***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,598,810 Views | 47845 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Waffledynamics
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MeatDr said:

Would be nice if the Ukes had a couple A-10s in their inventory.
Pinochet
Belton Ag said:

Would be nice if the Ukes had a couple A-10s in their inventory.

Not this again.
richardag
Ulysses90 said:

aggiehawg said:

Ulysses90 said:

aggiehawg said:

Also, could you review this and let me know if it is accurate? This guy is cited by mostly pro-Putin sources but it sounds plausible.

That explanation makes a lot of sense to me. Cluster munitions, whether from an artillery shell or a rocket, are designed with what is referred to as an "expelling charge" rather than a "bursting sharge". The idea is that the submunitions are expelled at ~20m above the ground to scatter the submunitions to cover a large area with fragmentation. The rocket body is mostly undamaged from the detaonation of the expelling charge but will be damaged, but still in one piece, from hitting the ground.
How about the part of being able to determine origin of the missile just from the positioning on the ground of the rocket body? That seems kind of random to me.

I didn't read that far initially but after looking at the photos on that page and verifying that the orientation of the photo with respect to grid north was correct (based on a comparison using Google Earth, it does appear that the rocket body came from an azimuth of ~255 degrees (i,e, azimuth of fire ~75 degrees). That does raise a serious question about the point of origin and who fired the rocket.

I am guessing from appearances in the photos linked above that the rocket body landed ~60 meters short of where the submunitions seem to have impacted in front of the train station. That would indicate a low bursting height about ~10m above ground and the submunitions went farther than the rocket body and impacted at the train station. That scenario seems to make sense from a rough estimate of where you would expect the submunitions to land from a 10m height of burst.

The Tochka-U has a max range of 120km but, a long range shot would suggest a steeper angle of fall and the rocket body would be sticking fins-up out of the ground. It seems to have impacted at a low angle of incidence which suggests that it was fired at a low angle from a point much less distant than the max 120km range.

Unless the orientation of the rocket body was significantly different from the azimuth of fire then is does appear to have been fired from a point of origin in territory to the west-southwest controlled by the Ukrainian forces. Based on the publicly available information, I can't make a rebuttal to the assertion that the Tochka-U seems to have been fired from Ukrainian held territory.

Someone who has experience with US Army or Marine Corps MLRS or ATACM missiles could offer a better interpretation than I can because my only experience is with howitzer shells. Is ~10m HoB correct? could the submunitions have been expelled at a greater height and fallen short of where the rocket body landed (implying that it came from the opposite direction and the rocket body was inverted? I don't know.

Could it be the rocket body released the munitions, then continued in its original flight path? That would put the launch path coming from the NW NE?

edit. I had a brain fart, meant North East. Thanks for the correction by JFABNRGR
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
JFABNRGR
AG
richardag said:

Ulysses90 said:

aggiehawg said:

Ulysses90 said:

aggiehawg said:

Also, could you review this and let me know if it is accurate? This guy is cited by mostly pro-Putin sources but it sounds plausible.

That explanation makes a lot of sense to me. Cluster munitions, whether from an artillery shell or a rocket, are designed with what is referred to as an "expelling charge" rather than a "bursting sharge". The idea is that the submunitions are expelled at ~20m above the ground to scatter the submunitions to cover a large area with fragmentation. The rocket body is mostly undamaged from the detaonation of the expelling charge but will be damaged, but still in one piece, from hitting the ground.
How about the part of being able to determine origin of the missile just from the positioning on the ground of the rocket body? That seems kind of random to me.

I didn't read that far initially but after looking at the photos on that page and verifying that the orientation of the photo with respect to grid north was correct (based on a comparison using Google Earth, it does appear that the rocket body came from an azimuth of ~255 degrees (i,e, azimuth of fire ~75 degrees). That does raise a serious question about the point of origin and who fired the rocket.

I am guessing from appearances in the photos linked above that the rocket body landed ~60 meters short of where the submunitions seem to have impacted in front of the train station. That would indicate a low bursting height about ~10m above ground and the submunitions went farther than the rocket body and impacted at the train station. That scenario seems to make sense from a rough estimate of where you would expect the submunitions to land from a 10m height of burst.

