***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,599,791 Views | 47846 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by sclaff
74OA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Waffledynamics said:

CT'97 said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

The reserve consists of everyone who has completed the 1 year conscription and is still in the age range to be in the military. It's not a formed reserve like the US has, closer to what we would call the Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR) .
So they're not expected to be very high quality troops, basically?
Not at all.
No Spin Ag
74OA said:

Waffledynamics said:

CT'97 said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

The reserve consists of everyone who has completed the 1 year conscription and is still in the age range to be in the military. It's not a formed reserve like the US has, closer to what we would call the Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR) .
Not at all.

Would they be seen by their superiors more like shock troops or cannon fodder?
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
GAC06
AG
My guess is occupation forces. They're going to have to rotate out the units currently there whenever they decide to declare victory for their "special operation"
Waffledynamics
AG
No Spin Ag said:

74OA said:

Waffledynamics said:

CT'97 said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

Not at all.

Would that really make any difference?

Also, this discussion brings the question: why is Russia able to dig in so much easier in the East and South? Is it really just because of such a mass of troop presence in the region at their borders, or is there any actual improvement in troop quality and leadership in those areas?
Rossticus
#1 Mariupol is a long ass way from Odessa.

As to #2, the logistical situation in Mariupol was sufficiently complicated around Mariupol by the time the west started really ponying up assistance such that it wasn't practical. In addition, much of the earlier assistance that was received was going to Kyiv (for obvious reasons).
Waffledynamics
AG
Rossticus said:

As to #2, the logistical situation in Mariupol was sufficiently complicated around Mariupol by the time the west started really ponying up assistance such that it wasn't practical. In addition, much of the earlier assistance that was received was going to Kyiv (for obvious reasons).
Maybe I'm not understanding, but I don't see what the distance has to do with pre-war preparations. Maybe it was just more about prioritizing limited resources to other areas like you mention in your answer to #2.
Rossticus
Waffledynamics said:

Rossticus said:

Maybe I'm not understanding, but I don't see what the distance has to do with pre-war preparations. Maybe it was just more about prioritizing limited resources to other areas like you mention in your answer to #2.

No, my #1 was in response to your #1 regarding launching an anti-ship missile from Odessa to Mariupol.
74OA
AG
No Spin Ag said:

74OA said:

Waffledynamics said:

CT'97 said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

Not at all.

All Russian troops are cannon fodder. Half-trained conscripts and long-discharged reservists are just at the bottom of the expendable heap.
Waffledynamics
AG
Rossticus said:

Waffledynamics said:

Rossticus said:

No, my #1 was in response to your #1 regarding launching an anti-ship missile from Odessa to Mariupol.
OH! Sorry, what I meant was that I wonder how close that ship is to shore. Is it closer to shore than it would be if it was trying to hit Odessa? I was trying to contrast Odessa and Mariupol's anti-ship defenses.
P.U.T.U
AG
MeatDr said:

Just horrible.

I don't know why I never thought about this, before the war Russia did not have enough citizens to keep up with economic production and would collapse within a generation or two. Well if you steal over a half million citizens you may have just saved your country in the long term. Sneaky *******s
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

I don't know why I never thought about this, before the war Russia did not have enough citizens to keep up with economic production and would collapse within a generation or two. Well if you steal over a half million citizens you may have just saved your country in the long term. Sneaky *******s
I have a hard time believing the number is that high. Making a half million people disappear even in a country as big as Russia would only work if they are all shipped o Gulags and Labor Camps.
txags92
AG
Odessa is their biggest port and was far more defensible than Mariupol. The proximity of separatists in the Donbas and Russian forces in Crimea made it unlikely that Ukraine could have adequately maintained a logistics connection to defend the port there, given the Russian Naval presences in Sevastopol. They obviously aren't giving Mariupol up easily and are bleeding alot of Russian forces dry by force them to fight street by street, but it was never a matter of if the Russians would be able to take the city, just how long it would take, how much they would have to destroy it to take it, and how many of their own troops and tanks would be destroyed in the effort.
Touchless
AG
MeatDr said:

This may be a dumb question, but how is there so much remaining of these bombs/missiles laying around? I always assumed any semblance of a missile would be gone after exploding, but a lot of these shells seem largely still in tact at times.
aggiehawg
AG
That's the booster that separates from the war head before impact.
ATX_AG_08
AG
aezmvp said:

Waffledynamics said:

CT'97 said:

ATX_AG_08 said:

B team at best.

It's like saying hey our A team got the sh*t kicked out of them. Get in there B team and go show them how it's done.

Plus after we've lost the element of surprise and the enemy is now dug in.
Waffledynamics
AG
txags92 said:

Odessa is their biggest port and was far more defensible than Mariupol. The proximity of separatists in the Donbas and Russian forces in Crimea made it unlikely that Ukraine could have adequately maintained a logistics connection to defend the port there, given the Russian Naval presences in Sevastopol. They obviously aren't giving Mariupol up easily and are bleeding alot of Russian forces dry by force them to fight street by street, but it was never a matter of if the Russians would be able to take the city, just how long it would take, how much they would have to destroy it to take it, and how many of their own troops and tanks would be destroyed in the effort.
Thinking more on it, I wonder if Ukraine expected more of a naval focus on Odessa due to proximity of the Straits and not expecting Turkey to close them. The bolded part would mean that more solid defense in Mariupol would be better.

