***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,596,908 Views | 47841 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Ag with kids
Rossticus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AgLA06 said:

Yah, the point of that tweet thread seems pointless.

It's not like Poland would be fighting Russia without the losses to Russia already inflicted by Ukraine or without NATO allies.

I thought that it was interesting, not solely from the standpoint of a hypothetical 1 on 1 between Poland and Russia, but the comparison it provides between Ukraine's performance thus far and the potential of one of Europe's stronger militaries.
Rossticus
aggiehawg
AG
What is a "triune nation"??
Rossticus
***WARNING GRAPHIC***

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1513870745855840258.html
Rossticus
aggiehawg said:

Some sort of made up Putin BS that means "Belarus and Ukraine are Russia. We own them. They have no independent identity, will, or sovereignty".
The Shank Ag
Rossticus said:

***WARNING GRAPHIC***

Shouldn't have clicked. Seeing anyone, let alone young children, sprawled out like that really makes the blood boil. And hug my kids (3.5 years and 3 months) even tighter tonight.
Rossticus
The Shank Ag said:

Rossticus said:

***WARNING GRAPHIC***

Shouldn't have clicked. Seeing anyone, let alone young children, sprawled out like that really makes the blood boil. And hug my kids (3.5 years and 3 months) even tighter tonight.

That's what gets me about all of Russia's talking points over the existential risk they face and how Ukraine had to be invaded.

Who IS doing this to Russian civilians? Nobody. To Russian children? Nobody. Who WOULD have done it? Ukraine? No. The US? No. Anyone? No. There are no excuses for this. No justifications.
MouthBQ98
AG
Rossticus said:

***WARNING GRAPHIC***

Those are 30mm cannon hits from a bmp, BRm, or BTR.
Agsuffering@bulaw
MouthBQ98 said:

Why would China go to war over it when they could buy rights to it on the cheap, then gradually occupy it, then just declare it a separatist state and then occupy it with zero resistance over the next 2-3 decades?

Agree.

China is playing a longer game. The longer Russia bleeds, the more dependent it will become. China wants to turn Russia into its vassal- use Russia as the second lobster/ ice breaker/pick your metaphor.

When things settle down in Ukraine, we should provoke them against one another.
JJxvi
AG
Rossticus said:

aggiehawg said:

Some sort of made up Putin BS that means "Belarus and Ukraine are Russia. We own them. They have no independent identity, will, or sovereignty".
Triune "All-Russian" nation is an Russian Imperial concept that hasn't been around for more than a century (or taken as simply a matter of course during the Soviet era), ie dating from the Tsars. Basically that Great Russians, Little Russians, and White Russians are one nation.

Great or Greater Russia=Russia/Moscow
Little or Lesser Russia=Ukraine
White Russia=Belarus
Rossticus
So, imperialist Russian bull**** that means "Belarus and Ukraine are Russia. We own them. Neither they nor their people have independent identity, will, or sovereignty". Got it.
74OA
AG
Excellent discussion of the initial impromptu allied military aid to Ukraine and the best way forward in recognition that the battle is changing. Recommended.

LONG WAR
pocketrockets06
AG
Several posts on this thread have been in the theme of "look how bad Ukraine is beating them, Poland would do even better". I think this highlights that might not be true.
benchmark
AG
Jock 07 said:

I don't want to clutter this board rehashing the nuke discussions but I'll leave with this… then what happens when we start climbing the escalation ladder and start lobbing nukes back and forth. Do you think the soviets will back down when we/NATO respond with nuke employment? The risk for miscalculation in these scenarios are hugely consequential.
For starters, let's talk target equivalency ... not weapon equivalency. A reciprocal response isn't trading nukes ... particularly if Russian tactical nukes aren't targeting NATO. We have a lot of tools in our non-nuclear toolbox that haven't been deployed/used ... particularly long range precision guided weapons capable of hitting hard targets in the rear like bridges, depots, ports, etc. Soft targets are another level of escalation. And so forth. .
WesMaroon&White
AG

Anastasiia Lapatina
@lapatina_

2h
I really thought I've seen the worst of it. But I just heard an intercepted call of a Russian woman telling her partner to rape Ukrainian women, just not tell her about it. "I allow it, just use protection".

