***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,631,055 Views | 47859 Replies | Last: 15 hrs ago by 74OA
USAFAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

cbr said:

Green2Maroon said:

Ukraine does have over 800 tanks. I hope they understand how best to utilize them in this. May be pretty important to keep the supply lines to Kyiv open, for one thing.
From what i am seeing, it appears that the era of the armored vehicle is over. They appear to be obsoleted by man portable missiles now. Hell close air aupport may not be far behind.

Id be advancing those darpa/heinlein armored infantry suits now and forget about tanks. Theyre only useful against civilians now it seems.

No. Armor will catch up. We'll likely see more scuff countermeasures to defeat ATGM's, like electronic countermeasures to defeat their seeker heads or lasers or something to actively shoot them down.

Right...the "gun v. armor" race will continue. And the Russians aren't/can't using them right. The tank is "dead" has been a mantra for decades that has been proven wrong again and again.

12thFan/Websider Since 2003
chickencoupe16
AG
USA*** said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

cbr said:

Green2Maroon said:

Ukraine does have over 800 tanks. I hope they understand how best to utilize them in this. May be pretty important to keep the supply lines to Kyiv open, for one thing.
From what i am seeing, it appears that the era of the armored vehicle is over. They appear to be obsoleted by man portable missiles now. Hell close air aupport may not be far behind.

Id be advancing those darpa/heinlein armored infantry suits now and forget about tanks. Theyre only useful against civilians now it seems.

No. Armor will catch up. We'll likely see more scuff countermeasures to defeat ATGM's, like electronic countermeasures to defeat their seeker heads or lasers or something to actively shoot them down.

Right...the "gun v. armor" race will continue. And the Russians aren't/can't using them right. The tank is "dead" has been a mantra for decades that has been proven wrong again and again.

The Marines have abandoned tanks in favor of missiles. They also have hyper-mobility aims with their new doctrine focused on area denial and island hopping in the Pacific, so their decision is certainly not applicable across all battlefields, but it does make you think, especially combined with what we're seeing in Ukraine.

I do tend to agree that the tank is not dead. I think western tanks would fare better than the Russian ones are and that active defenses like the Trophy system will even the playing field, at least for a time.
USAFAg
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

USA*** said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

cbr said:

Green2Maroon said:

The Marines have abandoned tanks in favor of missiles. They also have hyper-mobility aims with their new doctrine focused on area denial and island hopping in the Pacific, so their decision is certainly not applicable across all battlefields, but it does make you think, especially combined with what we're seeing in Ukraine.

I do tend to agree that the tank is not dead. I think western tanks would fare better than the Russian ones are and that active defenses like the Trophy system will even the playing field, at least for a time.

Right. Whether it be a return to the original doctrine of the USMC, or was budget driven (the Marines had become a poorer, smaller Army Corps), the lethality of modern anti-armor weapons have put a dent is the "tank terror" that used to prevail.

Tanks aren't dead, they just need to adapt...again.

Who?mikejones!
Not a Bot
AG
wbt5845
AG
This would be bad.
Keegan99
AG
That would mean all diplomatic missions closed, correct? No more Russian embassies or consulates here, and no more US embassies or consulates there.
black_ice
Agthatbuilds said:

It begins.
No Spin Ag
Keegan99 said:

That would mean all diplomatic missions closed, correct? No more Russian embassies or consulates here, and no more US embassies or consulates there.

Aside from what you mentioned, and of course nuking us, what else could come from this?
There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the later ignorance. Hippocrates
SPSAg05
AG

If it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck.......
Waffledynamics
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Hasn't this happened before?
ABATTBQ11
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

USA*** said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

cbr said:

Green2Maroon said:

Yeah. The tank doesn't belong on every battlefield. The Marines are smart to plan for that kind of warfare as tanks just won't be useful in any of those scenarios. Other armor, yes, but not tanks. They're too bulky and slow. The biggest threat they'll face is from offshore, and that's also where they'll need to project the most power.
Waffledynamics
AG
SPSAg05 said:

If it looks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck.......

Yeah this looks like bluster designed to make the US cower. The correct response is to double down.

They will push where there is mush. Stop giving them mush.
rgag12
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Hasn't this happened before?

Yes. Don't put too much stock into it
aggiehawg
AG
No Spin Ag said:

Keegan99 said:

Aside from what you mentioned, and of course nuking us, what else could come from this?
Communications would have to go back channel, meaning our military would be in contact with their military. Or it could be back channel through the CIA to the GRU or FSB.

