***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,599,460 Views | 47846 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by sclaff
AGS-R-TUFF
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiehawg said:

This seems badass.

Wow, this thing has incredible off road capability. It could be a very formidable addition to the Uke arsenal, navigating thru muddy terrain to light up Russian armor.
Rossticus
GAC06
AG
MeatDr said:

They use parachute re tarded (have to avoid the filter to use that word) rockets from their multiple launch rocket systems. Perhaps this one.

https://en.missilery.info/missile/smerch/9m528
GAC06
AG
MeatDr said:

That's a little disappointing. If they can fire it from a drone I guess that's something but a helicopter is likely to get smoked trying to shoot one at a frigate. Plus it's for sinking small craft. It has a 30kg warhead as compared to 220kg on a harpoon
TH36
GAC06 said:

MeatDr said:

That's a little disappointing. If they can fire it from a drone I guess that's something but a helicopter is likely to get smoked trying to shoot one at a frigate. Plus it's for sinking small craft. It has a 30kg warhead as compared to 220kg on a harpoon

At this point I imagine they might even find a way to blow some **** up on land with it.
Rossticus
aezmvp
If they can fire it from a drone there is a good chance they can sink or damage a ship. Even damaging a ship forces the Ru Navy to basically hover around port.

And the Brits only use air and sea harpoons. I dont think they have an airframe that can carry it. Its not like NATO missiles can work right on Ru airframes and computers
Ulrich
So let's say Kyiv is saved and Russia effectively gives up on the northern front as long as you maintain a reasonable defense.

If you're Ukraine, what do you do? Kharkiv in the north, Donetsk/Luhansk and Mariupol in the East, and Kherson in the South look like the main fronts now. Where do you focus your efforts, what are your priorities, what is your end goal, what does success look like.

If Russian forces collapse, do the Ukrainians stop at the 2021 borders and sue for peace or try to take back some territory?
Ulrich
I don't know enough about Ukrainian geography to comment very well. Not sure what the invasion routes, natural resources, etc are in the area. It seems to make the most sense to me to try to take Kharkiv (the largest city) back, bleed the Russians in the south, and try to negotiate for antebellum status with referendums in Donetsk, Luhansk, and Crimea to be held within two years and overseen by the UN. No idea how to judge the probabilities of these things happening.
Rossticus
They're making progress near Kherson. Things look good there. Reports seem to indicate positive results near Kharkiv as well. Russia has their sights set on Kramatorsk. They have to take it as the logical jumping off point for continued efforts toward security the east. Ukraine must do everything they can to deny them that victory so I'd expect to see a lot of focus in that area.

There's a reason Russia attacked Ukraine's ability yo evacuate civilians. Ukrainian troops are at a significant disadvantage when tasked with considering protecting the civilian population while conducting operations as Russia tries to advance on the city.
deddog
AG
Are the Ukes even set up for a conventional "invasion" to get back contested territories like Donbas? i don't think they have the manpower, though they've clearly shown the ability to seriously wear down the Russians.
Rossticus
I think it'll depend on what the inherent quality of Russia's remaining manpower looks like. How much of it is comprised of reservists, conscripts, patchwork units redeployed directly from the Kyiv offensive? Is the west providing Ukraine enough force multiplication to outlast Russia's hordes of half assed troops?
Waffledynamics
AG
Rossticus said:

They're making progress near Kherson. Things look good there.
Please explain. It seems like they're hampered by the rigged bridge to me.

Also, I've asked about strategic questions a few times. Nobody really answers because I'm sure nobody really knows. It's an interesting topic, though. We shall see how this plays out.
Rossticus
Waffledynamics said:

Rossticus said:

They've still seen progress in their offensive from Mykolaiv as well as moving from the northeast. They cleared some town to the NE of Kherson a couple of days ago. Due to opsec everything we get on Ukrainian movements is delayed but they have made gains from those two directions based on today's updates. Still trying to find the name of the town mentioned earlier today.
Rossticus
Full thread:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1512913381648334849.html

aezmvp
Waffledynamics said:

Rossticus said:

Also, I've asked about strategic questions a few times. Nobody really answers because I'm sure nobody really knows. It's an interesting topic, though. We shall see how this plays out.
Bridging the Dnieper is an issue. If the Russians blow all the bridges supplies will be difficult. But the Ukes aren't running a traditional armored counter attack. Its mostly leg infantry. So some of that is easier than supporting lots of tanks and IFV in the area. Bridges can be repaired and pontoon bridges can be created. That is why losing Kherson w as s a big blow, natural chokepoint. But it isn't the only spot to cross.
Ulrich
I don't think Ukrainian tanks rolling over defensive positions in Donbass and Sevastopol is an option. But if the Russian military suffers a complete collapse of morale, infantry plus air support plus uprisings could lead to some sort of general retreat. I think this ends in negotiations for Ukrainian territory, just trying to figure out what are realistic options and tactical/strategic goals for Ukraine in the next couple weeks.
Rossticus
Waffledynamics said:

Rossticus said:

RE: Kherson

Rossticus
I'm thinking secure Kherson and Kharkiv while denying Russia's western push towards Kramatorsk. Stalemate them in the east and see what Putin does on May 9th since Intel has been adamant that that's been his mandatory "win by" date.

