***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,597,275 Views | 47841 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by Ag with kids
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agent-maroon said:

"Vestibulo atactic syndrome"

Sounds like nerve gas, no?
You tell us? What is that?
agent-maroon
AG
Means that they can't keep their balance. Usually nerve agents paralyze your respiratory muscles. So I dunno for sure...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiehawg
AG
agent-maroon said:

Means that they can't keep their balance. Usually nerve agents paralyze your respiratory muscles. So I dunno for sure...
Thanks.
CondensedFogAggie
WesMaroon&White
AG
74OA
AG
More on Ukraine's need for additional armor for the coming battle in Donbas.

I think more tanks are certainly needed, but eastern Ukraine is not the unobstructed steppe it was back in World War II. Today it is far more urbanized with many towns and villages to turn into fortified strong points, and the Javelin has a 2 1/2 mile range to target armor out in those open spaces.

TANKS
MouthBQ98
AG
Infantry can't attack easily to take back territory. They would be subject to artillery and only move slowly. For Ukraine to make offensives, they'd need some ability to penetrate enemy lines and maneuver into rear areas and force them to withdraw or be overrun or encircled.
sclaff
AG
txags92 said:

sclaff said:

MeatDr said:

Why doesn't NATO do some minesweeping in the Black Sea off of Nato member Romania's coast ?
Turkey is not letting any warships transit from the Med into the Black Sea.

Interesting. NATO member Turkey is not permitting transit.I checked and Romania has some frigates, corvettes, minesweepers, etc. Guess they are laying low or they have been caught outside of the Black Sea.
DCPD158
AG
sclaff said:

txags92 said:

sclaff said:

MeatDr said:

Why doesn't NATO do some minesweeping in the Black Sea off of Nato member Romania's coast ?

Interesting. NATO member Turkey is not permitting transit.I checked and Romania has some frigates, corvettes, minesweepers, etc. Guess they are laying low or they have been caught outside of the Black Sea.
Turkey is allowing ships to pass as long as their home port is in the Black Sea.
Company I-1, Ord-Ords '85 -12thFan and Websider-
CondensedFogAggie
https://instagr.am/p/CcJUwDHPVCG
Quote:

"Trench warfare is everything we learned in school about it. It is filthy and not fit for human being to live inside. Trenches keep soldiers safe from bullets from rifles and machine guns but do nothing when artillery comes.

Even worse when enemies are using drones or missiles now. When you hear something in the air the best you can do is lay down and hope they hit a different group of soldiers than yours.

I served in the army long before this. Since 2014 the first time we were invaded. I have not been in trenches since 2021. I moved to a job that would keep me out of them. I know soldiers are in trenches now. Both ours and theirs. I'm glad I'm not there."

- Ukrainian Veteran. Invasion of Ukraine. April 7th, 2022.
I hope to God the Ukes are armed to the teeth with drones, and can efficiently take back territory.
txags92
AG
sclaff said:

txags92 said:

sclaff said:

MeatDr said:

"NATO member Turkey" hasn't been acting in the interests of NATO for quite some time now. They got cut out of the F35 program for buying Russian S400 anti aircraft systems.
GarryowenAg
AG
I participated in a round table discussion with some state dept folks today at Fort Leavenworth. Can't go into much details on a public forum, but they basically said the US and NATO are deterred from escalating too much due to a legit fear Putin will use nukes. I've been on the skeptical side that nukes were out of the question until today.
Robk
Some soldiers do have critical thinking skills. 140 left from his battalion and it seems as many as 130 of those quit.

shiftyandquick
GarryowenAg said:

I participated in a round table discussion with some state dept folks today at Fort Leavenworth. Can't go into much details on a public forum, but they basically said the US and NATO are deterred from escalating too much due to a legit fear Putin will use nukes. I've been on the skeptical side that nukes were out of the question until today.
And this is the equivalent of giving a muderous bully a free pass to do anything he wants.
agsalaska
AG
GarryowenAg said:

Actually It seems inevitable to me.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

GarryowenAg
AG
This been posted yet?
GarryowenAg
AG
agsalaska said:

GarryowenAg said:

I won't say you're wrong. The biggest point I'll drive home tonight is, are we be willing to save Kyiv if it meant losing Norfolk?
agsalaska
AG
GarryowenAg said:

agsalaska said:

GarryowenAg said:

I won't say you're wrong. The biggest point I'll drive home tonight is, are we be willing to save Kyiv if it meant losing Norfolk?
Yea I think A lot of people who accuse people of being 'pro Russian' don't seem to grasp this point.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

GarryowenAg
AG
This hasn't been uploaded in a while. Figured I'd throw it out.

Rossticus
GarryowenAg said:

agsalaska said:

GarryowenAg said:

How confident are you that Putin's appetite is permanently satisfied if you sacrifice the Ukrainian people to appease him?
FIDO95
AG
agsalaska said:

GarryowenAg said:

I'm saddened to say this but I have to agree. The Russian Federation has been on the decline and if guys like Peter Zeihan are correct (mind you in 2014 he predicted a Russian Ukrainian war in 2022 in his book "The Accidental Superpower "), the Federation is done by 2040-50. The question is what happens with their last gasp.

We get directly involved, tactical nukes are highly likely when NATO forces push into Russia. From what we have seen of their forces, that is the only way they stop us. However, no involvement only delays the inevitable.