If back channels are also closed, then another country that still has relations with Russia can function as our proxy.
RebelE Infantry
AG
aggiehawg said:

No Spin Ag said:

Keegan99 said:

Communications would have to go back channel, meaning our military would be in contact with their military. Or it could be back channel through the CIA to the GRU or FSB.

If back channels are also closed, then another country that still has relations with Russia can function as our proxy.

Most likely Israel in this case.

Blackbeard94
AG
I read an opinion piece in the WSJ by Bing West. He argues that Biden should set the standard that no matter what happens in Ukraine, the West does not lift sanctions until Putin is gone.

I think this is the right approach. Even with a complete Russian defeat and withdrawal, we cannot accept a leader on the world stage that would order up this kind of savagery.

This also would help any fence sitters in Russia to realize they need to take this guy out. Would serve as deterrent to future aggressors as well.

Biden would need to lead but this should not be a heavy lift given the mood among our Nato allies.
evan_aggie
AG
Absolutely. He may be turning into a ruthless dictator as time goes on, but he will be ousted (somehow) when his country regresses 50+ years. Couple that with a strong desire for EU to actually shift oil/gas consumption to alternatives.

Hopefully they don't have a short memory however this is concluded.
wtmartinaggie
AG
When you run out of guided missiles, the only thing dead is whatever is in front of the tank.
LostInLA07
AG
deddog
AG
Where are the Neptunes?

rgag12
AG
I've followed this guy ever since a poster on here posted a round table that featured him. His takes seem very objective and level-headed, and he comes on to this podcast every week for a high-level tactical discussion about the war for those who are interested.

Build It
AG
Exactly, when do we see these ships start sinking? Waiting until the landing ships are full of troops? We know the Ukes have Neptune's.

Hoping they start sinking before they shell Odessa into oblivion.
Not a Bot
AG
USAFAg
AG
Build It said:

Exactly, when do we see these ships start sinking? Waiting until the landing ships are full of troops? We know the Ukes have Neptune's.

Hoping they start sinking before they shell Odessa into oblivion.

Wait for 'phibs. Warships can't take the town away from you, troops can....

May not have enough Neptune's for everyone.

option short side
AG
Robk said:

Interesting read.

Great Post. Amazing how not having professional NCOs bleeds into every aspect.
BlueSmoke
ABATTBQ11 said:

chickencoupe16 said:

USA*** said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

cbr said:

Green2Maroon said:

Yeah. The tank doesn't belong on every battlefield. The Marines are smart to plan for that kind of warfare as tanks just won't be useful in any of those scenarios. Other armor, yes, but not tanks. They're too bulky and slow. The biggest threat they'll face is from offshore, and that's also where they'll need to project the most power.
We learned early on that tanks minus robust infantry support can be helpless. Especially in urban settings.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
74OA
AG
BlueSmoke said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

chickencoupe16 said:

USA*** said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

cbr said:

Green2Maroon said:

We learned early on that tanks minus robust infantry support can be helpless. Especially in urban settings.
Combined arms warfare is still as relevant as ever. Good commanders know how to weight each combat arm to best suit the operational environment, though. The Russian commanders have been doing none of the above.
deddog
AG
BlueSmoke said:

The Russians should know that from Chechnya. I've heard audio of terrified Russian conscripts asking for help as the Chechens picked them off in Grozny, and terrified conscripts refusing to dismount.

Unfathomably, the conscripts are learning the same lessons again.
JFABNRGR
AG
74OA said:

BlueSmoke said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

chickencoupe16 said:

USA*** said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

cbr said:

Green2Maroon said:

Combined arms warfare is still as relevant as ever. Good commanders know how to weight each combat arm to best suit the operational environment, though. The Russian commanders have been doing none of the above.
Unfortunately they are getting alot better. Especially with drones and this may turn momentum much into the favor of russia. I suspect Zelensky recognizes this with his rhetoric lately.

https://funker530.com/video/russian-mod-releases-footage-of-missile-strike-on-kyiv-shopping-mall/

3rd and 2
AG
Captain Positivity said:

They shoot it down?
Jetpilot86
AG
Not likely, the normal procedure is to send up/over a few fighters to point the plane in the proper direction home. Usually accompanied by a bunch of bluster by all sides on the emergency frequencies. Same game gets played by the Navies on a regular basis between Taiwan, Japan, South Korea and/vs China.
docb
AG
They should have shot it down if they didn't. No time to play games.
Jetpilot86
AG
docb said:

They should have shot it down if they didn't. No time to play games.
That is how you drag NATO into this for sure. Now if RU shoots or drops, then it's game on....
GAC06
AG
Turkey shot down a Russian Fencer a few years back and nothing came of it.
First Page Last Page
Page 366 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.