***Russian - Ukraine War Tactical and Strategic Updates*** [Warning on OP]

7,632,699 Views | 47864 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by LMCane
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SidetrackAg said:

GAC06 said:

BoDog said:

Ok, another dumb question.... Is it a forgone conclusion that Russian nukes can reach our shores without being intercepted? I realize if they do indeed have these supersonic missiles then forget it, we are toast but I am talking about conventional intercontinental nukes...

We cannot intercept their ICBM's
Why we cant intercept them?
There's generally three zones you can intercept an ICBM. Remember, these missiles go on parabolic arcs from one side of the world, use the stars as GPS, and then land on the other side of the world.

So your options are:
-Chase it out of its silo and hit it before it gets to space. This requires incredibly close counter capabilities.
-Send hunter rockets up into space to take them out as they travel through space
-Send close range defense missiles up to strike the reentry vehicles as a last minute defense

Now. There are 5000 nukes on each side. Nuclear counter strike doctrine is if you fire one, you fire them all. So if Russia thinks they're going to receive all of America's nukes. They're going to send all of there's out first now.

These defenses aren't nearly prevalent enough to stop all of these ICBMs.

And it doesn't even get into Russia's latest 'hand from the grave' where it is meant to be a submarine launched torpedo that will cause a tsunami on a coastal city.

There is no winning. If you don't die initially, or within a few months of radiation sickness, expect China to make a territorial push as the west is smoldering.
JFABNRGR
AG
wildmen09 said:

CondensedFoggyAggie said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Rossticus said:

I spent 2 weeks in Romania back in 2016.... I can tell you the Romanians (every one I spoke to) would sooner nuke their own country than let the Russians take it over again.
This.

You think we hate Putin and Xi? Pretty much every country neighboring Russia and China hold a deep hatred against them, bordering on xenophobic. Even if the culture and language is similar.

1000%

I did the NATO Officer course back in 2017 and the hatred by the Baltic officers for Russia was unparalleled to anything I have ever seen.
Concur!
From my week training with them all in 1997 in Czech Republic.
Probably the only time in my military career where beer & wine was served at breakfast. After reading about the shelling thats probably why.
P.U.T.U
AG
We have had several large manufactures for mobile and industrial parts say they will no longer sell to Russia. Russia is destroying themselves from within and soon will not be able to get parts for industrial, farming, mining, etc. equipment.

Russia was already a dying nation, Putin just sped up the process
GAC06
AG
I had my doubts about the viability of NATO back in January. Now not so much. Russian aggression, brutality, and military incompetence have given the west some backbone. One of the results of Putin's blunder has been reinvigorating NATO
Rossticus
VitruvianAg
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

SidetrackAg said:

GAC06 said:

BoDog said:

Ok, another dumb question.... Is it a forgone conclusion that Russian nukes can reach our shores without being intercepted? I realize if they do indeed have these supersonic missiles then forget it, we are toast but I am talking about conventional intercontinental nukes...

There's generally three zones you can intercept an ICBM. Remember, these missiles go on parabolic arcs from one side of the world, use the stars as GPS, and then land on the other side of the world.

So your options are:
-Chase it out of its silo and hit it before it gets to space. This requires incredibly close counter capabilities.
-Send hunter rockets up into space to take them out as they travel through space
-Send close range defense missiles up to strike the reentry vehicles as a last minute defense

Now. There are 5000 nukes on each side. Nuclear counter strike doctrine is if you fire one, you fire them all. So if Russia thinks they're going to receive all of America's nukes. They're going to send all of there's out first now.

And it doesn't even get into Russia's latest 'hand from the grave' where it is meant to be a submarine launched torpedo that will cause a tsunami on a coastal city.

There is no winning. If you don't die initially, or within a few months of radiation sickness, expect China to make a territorial push as the west is smoldering.
F that, we don't need to send Russia all 5,000 of our ICBMs. Tell the Chinese they're coming with us, one way or another!

