***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,627,947 Views | 47859 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by 74OA
Robk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MeatDr said:

Lost in translation? or am I missing something?

Being told not to destroy buildings. Is this propaganda to start pushing the war crimes down the chain of command?
Polaris75
Only live cam I can find

Burn-It
AG
Ignorant question, has UKES received the C-Ram anti-air system yet? Watch some demonstrations on YT, I know little, but what I've seen, these seem pretty useless against RU bombers or much else, maybe choppers. Flame away if necessary.
AKA 13-0
Not a Bot
AG
These are expensive and would likely take a while to install and train to maintain. We are giving them equipment they can quickly adapt and use, and apart from the big SAM systems like S-300 (which they are already familiar with) everything we are giving them can be easily moved around.
bmks270
AG
Burrus86 said:

FIDO95 said:

VaultingChemist said:

Handling large numbers of Russian POWs. Not a logistics problem most would have foreseen at this point.
I sometimes wonder if the right play is to send them back to Russia en mass. Deliver them to one of the Baltic states and let them walk across the Russian border there in the light of day. Make it hard for Russia to hide the truth. Sure Putin may may force them back to the front line. However, I would venture to say that many of them would be utterly demoralized and unwilling to fight. The Ukrainians wouldn't have to feed or guard them. Best of all, they would likely be a cancer to the fighting spirit if sent back to war or to the Russian narrative if sent back home.
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I would put the Russian POWs in the major cities being attacked. If Russians can attack children and other civilians, they can run the risk of hitting their own troops.

Winning over the Russian fighters with mercy may be enough to win the war. Not sure what the best way to do that is.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Burrus86 said:

FIDO95 said:

VaultingChemist said:

Handling large numbers of Russian POWs. Not a logistics problem most would have foreseen at this point.
I sometimes wonder if the right play is to send them back to Russia en mass. Deliver them to one of the Baltic states and let them walk across the Russian border there in the light of day. Make it hard for Russia to hide the truth. Sure Putin may may force them back to the front line. However, I would venture to say that many of them would be utterly demoralized and unwilling to fight. The Ukrainians wouldn't have to feed or guard them. Best of all, they would likely be a cancer to the fighting spirit if sent back to war or to the Russian narrative if sent back home.
This may be an unpopular opinion, but I would put the Russian POWs in the major cities being attacked. If Russians can attack children and other civilians, they can run the risk of hitting their own troops.

They'd probably target those soldiers. It's easy to hide the dead, it's harder to hide a POW displayed on international media. Call them deserters who joined Ukraine, level the building, then poof, no POWs
pv
Most useful thread on here right now
Eliminatus
AG
Captain Positivity said:

Chechnya is run by a puppet leader installed by Putin after the Chechen wars. His name is Ramzan Kadyrov. He's allowed to basically do whatever he wants in Chechnya, which is part of Russia but also a "independent republic" with special autonomy. Any time you see reference to "Kadyrovites" they are referring to his personal army. They are probably the most brutal and sadistic people on the battlefield right now.

A hell of a lot of them got wiped out near Kyiv in the first few days of the war.

A lot of factions still want Chechen independence from Russia and have vivid memories of what Russia did there. Chechnya is where Russia first tested the strategy they are applying in Aleppo and Mariupol.

Not surprising to see opposition Chechens joining the fight against Russia.

Great summary!

To really understand how Chechnya came to be where it is today, you have to study it and frankly, it is an absolute mess. I've read two dedicated books on it and I still feel like I barely understand how and why we have the situation we have in Ukraine now as far as the Chechnyans go.

In an completely oversimplicated nut shell, from my understanding, it stems from a fundamental Islam uprising in Dagestan that Russia was like "Nope" and then counter invaded. There was always a very strong pro Russian backing in Chechnya and it ended up in a civil war in all but name, but with Russia as the head and hammer of one side. They both did awful things to each other. Same stuff we are seeing in Ukraine. Even after Russia left Chechnya, there was a low grade insurgency they fought for years. Y'all will probably remember the elementary school that was taken over by terrorists and hundreds of kids died. That was Chechnyan terrorists. Kadyrov was given full power to do whatever it took and the Chechnyan on Chechnyan(Russian) fighting was brutal.

To their credit though, Kadyrov won the war against terror and finally killed enough terrorists that their main leader sued for peace and got it. I remember that clearly because that was around the time I left service, after we failed miserably to beat "terror".

We are seeing the Pro Russian forces at play here, but large parts of Chechnya never forgot and sure as hell never forgave Russia and THOSE people are working with the Ukes now.

