***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,612,406 Views | 47851 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by 74OA
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good thread on what Russia's next moves would look like.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1509701303391326210.html
JoeAggie1010
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

If anything, their opening hypothesis is incorrect. Air superiority will not win this war. Just as it didn't win any wars for the United States. You have to be able to control the ground and the populace. And the Russians simply do not have the force numbers to do that.
True.

Air superiority just hastens the process of denying them the ground and provides cover for Uke ground troops to reclaim territory and drive the Russians out including the Donbas and Crimea.

I understand the Ukrainian frustration on this subject because they do have a tremendous and rare opportunity to do just that, right now. Russia's neck is exposed as far as conventional warfare is concerned.

Hence the plethora of nuclear threats from Russia.
I disagree. Combined arms makes the difference. When the air is clear, the ground forces are able to move freely based on ground conditions.
Seabreeze
Is Russia fixing to go all in? Starting to look like it.
RebelE Infantry
AG
Seabreeze said:

It does appear that they are getting ready to launch an offensive all along the Donbas front to try and deliver a knockout punch to the UKR army. With Mariupol more or less in hand, they will have a little more flexibility with troop deployment along the front to exploit any potential breakthroughs.

The question is how many troops is UKR willing to peel off the Kiev front to try and reinforce Donbas, and how quickly can they get there?

Either way we may be about to see the largest battle on European soil since 1945.
Ulysses90
AG
Quote:

The MIGS would have allowed the Ukes to double or even triple their sorties. I think I read they were flying 5-10 per day with their limited 50-60 birds.

You can make that assertion if you assume that a shortage of air frames is the reason for low sortie generation rate and that the cause is not based on a shortage of runways, fuel, ordnance, repair parts, mechanics, or pilots. The Ukrainians are probably suffering shortages of all of the above.
Seabreeze
RebelE Infantry said:

Seabreeze said:

It does appear that they are getting ready to launch an offensive all along the Donbas front to try and deliver a knockout punch to the UKR army. With Mariupol more or less in hand, they will have a little more flexibility with troop deployment along the front to exploit any potential breakthroughs.

The question is how many troops is UKR willing to peel off the Kiev front to try and reinforce Donbas, and how quickly can they get there?

Either way we may be about to see the largest battle on European soil since 1945.

Agreed, something major is about to go down.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Rossticus said:

I want to see pictures of the T-64s captured or destroyed. If they are actually deploying those, that's a really bad sign for the Russians, and maybe everyone else too. If they are getting that desperate, what is their next step of desperation?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Oryx has the pictures.
Rossticus
ABATTBQ11 said:

Oryx has the pictures.

No isht?
RebelE Infantry
AG
They probably belonged to one of the separatist militias. They're not as well equipped as the RU army.
AgLA06
AG
I know everyone is focused on East Ukraine, but I have a bad feeling about it. It makes more sense to me to feint an all out attack from the east and launch the real attack from Belarus down the Polish border to cut Ukraine off from Europe. Then it's just a matter of time until game over.

Rossticus
Separatists would be out of their lane that far in unless the regulars took possession of it on their way through, no?
deddog
AG
Rossticus said:

Don't see this happening. It's like saying M1A2s and M109s would be game changers.
The time to arm and train Ukraine with these weapons was in the last 5 years. I seriously doubt the Ukes have the ability to be trained with these weapons in such short a time. it would definitely be a serious escalation.
ABATTBQ11
AG
They have 10 T-64's listed with photos
Rossticus
AgLA06 said:

I know everyone is focused on East Ukraine, but I have a bad feeling about it. It makes more sense to me to feint an all out attack from the east and launch the real attack from Belarus down the Polish border to cut Ukraine off from Europe. Then it's just a matter of time until game over.

Intel would be able to see that type of force amassing.
An L of an Ag
AG
Except that the movement of vehicles, etc. eastwards is pretty damn clear. Not to mention the already-demonstrated horrible RUS OpSec, compromised comms.

Edit: sorry, meant this response to AgLa06. Drowning my basketball disappointment.
AgLA06
AG
Then why is Ukraine holding so many troops in the west?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Here's one

RebelE Infantry
AG
It's my understanding that the DPR and LPR Peoples Militias fighting on the front side by side with the regular army.
Rossticus
deddog said:

Rossticus said:

Don't see this happening. It's like saying M1A2s and M109s would be game changers.
The time to arm and train Ukraine with these weapons was in the last 5 years. I seriously doubt the Ukes have the ability to be trained with these weapons in such short a time. it would definitely be a serious escalation.

FWIW

cbr
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Here's one

If thats a t64 seems like its highly modded. Im no expert anymore but that looks like a 90 iirc
Rossticus

Thread:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1509726266945155078.html

deddog
AG
Rossticus said:

deddog said:

Rossticus said:

FWIW

LOL I was proved wrong in 1 post. Clearly i know nothing :-)
It seems like counter battery weapons would need a significant amount of training no?
Rossticus
He said "wider training". Maybe they're sending "contractors" to help operate and train.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Our favorite no-helmet-wearing redhead spotted in Nova Basan at the 21 second mark.

JFABNRGR
AG
Seabreeze said:

RebelE Infantry said:

Seabreeze said:

Agreed, something major is about to go down.

I don't really see any major difference other than a new commander who has been given an ultimatum to succeed or else. This commander may be a better combat leader but he still has to work with the same troops and the same equipment. Unless something gets better with russian air then we will likely see units being commanded to move forward at all costs on all eastern and southern fronts, possibly including Odessa. In some places they are likely to make gains and in other places they are likely to get slaughtered.

Ps if he is a good combat leader we should see the poland supply line continually attacked along with better combined arms actions.
Rossticus
Charpie
AG
flakrat
AG
Charpie said:

$50K lawsuit
Rossticus

Waffledynamics
AG
What is that, like $5?

ETA: I looked it up. It's about $49,000 as I write this. Oh no.
Rossticus
Eliminatus
AG
Russians are digging in. Makes sense the Ukes would be taking more casualties unfortunately. The first few weeks were crucial of course but this next month or two is going to be what truly decides the new outcome those valiant early days bought them I think.

Russia is increasingly looking to take a half win while the Ukes remain steadfast in their core demands. The war has already changed and now it is only up to Russia(Putin) to decide how deep this rabbit hole can really go.
3rd and 2
AG
Charpie said:

What is that, $3.50? I'll pony up $3,50.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Charpie said:

I hope Wikipedia's response to that is to add to the article about the Russian invasion that Russia threatened them with fines to try to get it taken down
First Page Last Page
Page 420 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.