I cut the profanity out of her post.

JFABNRGR
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Are those putins comments or those of all the people/countries providing aid to Ukraine?
shiftyandquick
aggiehawg said:

You must recall that when Ukraine withdrew from the USSR, the USSR collapsed within 2 (?) weeks. For Russians, there can be no conception of a reformed USSR without Ukraine. If they don't take over Ukraine and win, the dream of USSR dies. Hence the existential battle to win in Ukraine. And also why the West cannot allow it to happen, IMO.
wangus12
AG
Had an conversation with a patient of mine from Bulgaria speaking on Russia in Ukraine. He said the one big thing he's noticed in his country is that people seem to no longer fear Russia. He grew up under communist Bulgaria and they've always worried about Russia taking back Eastern Europe. Watching Russia struggle in as much as they have in Ukraine has given them the belief that with Western support, Russia no where near what all of eastern Europe feared they were.
shiftyandquick
wangus12 said:

Had an conversation with a patient of mine from Bulgaria speaking on Russia in Ukraine. He said the one big thing he's noticed in his country is that people seem to no longer fear Russia. He grew up under communist Bulgaria and they've always worried about Russia taking back Eastern Europe. Watching Russia struggle in as much as they have in Ukraine has given them the belief that with Western support, Russia no where near what all of eastern Europe feared they were.
I have a friend who lives in the states, but grew up in Bulgaria. She says many people in Bulgaria (her friends on social media) support Russia in this war. Disappointing to her. This was near the beginning of the war. Maybe things are changing.

But let's face it, the appeal of a strong man and someone to take care of you has always been a powerful draw. Along with the appeal of greatness and empire. There are a lot of people who support Putin and Russia in the west.
Rossticus
Of course Putin hasn't articulated what these supposed "agreements" were. Because they were none. But when you need to continue to justify your perpetual unwillingness to negotiate in good faith…

Rossticus
Rossticus
FriscoKid
AG
shiftyandquick
Rossticus said:

Of course Putin hasn't articulated what these supposed "agreements" were. Because they were none. But when you need to continue to justify your perpetual unwillingness to negotiate in good faith…

I was listening to Burn Bag podcast, interview of James Clapper. He says you can't trust anything that Russia says re: negotiations. Long history of deception and lying. Every announcement by Russia should be considered a lie until proven otherwise.
JFABNRGR
AG
russia must be stopped.

warning I could not watch through, without taking a break and reminding myself it must be seen and I hope our decision makers and those around the world are also seeing it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RussiaUkraineWar2022/comments/u1v8dk/terrible_video_with_the_consequences_of_the_cruel/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
Rossticus
aggiehawg
AG
Ross? Can our missiles from the ships in the Baltic reach targets in Belarus, Ukraine and Russia near the border? Hit supply depots? What's the range? (I'm excluding submarines in the area.)
MeatDr
AG
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
aggiehawg said:

Ross? Can our missiles from the ships in the Baltic reach targets in Belarus, Ukraine and Russia near the border? Hit supply depots? What's the range? (I'm excluding submarines in the area.)
looks like tomahawks can reach out to 800-1000+ miles depending on the variant. so with the latest models our ships could tuck into the gulf of riga and hit any location in pre-2014 Ukraine. or well past Moscow or any target in Balarus
JFABNRGR
AG
aggiehawg said:

Absolutely, All of Belarus, all of UKR (including crimea), and even deep into western russia. Generally 2500 KM range and very accurate.

Thats a lot of ground to fly by low though, better would be out of the black sea, air launched, or off the ground in neighboring country.
MeatDr
AG
GAC06
AG
It's more sustainable than Russian targets so yeah
74OA
AG
MeatDr said:

Javelins, yes. Stingers, no. The US hasn't bought Stingers in decades and the production line services only one international customer which itself sources the obsolescent parts needed to build its orders.

STINGER
Rossticus
aggiehawg said:

If I told you I knew specific ranges offhand I'd be lying. I'll need to do a bit of self education after work.
Rossticus
First Page Last Page
Page 472 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.