In all honesty IMO, there are more similarities between the Russian reasoning of this war and the Chechnyan one than not. It very well could be why Russia threw the dice at all. It worked there back in '99, why not '22? Russia just miscalculated gravely and it may cost them everything in the end, or at least the Russia they recognized pre Feb. Fighting fundy islamists taking your land is quite different than invading a sovereign nation of proud farmers. Farmers fight, don't they know? Dumbasses.
Eliminatus
AG
Burn-It said:

Ignorant question, has UKES received the C-Ram anti-air system yet? Watch some demonstrations on YT, I know little, but what I've seen, these seem pretty useless against RU bombers or much else, maybe choppers. Flame away if necessary.

Matter of scale. The gun version is huge and requires a massive truck and accompanying K-band radar. It can't reach very high due to the timed detonations of the rounds. So bombers are out. It could shred helos but matter of scale dictates MUCH easier to just keep using MANPADS. It has capabilities against slow moving projectiles like rockets and mortars but it has to be precisely placed as the coverage area is relatively small. You would need dozens to get even close to covering Kiev alone. Plus, the Russians are still mainly relying on arty shelling, which the CRAM gun can't kill. Ultimately not worth it, IMO
Eliminatus
AG
Captain Positivity said:

Saab and the Swedes hit it out of the park with the NLAW. I think it was co-developed by the Brits.

Cheap, portable, deadly, guided using a novel method, easy to pick up and use with minimal training.

It's incredible. It, and others like it sure to follow shortly, may be the final death knell of the large conventional mechanized militaries we are used to. I don't say that lightly as that raging debate has fascinated me for years but I try to stay as objective as possible.

Economies of scale. Take a motivated individual, teach them how to use it in under an hour, said individual is able to eliminate a multimillion dollar MBT with a highly trained crew, effortlessly and reliably. Do that over several hundred people and you can stop an army.

Anti armor has always been a huge danger but we have never seen them used in the numbers we have until this war. Every military in the world is taking notes on this fight and I will poop slap if there is not doctrinal and planning changes somewhere for someone moving forward. These weapons proven lethality is a new thing to factor. Especially since they are passive.
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Speaking of Colonels:

RogerEnright
when you say cheap, how much do you think they run?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
MeatDr
AG
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
MeatDr beat me to it!
MeatDr
AG
Explains the document burning yesterday.

techno-ag
AG
Eliminatus said:

Captain Positivity said:

Saab and the Swedes hit it out of the park with the NLAW. I think it was co-developed by the Brits.

Cheap, portable, deadly, guided using a novel method, easy to pick up and use with minimal training.

It's incredible. It, and others like it sure to follow shortly, may be the final death knell of the large conventional mechanized militaries we are used to. I don't say that lightly as that raging debate has fascinated me for years but I try to stay as objective as possible.

Economies of scale. Take a motivated individual, teach them how to use it in under an hour, said individual is able to eliminate a multimillion dollar MBT with a highly trained crew, effortlessly and reliably. Do that over several hundred people and you can stop an army.

Anti armor has always been a huge danger but we have never seen them used in the numbers we have until this war. Every military in the world is taking notes on this fight and I will poop slap if there is not doctrinal and planning changes somewhere for someone moving forward. These weapons proven lethality is a new thing to factor. Especially since they are passive.
Kinda reminds of when longbow archers started picking off armored knights back in the day.
I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris

Vote for Trump.
He took a bullet for America.

P.U.T.U
AG
I think if Russia gets into the larger cities we will see some EFPs to take out some armored vehicles
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG
MeatDr
AG
JFABNRGR
AG
MeatDr said:

Hopefully tight enough they can receive some attention from multiple artillery batteries at the same time.
DOG XO 84
AG
MeatDr said:

He should know....stealing the country next door is thievery as well.
MeatDr
AG
wangus12
AG
MeatDr said:

I get the feeling that Ukes are a spiteful lot and I love it.
Deplorable

Russia control red circles
Russia advances red arrows
Ukraine defenses blue
Active fighting yellow
ABATTBQ11
AG
MeatDr said:

Pro tip: No one gets sanctioned for invading countries that are real threats or autocracies that go around murdering people. If you think you're going to be sanctioned, you're probably in the wrong.

It's like punching someone. Punch a criminal or the person no one likes and no one cares. Punch a random person on the street because you think they looked at you funny and you're going to jail.
MeatDr
AG
wangus12 said:

MeatDr said:

I get the feeling that Ukes are a spiteful lot and I love it.

In that same vein...

dlp3719
EMY92
AG
MeatDr said:

Hopefully the seized funds will go to help rebuild Ukraine.
PJYoung
AG
Great update from John

Robk

Another Great Telenko thread. Hope he is correct, and Maripol can hold out, but he estimates in 6-12 days there could be a counter offensive and resupply.
First Page Last Page
Page 376 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.