***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,595,940 Views | 47840 Replies | Last: 58 min ago by pagerman @ work
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bonfarr said:

Is there confirmation of a sinking or is the ship just heavily damaged and out of action?

It would be cool if this was the result of a hacking attack that caused the engines or electrical systems to catch fire similar to the hacking attack on the Iranian centrifuge.

Ukes reported hitting it with missiles. Russian comms appear to indicate serious damage and possibly sinking. Two tugs confirmed sent out so appears immobilized. Weather in Black Sea area poor. Russian MOD has confirmed damage and full evac. It could be sinking but no way to know for certain. Definitely FUBAR at the very least.
ABATTBQ11
AG
If the crew evacuated and munitions detonated, it's likely a total loss, especially in rough seas. Doubtful it's any kind of hacking attack because the engines and controls are likely all analogue.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Is that cruiser nuclear?
sclaff
AG
TXAggie2011
AG
bonfarr said:

Is there confirmation of a sinking or is the ship just heavily damaged and out of action?

It would be cool if this was the result of a hacking attack that caused the engines or electrical systems to catch fire similar to the hacking attack on the Iranian centrifuge.

Doubt we'll be seeing anyone Stuxnet-ing anything in this but that would be neat
Not a Bot
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Is that cruiser nuclear?

Gas. Built in 1979. Had some munition upgrades but really wasn't all that high tech of a vessel by modern standards.

From what is published on Wikipedia, it doesn't seem like it was even equipped with land attack missiles. Was outfitted with a lot of anti-ship and anti-air munitions.
Rossticus
AlaskanAg99 said:

Is that cruiser nuclear?

Negatory. Propulsion via: 4 COGOG gas turbines, 2 shafts 121,000 shp

But, hey, at least it's not coal powered like their aircraft carrier.
Rossticus
Yeah. Largely obsolete craft retrofitted with a bunch of crap.
CondensedFogAggie

Go **** up some ruskies now
Not a Bot
AG
Rossticus said:

And was considered the flagship. That says a lot.
Rossticus
Captain Positivity said:

Rossticus said:

And was considered the flagship. That says a lot.

It'll make a lovely artificial reef.
Premium
AG
So at this point can Russia "win"?

I think we're getting caught up in this as if it has to end within days or weeks but Putin likely has years on the table. In a society of instant gratification I think we're getting caught up in this ending one way or the other, soon.

So can Putin take this thing years and will that outlast international support?
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG

BusterAg
AG
Premium said:

So at this point can Russia "win"?

I think we're getting caught up in this as if it has to end within days or weeks but Putin likely has years on the table. In a society of instant gratification I think we're getting caught up in this ending one way or the other, soon.

So can Putin take this thing years and will that outlast international support?

This is my take. He can just shell East Ukraine for the next two years, sue for a demilitarized neutral zone where all the rubble is, and claim victory and go home.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms … disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes… . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

--Thomas Jefferson
Rossticus
Demosthenes81
AG
The sphincters on a bunch of Russian naval officers just tightened up to 11
Seven and three are ten, not only now, but forever. There has never been a time when seven and three were not ten, nor will there ever be a time when they are not ten. Therefore, I have said that the truth of number is incorruptible and common to all who think. — St. Augustine
Rossticus
A few hundred Russians will drink with Davey Jones tonight! It'd be a shame but it was absolutely necessary, and the sole fault of one man alone. Russian warship Moskav, GFY!
ABATTBQ11
AG
Captain Positivity said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Is that cruiser nuclear?

Gas. Built in 1979. Had some munition upgrades but really wasn't all that high tech of a vessel by modern standards.

From what is published on Wikipedia, it doesn't seem like it was even equipped with land attack missiles. Was outfitted with a lot of anti-ship and anti-air munitions.

It was a huge air defense platform for them. It lacked kalibr cruise missile support, but it had 64 S-300 SAMS.
Rossticus

Blackbeard94
AG
Rossticus said:

Wow, they sank the Moscow!
Blackbeard94
AG
Rossticus said:

I am going to go smoke a cigarette, was that good for you?
Rossticus
Without a doubt
CondensedFogAggie

Yippee ki yay m*********ers
Not a Bot
AG
Big loss. Gives them way less flexibility in how they protect southern Ukraine and Crimea from drone strikes. I'm trying to do some fast research but I'm pretty sure it had some fairly advanced radars that could be used as an early warning system for the ground-based sites as part of an integrated defense. Not sure how successfully integrated anything is with Russian forces, though.

It had six CIWS systems that are designed to shoot down these sorts of attack missiles, I suppose they failed.
agent-maroon
AG
The rus are putting their incompetence on display for the whole world to see. How the hell do you lose your flagship vessel to a country lacking a functional navy? Seriously, how?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
angus55
ccard257 said:

aezmvp said:

one MEEN Ag said:

Could a submarine pass through the bosphorus without being detected? Not talking about the political ramifications, just more the technical ability.
Highly unlikely lots of sonar and other things going on there. It's possible with Turkish cooperation of course, but it would be unsafe and my trust in Navy seamanship is pretty low after the last few years.
easy...use a tanker as a hat...right between the screws. Just need a man with a tattoo on his dick.

By a strange coincidence you got one.
We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have, or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-b******, were going to rip out their living G*******d guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun c********** by the bushel-f****** basket. War is a bloody killing business. You've got to spill their blood or they will spill yours. Rip them up the belly. Shot them in the guts.
Not a Bot
AG
I think one can wager Russia will be all about finding those few Neptune launchers and doing their best to get some revenge in. Still have a lot of missile capability out there.
JJxvi
AG
Was Moskva the "go **** yourself Russian warship" ship?
wangus12
AG
Inject that news into my veins. That Black Sea fleet isn't exactly the biggest thing in the world either and if they start fearing the coast line its gonna be somewhat useless
Rossticus
Weather confirmed terrible. Probably contributed to inability to mount rapid rescue of crew. I don't believe Russian MOD that they evac'd all crew since reports have the ship rolling over almost immediately.

CondensedFogAggie

Neptune launch, unrelated to the sinking. What a beauty. Ukraine made, just started entering service last year.
FriscoKid
AG
Wonder if the fleet commander was on the ship too? That is a massive loss for them.
Rossticus
Full Thread. Lots of detail.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1514379947405623299.html

Not a Bot
AG
The first battalion was not scheduled to be fully online until April. They probably don't have a whole lot of these.
First Page Last Page
Page 480 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.