Let's see if they don't talk Putin into standing down on that *****
TheCougarHunter
AG
74OA said:

LMCane said:

MouthBQ98 said:

G Martin 87 said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

And on the "going after Moscow" topic - projecting power is far harder than defending your home. Americans are terrible with our doctrine, but one piece gets drilled in: before assaulting you want a minimum advantage of 3:1. And as we see in Ukraine - advanced anti-armor weapons has exacerbated the asymmetrical capabilities of a defense in depth.

TLDR: Europe marching to Moscow is a fever dream.
Europe marching to Moscow has happened twice before, so that's not really a fever dream from the Russian POV. Europe successfully marching on Moscow, yeah, that's the fever dream.

Both times previously the start was in Poland. Moscow is actually pretty far west in Russia Proper, especially if you are going through a friendly or participating Ukraine. This is all hypothetical though, because while NATO, for example, has a large collective numeric and qualitative advantage in front line units, any such an effort would be telegraphed by the necessary logistical preparations and if any attack can't be sustained to keep defenses off balance and unable to coordinate, the defenses will eventually dig in somewhere in depth at critical points preventing maneuver warfare and inflict serious losses. Just as has happened in Ukraine.

There is only so much "reach" for a breakthrough and exploitation, even with a very modern army, before it must pull up and reorganize and resupply. Critical parts of Russia may just be too deep to consider that. Russia is running into these exact problems in their own attack in Ukraine. They could only push so far before they had to halt to reorganize and resupply and that wasn't nearly as far into Ukraine fast enough to prevent a solid defense from forming in key strategic locations.

And all that is not to mention that if Russia perceived a real threat to an internal attack that might defeat it, they would almost certainly employ tactical nukes on battlefield formations in desperation.
Why are the last two posts discussing Poland?
When the Baltics are now part of NATO, which is what Putin cries about all the time?

NATO forces would be staged well to the east of Poland's borders- and it's a literal straight line to Moscow
Yep, same staging area and same
straight 1000-mile line Napoleon and Hitler used.

Napoleon and Hitlers army were horse-drawn and mostly on foot. Totally different scenario. It's a moot point though because nukes would be flying by the time a land army got close to Moscow…or Warsaw
SPSAg05
AG

Keep stacking that brass! Slava Ukraini!
TheEternalPessimist
74OA said:

LMCane said:

MouthBQ98 said:

G Martin 87 said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

And on the "going after Moscow" topic - projecting power is far harder than defending your home. Americans are terrible with our doctrine, but one piece gets drilled in: before assaulting you want a minimum advantage of 3:1. And as we see in Ukraine - advanced anti-armor weapons has exacerbated the asymmetrical capabilities of a defense in depth.

Europe marching to Moscow has happened twice before, so that's not really a fever dream from the Russian POV. Europe successfully marching on Moscow, yeah, that's the fever dream.

Both times previously the start was in Poland. Moscow is actually pretty far west in Russia Proper, especially if you are going through a friendly or participating Ukraine. This is all hypothetical though, because while NATO, for example, has a large collective numeric and qualitative advantage in front line units, any such an effort would be telegraphed by the necessary logistical preparations and if any attack can't be sustained to keep defenses off balance and unable to coordinate, the defenses will eventually dig in somewhere in depth at critical points preventing maneuver warfare and inflict serious losses. Just as has happened in Ukraine.

There is only so much "reach" for a breakthrough and exploitation, even with a very modern army, before it must pull up and reorganize and resupply. Critical parts of Russia may just be too deep to consider that. Russia is running into these exact problems in their own attack in Ukraine. They could only push so far before they had to halt to reorganize and resupply and that wasn't nearly as far into Ukraine fast enough to prevent a solid defense from forming in key strategic locations.

And all that is not to mention that if Russia perceived a real threat to an internal attack that might defeat it, they would almost certainly employ tactical nukes on battlefield formations in desperation.
When the Baltics are now part of NATO, which is what Putin cries about all the time?

