***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,595,489 Views | 47839 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by 74OA
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Was wondering what was in those tubes. Gees.
normaleagle05
AG
Captain Positivity said:

The first battalion was not scheduled to be fully online until April. They probably don't have a whole lot of these.

Sometimes efficient use trumps large quantities.
Rossticus
Someone mentioned that this may be the most significant military naval loss to a country since WW2. Can anyone think of one approaching this in the last 80 years?
sclaff
AG
Falklands War… both British and Argentinian
black_ice
Rossticus said:

Someone mentioned that this may be the most significant military naval loss to a country since WW2. Can anyone think of one approaching this in the last 80 years?

Falklands
GigEmRangers75455
74OA
AG
The report said the Ukrainians distracted the Moskva with a TB-2 and then fired a Neptune at it. IIRC, older radars and battle management systems cannot conduct both antimissile and anti-aircraft functions at the same time, so I wonder if focusing on the TB-2 is what allowed the Neptune to strike undetected?
EastSideAg2002
Captain Positivity said:

Big loss. Gives them way less flexibility in how they protect southern Ukraine and Crimea from drone strikes. I'm trying to do some fast research but I'm pretty sure it had some fairly advanced radars that could be used as an early warning system for the ground-based sites as part of an integrated defense. Not sure how successfully integrated anything is with Russian forces, though.

It had six CIWS systems that are designed to shoot down these sorts of attack missiles, I suppose they failed.
Does any of Russia's hi tech stuff work at any type of reasonable rate?
Not a Bot
AG
The most recent is definitely the Kursk. 118 lost.
cone
AG
Kursk
Rossticus
But the Kursk wasn't in the course of military engagement. I was thinking purely from a conflict standpoint.
74OA
AG
Rossticus said:

The sinking of the General Belgrano during the Falklands War?
cone
AG
that's absolutely the implication

combat tactics, mr. ryan
Waffledynamics
AG
Rossticus said:

Sorry to bring this post back up, but would this not mean resources will drain faster? They aren't getting sufficiently resupplied, if at all, in that city.
aezmvp
74OA said:

Rossticus said:

Thats my guess.
Rossticus
74OA said:

Rossticus said:

Yeah. Definitely. Like I said, I just always forget the Falklands.
agent-maroon
AG
74OA said:

The report said the Ukrainians distracted the Moskva with a TB-2 and then fired a Neptune at it. IIRC, older radars and battle management systems cannot conduct both antimissile and anti-aircraft functions at the same time, so I wonder if focusing on the TB-2 is what allowed the Neptune to strike undetected?

Whoever came up with this idea is a world class tactician. Clever doesn't even begin to describe it IMO
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JB!98
AG
black_ice said:

Rossticus said:

Falklands
The Argentinians lost 11 ships during that war. With the biggest loss being the Gen. Belgrano where they lost 380+ sailors. The Brits also had some losses from Exocet missiles.

The Belgrano was a cruiser with a ships company of 1100. Sunk by a Brit sub.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
PA24
AG
JB!98 said:

black_ice said:

Rossticus said:

Falklands
The Argentinians lost 11 ships during that war. With the biggest loss being the Gen. Belgrano where they lost 380+ sailors. The Brits also had some losses from Exocet missiles.
French Exocet missiles to be exact.
shiftyandquick
agent-maroon said:

74OA said:

Whoever came up with this idea is a world class tactician. Clever doesn't even begin to describe it IMO
Meritocracy will always defeat the autocracy because you promote the best, not the most corrupt. Boom!
Not a Bot
AG
74OA said:

Seems like a big flaw.

If this were the strategy, the timing would have to be very well thought out and executed. The TB-2 would have to take off and get there in time to focus the ship's radars (not a very fast-moving drone) and time the approach with the speed and timing of the incoming Neptunes which would be launched well after the TB-2 as they are much faster moving. Someone in Ukraine is good at math.
Who?mikejones!
74OA
AG
More detail on the new aid package to Ukraine. $800M
cone
AG
also the weather is supposedly complete **** so maybe that factored into the scheme
Rossticus
Agthatbuilds said:

Yeah, I'd expect heavy reprisal in the form of indiscriminate leveling of things from distance in the not too distant future.
Not a Bot
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Have a feeling Russia is going to look for some payback. They already said earlier today they could be looking to target CC sites (amazing they didn't do this on hour 1 of the invasion).
Waffledynamics
AG

At 7:35, he starts discussing the area in the East. It sounds like there are known heavy pockets of amassing Russian troops. Would be nice if Ukraine could make some use of their new ordnance and kick the anthills over.
PA24
AG
The future for warships are much like tanks. Sitting ducks with today's GPS type drones and tactical weapons.
The days of conventional WW2 sea battles are gone.

Trump was right, space force is the new high ground.
Rossticus
aezmvp
agent-maroon said:

74OA said:

The crazy thing is this is something our Carrier groups train for regularly. Also my money is on 200 to 300 hands lost minimum. Hit it at around midnight or 1 AM capsized almost immediately and called sinking very fast. Best case they were doing 4 on 4 off during a change but most likely lots of people would have had trouble getting into the water in the dark with 6 to 8 foot seas and 25 mph + winds. What a nightmare for those sailors.
BusterAg
AG
I guess you've never hung out with Math PhDs?

Probably half of them in US seem to be from that part of the world.
aezmvp
PA24 said:

The future for warships are much like tanks. Sitting ducks with today's GPS type drones and tactical weapons.

Imo low sonar profile UUWV drones swarms are a worse threat in the not too distant future. Fighting things under the water is hard already.
Rossticus
It moved for just a second.

ABATTBQ11
AG
PA24 said:

There will always be something new. Warships and tanks aren't going anywhere.
Waffledynamics
AG
Rossticus said:

I mean, there's some truth to all of that, which makes it effective propaganda.
First Page Last Page
Page 481 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.