The Tochka-U has a max range of 120km but, a long range shot would suggest a steeper angle of fall and the rocket body would be sticking fins-up out of the ground. It seems to have impacted at a low angle of incidence which suggests that it was fired at a low angle from a point much less distant than the max 120km range.

Unless the orientation of the rocket body was significantly different from the azimuth of fire then is does appear to have been fired from a point of origin in territory to the west-southwest controlled by the Ukrainian forces. Based on the publicly available information, I can't make a rebuttal to the assertion that the Tochka-U seems to have been fired from Ukrainian held territory.

Someone who has experience with US Army or Marine Corps MLRS or ATACM missiles could offer a better interpretation than I can because my only experience is with howitzer shells. Is ~10m HoB correct? could the submunitions have been expelled at a greater height and fallen short of where the rocket body landed (implying that it came from the opposite direction and the rocket body was inverted? I don't know.

Could it be the rocket body released the munitions, then continued in its original flight path? That would put the launch path coming from the NW?

I think you mean NE. Yes at max speed of mach 5.3 it's doubtful that separation or explosion would have booster fall short. KE energy so high it would take an awful lot of counter forces to do that unless the weapon decelerated to a significantly lower speed. I centered the cluster release blast north side of the depot building as well so this line is slightly off. Most killed were behind red building north of depot building. Destroyed cars in front of building north part and one killed behind depot building at SE corner.
richardag
JFABNRGR said:

richardag said:

Ulysses90 said:

aggiehawg said:

Ulysses90 said:

aggiehawg said:

Could it be the rocket body released the munitions, then continued in its original flight path? That would put the launch path coming from the NW?

I think you mean NE. Yes at max speed of mach 5.3 it's doubtful that separation or explosion would have booster fall short. KE energy so high it would take an awful lot of counter forces to do that unless the weapon decelerated to a significantly lower speed. I centered the cluster release blast north side of the depot building as well so this line is slightly off. Most killed were behind red building north of depot building. Destroyed cars in front of building north part and one killed behind depot building at SE corner.
Thanks for the reply and correction, yes I should have said North East.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
sclaff
AG
Destroyed BMP had three lieutenants operating it- sign of depleted manpower. Russia stalling until June reconstitution

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1512976260665909260.html
GAC06
AG
Can we please stop the wild ass guessing about the flight path of a missile we know very little about based on a picture of a piece of booster?
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG
FamousAgg
Makes a great story, but a lot of those have ended up false
nortex97
AG
JFABNRGR
AG
https://t.me/conflictzone/22750

Starstreak Martlett knocks out Orlan drone. There have been several confirmed russian drones brought down this week. The drone war is likely to be one of the key factors to success or failure for UKR, especially in the east. If they can keep russian eyes out of the sky than they can maneuver assets while also not losing them. At the same time if UKR can keep theirs flying the russians will continue to lose assets.

Sorry somehow missed earlier post
GAC06
AG
Posted earlier and was said to be a Martlet not Starstreak. Either way lots of new stuff getting used in Ukraine and knocking down drones is good news
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Moscow's forces were thwarted, too, by pieces of foam mat the Ukrainians call them karemats costing as little as 1.50. The mats prevent Russian thermal imaging drones from detecting human heat. "We held the karemats over our head", said Konoko, explaining how his men moved stealthily in tiny groups at night.
Quote:

In that way soldiers armed with anti-tank weapons supplied by the US, Britain and others could sneak up on the Russians, fire their deadly and accurate missiles and then slip away…

On the second day of the invasion elderly friends of his parents, who did not have a smartphone, called to tell them where they had seen a Russian convoy close to the airport.

Lysovyy immediately opened "STOP Russian War", a Telegram chatbot created by the security services, and input the location. He also put a pin in the Google Maps location, screenshotted it and sent that, plus everything else he knew.

"I think many others made the same report," he said.