NATO forces would be staged well to the east of Poland's borders- and it's a literal straight line to Moscow
Yep, same staging area and same straight 1000-mile line Napoleon and Hitler used.
Strategically worked out well for the Germans and French in the past.... so why the hell not NATO? Right?
aezmvp
SPSAg05 said:

I'd hold off on that. I can't find anything solid to back it up yet.
EMY92
AG
doctorAg13 said:

No way they agree to disarmament.

The past month indicated that Ukraine isn't armed enough.
TheEternalPessimist
aezmvp said:

SPSAg05 said:

Russians need to use something equivalent to Zoom. Ha.
Rossticus
GAC06
AG

Russians digging in. Perhaps to wait for reinforcements from the East, Georgia, Syria, Armenia, etc?
JB!98
AG
GAC06 said:

Russians digging in. Perhaps to wait for reinforcements from the East, Georgia, Syria, Armenia, etc?
Seems if they fix themselves in place that they would make for some very ripe targets if the Ukes can get to them.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
SidetrackAg
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

SidetrackAg said:

GAC06 said:

BoDog said:

So your options are:

Well that's a great read to start the weekend
Rossticus
Death smiles at us all, but all a man can do is smile back.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I don't think the Russians have figured out they aren't fighting WW2 yet.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
samurai_science
SidetrackAg said:

one MEEN Ag said:

SidetrackAg said:

GAC06 said:

BoDog said:

So your options are:

Well that's a great read to start the weekend
They also have MIRVs

Also, good luck stopping sub launched missiles, the launch warning and time to impact can be minutes.
SPSAg05
AG
aezmvp said:

SPSAg05 said:

Some more smoke.....

"According to preliminary information, the commander of the 8th All-Military Army of the Southern Military District of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, Lieutenant General Andriy Mordvichov, was killed in Chornobayivka, reports"
GAC06
AG
Yeah, stuff like switchblade will make short work of vehicles like that. They'd be better off just trying to hide them
Who?mikejones!
Warning- very distressing video with injured child

fullback44
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

Terrible
Fightin_Aggie
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

God that breaks my heart. Ffs
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
Ulysses90
AG
TheEternalPessimist said:

74OA said:

LMCane said:

MouthBQ98 said:

G Martin 87 said:

Get Off My Lawn said:

Yep, same staging area and same straight 1000-mile line Napoleon and Hitler used.
Strategically worked out well for the Germans and French in the past.... so why the hell not NATO? Right?

Without the railroads fully operational and under NATO control there is no way a land Army could move fast over that distance.

In the 1950s the US Army bought about a dozen specially configured locomotives, designated MRS-1, that had the huge price tag of $500k each. They were optimized for cold weather operations and could be adapted to run on any guage rail and to use inside or outside flange wheels (not sure why the in-out flange is important). They were to be used to pull the heavy trains during the counter offensive to push Soviet invaders out of Germany and France and across the Eastern Bloc countries. By the early 1970s somebody decided that they weren't worth the trouble to maintain and they got sold off. I believe that at least one or two are still in use in Alaska on narrow guage lines.
andrewch783
AG
You really ought to put a warning on something like that.
Rossticus
SPSAg05
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

After seeing way too much of this, if it means ending Vladimir Putin's life, I am 100% okay with starting World War III.
C@LAg
andrewch783 said:

You really ought to put a warning on something like that.
disagree.

many of us may act like children here, but we are all adults , and this is "Real Life".
Rossticus
This is what Russian wars look like. Soldiers vs Defenseless Civilians

oldcrow91
AG
Rossticus said:

More meat for the grinder, eh?
ATX_AG_08
AG
wangus12
AG
Rossticus said:

Didn't this get reported several days ago and then there were reports of Armenian troops refusing to go?
Rossticus
Rossticus
I this these are Russians stationed in Armenia, not Armenians.
First Page Last Page
Page 353 of 1368

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.