waffledynamics
AG
Ag In Ok said:

Reminds me of this guy. Wonder what came of him.

I'm sure he's pushing up sunflowers now.
Waffledynamics
AG
Ukrainian Coast Guard says that the Russian Black Sea Fleet failed to rescue the Moskva crew despite efforts made.

https://liveuamap.com/en/2022/15-april-ukrainian-coast-guard-russian-black-sea-fleet-failed
Duckhook
AG
black_ice said:

Duckhook said:

Mexican or American?

JFC, decide yourself.
Faustus
According to the Russian Orthodox Church a piece of the true cross was delivered to the Moskva in 2020, which is a strange thing to take into special military operations.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/russian-warship-sunken-ukraine-war-091746009.html
Quote:

. . . The Russian warship that was confirmed as sunk on Thursday may have been carrying a holy relic when it went down.

The Moskva, a missile cruiser that was the flagship of Russia's Black Sea fleet, sank on Thursday following an explosion on board, Russian state media reported.

A news report from 2020 has given rise to the question of whether the vessel sank with a Christian relic a piece of the "true cross" on board.

The Russian Orthodox Church announced in February 2020 that the relic had been delivered to the then-commander of the Black Sea fleet, Vice Admiral Igor Osipov, and was at the fleet's headquarters in readiness for delivery to the ship "shortly," the state-run Tass news agency reported at the time.

Russian state media reported in 2020 that the ship was due to take a holy relic on board.

It's unclear whether the relic a piece of the "true cross" was on board when the Moskva sank.

The relic in question is a fragment of wood just millimeters big, which according to believers is a piece of the cross on which Christ was crucified, Tass said. That fragment is embedded in a 19th-century metal cross which is itself kept in a reliquary, per the outlet.

The Moskva had a chapel on board for sailors to pray in, Sergiy Khalyuta, archpriest of the Russian Orthodox Church's Sevastopol District, told Tass. He said the fragment was to be transferred at the request of its owner, an anonymous collector.

Insider was unable to establish when the relic was finally transferred to the Moskva or if it was on board at the time of the vessel's sinking in 2022. The Russian embassy in London did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The sinking of the Moskva, as a prized flagship, is a major blow to Russian morale, Western officials said. . . .
Waffledynamics
AG
JFABNRGR
AG
Equipment losses

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

Were approaching 3000 russian assets confirmed lost. Noteworthy as of lately:

• just the last 15 days the ratio AVG is 10:1 russian loss to UKR.
  • In month of APR Ukes have taken/destroyed 14 red drones or about 1/day.
  • Cruise missile ship sank.
  • Su34 and a KA52 shot down this week.

Upcoming

• We know UKR solders in the US training on switch blade drones departed for the war zone last week and likely traveled with some of the drones. I expect we will begin seeing their utilization within the next 10 days.
  • Star streak is supposed to already be in theatre and I believe the mere presence has reduced russian air attacks.
  • We are sending 18 155MM towed howitzers with 40,000 rounds (unknown if PGM$$$)
  • 10 AN/TPQ-36 counter battery radars (Assuming a training delay, I suspect UKR to continue spotting with drones long before these are effective).
  • 2 AN/MPQ-64 sentinel air radars (same concerns as above)
  • 300+ IFV M113/Humvees/etc however without long range indirect fire or air cover, these will just get more UKR soldiers killed and they will be better off on foot, bike, or civilian car. (coming from 11B2VP)

Ideally the west supplies Ukraine with LONG RANGE artillery & Reaper/Pred drones (anything over 20KM) to stay offset from russian indirect fire. It is unknown if any of our M982 Excalibur long range rounds are going with this package. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M982_Excalibur
They are very expensive compared to dumb rounds but a proxy war with our enemy is worth every 100K round that destroys a russian asset. The 600SB could do some of this work but its my understanding the numbers are very limited compared to the 300s. Between the drones for recon and long range capabilities UKR could simply continue pushing russia east and they wouldn't be able to do anything about it without risking air assets or utilizing their long range missiles, which would still need target coordinates. Meanwhile small hunter killer teams on the ground can continue to wreck havoc on russian forces in the 300-3500M ranges using the antitank weapons and mines.
JFABNRGR
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Damn that equates to thousands and thousands of dead civilians and only 2 days from Ukraine if videoed today.

If there was ever a target for an ALCM painted blue over gold that could give rise to RT offering breaking news that an accidental ammunition fire destroyed the train. This is it.......maybe a few others.
CondensedFogAggie
Rossticus said:

Zelensky has hinted at not even running for a second term whether the war is over or not. We'll see where this goes in the next few months, assuming he stays alive, but you have to imagine he's worn the hell out.
I understand where Zelensky is coming from, but he's an international superstar. He by far, would be able to secure the most foreign aid Ukraine desperately will need to rebuild the country after a ceasefire.

Current estimates are 160 billion dollars worth on infrastructure damage to his country.They may need him to stay at the top and bring the money in at least for 1 more term.
JFABNRGR
AG
Well maybe we just need to give them more 30MM. UKR going head to head with russian MBT.
You cant see the 30MM likely from BTR but the one you can see is either firing smaller 50 cal type or possibly non tracer 30MM. Would love to see what occurred in the minutes prior.

https://funker530.com/video/russian-tank-gets-absolutely-shredded-by-ukrainian-fire/
74OA
AG
JFABNRGR said:

74OA said:

The Kherson front, as I call it, isn't principally about the city itself, but about driving south from there to cut the Russian LOCs from Crimea, which are essential for supporting their entire operation in the southeast.

Unhinging the "land bridge" is what I'm talking about.
First Page Last Page
Page 492 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.