I just have to wonder how these people have held out for 6 weeks like this, despite what I'm saying. It's incredible.
Rossticus
Waffledynamics
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I have a hard time believing the number is that high. Making a half million people disappear even in a country as big as Russia would only work if they are all shipped o Gulags and Labor Camps.
Another point: how would Russia have the logistics to ship over 500k people into their country, but not the logistics to feed and supply their army, among other things?
Rossticus
aggiehawg
AG
Waffledynamics said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

Another point: how would Russia have the logistics to ship over 500k people into their country, but not the logistics to feed and supply their army, among other things?
Yeah. The satellites would have picked that up if it were that many people.
Rossticus
"Tactical and fire training at the training ground in Nowa Dba is to deepen the interoperability of and troops and to harmonize Polish military units. Mainly @Zelazna_Dywizja and @82ndABNDiv subunits train with the support of @25BKPow and soldiers from the 3rd Brigade @terytorialsi ."

Ulysses90
AG
Waffledynamics said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I share your skepticism. Kidnapping 500k people is a huge logistical task and I would venture to say that based on historical precedent from the Nazis it requires trains. If the Russians had enough trucks, civilian or otherwise, to transport 500k captives they would be using those to support their Army.
Rossticus
aggiehawg
AG
Oh FFS. Use the Oprah gif: YOU ARE A NAZI AND YOU ARE A NAZI AND YOU ARE A NAZI11
MeatDr
AG
Touchless
AG
aggiehawg said:

Interesting. How far before impact do they generally separate?
Rossticus
aggiehawg said:

Oh FFS. Use the Oprah gif: YOU ARE A NAZI AND YOU ARE A NAZI AND YOU ARE A NAZI11

And yet millions of people globally are buying it. We're learning a lot about the reality of human psychology. It's not a "historical" problem of how people "used to be".

It's the exemplification of how human mental processes, which evolved over hundreds of thousands of years to be beneficial for survival in times of very simple societies/small social groups, have gone from being a feature to a bug when information flows are massive and can be manipulated.

It's not like information control hasn't been weaponized for the sake of population control for a few thousand years but it's really reaching levels of near logical absurdity when available information clearly shows one thing but you choose to believe what another source tells you, with slim to no supportive evidence, and no sound logical support, instead.
Waffledynamics
AG
FriscoKid said:

Are some of those rounds deflecting off? Is that what we are seeing?
Did we ever get a date on when this video was taken? I'm skeptical of Uke vehicles still being operational in Mariupol.
aggiehawg
AG
Touchless said:

aggiehawg said:

Interesting. How far before impact do they generally separate?
Don't really know my guess would be when final acquisition programming tells it the warhead will make it the rest of the way. Not sure how the targeting systems work, well on anything but certainly not on Russian vintage missiles.
Rossticus
Ulysses90 said:

Waffledynamics said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I share your skepticism. Kidnapping 500k people is a huge logistical task and I would venture to say that based on historical precedent from the Nazis it requires trains. If the Russians had enough trucks, civilian or otherwise, to transport 500k captives they would be using those to support their Army.

They're using civilian busses to move them out of Ukraine. Militaries don't use civilian busses for troop transport.

Additionally, just because they can't feed and supply civilians well doesn't mean they won't move them. Russia has a long history of mass civilian displacement and humanely caring for those populations has never been a feature.
Waffledynamics
AG
Rossticus said:

Ulysses90 said:

Waffledynamics said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

They're using civilian busses to move them out of Ukraine. Militaries don't use civilian busses for troop transport.
That's still a hell of a lot of people for busses, and militaries like Russia have indeed been bringing in civilian vehicles for use in this conflict. If they can move that many people and choose to over moving supplies to their flailing army, that still raises the same questions of logistics.

I believe that a lot of people have been moved to Russia. I am very skeptical that 500k have been moved there in 6 weeks.
No Spin Ag
aggiehawg said:

He's looking more and more pathetic with each passing day.
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
Rossticus
Waffledynamics said:

Rossticus said:

Ulysses90 said:

Waffledynamics said:

aggiehawg said:

Quote:

That's still a hell of a lot of people for busses, and militaries like Russia have indeed been bringing in civilian vehicles for use in this conflict.

They may use them for troop transport outside of conflict zones but they're not moving troops around in-theater in these busses. There are numerous videos of Russians loading civilians up and bussing them out.

Your argument that the military's use of civilian transport under certain circumstances negates their willingness or ability to transport civilians is nonsensical.

And yes. It is a hell of a lot of people. But it's also been done time and again by Russia, historically.
Rossticus
Ulysses90 said:

I believe that a lot of people have been moved to Russia. I am very skeptical that 500k have been moved there in 6 weeks.

Well, that's what Russia is publicly claiming. It's not simply an accusation. They, themselves, are stating that they've moved that many people into Russia.

Maybe they just killed a lot of them and they're covering by saying that they bussed them out. But that's certainly not any better.
agent-maroon
AG
Let's say you can cram 150 people on a bus. 500K would mean over 3000 round trips and in an environment where fuel is precious and needed on the battlefield. 250 people per bus is probably not even a possibility and that would still mean 2000 round trips.

Math here suggests that the logistics are simply not possible

Edit to correct math typo
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
First Page Last Page
Page 458 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.