You see if Putin caves and is willing to negotiate peace while accepting a tiny sliver and declaring victory at home. If so then with appropriate iron clad direct defense guarantees from other nations MAYBE Ukraine agrees to call it a day. Tough ask for Ukraine to give away access to the Azov sea, though. Huge strategic win for Russia.

If Putin's ego is too big and he demands far more land than he's even near to controlling then I think Ukraine tells him to "come and take it" and this thing goes for the long haul.
Rongagin71
AG
Russian appt Top General to Ukraine...

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2022/04/09/moscow-taps-alexander-dvornikov-command-forces-ukraine/9081649539344/
Rossticus
Yep. The orchestrator of some of the worst civilian atrocities in Syria. I imagine terrorizing, abusing, brutalizing, and killing innocents will receive even greater emphasis moving forward. Despite the torturing, bombing, burning, killing, and rape of everyone down to the youngest children thus far I'm afraid you ain't seen nothing yet. Prepared to be sufficiently horrified.
Waffledynamics
AG
Rossticus said:

I'm thinking secure Kherson and Kharkiv while denying Russia's western push towards Kramatorsk. Stalemate them in the east and see what Putin does on May 9th since Intel has been adamant that that's been his mandatory "win by" date.

You see if Putin caves and is willing to negotiate peace while accepting a tiny sliver and declaring victory at home. If so then with appropriate iron clad direct defense guarantees from other nations MAYBE Ukraine agrees to call it a day. Tough ask for Ukraine to give away access to the Azov sea, though. Huge strategic win for Russia.

If Putin's ego is too big and he demands far more land than he's even near to controlling then I think Ukraine tells him to "come and take it" and this thing goes for the long haul.
If I were a betting man, and I'm not, I would bet on it going on for the long haul. Putin would rather die mid-war than admit defeat. Hopefully he gets his preference.
Rossticus
I tend to agree. I don't necessarily think that he's made up his mind on going for the consolation prize so much as hit the reset button. Luckily for Ukraine he's still stuck with the obscene losses he accumulated during the last six weeks of herp-a-derp cluster****ery in the northwest.

I really wish Western Europe would quit hedging and go all in on helping to ensure Ukraine closes out a Russian loss. It signals to me that they really want to be able to patch things up with Russia and go back to pumping even more money to them after this is all over.
Rossticus
China has been sending gear into Serbia all day. We need to step up. This is becoming bigger than Ukraine. If China sees that we're willing to shrink and allow Russia to win with their aid then they learn a lesson from that which doesn't bode well for our security in the future.

deddog
AG
Rossticus said:

China has been sending gear into Serbia all day. We need to step up. This is becoming bigger than Ukraine. If China sees that we're willing to shrink and allow Russia to win with their aid then they learn a lesson from that which doesn't bode well for our security in the future.

From the tweet:

Quote:

Reports later emerged that the planes delivered HQ-22 surface-to-air missile systems to the Serbian military. The Washington Post reported on U.S. government warnings to Belgrade about the purchase in 2020. Serbia reportedly chose the HQ-22 over its approximate Russian counterpart, the S-300, in a surprise move.
Rossticus
I just don't trust that there's nothing else going on and that's all they're dropping. It's too damn convenient.
OKC~Ag

Quote:

Wow, this thing has incredible off road capability. It could be a very formidable addition to the Uke arsenal, navigating thru muddy terrain to light up Russian armor.
It looks "cool" and all but in the era of Jevelins or equivalent fielding military, it is obsolete.

It is too big and with huge size, it's asking to be taken out either by tanks themselves or even individuals with rpo/ Javelins etc...
Ulysses90
AG
OKC~Ag said:

Quote:

It looks "cool" and all but in the era of Jevelins or equivalent fielding military, it is obsolete.

It is too big and with huge size, it's asking to be taken out either by tanks themselves or even individuals with rpo/ Javelins etc...
Surface fire support isn't obsolete and yet all artillery, SP and towed, is vulnerable to direct fire attack. The purpose of that .50 caliber length tube is to allow the howitzer to be positioned far enough behind the FLOT that it can range the enemy. If enemy tanks are in range of those guns then the battle is already lost.

If properly protected, those guns could be very useful to the Ukrainians. Their challenge is that they will struggle to protect those guns from attack by air and Russian counterbattery fire. They will have to move only at night and be well camouflaged under radar scattering netting to avoid detection and they will have to move quickly after firing.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG
We've heard rumors about the howitzers for a couple days now, but the possibility of MiGs is new.
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 463 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.