***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,632,179 Views | 47864 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by LMCane
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

So they used a SAM to strike a ground target?
I'm confused as well.

What are hypersonic missiles designed to do?
B-1 83
AG
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I'm confused as well.

Travel faster than defenses can keep up with
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
aezmvp
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I'm confused as well.

They can maneuver while traveling faster than a missile explosion. Makes them hard to kill.
ttu_85
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I'm confused as well.

Think Crabtree streaking past defenders.

Edit: Wes Welker would actually be a better comparison.
aggiehawg
AG
So other than defeat anti missile systems such as the Patriot system, is the bang worth the buck? Are they a potential delivery system for a nuclear weapon? Is that the takeaway? That they have hypersonic missiles that actually work, cannot be intercepted and can deliver a small nuclear weapon anytime Putin wants to order that?

A threat?
Ag8556
AG
Hypersonic weapons are supposed to be the next generation in missile technology. The kind of damage they do will be based on the payload of the warhead attached to the missile. It could be conventional or nuclear. Delivery would be limited by the range of the missile.

I have not seen any independent confirmation that the Russians have actually used a hypersonic missile. Even if they have, it would have been one of their experimental, prototype units. They will not have many of these and they were probably developed at huge expense. This seems counter to various reports of the Russians holding back on use of precision guided munitions because of the limited supply and large cost of the weapons.

I think this is probably a propaganda statement trying to pump up Russian military capability.
aggiehawg
AG
Ag8556 said:

Hypersonic weapons are supposed to be the next generation in missile technology. The kind of damage they do will be based on the payload of the warhead attached to the missile. It could be conventional or nuclear. Delivery would be limited by the range of the missile.

I have not seen any independent confirmation that the Russians have actually used a hypersonic missile. Even if they have, it would have been one of their experimental, prototype units. They will not have many of these and they were probably developed at huge expense. This seems counter to various reports of the Russians holding back on use of precision guided munitions because of the limited supply and large cost of the weapons.

I think this is probably a propaganda statement trying to pump up Russian military capability.
Thank you. That's pretty much what I was thinking. More of a propaganda type stunt than introducing a new and plentiful weapon into the Ukrainian theater.

Coupled with the news that Patriot systems are being placed in Baltic States so they can send their missile defense units to Ukraine, appears to me, Putin is trying to saber rattle.
agent-maroon
AG
Using these advanced weapons would be a tacit admission that their current weapon supplies are running low and/or ineffective, no?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
revvie
AG
agent-maroon said:

Using these advanced weapons would be a tacit admission that their current weapon supplies are running low and/or are ineffective, no?
How many of these does Russia have in its arsenal. From what I have read they are very expensive. This must have been a high value target. I have read that unit cost is in $10-100 million range.
RebelE Infantry
AG
agent-maroon said:

Using these advanced weapons would be a tacit admission that their current weapon supplies are running low and/or are ineffective, no?

Not necessarily. We have had over 2 decades of constant war to test our new weapons technologies in real world environments. This is Russias chance to combat prove their new weapons.
Ag8556
AG
I am not going to believe they have any operational hypersonic missiles until there is independent confirmation. Putin has been popping off about Russia developing the capability for quite some time. We have been developing the capability as well as the Chinese.

I don't believe the Russians have the funds to truly develop this on their own. Even if they were throwing money at it for R&D, how much is really going into the R&D versus being embezzled?
K2-HMFIC
RebelE Infantry said:

agent-maroon said:

Not necessarily. We have had over 2 decades of constant war to test our new weapons technologies in real world environments. This is Russias chance to combat prove their new weapons.

Less that…more signaling.

But let's be honest…the Russian F2T2EA is utterly pathetic…so even if they have a really fast missile, they're only going to shoot at fixed targets.
aggiehawg
AG
Here's an article (warning long) discussing hypersonic missiles and American plans for development.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/these-are-ten-hypersonic-missiles-america-building-199423

ETA: One excerpt

Quote:

U.S. Air ForceAGM-183 Air-Launched Rapid Response Weapon (ARRW pronounced "arrow")

The Air-Launched Rapid Response Weapon (ARRW) is an air-launched hypersonic missile carried first by a rocket motor before deploying a hypersonic glide vehicle with a conventional warhead. The ARRW is said to have a maximum speed of better than Mach 20 and a range of approximately 575 miles.

Projected Deployment: 2022-2023
ttu_85
RebelE Infantry said:

agent-maroon said:

That can be stupid. They way Russias luck is going one of these things malfunctions and it ends up in a Hunstville, Al lab
ttu_85
aggiehawg said:

Here's an article (warning long) discussing hypersonic missiles and American plans for development.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/these-are-ten-hypersonic-missiles-america-building-199423

ETA: One excerpt

Quote:

U.S. Air ForceAGM-183 Air-Launched Rapid Response Weapon (ARRW pronounced "arrow")

The Air-Launched Rapid Response Weapon (ARRW) is an air-launched hypersonic missile carried first by a rocket motor before deploying a hypersonic glide vehicle with a conventional warhead. The ARRW is said to have a maximum speed of better than Mach 20 and a range of approximately 575 miles.

Projected Deployment: 2022-2023

Mach 20. The heat resistant materials and engineering must be out of this world. Seriously, That is a huge leap
Ag In Ok
AG
At that speed, is a warhead even needed? The energy at impact would be extraordinary, it's as if a warhead would slow it down and reduce the impact.
Robk

I assume the FIM-92 Stinger is one of the new toys?
aggiehawg
AG
Quote:

I assume the FIM-92 Stinger is one of the new toys?
No.

agent-maroon
AG
RebelE Infantry said:

agent-maroon said:

Fair point. Would think that they would delay a demonstration until they weren't struggling against a supposedly inferior fighting force & without a relatively high risk of further embarrassment, but that's just my opinion.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
WesMaroon&White
AG
aggiehawg
AG
agent-maroon said:

RebelE Infantry said:

agent-maroon said:

Fair point. Would think that they would delay a demonstration until they weren't struggling against a supposedly inferior fighting force & without a relatively high risk of further embarrassment, but that's just my opinion.

Or it was a joint effort between Russia and China? And China wanted a test under war time conditions?

Just a WAG.
richardag
WesMaroon&White said:

Reserved seating?
(/sarcasm)
ttu_85
Ag In Ok said:

At that speed, is a warhead even needed? The energy at impact would be extraordinary, it's as if a warhead would slow it down and reduce the impact.
Yep Kinetic energy weapon, KEW's at mach 20 no war head required. Not even at mach 10.

BTW humanity's first kew was a rock. Even monkeys have them. Ours are just a bit faster.
Robk
This may have been posted before, but this is a constantly updated map that easier for me to visualize what is going on.

https://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/The-War-in-Ukraine/091194
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
sclaff
AG
flakrat said:

Wow, now Tw-atter is putting original tweets behind the login wall. A few days ago? it required a login if you scrolled down too far.

Still not going to create an account on that network.
I have found that if you click "sign up", then hit the x in the upper left-hand corner of the pop-up box that results, you can go back to scrolling
PJYoung
AG
IslanderAg04
aggiehawg said:

Quote:

I'm confused as well.

Travels past Mach 5.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Who?mikejones!
74OA
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

They could do more by selling those beauties to American collectors and using the proceeds for Ukraine. I'm sure they'd sell out in no time.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Yes, please!
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Isn't the M14 full auto?
Blackbeard94
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Isn't the M14 full auto?

Yes
Rossticus
First Page Last Page
Page 357 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.