I think the Western hope was to stay out of the war and let the clock run out. Which may be true but what happens when all the factions rise out of the ashes all armed with their share of nuclear weapons pointed at each other. Additionally, you can't convince me otherwise that some of those warheads end up going to the highest bidder to line some generals pocket. That's standard operating procedure in that part of the world. It's no longer if nuclear war, it's when.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GarryowenAg
AG
Rossticus said:

GarryowenAg said:

agsalaska said:

GarryowenAg said:

How confident are you that Putin's appetite is permanently satisfied if you sacrifice the Ukrainian people to appease him?
I honestly don't know.
Nagler
AG
GarryowenAg said:

agsalaska said:

GarryowenAg said:

I'm curious what the response to a nuke to Norfolk would be.

I assume we don't just go nuking because that's how the world ends but would we just unleash everything we have shy of nukes on Russia and go from there?

This is why I'm a big fan of doing what we can to bleed Russia dry. Keeping American boots off the ground but be ready if it comes to that. I'm still not willing to send Americans to die for Ukraine but we should do what we can to make it hurt for Putin.
agent-maroon
AG
Rossticus said:

GarryowenAg said:

agsalaska said:

GarryowenAg said:

Given the substantial losses in the Ukraine debacle, isn't it pretty much nukes or nothing for Putin if he wants to continue with conquest? He won't live long enough to replace his previous troops & equipment to their previous levels.
Rossticus
GarryowenAg said:

Rossticus said:

GarryowenAg said:

agsalaska said:

GarryowenAg said:

I honestly don't know.

Then we have a problem. Is there a line, when crossed, at which the risk inherent to opposing Russia is finally worth it? Is Tallinn or Helsinki REALLY worth Norfolk? Once millions have already been sacrificed then maybe further offerings to Russia will become easier to stomach.

We've won this game of chicken against Russia before and we did it with strength, conviction, and clarity of purpose. I don't believe that Russia stops advancing forward as long as America is willing to move backward.

We can defeat Russia here and now without having to put boots on the ground or planes in the sky. Just give Ukraine what they need. If you really want to put an end to the risk of direct US involvement then this is your opportunity.

But that's just my opinion. Maybe Putin and Russia will change their stripes.

ADDITIONAL EDIT:

If you truly want to be able to execute a full pivot from Europe to Asia (which is of absolute necessity) then you need to facilitate a sufficiently thorough defeat of the Russian military to allow for future containment by Europe exclusively.

Current events have precipitated extremely favorable conditions by which to ensure such an outcome and an opportunity that should be thoroughly capitalized on. Failure to do so will prove to be a critical error should conflict emerge between the US and China.
lb3
AG
GarryowenAg said:

agsalaska said:

GarryowenAg said:

If that really is the trade (and not a place like Sevastopol), then a nuclear exchange is inevitable.
Rossticus
agent-maroon said:

Rossticus said:

GarryowenAg said:

agsalaska said:

GarryowenAg said:

Given the substantial losses in the Ukraine debacle, isn't it pretty much nukes or nothing for Putin if he wants to continue with conquest? He won't live long enough to replace his previous troops & equipment to their previous levels.

Maybe. Maybe not. It all depends on what degree of support he REALLY has domestically and if he could sell an (fabricated) existential threat from the US and Europe such that he'd be able to execute a mass conscription.

Equipment is another matter and I'm not certain if he could eventually overcome his current short term limitations in a couple of years or not.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the eventual end of Putin does not guarantee the end of the problem. Maybe things get better. Maybe things get worse.
Thymes
Rossticus said:

We can defeat Russia here and now without having to put boots on the ground or planes in the sky. Just give Ukraine what they need. If you really want to put an end to the risk of direct US involvement then this is your opportunity.

Agreed!
AlaskanAg99
AG
For someone with real experience....with GPS + drones + laser range finders, for hitting stationary targets, this should pretty much be cake, right? It'd just be physics with gun + position and target + position....

I understand shoot and scoot and why motorized artillery would be a much more difficult target to hit, but with drones and night vision or FLIR we're talking about a stand off operation. And if the Ukes have motorize artillery then....they should be slaying the RU's.

What am I missing, just range of engagement or a lack of either equipped drones or less than accurate intel?
Rossticus
Rumors that a rail line to the SE of Belgorod has been attacked. Pending confirmation.
Rossticus
Interesting thread.

Full thread: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1513692863216816128.html

Jock 07
AG
agsalaska said:

GarryowenAg said:

agsalaska said:

GarryowenAg said:

Yea I think A lot of people who accuse people of being 'pro Russian' don't seem to grasp this point.

Concur. The flippant dismissal of the idea of nuclear weapon employment is foolish. I think too many folks automatically think of strategic nukes weapon systems while not grasping the fact that there are nuances to nuclear weapons usage within a broader conflict.
Rossticus
Rossticus
Jock 07 said:

agsalaska said:

GarryowenAg said:

agsalaska said:

GarryowenAg said:

Concur. The flippant dismissal of the idea of nuclear weapon employment is foolish. I think too many folks automatically think of strategic nukes weapon systems while not grasping the fact that there are nuances to nuclear weapons usage within a broader conflict.

The nuance is that Russian doctrine dictates they use theater level tactical nukes if they're at irrevocable risk of losing but feel that they can, via employment, tip the scales and force the other side to back down. Escalation to force deescalation.

That doesn't mean you acquiesce to ensure that Russia never loses. Weakness increases the likelihood that Russia will escalate, not the inverse.
AlaskanAg99
AG
If Russia deploys nukes against Ukraine, no country will ever do business again with them. Russia may win the battle with Ukraine, but the entire developed world will shun them forever.

And that's not just doing business, but preventing trade. That's the death.
First Page Last Page
Page 470 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.