About 30 minutes later the convoy was attacked by the Ukrainian military. In the distance the sky glowed orange from the flames, Lysovyy recalled.
Link

Innovative folks, those Ukes.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
ABATTBQ11
AG
sclaff said:

Destroyed BMP had three lieutenants operating it- sign of depleted manpower. Russia stalling until June reconstitution

Seems like Russia could be forced out if a bunch of little green men on vacation showed up and started engaging them with Western weaponry gifted to Ukraine
oldord
AG
Look like something the old
SADF built
lb3
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

sclaff said:

Seems like Russia could be forced out if a bunch of little green men on vacation showed up and started engaging them with Western weaponry gifted to Ukraine
Ukraine already has 10s of thousands of western trained soldiers volunteering for them but as nice as that is, they need matching armor, artillery, anti-aircraft, and air support. Bringing that in covertly is not possible like it is with light infantry which Ukraine has plenty of at the moment.

ETA, Mogadishu might be an example of the limits of light infantry with inadequate armor and air support. The rangers there did a masterful job against overwhelming numbers but without combined arms their superior skill was matched by the shear number of Somali attackers.
aggiehawg
AG
oldord
AG
Crew with no legs bailing out- ouch
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

Retired Gen. David Petraeus said on Sunday that he fears more violence against Ukrainian civilians in the future as Aleksandr Dvornikov takes over as the general in charge of Russia's military invasion.

When asked by CNN's Jake Tapper if Dvornikov's leadership lead to more brutal violence targeting Ukrainian civilians, the former CIA director responded, "I fear that it may."

"Again, the Russians were known in Syria basically for quote 'depopulating' areas," Petraeus said on CNN's "State of the Union," noting that the general was "known as the Butcher of Syria."
Quote:

On Saturday, reports circulated that Dvornikov took over the military operation after Russian forces had failed to capture the Ukrainian capital of Kyiv over a month into Moscow's unprovoked invasion.

"You have this one general that will be in charge of all of this, so the first time you actually have one figure who is the overall commander," Petraeus also told Tapper, noting that he believes "you can expect more of what we have seen."
Link

Hope he goes to the front and gets sniped pretty quickly.
AlaskanAg99
AG
After seeing all the footage, I have no idea how anyone would get into a Russian tank and not be terrified. Those things get hit and the turrets simply explode off.

How the hell is this design still being used. They simply do not survive.
GAC06
AG
The Russian design philosophy for their tanks and fighting vehicles has always been firepower, mobility, and cheap at the expense of protection and survivability. All their tanks and other armored vehicles are much lighter than western equivalents, with a big emphasis on being amphibious. With the right tactics it could be a winning combination. Driving down roads getting picked off isn't the right tactic.
aezmvp
GAC06 said:

The Russian design philosophy for their tanks and fighting vehicles has always been firepower, mobility, and cheap at the expense of protection and survivability. All their tanks and other armored vehicles are much lighter than western equivalents, with a big emphasis on being amphibious. With the right tactics it could be a winning combination. Driving down roads getting picked off isn't the right tactic.
It also originally relied on massive numbers. Losing 500+ tanks while only accomplishing 20% of your objectives is a bad sign. That's almost half of their initial deployment.
txags92
AG
GAC06 said:

The Russians also use a 3 man crew in their tanks, with an auto loader feeding the main gun. The propellant charges for the gun are stored under the turret, and are not blast separated from the crew compartment. So if you can cause a hit that ignites those charges, you blow the turret off the top of the tank. Our tanks use a 4 person crew, with a human loader, and the propellant charges are secured from the crew compartment by blast doors.

The famous line "Quantity has a quality all its own" describes the Russian philosophy. They can crew 25% more tanks with the same number of men by eliminating the human gunner.
Rossticus
WesMaroon&White
AG
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
Full thread:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1513085415716233220.html

Rossticus
richardag
Rossticus said:

Peskov proven to be a heartless monster as is his boss Putin.
CondensedFogAggie

Let the river of heavy armor into Ukraine start flowing
AGS-R-TUFF
AG
MeatDr said:

Looks promising. Any thoughts on what weapon systems this may refer to?
First Page Last Page
Page 464 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.