***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,632,183 Views | 47864 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by LMCane
JFABNRGR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Waffledynamics said:

lb3 said:

Waffledynamics said:

lb3 said:

Captain Positivity said:

People were asking if this was more reminiscent of 1979 or 1914.

Well…

These are textbook prepared fighting positions. Anytime infantry stays in a given place for any length of time, they should be constantly trying to improve their fighting positions. This eventually involves the use of an entrenching tool (small shovel).

You will notice firing platforms cut into many of these holes. These shelves are cut to allow machine gun bypods (and infantry elbows) to rest below the surface so the machine gunner has a slightly lower profile.

Here is a chapter on their construction.
https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/21-75/Ch2.htm#s5

Surely modern warfare makes trenches much less effective in the past, right? This does not seem like a conflict that has rewarded static positions, big targets, and Russian stubbornness so far, if my amateur mind can tell.
These aren't trenches. If your convoy is 'stuck' for two days you dig holes to provide protection from direct and more importantly in this conflict, indirect fire.

We haven't seen much of this in the past 20 years fighting insurgencies but I distinctly remember seeing footage of Marines on the way to Baghdad sleeping on the ground in shallow holes. I suspect they hated their company commander making them dig every time they stopped but it's good practice even when the enemy isn't expected to assault your position.

Sorry, maybe I'm misremembering something I saw elsewhere/earlier in the thread. I thought I had seen something more extensive than these holes.

I think those were Uke trenches.

Digging fighting positions absolutely sux, especially when your about to finish it, maybe even get some rest, then your ordered to move on or worse bury it.

I am confident if you asked anyone whos been bracketed by indirect fire they would tell you that they couldn't get their hole deep enough or never expressed regret from going through the effort.

Those positions were so masterfully dug I suspect they all had a chance to observe a column blown to pieces and had a good officer.
fullback44
AG
Waffledynamics said:

Rossticus said:

Is that from some kind of Uke tank? Incredible footage. Brutal.

Man, that is some brutal combat, not sure how anyone survives that kind of fighting, I sure hope all those civilians got out of there, there will be nothing left when they are done
TXAggie2011
AG
I think more and more analysts out there are finally realizing it, but the idea that once the Russians "take" Mariupol they'll be able to turn north and unleash hell isn't correct.

Those who make it out of there are going to be absolutely spent.
Ulysses90
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

I think more and more analysts out there are finally realizing it, but the idea that once the Russians "take" Mariupol they'll be able to turn north and unleash hell isn't correct.

The Russian veterans of this war are going to be a real problem for Putin. The cavalier disregard for the human toll of fighting in the first WW demonstrated by the Tsar gave the Bolsheviks a lot of popular support at the time...until the Bolsheviks showed the world what REAL disregard for the human toll looks like.
Waffledynamics
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Interesting observation. Has Russia been having similar logistical issues in the South that would make them stall so much like in the North? I thought they were having a little easier of a time moving around in the South but have been bogged down trying to take Mariuopol.
Polaris75
The official UN death count for civilians in the war up thru yesterday is under 900.

All the destruction we see, you would expect thousands of civilians but that simply is not the case per the UN.

Russia allows the citizens to leave and then flattens the city. That is their MO.

They have lost 1000s of troops and equipment but they are not wanting to slaughter the citizens. Apparently, the citizens want to slaughter the invaders. Which is okay with me.

MSM is pushing hard for a WW3. I still think it is a family feud and we have no business in this war.

Google official civil deaths in Russia Ukraine war to verify.

lb3
AG
JFABNRGR said:

Waffledynamics said:

lb3 said:

Waffledynamics said:

lb3 said:

Captain Positivity said:

Well…

These are textbook prepared fighting positions. Anytime infantry stays in a given place for any length of time, they should be constantly trying to improve their fighting positions. This eventually involves the use of an entrenching tool (small shovel).

You will notice firing platforms cut into many of these holes. These shelves are cut to allow machine gun bypods (and infantry elbows) to rest below the surface so the machine gunner has a slightly lower profile.

Surely modern warfare makes trenches much less effective in the past, right? This does not seem like a conflict that has rewarded static positions, big targets, and Russian stubbornness so far, if my amateur mind can tell.
These aren't trenches. If your convoy is 'stuck' for two days you dig holes to provide protection from direct and more importantly in this conflict, indirect fire.

We haven't seen much of this in the past 20 years fighting insurgencies but I distinctly remember seeing footage of Marines on the way to Baghdad sleeping on the ground in shallow holes. I suspect they hated their company commander making them dig every time they stopped but it's good practice even when the enemy isn't expected to assault your position.

Sorry, maybe I'm misremembering something I saw elsewhere/earlier in the thread. I thought I had seen something more extensive than these holes.

Digging fighting positions absolutely sux, especially when your about to finish it, maybe even get some rest, then your ordered to move on or worse bury it.

I am confident if you asked anyone whos been bracketed by indirect fire they would tell you that they couldn't get their hole deep enough or never expressed regret from going through the effort.

Those positions were so masterfully dug I suspect they all had a chance to observe a column blown to pieces and had a good officer.
I think they're Russian. The firing platforms are facing away from the road. Ukes would be further away facing the roads.
clw04
AG
Polaris75 said:

The official UN death count for civilians in the war up thru yesterday is under 900.

All the destruction we see, you would expect thousands of civilians but that simply is not the case per the UN.

Russia allows the citizens to leave and then flattens the city. That is their MO.

They have lost 1000s of troops and equipment but they are not wanting to slaughter the citizens. Apparently, the citizens want to slaughter the invaders. Which is okay with me.

MSM is pushing hard for a WW3. I still think it is a family feud and we have no business in this war.

Google official civil deaths in Russia Ukraine war to verify.

Such propaganda. The civilian deaths will grow exponential for years after the war as recovery occurs and people find out their family members didn't make it out of Ukraine.
GAC06
AG
Or maybe the UN doesn't know. Russians level cities whether people evacuated or not. Plus there are lots of examples of deliberate targeting of theaters, hospitals, schools, etc
MeatDr
AG
lb3 said:

JFABNRGR said:

Waffledynamics said:

lb3 said:

Waffledynamics said:

lb3 said:

Captain Positivity said:

Well…

I think they're Russian. The firing platforms are facing away from the road. Ukes would be further away facing the roads.

That green box with a star at the beginning of the video is a Russian MRE box. Definitely Russian trenches.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
And there it is

Not a Bot
AG
Is that a reputable source?
Not a Bot
AG
Not a Bot
AG
Captain Positivity said:

Is that a reputable source?

Looked him up. Veteran from the war in Iraq and an editor with Rolling Stone magazine. And one would think he might be in a position to know people who know people who would know about these sort of things, but also Rolling Stone magazine hasn't exactly been the most accurate news outlet over the last several years.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Also looked him up, and pretty impressive credentials.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Who?mikejones!
Captain Positivity said:

Figured our guys have been in country since before this kicked off
wangus12
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Captain Positivity said:

Irregardless, that information should never be made public.
LMCane
No Spin Ag said:

I was watching a guy who was in the military on YouTube saying that we haven't given the Ukes our more advanced weapons yet.

For those who know, what types of weapons do we have that are even more powerful and effective than what we've given, because it seems as if what we've given is very effective already.
Patriot PAC-3 MEADS
Iron Dome
and obviously we have not provided any fixed wing or rotary aircraft
Valtrex11
wangus12 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

Captain Positivity said:

Irregardless, that information should never be made public.

Russians knew before this guy
MagnumLoad
Indeed. It is probably out there but not useful to elaborate.
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
Rock1982
AG
Looks like another 2S33, Russia's best SPARTY
Rossticus
Rossticus
Rossticus
74OA
AG
Ukrainians deliberately flooding around Kiev to limit Russian options. SITREP
Rossticus
Rossticus
Ferk Belarus

Rossticus
aggiehawg
AG
Rossticus
74OA
AG
Rossticus
Rossticus
Not a Bot
AG
Rossticus said:

Russia going to have a hard time installing puppet leaders if they keep getting shot.
First Page Last Page
Page 361 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.